How to get Adderall to wear off more quickly

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 chipmunk

chipmunk

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

I take 15 to 60 mg Adderall per day, depending on what the day's activities entail. My problem is that if I take 45 mg or more, I am up until all hours of the night. I used to take 60 mgs every day and get to sleep just fine but I also had sleep apnea at the time so I think I could have fallen asleep on just about any dose.

I heard that Citalopram can make the Adderall last longer, so I often forego that on days when I know I'll be taking a higher dose, but it still lasts longer than I want.

Am I just missing/low on an enzyme? Are there other things that can interfere with Adderall metabolism?
DX with depression, ADHD, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

#2 Eden

Eden

• Pip
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

If you are not taking the IR version I would recommend trying it, it lasts about 4.5 hours for me.

New Dx: Psychosis NOS, MDD + Aspergers and ADHD Inattentive type w/ social anxiety.
Also: Celiac disease and chronic 'flavor of the week' insomnia.

-Scratch that, uncle Sam gave me a clean bill of health cuz I talk gud n stuff.

"Mankind are a herd of knaves and fools.
It is necessary to join the crowd, or get out of their way,
in order not to be trampled to death by them" William Hazlitt.

One does not simply walk into dictionary.

#3 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12788 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

Try taking the same dose every day at the same time. If you just take a small dose most days and then take a large one a few days, any side effects are going to be worse on the days you take more. If you take the same dose constantly, you'll develop a bit of a tolerance to the side effects.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#4 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

I would only suggest trying to take it as early in the morning as possible. Like set an alarm, take the adderall, and go back to bed for a bit. That way, you ensure you are having enough time for the med to wear off.

Eden's idea of trying IR instead of XR is a good idea as well, to give you better control over the dosing schedule.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#5 Mirazh

Mirazh

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons - and make SUPER LEMONS.

• Inmate
  • 2258 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

Damn, you guys took all my suggestions already! LOL.

So yeah, if you have a fair supply of pills left, try the waking up early, and same amount every day suggestions... if that doesn't work, ask about IR. :3

Also: you could, in theory, set something up with pdoc so that you take a regular smaller amount of the XR, and then have some IR on hand for supplementation if you need it. I had this for a little while until we put me on XR morning & afternoon.

Important Info: Neighbourhood punkicorn and emogoff; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ne / nem / nir / nemself

tumblr_inline_n7dsmwRe2n1rghkw5.png

#6 chipmunk

chipmunk

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

I take both XR and IR, mostly IR these days since I've been sleeping later with the kids this summer.

It sounds like maybe the issue is that it takes my body xx hours to clear xx mgs so the only way to get it to clear faster is to start earlier?

The problem is that I work in the afternoons/evenings a lot, and taking a dose first thing in the morning just wastes it since I don't start working until noon or one. But then if I take 45 or 60 mgs at that point, I'm screwed if I want to get to bed before 2 a.m. Gah.

Anything besides citalopram interfere with metabolism so I know to avoid it? I vaguely remember something about calcium but I can't remember if it helps or hurts...

#7 Mirazh

Mirazh

• Inmate
  • 2258 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:25 AM

Um, I think it's only while it's in your stomach at the same time, but citric acid can take away a lot of the med's effects. Which is a shame because I love lemonade. :P Well I still drink it but now am more careful! Beware, many drinks like sports drinks or crystal light or others have a high citric acid content.

Metabolisms are so interesting! I wish I had a better idea for you. I don't notice much of a change at all in the length of time a dose lasts even as I increase the amount of the dose. But spacing it out? Yeah.

Important Info: Neighbourhood punkicorn and emogoff; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

#8 chipmunk

chipmunk

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Citric acid? Ugh, I have been taking Adderall in the morning with a glass of OJ and a Vitamin C tablet. No joke. Interestingly, today for the first time in a long time I took my morning meds with water instead of OJ and I feel like the Adderall is wearing off quite quickly - I have taken 45 mgs today (last 15 mg at 2:30) and I'm feeling like going to sleep now at 8:00.

From what I just read on google, it should have the opposite effect, unless the citric acid doesn't break the adderall down, it just delays the absorption, so that it's absorbed later and therefore lasts longer. ???

Edited to add:

Found this

Amphetamines enter the stomach and will get ionized (Charged with protons by the acidic environment or high pH) An ionized amphetamine is not well absorbed (Less lipid soluble) and therefore barely any of the drug will get absorb in the stomach (I realize I mention absorption in the stomach, I really meant intestine, sorry) When the "charged" drug reaches the intestines though, where the pH is higher (less acidic) the amphetamine gets deionized (uncharged) and is more absorbable by the Intestine lumen.

It would be logical then to think acidic food in combination with Adderall will tend to delay absorption by affecting deionization but this will not prevent the drug from eventually reaching his maximum potency.

and

Taking Urinary Acidifying (Cranberry Juice for example) agents Increases excretion of adderall, Urinary alkaline agent's Decrease excretion of adderall.

Stomach Acidifying Agents (ex. citric acid) Reduce Absorption of Adderall, Stomach Alkaline agents (Sodium Bicarbonate or Baking Soda, most antacids) Increase Adderall absorption.

Eating Fatty foods will delay Adderall Absorption and Prolong the eventual peak plasma concentration (when the medication reaches max bloodstream levels) of Adderall XR by an extra 2.5 hours.

on http://www.addforums...ead.php?t=55800.

So that completely makes sense now - I often have a donut for breakfast with some OJ, and from what I can tell, that is the worst thing I could eat with my Adderall dose since the OJ and the fat in the donut both delay the absorption of the drug. That makes more sense now that I would be jittery at lunch time - the first dose would just be kicking in and then I would add another in the mix. I thought it was just because my blood sugar was getting low or something.

