• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ctane

ctane

continuously confused

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

I've been progressing through treatment with a psychiatrist, at last, after many years of problems and have had increasing success as medication has been applied. It now seems, though, there may be hypothyroidism at play (Hashimoto). Reading up on this form of the condition, it seems to present with many symptoms associated with mental illness. I'm wondering, if this is possibly the source of much or all of my symptoms, why have the medications prescribed by my psychiatrist been particularly effective? (at least in some key areas)

While I'm here, has anyone else had a similar experience?

#2 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

Thyroid problems can mimic various MI symptoms. A good psychiatrist will order a physical workup with Complete Metabolic Panel with TSH, as part of intake with new patients in order to rule out physical causes.

For anyone takeing AP's or AAP's or Lithium these tests should probably be done annually, since the meds can have effects on the liver and other systems. Lithium always runs a risk of thyroid interactions (noting of course that people with Bipolar Disorder have a 30% chance of thyroid problems regardless of medication per Kay Jamison text).

I've been on Synthroid since a month after starting Lithium and it has help me tremendously. My pre-lithium TSH check was good, but I swear I was having low thyroid symptoms for several months prior anyhow.

The good thing is that most thryoid problems are pretty straightforward once diagnosed, and treatments are well tolerated and effective. I'm not well read on Hashimoto's though.

best, a.m.

Edited by AirMarshall, 19 June 2012 - 07:29 PM.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#3 Mamabug

Mamabug

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and one of the first things I notice when my thyroid is out of whack is that my depression and panic attacks worsen. It has taken a few years to get to the point where I realize it may be my thyroid instead of just my regular depression. I usually have blood tests every 6 months so we can catch any variations quickly, but with Hashimoto's disease your thyroid levels change fast. Good luck.
diagnosis- major depressive disorder, social anxiety, panic disorder, insomnia, recovering drug addict (11+years sober)
meds- zoloft
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. ~Albert Camus

#4 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9129 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

I moved this to the hormones and glands forum.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#5 lavender fairy

lavender fairy

• Pip
  • 727 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

I have Graves disease, which is another autoimmune thyroid condition. I had my only hypomanic-like episode when I was extremely hyperthyroid from the Graves.

My current doc tells me I also had/have Hashimotos as well based on my antibody tests. I say had because I my thyroid was removed about 2 years ago. So the highs and lows can't affect me like they once did. I have suffered from hypothyroidism since my thyroid was removed, and that precipitated one horrible depressive episode. I didn't even realize I was depressed until it got very bad because I thought it was all attributable to my thyroid.

For me, this has not been so easy to manage. I had to go through several different thyroid meds before I found one that worked for me. I still get my thyroid levels checked monthly/bimonthly when I see my doc for adjustments to my thyroid meds.

DX: C-PTSD, Major Depression, Alcoholism-sober for 10 years, Fibromyalgia, Graves Disease, No Thyroid, Sleep Apnea, Periods from Hell, "wheezy lungs"
TX: Talk Therapy, Abilify 7.5 mg, Effexor 225 mg, Neurontin 1800 mg, Metformin 500 mg, Armour Thyroid 240 mg, CPAP, Lysteda 600 mg 3x/daily during menstrual cycles, Albuterol inhaler

#6 kittyloaf

kittyloaf

• Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:29 AM

I found out I had hypothyroidism from a routine blood test in 2010, before lithium.

It took a long time for me to find the right dose of levothyroxine but I just had a test and it is in the normal range on 0.1 mg levothyroxine. It is probably no coincidence that I am also feeling not depressed any more. I still need ADs but I don't doubt my thyroid is involved in my depression too.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder-bipolar type, PTSD, social anxiety disorder, ADHD inattentive, trichotillomania, physical stuff
Meds: Seroquel IR (300 mg), Topamax (200 mg), Cymbalta (90 mg), Vitamin D (50,000 IU), Effexor XR (300 mg), Ativan (1 mg prn), levothyroxine (0.100 mg), copper IUD

#7 steves

steves

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

i have graves disease or had i had my thyroid killed bye radiation now im hypothroid . Ihave to take synthroid daily .
prozac 40mg,Risperdal 4mg,trileptal 1200mg,ativan 1mg 4x daily,Topamax 100mg,trazadone150mg

Previous rx, ,navane,/geodon,zyprexa,abilify,seroquel,saphris,haldol,prolixin,invega, and more i can't think of at the moment
AD's paxil,lexapro,zoloft,effexor,celexa,......
klonopin, xanex,

#8 dancesintherain

dancesintherain

• Pip
  • 710 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

It's really strange to me how frequently they co-exist, but they do seem to...so it could be that your symptoms were responsive to psych meds because you have a mental illness and that you'll respond to thyroid meds b/c your thyroid is out of whack. That was the case for me and it seems like many others.

Dx: bipolar I. Some ADD symptoms, some GAD symptoms. Lots of fun.

current RXs re generics of: Ativan (0.5 mg a.m. and  sometimes p.m.); WellbutrinXL (300mg a.m.); Abilify (15mgs a.m.); Adderall (20 mg XR and 20 mg IR in morning, 20 mg IR in early afternoon); Seroquel (25 or 50 mg) as emergency sleep med.

Also synthroid and cytomel (25 mcg each) and allergy drug.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (something nasty); seroquel; ambien; sonata (all worked at different points in time, just changed for different reasons); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation); geodon (sedation issues); phentermine (helped with appetite, but not with energy, which is what I really needed it for); zyprexa (was just for sleep, and strangely it wouldn't induce it); lamictal (did wonderful anti-depressant things, stopped in order to see if it was causing lethargy).

