If you miss a dose, then take it the following day

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 LexFlex

LexFlex

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hi to everybody out there who are on AP's.. Lets say you miss a dose, but you take it the next following day. How do you feel? Usually if I miss one dose and take it the next day I don't notice much of a difference. But I'm suspicious my thinking will change somewhat slightly because of it. Its got me worried a bit.

#2 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

If it happens once in a while, I'm okay. If it happens several days in the same week- not so much.

What do you mean you're afraid your thinking will change because of it?

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#3 Furious George

Furious George

• Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

I can go 2 days at the most without any noticeable changes. The 3rd day and shit starts going sideways. I bought at alarm clock that is set specifically for my med times, so I don't forget.

#4 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4307 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

Honestly, it depends on which med we're talking about. Some of them I notice pretty quickly. Others, it takes a week or more.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#5 wj74

wj74

complicated

• Pip
  • 2280 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

I notice more of a difference missing the Lamictal than I do the seroquel.

SZA, bipolar type.

#6 LexFlex

LexFlex

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Well if I miss a dose my thinking is fine but by like the third missed one my thinking, feelings, emotions start effecting me negatively. Thats what I meant by 'I'm afraid my thinking will change'. I hope it didn't imply anything else. Now Seroquel when I was on it, I couldn't miss a dose because if I did, I'd know that same night by not being able to sleep. What works for me for sleep and its a good one is, 4 melatonin and 1 diphenhydramine sleep aid. I had my best consecutive restful nights sleep until last night, I drank just a large coffee in the morning and it altered my sleeping pattern. But anyway, I agree some meds you don't notice hardly anything if just one dose is missed but like you say, if its several then that may be something to be concerned about.

#7 Revan

Revan

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

If I miss a dose of risperdal I feel a bit edgy the next day. However, after resuming it I feel normal within a few hours. I can take double the amount the next day if I miss a day but I try not to do this too often. It's best too keep the dose fairly constant for me. Sometimes spacing out my APs twice or three times daily is necessary. With risperdal I take a lower dose in the morning and a higher dose at night because it makes me sleepy and apathetic if I take too much during the daytime.

#8 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3261 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

With the Seroquel - that impacts sleep because it can be a sedative. So, yes, missing a single night will hinder your ability to sleep.

That's different from the half-life time period (where afterwards you will experience withdrawal symptoms) - as well as the anti-psychotic properties that may take longer to wear off because it takes longer to produce the effect.

Half-life is very med specific and cannot really be generalized.

Mostly, my opinion would be that unless the half-life is rather short, missing one dose would not affect the ability for it to keep away psychosis so long as you take the next dose.

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia, Panic Disorder, GAD, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (MDD with BP traits w/o hypo or mania)
Rx : Emsam 12mg/24hr, Strattera 80mg, Lyrica 150mg, Armour Thyroid 120mg (2 gr), Zofran prn, Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn, D3 4,000IU
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq, Requip

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#9 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

I generally can go three days (which I only do if im actively vomiting for that long) without feeling any effects from not taking my meds. If I happen to forget a dose, I do not take it in the morning, but just wait and take my next regularly scheduled dose.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#10 hallowedink

hallowedink

Reality is cheap; as soon as you stop believing in it, it goes away.

• Pip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

I've gone a maximum of two days without taking a med (e.g. when I don't get refills in time), but each time it was only one single med at a time. Once I forgot to take a dose of Seroquel in the evening, so I took it the next morning. I can't actually remember anything about that day, except that I felt awful - groggy, completely out of it... I haven't forgotten to take a dose since then.

My Brain Salad: BPD, MDD, Insomnia, Anorexia Nervosa, "very likely" C-PTSD, Migraines
What they give me for it: Seroquel 300mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Lofepramine 140mg, Pizotifen 3mg, Naproxen PRN, Zopiclone PRN, Valium PRN`

Have also dealt with: Panic Disorder (now in remission), Self-harm (stopped ~4 months, but still relapsing occasionally)

#11 g8orgirl

g8orgirl

• Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

If I miss a dose of Seroquel I notice it for sure because I cannot sleep without it. With the Risperdal if I go more than about 3 days, I notice my psychotic symptoms coming back. I've always been affected by meds very quickly. Whenever I've switched to a new antipsychotic, I usually notice a significant reduction in my symptoms within a few days as opposed to the several weeks that it's supposed to take.
Schizoaffective - depressive type
Meds: Abilify 5 mgs, Effexor 75 mgs, Trazodone 100 mgs

#12 Titania

Titania

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 5260 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

The point is that it is very individal how people will experience the effects of a medication, so it's impossible to tell from a straw poll how long it's safe to leave it until retaking your dose. I know this is just a hypothetical discussion on peoples experiences, but it's worth pointing out.

“I am naïve and I have fucked up but I tell you something else. I believe in change. I don't mind getting my hands dirty because my hands are dirty already. I don't mind giving my life to this because I'm only alive because of the compassion and love of others.” Russell Brand.

"She said to go ahead and feel the feelings. I did. They felt like shit." Anne Lammot.

"you are not too old/and it is not too late/to dive into your increasing depths/where life calmly gives out/it's own secret" Rilke

"You," he said, "are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world, and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain." Emilie Autumn - The Asylum For WayWard Victorian Girls.

#13 LexFlex

LexFlex

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

Yes, very individual because we don't all take the same AP's. And no two bodies are the same. I just wondered how people felt in general if they miss a dose, then the next day go back to their same regimen. I wondered if there was any noticeable fluctuation that a person could feel in their bodies due to just one missed dose.

#14 ghostrx

ghostrx

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Used to feel a bit 'strange' (was only on it for a few months) but now I can go two days without it and feel fine, although I can't sleep when I'm off it (either ran out or can't get down to fill it on the day).
Rx: 300mg Ranitidine (2x150mg), 45mg Mirtazapine, 25mg Valdoxan, 50mg Seroquel (2x25mg), 150mg Seroquel XL, 7.5mg > 15mg Zopiclone
Past Rx: Prozac, Citalopram, Paroxetine, Sertraline, Effexor, Cymbalta, Ambien, Temazepam, Valium, Omeprazole

#15 konings

konings

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

It affects me pretty badly. When I dont take seroquel in time the positive symptoms start to return fast. When I didnt take risperidone my senses sharpened and i became very irritable. All this within 3-4 hours after not having taken meds.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.