Crap, now I have to figure out how to take my meds in the morning and what to eat for breakfast now that calcium, fat and citric acid's off the menu....

Edited by chipmunk, 15 August 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#9 chipmunk

chipmunk

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

One more post.

Apparently Concerta is unaffected by food but Adderall's absorption will be delayed when you take it with food, up to 55%. However, most of the drug ends up getting absorbed in the end, meaning if you want it to last longer, take it with food (like I've been doing). I'm not sure how what I eat during the day affects the Adderall XR, though.

And a little more info about how food affects absorption:

• Absorption
    • GI Alkalizers (Potentiate Absorption)
      • Sodium Bicarbonate/Tums, etc
    • GI Acidifiers (Inhibit Absorption)
      • Foods and drinks that are acidic in nature
    • High-fat meal (Inhibits release of XR)
  • Excretion
    • Urinary Alkalizers (Slow Excretion)

• Bananas, Chocolate, Figs, Mineral Water, Orange juice, Potatoes, Spinach, Watermelon

• Many antibiotics
      • Mineral Supplements
      • Acetazolamide, some Thiazides
    • Urinary Acidifiers (Accelerate Excretion)
      • Yogurt, Buttermilk, Sour Cream, Organ Meats, Eggs, Most Fermented Foods, Aged Cheeses, Cranberry Juice
      • Probiotics
      • Ammonium Chloride, Sodium Acid Phosphate, etc
  • Interactions
    • Most OTC decongestants (Pseudoephedrine HCl, Phenylephrine, etc)
    • Supplements containing Quercetin
    • Other drug interactions
Some foods, like Lemons, Apples, and Oranges are acidic to your GI tract, but actually alkalize your urine. So, the effect they have on your meds really depends on when you consume them in relation to your dosages.

from http://www.addforums...ead.php?t=86943
edited to correct some rogue formatting

Edited by chipmunk, 15 August 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#10 midnightman

midnightman

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

Take it earlier or cut down on the dose if it's XR. If you want more flexibility, I'd ask your pdoc to switch you to IR exclusively instead of an XR / IR combo so you can control the dose & timing of effects more personally.

#11 chipmunk

chipmunk

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

I have been having luck with taking it right when I get up, then showering and getting ready, then eating and taking my vitamins and other meds.

I still notice differences from day to day, so it's not perfect, but taking the Adderall alone definitely improves things.

#12 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 17907 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

Um, I think it's only while it's in your stomach at the same time, but citric acid can take away a lot of the med's effects. Which is a shame because I love lemonade. :P Well I still drink it but now am more careful! Beware, many drinks like sports drinks or crystal light or others have a high citric acid content.

Thanks for posting this ... I had no idea citrus foods affected the med's affects (I'm on provigil, not adderall, but am thinking it might be with most stimulants?)

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin SR, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#13 chipmunk

chipmunk

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

Melissa, no, this does not apply to all stimulants - for example, Concerta/Ritalin seems to be unaffected by food. I'm not sure about Provigil.

#14 Mirazh

Mirazh

• Inmate
  • 2258 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Well, my experience is that concerta and ritalin were both effected by citrus, yes. It was also apparent back when I was abusing stimulants years ago, which is where I first learned about it. Remember, this isn't food in general, this is *specifically* citric acid.

#15 Mirazh

Mirazh

• Inmate
  • 2258 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

Alright, so I can find things about other stimulants and citrus, acidic things in general really, but my methylphenidate info appears to be anecdotal/personal experience. I don't think my experience on the IR was psychosomatic - I had forgotten about this possibility, and when I first started taking it I was downing it with Gatorade. I clear the stuff out of my system fast enough as it is, but that was rather *ridiculous.* However, it is what it is - technically anecdotal.

#16 melissaw72

melissaw72

• Pip
  • 17907 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

Melissa, no, this does not apply to all stimulants - for example, Concerta/Ritalin seems to be unaffected by food. I'm not sure about Provigil.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin SR, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

#17 chipmunk

chipmunk

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

Alright, so I can find things about other stimulants and citrus, acidic things in general really, but my methylphenidate info appears to be anecdotal/personal experience. I don't think my experience on the IR was psychosomatic - I had forgotten about this possibility, and when I first started taking it I was downing it with Gatorade. I clear the stuff out of my system fast enough as it is, but that was rather *ridiculous.* However, it is what it is - technically anecdotal.

What are the other stimulants you have found that interact with citrus (out of curiosity)?

And even though your response to Concerta may not be typical, it's good to put it out there in case anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

#18 melissaw72

melissaw72

• Pip
  • 17907 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

I looked up Provigil and acidic foods, and there was no interactions between the 2.

#19 Mirazh

Mirazh

• Inmate
  • 2258 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

Chipmunk - I have found mention of stims in the amphetemine class being effected by citrus, rendered less effective, etc. I don't have the link on hand but there's a pinned thread on CrazyMeds' stimulants forum about it. I have issues when I try to dig up articles on my own. Anecdotal experience and stories from others says that speed, MDMA, MDA, MDE, etc. could also be effected this way. For some, anyway. I have not, to the best of my knowledge, encountered this effect with caffeine, though it may be rather difficult for me to tell since a large amount of my former caffeine consumption was in in the form of soda pop and energy drinks.

#20 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

I tried not having Diet Coke until at least 10 AM, water only. I drink a lot of Diet Coke, it would be the major offender in terms of drinks that were acidic. It did not make a difference. I have not seen the numbers as to how significant the loss is if you drink something that is acidic, is it a big deal or not. The one that is a big deal is the pH of urine. I forget the way it swings, basic or acidic, but it causes you to excrete amphetamine quicker. Poison control books mention it as a treatment for amphetamine overdose.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.