Photo

Hypothyroidism and mental illness

hypothyroidism thyroid diagnosis uncertainty treatment

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 18862 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

snugglepuss, according to my pdoc and many studies, hypothyroidism and MI are directly related. In fact low thyroid can actually mimic MI. Some people have actually been misdiagnosed as MI when it was indeed just thyroid issues.

I just started on T3 (not sure the medical name for it) recently and I feel TONS better. My TSH levels were within normal range but my pdoc wanted to see higher/lower levels (I don't remember which, sometimes I don't pay close enough attention at my appts).

Of course you are entitled to your opinion as to if the two are related in your circumstance, but if you are interested there is plenty of information out there if you choose to research it.

^ THIS

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#22 WhiteFemale

WhiteFemale

• Pip
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

I wouldn't get to optimistic or anything.
I thought maybe my thyroid would be the key to my health, but it's not.
I was able to completely correct my levels with hormones, and I still had all the problems I did before.

Lately I haven't been taking my hormones...
idk why, they're free and i have them
you're making me think i should start taking them again
because at least then i'd feel a little bit better.

i know that getting hypothyroidism treated CAN really give you more energy
make you feel much better
lighten some of your depression
etc

i hope you're one of the lucky ones who really does just have a glandular problem

Dx: Bipolar, BPD, Depersonalization Disorder, Chronic Insomnia, GAD, etc.

Rx: Carbamazepine, Gabapentin, Trazodone, Omeprazole, Nuvaring.

#23 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Guys my heart has been dropping for like 7 yr's A pastor said it was the conviction of the Holy spirit but as I did some research I looked and found that some ppl have had feelings like I'm describing. It's not your normal fast heart rate rather it is like the feeling when your about to get in a car wreck and your heart drops.....I have had so much depression and I have had so many mood swings that it's hard to keep up with all this. I am under so much stress which could be the klonopin withdrawal but, my interest is more leading me to this since I have had this symptom for 7 yr's and I know the tests like blood test are supposed to find it but, also that it can be missed and I have only had about 15 blood tests since 05 and most of them where on full stomachs and not fasting. So I'm calling my MD tommorrow and seeing if this is something they can look into. Also I know I have voices so I will probaly have to be on some meds but this could be the answer I have been looking for.

Diagnosed Drug Induced Psychosis...ADHD.....OCD.....Cannibas Psychotic Disorder..GAD.....Major Depression disorder-recurrent...Severe, Bipolar I....Migraines, Cluster headaches.... .

Gabapentin...600 mg once a day....Effexor XR 75 mg.....Risperdal...4 mg....Zoloft 200 mg...Valporic acid 250 mg... clonazepam 1 mg twice daily. Seroquel 200 mg once at night.....Prilosec 25 mg in the morning......Inderal 60 mg ER one in the morning. Remeron 45 mg once at night. Naratriptan 2.5 PRN .....Lyrica 75 mg 3x daily....Paxil 40 mg....

The sun is a round window into the city of gold.

#24 lavender fairy

lavender fairy

• Pip
  • 685 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

You don't have to fast for a thyroid blood test.  Also, thyroid issues don't cause voices.  If you just stopped Klonopin. that could explain your anxiety.  But if you think it might be thyroid related, you can always call your doctor and ask for a thyroid pannel. 

DX: C-PTSD, Major Depression, Alcoholism-sober for 10 years, Fibromyalgia, Graves Disease, No Thyroid, Sleep Apnea, Periods from Hell, "wheezy lungs"
TX: Talk Therapy, Abilify 7.5 mg, Effexor 225 mg, Neurontin 1800 mg, Metformin 500 mg, Armour Thyroid 240 mg, CPAP, Lysteda 600 mg 3x/daily during menstrual cycles, Albuterol inhaler

#25 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 18862 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

It could be thyroid-related:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....cles/PMC419396/

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#26 dnautics

dnautics

• Pip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:43 PM

Thyroid levels at extremes can cause psychosis and mood changes. I have hashimato's and I too was hoping it was the cure to my problems, however, when my levels balanced out I still have mood issues, which does nothing but confirm my schizoaffective diagnosis. What makes it even worse is there is a wide-level of accepted thyroid TSH ranges. You could still have symptoms because your number is to low or high (within the accepted range). Also, some people need T3 in combination with T4. 

Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar) - Latuda 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 150mg, Klonopin 2MG (bedtime), Armour 120mg

Other DX:  Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 

#27 Sarah B1987

Sarah B1987

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

I was told today that my test results showed that I need more hormones and I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and MDD. I don't know much about any of it really just that I have struggled with the depression part for close to 15 years. If there is any good info out there I would love to read it 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hypothyroidism, thyroid, diagnosis, uncertainty, treatment

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.