Photo
- - - - -

Is a 5150 (involuntary 3 day hold) on your criminal record?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3118 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

I was giving a presentation on my experiences with mental illness with a second presenter to a high school class. He has his MFT and he said he wouldn't be able to work in that field if he had a 5150 on his record because it's a misdemeanor. I was wondering if that is true.

I was picked up by the police and taken by ambulance to a county mental facility. I signed voluntary and never went to court. I stayed for 3 days and signed that I wouldn't possess a firearm for 5 years. There were no criminal charges. I wasn't threatening to harm myself or anyone, but I was running around and refusing to go with my parents.

Would this show up on a background check? Is it a crime?

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel

It just may be a lunatic you're looking for

Billy Joel

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

#2 apetasticaL

apetasticaL

scatterbrained scribbler

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

i am curious about this as well. i have a few involuntary admissions, two of which i received a TDO [temporary detention order] from the police and had to go in front of a judge, where it was determined that i could be kept against my will for up to 30 days. the TDO papers were served to me by the police, and looked very much like legal/police paperwork and were signed by policemen. i have always wondered if these things would show up on my permanent record. i guess i am lucky that my current job did not do a background check, if that is the case.
smiling despair. no solution, but constantly exercising an authority over myself that i know is useless. the essential thing is not to lose oneself, and not to lose that part of oneself that lies sleeping in the world. -albert camus

dx: bipolar disorder NOS, borderline personality disorder, substance abuse
rx: lamotrigine 25 [titrating back to 200], aripiprazole 10, topiramate 50

past rx: lithium carbonate, divalproex sodium, levetiracetam, gabapentin, fluoxetine, paroxetine, doxepin, trazodone, quetiapine, paliperidone, olanzapine, ziprasidone, risperidone, trifluoperazine, methylphenidate, phenobarbital, chlordiazepoxide, diazepam, clonazepam, lorazepam, temazepam, buspirone, hydroxyzine, zolpidem, ramelteon

#3 Damik

Damik

• Pip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

It goes on your medical record, not your criminal record. So somebody running a background check wouldn't be able to see it unless they had access to your medical records.

EDIT: The 5150. I'm not sure about the other one.

Edited by Damik, 19 June 2012 - 04:16 PM.

DX: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder, Schizoaffective Disorder Depressive Type, Insomnia, Borderline Personality Disorder and Overly Dramatic Person Who Gets Worse With Treatment

RX: Neurontin 600mg 2x/day, Fanapt 8mg 2x/day, Synthroid 0.112mg, Prozac 40mg

Former RX: Zyprexa, Moban, Risperidone, Geodon, Methylin, Strattera, Seroquel, Abilify, Effexor, Latuda, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Zanax, Ativan, Depakote, Tegretol, Remeron, Luvox, Pristiq, Emsam, Trileptal, Restoril, Saphris, Topamax, Lithium, Seroquel, Thorazine, Klonipin

Time still goes on

Through each life of misery

Everybody's got a hold on hope

It's the last thing that's holding me

-Guided by Voices

#4 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Specific to Calif:

(f) (1) No person who has been (A) taken into custody as provided
in Section 5150 because that person is a danger to himself, herself,
or to others, (B) assessed within the meaning of Section 5151, and
© admitted to a designated facility within the meaning of Sections
5151 and 5152 because that person is a danger to himself, herself, or
others, shall own, possess, control, receive, or purchase, or
attempt to own, possess, control, receive, or purchase any firearm
for a period of five years after the person is released from the
facility. A person described in the preceding sentence, however, may
own, possess, control, receive, or purchase, or attempt to own,
possess, control, receive, or purchase any firearm if the superior
court has, pursuant to paragraph (5), found that the People of the
State of California have not met their burden pursuant to paragraph
(6).
(2) (A) For each person subject to this subdivision, the facility
shall immediately, on the date of admission, submit a report to the
Department of Justice, on a form prescribed by the Department of
Justice, containing information that includes, but is not limited to,
the identity of the person and the legal grounds upon which the
person was admitted to the facility.
Any report submitted pursuant to this paragraph shall be
confidential, except for purposes of the court proceedings described
in this subdivision and for determining the eligibility of the person
to own, possess, control, receive, or purchase a firearm.

I have had some very specific job requirements that required me to fess up about anything mental illness related.

Court proceedings are generally public information though some things can be restricted from public view. Minors cases, for example.

#5 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3118 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Specific to Calif:

(f) (1) No person who has been (A) taken into custody as provided
in Section 5150 because that person is a danger to himself, herself,
or to others, (B) assessed within the meaning of Section 5151, and
© admitted to a designated facility within the meaning of Sections
5151 and 5152 because that person is a danger to himself, herself, or
others, shall own, possess, control, receive, or purchase, or
attempt to own, possess, control, receive, or purchase any firearm
for a period of five years after the person is released from the
facility. A person described in the preceding sentence, however, may
own, possess, control, receive, or purchase, or attempt to own,
possess, control, receive, or purchase any firearm if the superior
court has, pursuant to paragraph (5), found that the People of the
State of California have not met their burden pursuant to paragraph
(6).
(2) (A) For each person subject to this subdivision, the facility
shall immediately, on the date of admission, submit a report to the
Department of Justice, on a form prescribed by the Department of
Justice, containing information that includes, but is not limited to,
the identity of the person and the legal grounds upon which the
person was admitted to the facility.
Any report submitted pursuant to this paragraph shall be
confidential, except for purposes of the court proceedings described
in this subdivision and for determining the eligibility of the person
to own, possess, control, receive, or purchase a firearm.

I have had some very specific job requirements that required me to fess up about anything mental illness related.

