Panic attacks when lying down trying to sleep

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Likeabowlof0ranges

Likeabowlof0ranges

• Pip
  • 729 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

So this has never happened to me before, and it was gross and scary so I'm just looking for reassurance and suggestions. I lay down to sleep about an hour ago and I had a really bad panic attack. I have never had one come on so suddenly, or when I was trying to sleep. I hadn't had one in about forever, and I have no idea what triggered it. But it was awful, I was hyperventilating and crying and woke up my boyfriend. I felt like I was going to be sick for sure, so I dry heaved for like 20 minutes and my throat hurts and I still feel awful. Now I'm scared to lay down in the dark in case it happens again. So I think I'm just going to stay up until I can't any longer.
Bipolar Disorder I, generalised anxiety disorder, social anxiety, somewhere on the aspergers/autism spectrum, non - verbal learning disorder, EDNOS
Current Meds: Seroquel 650 mg, Lamicital 350mg, Ativan 3mg, Abilify 10mg, Temazepam 30mg, Klonopin PRN <p>Previous Meds: Lithium, Zoloft, Lexapro, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Pristiq

#2 yara

yara

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

Funny, same thing happened to me last night. Well, it didn't last as long as yours but it was quite a surprise. I have never had a panic attack at night...always during the day, mostly driving. Nevertheless, last night it hit me like a wall. I didn't want to wake up my husband, so I just listened to the music in my phone until it went away.

Eventually, I did fall asleep and the rest of the night was ok. I'm ok so far today. I hope it doesn't happen again. Hang in there, panic attacks are definitely not one of my favorite situations.
DX- Bipolar 1 Messianic with untreated ADHD and generalized anxiety disorder and a pinch of corporate PTSD

Diet- 1,500 mg of Depakote XR, Klonopin 1.5 a day, 2 mg Cogentin, Vistaril 25 mg to sleep.

In case of emergency Earl Grey tea (trick I got from Star Trek) Jean-Luc Picard "'Tea, Earl Grey: hot' with milk'

#3 Miracle

Miracle

The time is always NOW (Peter Beard)

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

Talked about this very problem with my pdoc.

I'm hypervigilent most of the time, and I hate going to bed. When I do relaxation exercises, sometimes I get triggered.

Doc says that when we relax our filter drops lower. IOW, when I'm hypervigilent my filter is set pretty high, and I'm screening out a lot of internal cues, thoughts, memories, in order to focus on what I need to be doing. But when relaxation comes, the filter drops and doesn't screen out all the intrusive thoughts and memories.

My brain learned that relaxing wasn't safe. So I have to retrain it.
Tattered memories

tat·ter
[tat-er] noun
1. a torn piece hanging loose from the main part, as of a garment or flag.
2. a separate torn piece; shred.

#4 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9371 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

Likeabowloforanges, have you been able to take a CBT class? It trains you to address exactly this kind of feedback loop.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Fish Oil; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate the boards for Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Neuropathic and Chronic Pain, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, Relationships, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#5 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

When I try to lay down and go to sleep, it's like a switch turns on in my brain, and I start getting flashes of horrible and stressful things that could happen to me. I can't control them, and they come out of nowhere. I'll be almost asleep and then BOOM! A flash of an image (example:my husband loses his job). Sometimes they trigger anxiety in me, sometimes I can talk myself through them.

Lather, rinse, and repeat throughout the night. Ive basically taught myself to never go to bed unless I'm absolutely exhausted, so I can fall asleep in less time than these flashes have time to occur. It's led me to fighting sleep tremendously, and to frequently suffer from insomnia.