#9 olohian

olohian

Smiley

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

I took syntroid. But I stopped taking it when I stopped taking my mental meds.. My thyroild has started working normal again.. I am not sure how long I can stay off the mental meds though..
“One thing you can't hide - is when you're crippled inside.”
John Lennon

#10 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 5971 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

olohian, that's interesting.

I had low thyroid levels and since having corrected (mostly) my MH issues, I now no longer (at least not right now) need the thyroid med either.

A little different than what you are saying, but I'm continually fascinated by how interconnected all this stuff is.

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#11 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 20847 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:49 AM

I have Graves' and am on medication for it. I found this link that might be helpful:

http://www.stoptheth...-mental-health/

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#12 HAL9000

HAL9000

My mind is going. I can feel it....

• Pip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

I have another hormone problem and that one mimics MI issues (for sure) The bad part is that its possible (Not always!) to have both problems.

"I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over.  Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a...fraid. "

About Me
Current Diagnosis / DX: Major depressive disorder, Anxiety -> PTSD, Insomnia
Meds: Bupropion SR(Wellbutrin SR®), Buspirone(BuSpar®), Zolpidem ER(Ambien CR®) and Diazepam(Valium®) as needed / PRN
ExMeds:Vistaril(Atarax), Citalopram (Celexa®), Trazadon

#13 Crazyangel

Crazyangel

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

I had my first panic attack when my hashimotos kicked in. Before that I was just anxiety ridden. Never had a full blown panic attack. A few wks later my routine bloodworm showed borderline TSH, and I came back positive for hashimotos a week after tat. I have had recurring MDD since my teenage years, and haven't had an episode for years, until I got sick and had to begin the regulating adventure. With my thyroid levels regulated, I noticed instantly that something was different in my brain than it had ever been before. My memory, attention, anxiety, and depression symptoms are different than I've ever experienced in my life. Now that I know that cytomel is sometimes rxed for depression, I get it. Cytomel changes your dopamine and norepinephrine levels. T3 is an instant metabolism boost. Very stimulant like. I now realize that everything I've learned about my mental health, and what treats my brain chemistry well or not, has completely changed. Between a different metabolism, and new medications changing everything about my body, I'm a whole mother animal now. It's a chicken or the egg type question, so all I know is I'm very different than I was per Hashimotos.

#14 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2633 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:07 AM

I was crazy long before thyroid issues were detected. This includes being on lithium several different times. So, we are all blaming the lithium. I'm fighting not going back on synthroid because it made me vomit too much and did nothing helpful.

db

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1500 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg

topamax 50mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

"Psychiatry is just this year's candy pink stove." from the tv show Madmen.

#15 melissaw72

melissaw72

• Pip
  • 20847 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:25 AM

I was crazy long before thyroid issues were detected. This includes being on lithium several different times. So, we are all blaming the lithium. I'm fighting not going back on synthroid because it made me vomit too much and did nothing helpful.

db

Is there another thyroid medication that could help?

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran.

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#16 lavender fairy

lavender fairy

• Pip
  • 727 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

db

Is there another thyroid medication that could help?

I take Armour thyroid, which is made from pig thyroid, rather than Synthroid, which is synthetic. If you had a bad reaction to Synthroid, you might ask your doctor about Armour. Another option is Cytomel, which is aso synthetic, but also has a different hormone than Synthroid and agrees with some people better.

DX: C-PTSD, Major Depression, Alcoholism-sober for 10 years, Fibromyalgia, Graves Disease, No Thyroid, Sleep Apnea, Periods from Hell, "wheezy lungs"
TX: Talk Therapy, Abilify 7.5 mg, Effexor 225 mg, Neurontin 1800 mg, Metformin 500 mg, Armour Thyroid 240 mg, CPAP, Lysteda 600 mg 3x/daily during menstrual cycles, Albuterol inhaler

#17 tothepointe

tothepointe

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

db

You could try taking it at a different time. Contrary to common belief it doesn't have to be taken first thing in the morning. I take mine at night it absorbs better because peristalsis is slower at night. I don't worry so much about the empty stomach thing because your dose is based on your levels anyways so as long as your doing the same thing every day

#18 melissaw72

melissaw72

• Pip
  • 20847 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

I take mine at night also.

#19 snugglepuss

snugglepuss

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

I have hypothyroidism and bipolar. I believe they are separate medical issues and I don't believe one caused the other. Recently, my TSH has been going up, up and up. I keep getting my Levothyroxine raised every 6 weeks for the last 4 months. Before that, my levels were stable for 2 years. My bipolar was also pretty stable during that time, but I'm starting to find myself more depressed lately. The bipolar and hypothyroid probably aggravate each other.
Dx: Bipolar I - mixed w/ psychosis, BPD (which I don't think applies anymore)
Meds: 1000 mg of Depakote, 2 mg of Risperidal, 100 mg of Welbutrine SR, 75 mcg Levothyroxine

#20 Sjs

Sjs

• Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

snugglepuss, according to my pdoc and many studies, hypothyroidism and MI are directly related. In fact low thyroid can actually mimic MI. Some people have actually been misdiagnosed as MI when it was indeed just thyroid issues.

I just started on T3 (not sure the medical name for it) recently and I feel TONS better. My TSH levels were within normal range but my pdoc wanted to see higher/lower levels (I don't remember which, sometimes I don't pay close enough attention at my appts).

Of course you are entitled to your opinion as to if the two are related in your circumstance, but if you are interested there is plenty of information out there if you choose to research it.

DX BPII
Lamectic 300mg, Latuda 80mg, 100mcg Litothyronine

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hypothyroidism, thyroid, diagnosis, uncertainty, treatment

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.