Court proceedings are generally public information though some things can be restricted from public view. Minors cases, for example.

Thank you. It says it should be confidential except court proceeding and having firearms. Does that mean if I didn't go to court that no one can see it? I'm sorry, I have trouble with legalese

Billy Joel

#6 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

-It is not a crime to be mentally ill
-It is not a crime to be involuntarily committed, though it is a legal action of the court
-If you voluntarily admit yourself that is no different than any other medical admission, and not open to public scrutiny

-If you were arrested and booked, but charges dropped due to being involuntarily committed, the fact of the arrest may be available through certain public or pay-for-access databases. Ask a lawyer or private investigator about public access or to have them check your public record.

-An involuntary commitment is an action of the court, is a matter of public record, and is recorded in police records. The details, however, are not public information.

Note: The term "5150" refers to California legal code and is not applicable in any other state. However, all states have some law or code providing for involuntary committment. Example, in Florida it is called "Baker Act".

If anyone has concerns, then pay a lawyer for an hour or two of consultation. That is what they do!

Edited by AirMarshall, 19 June 2012 - 07:01 PM.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#7 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8619 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

When I interned at the D.A.'s office (the. worst.), we researched defendants on whatever type of database they used to keep track of criminal records in 1993. Non conviction activity, e.g. arrests without charges (called a "contact"), any charges brought against someone, even if they were acquitted, and 5150s (plus there is a city version, I forget the statute number) were included there. Only Attorneys and police/investigators had access to the database. This was not the same as a rap sheet.

I have never heard of any of that kind of information becoming public. Legally, it doesn't exist. But I saw and used it. So somewhere in the bowels of the criminal justice system there may be a record that you were 5150'd, but it is only going to become relevant if you get arrested and use an insanity defense. Not likely.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#8 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3118 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

Thanks

I don't have any upcoming plans, I just wondered when he said that if there are certain things I wouldn't be able to do because of my history. So he was wrong and you could be a mft or other mental health professions after a hold?

Billy Joel

#9 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

I worked in a HR office for years and did a lot of pre-employment background checks.

Generally, a Bkgrnd ck consists of a state database check. It consists of finding both misdemeanor and felony convictions (NOT arrests). This generally is tailored to the specific question asked to you on the employment application. The normal question that is asked in banking (the area I worked in) is: Have you ever been *convicted* of a misdemeanor or felony? Not charged, not arrested, not detained. Convicted.

I was once arrested and spent about three hours in jail because I had a bench warrant for failure to pay a moving violation. I've never once disclosed this fact in any of my applications, because although my fingerprints and arrest record are in the system, I was never convicted of a misdemeanor or felony. I paid my ticket and got out of jail.

I did the same thing with my involuntary commitment back in 08. I've never disclosed it, although I must admit I only had one three-month long job after that hospitalization before going on SSDI.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#10 vanderk

vanderk

Thimk!

• Pip
  • 844 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

As AM mentioned above, each state has some term for involuntary treatment. For anyone interested in my Mitten state, anyone who is placed on an Initial (90 day) or Continuing (one year) treatment order, this does register on the LEIN (Law Enforcement Information Network). This can be accessed during background checks, weapons permits, etc. And the information stays in the LEIN even after expiration of said order. People who defer/stipulate to treatment under an involuntary commitment are not (typically) placed on an order, and hence the commitment will not show up.

For the sake of clarification, this is not construed as a misdemeanor or any other type of crime. But it does have law enforcement implications.
I believe in everything, nothing is sacred.
I believe in nothing, everything is sacred.
Ha ha, ho ho,and hee hee.

The Chink

#11 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

Thanks

I don't have any upcoming plans, I just wondered when he said that if there are certain things I wouldn't be able to do because of my history. So he was wrong and you could be a mft or other mental health professions after a hold?

It is really had to draw conclusions in cases of hearsay.

#12 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3118 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

It is really had to draw conclusions in cases of hearsay.

Thanks for the information you posted. If it ever becomes an issue I'll ask a lawyer like am suggested

Billy Joel

#13 dancesintherain

dancesintherain

• Pip
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

As a quick disclaimer, another reason it's worth consulting a lawyer if it becomes important is that the situation is likely very state-dependent. For example, in DC, involuntary commitments are available as a matter of public record if you walk into the court house and go to the right office. They don't show up on regular criminal background checks and it's very limited information, but they are accessible. That said, very few people know about it.

Sorry, don't mean to scare people--just to give you a head's up that there's some variation.

Edited by dancesintherain, 20 June 2012 - 12:08 PM.

Dx: bipolar I. Some ADD symptoms, some GAD symptoms. Lots of fun.

current RXs re generics of: Ativan (0.5 mg a.m. and  sometimes p.m.); WellbutrinXL (300mg a.m.); Abilify (15mgs a.m.); Adderall (5-20 mg up to twice per day....an experiment); Seroquel (25 or 50 mg) as emergency sleep med.

Also synthroid and cytomel (25 mcg each) and allergy drug.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (something nasty); seroquel; ambien; sonata (all worked at different points in time, just changed for different reasons); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation); geodon (sedation issues); phentermine (helped with appetite, but not with energy, which is what I really needed it for); zyprexa (was just for sleep, and strangely it wouldn't induce it); lamictal (did wonderful anti-depressant things, stopped in order to see if it was causing lethargy).

#14 Josephine

Josephine

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:20 AM

You can check that easily here. A friend of mine uses them all the time for HR background checks and he says it is very reliable,

#15 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

You can check that easily here. A friend of mine uses them all the time for HR background checks and he says it is very reliable,

Those all cost money. An excellent FREE background check I use is crimetime.com, which links to blackbookonline.com. You can do various background checks on anyone in any state using public databases.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.