My daughter (11) has physical attacks when she's trying to sleep. We are trying therapy and a light sleeping aid to calm her down. So far, it's been working better since the addition of the medication.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#6 Likeabowlof0ranges

Likeabowlof0ranges

• Pip
  • 729 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

I'm sorry it happened to you Yara, must have been a bad day for the universe yesterday. I think the thing that got me most was the whole, it doesn't usually happen at night, or when I'm at home just relaxing. The filter thing is interesting Miracle, I wasn't feeling particularly defensful. I'm on uni break and I don't have a lot of stress right now. I think I may have subconsciously been worrying about meeting my new pdoc on Monday. Gizmo that must be so tough about your daughter. I already have bouts of insomnia that I've learnt not to let them get to me, as I know there is not that much I can do to force sleep. I ended up staying up all night because I was scared it would happen again. I'm lying on the couch now in the daytime in the hopes that I can nap without getting freaked out.
Bipolar Disorder I, generalised anxiety disorder, social anxiety, somewhere on the aspergers/autism spectrum, non - verbal learning disorder, EDNOS
Current Meds: Seroquel 650 mg, Lamicital 350mg, Ativan 3mg, Abilify 10mg, Temazepam 30mg, Klonopin PRN <p>Previous Meds: Lithium, Zoloft, Lexapro, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Pristiq

#7 Likeabowlof0ranges

Likeabowlof0ranges

• Pip
  • 729 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

Oh crtlms I have done a lot of CBT about relaxation and thought stopping etc, I just always forget to put it into practise until I'm way over my head. I should do that more, thanks for the reminder!

#8 Miracle

Miracle

The time is always NOW (Peter Beard)

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Like a bowl of Oranges,

The fastest intervention that I know of, is to count your breath and lengthen the exhale.

E.g. 2 secs in / 2 secs out (typical for me), just count 3 seconds to exhale.

Then when you're breathing 3/3, just count 4 seconds to exhale.

Etc.

When you're exhaling your parasympathetic nervous system is in control. That's the restorative part. When you lengthen the exhale, your brain gets the message that danger has passed (in as few as 3 to 5 breaths).

I learned to do this immediately after being startled and it has helped me a lot.
Tattered memories

tat·ter
[tat-er] noun
1. a torn piece hanging loose from the main part, as of a garment or flag.
2. a separate torn piece; shred.

#9 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

I hope this doesn't continue to be a problem. Have you tried any meditation?

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#10 Likeabowlof0ranges

Likeabowlof0ranges

• Pip
  • 729 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:44 AM

Me neither! I take the max dose of Wellbutrin for anxiety. I don't take sleeping pills, because to be honest they never really helped me much and made me feel perpetually hung over. My pdoc said I was too young to be on benzodazzipines of any kind, also I'm kinda wary to even start.

#11 2Spirals

2Spirals

Keeping this human mind entertained.

• Pip
  • 752 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

When I try to lay down and go to sleep, it's like a switch turns on in my brain, and I start getting flashes of horrible and stressful things that could happen to me. I can't control them, and they come out of nowhere. I'll be almost asleep and then BOOM! A flash of an image (example:my husband loses his job). Sometimes they trigger anxiety in me, sometimes I can talk myself through them.

Lately I've had insomnia and my brain gets to thinking about things when I'm trying to fall asleep. Every single night, I have these thoughts about horrible and stressful things that could happen to me, and thoughts of really terrible ways to die.

Also, I have anxiety issues lately, when trying to fall asleep. It seems like I just can't shut off my brain from thinking, and then I start paying attention to every tiny thing my body is doing and start freaking out, etc.

When/if it gets really really bad I will take a Lorazepam and that usually solves the problem within a half hour. It really helps for falling asleep and taking away the anxiety and bad thoughts. I just wish I could take it every night, but I don't want to build up a tolerance to them.

Diagnosis: Bipolar I, Generalized Anxiety Disorder & Panic Disorder
Medications: Lamictal 200mg, Lorazepam 2mg (PRN), Clonazepam 2mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Lyrica 50mg
Old Medications: Buspar, Paxil, Lexapro, Lamictal, Topamax, Geodon, Clonazepam, Abilify, Seroquel XR, Citalopram, Risperidone, Seroquel IR, Viibryd, wellbutrin

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.