Photo

Does anyone not feel like crap when the sun goes down?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ManWitPlan

ManWitPlan

• Pip
  • 392 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

I don't want to have to keep taking benzos as soon as the sun goes down but I just feel like complete crap every day during the evening time. The funny part it almost feels shocking that it happens because I feel amazing during the morning hours. I'm on invega which is suppose to keep a steady dose all throughout the day so I don't know if more medication would do the trick or even be worth trying.

I do get more tired as the day goes on but who doesn't. The only difference is I feel like complete crap during the night hours. I'm not sure if this is just psychological or biological but can anyone relate to this? Is this something I have to just put up with? The change happens so quickly that by the time it happens I don't know what hit me.

This has been going on since being "becoming" bipolar 7 years ago. It is sort of a lonely miserable feeling.

#2 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8858 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

I almost want to say it sounds like sundowning syndrome, but I am pretty sure you do not have age onset dementia. Has the evening always been a difficult time for you, or is this something new?

Mornings for me consistently suck, even when I am not having migraines. I wake up achey and sick to my stomach, and have some non-migraine level head pain, even on days I will otherwise be headache free. I have always assumed that was my unfortunate personal circadian rhythm, which granted is out of whack from being bipolar.

My dad says that MI people do tend to have good times and bad times of day, and that it varies from person to person as to what time of day it is, but it is generally consistent for that person. I get better in the evenings.

Edited by crtclms, 15 August 2012 - 10:39 PM.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#3 koali777

koali777

• Pip
  • 1061 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

I so understand...I feel awesome every morning, even if I'm not perfect. Once it starts to be dusky, I get paranoid, or apathetic, or depressed, or bored and hopeless. I read about a syndrome that is similar but it had been a part of dementia or something (don't quote me on this, I have no link to post). You may be tired, or just not like the dark even if it's subconscious. I feel the same way on super dark and cloudy days so for me I think it has to do with the sun.

Haha...PS...I didn't read the other reply but maybe I was onto something because they talked about the sundowner's syndrome first ;) I'm very sorry that you have to suffer though.

#4 Closure

Closure

• Pip
  • 490 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

That sounds somewhat like the ultradian cycling I used to get, in that you have a period in which you feel really good and another period in which you feel really bad each day (and not just variation in severity of symptoms over the course of the day). There would be one part of the day where I would be hypomanic, with usually a slow onset, and another part of the day where I would be crushingly depressed, with usually a rapid onset. During one period I tended to get my hypomania during the day and early evening, and then would crash hard a bit later on in the evening; during another period I tended to crash into being very depressed late at night, and would remain that way through the morning, gradually lifting in mood until I became hypomanic in the early evening.

Current Dx: either SZA bipolar-type or Bipolar I, OCD
Past Dx: Bipolar II
Rx: 1200 mg lithium carbonate, 800 mg carbamazepine, 15 mg mirtazapine, 5 mg risperidone

#5 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 19588 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

I'm the complete opposite, I love my nights. When the sun goes down my stress goes down.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#6 Odetta

Odetta

• Pip
  • 591 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

I used to get anxious at night. Then I switched to taking my lamictal at night with the geodon and trazadone, and the anxiety has went away. It didn't even move to another part of the day. Maybe it's just coincidence, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.
Odetta

Dx: BPII, usually mixed and/or rapid cycling
Current Rx: 200 mgs Lamotrigine, 100 mgs Trazadone, 40 mgs Geodon
Previous Rx: Prozac, Celexa, Welbutrin, a boatload of whole food supplements

#7 ManWitPlan

ManWitPlan

• Pip
  • 392 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

I almost want to say it sounds like sundowning syndrome, but I am pretty sure you do not have age onset dementia. Has the evening always been a difficult time for you, or is this something new?

Mornings for me consistently suck, even when I am not having migraines. I wake up achey and sick to my stomach, and have some non-migraine level head pain, even on days I will otherwise be headache free. I have always assumed that was my unfortunate personal circadian rhythm, which granted is out of whack from being bipolar.

My dad says that MI people do tend to have good times and bad times of day, and that it varies from person to person as to what time of day it is, but it is generally consistent for that person. I get better in the evenings.

Well if we are talking about if this has happened my whole life then no. During my childhood/before i got diagnosed. I use to love staying up late. I would stay up late play video games till the next school morning. Then once the bipolar onset came I began to hate the night time. And its been like this ever since.

#8 CarpeDiemBananaBreath

CarpeDiemBananaBreath

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Interesting to know that I am not the only one that goes thru this. I am not consistent though. There are some evenings when I am ok as well so I don't think that follows the circadian rhythm theory. Well just wanted to say you aren't alone, sounds like something possibly consistent with bipolar. Would be a good idea to put a poll in the depression group as well as the anxiety if you are up to it. :)

#9 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

I start to get feelings of restlessness, agitation, and anxiety at night, starting around 7 pm. I basically have to force myself to stay up until its time to go to bed - which lately, has been around 9 pm.

I never used to be like this. I used to be a night owl. But I think it's just a symptom of my mood episode right now.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#10 San

San

Lawful Evil

• Inmate
  • 3876 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:14 AM

I prefer night, or early morning, as well.
Horrible sun!

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, ADHD - Inattentive

Rx: Risperdal Consta (37.5mg injection, 2 weeks) Clonazepam (1.5mg) Dexedrine (20mg) Artane (PRN)

Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / Antipsychotic Comparison Tool

#11 Sweets

Sweets

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

deleted

Edited by Sweets, 28 November 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#12 YetAgain

YetAgain

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

I can relate. With me, it's totally psychological. I love mornings. The earlier, the better. Morning means the start of a fresh, new day. Full of promise. Evening means the day is pretty much over, and whatever I did, or didn't, do is over and done with.
I literally take everything literally. Please be patient if I don't understand.

#13 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8858 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Interesting that so many of you do better in the morning, I would have thought it would be distributed more evenly. Maybe I am talking about a different phenomena, I'll have to ask my dad.

Some of the old school anti-depressants have a side effect of early rising, but I don't think it is enjoyable from what I have heard.

ManwitPlan, if you feel it is a big change in your behavior or daily routine, it is worth asking your pdoc what could have caused it. I would be prepared for him to have no answer (just in case), but I would still ask.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#14 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 19588 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

I can relate. With me, it's totally psychological. I love mornings. The earlier, the better. Morning means the start of a fresh, new day. Full of promise. Evening means the day is pretty much over, and whatever I did, or didn't, do is over and done with.

For me, it seems like my day is just beginning as the day gets later and later. I hate getting through the day (daytime). Especially the mornings. I HATE after like 6 or 7 AM. I like between 1-2 PM because good TV is on, but other than that I try to sleep early evening so I can be up at night.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#15 humanoid

humanoid

serial killer heart under sweet girl veneer

• Pip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

It goes either way for me with nighttime (could be really down or really up) but mornings are never that great for me and I'm generally not awake for most of the day. I just prefer to be most awake when it's dark out. It's pretty weird, though...I never know if I'm going to feel terribly depressed and start sobbing or really hyper and ridiculous (everything is so funny when it's 4 in the morning!)

My schedule is terrible and I wish I had a more normal routine, but this is the way it's been for a while. Blah.

* * * * i've always taken up too much space

dxBP I (rapid cycling) w/ psychosis, Borderline Personality Disorder,
Social Anxiety Disorder, Trichotillomania, Bulimia (non-purging type)

rx: currently unmedicated (occasional PRN 1mg klonopin)
***being referred for ECT tx***

(see profile for more details)

#16 koa

koa

Live every week like it's shark week.

• Inmate
  • 1707 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

I definitely get depressed and anxious almost always in the evenings. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I'm not as busy, but I can also get especially anxious after the time when it gets too late to call someone without feeling like you'll wake them up... It makes me feel trapped. I think the darkness can make me feel lonely. I can fight off depression and anxiety for most of the day but by night time my thoughts have caught up with me.

Also, sometimes I have this feeling of almost being afraid of the dark, or like the darkness/shadows are an ominous force... I'm not sure if that is a side effect of risperdal or if that is part of being sza.
Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder, Depressive Type (or possibly depression with psychotic features)
RX:, Latuda 40mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg,
Previous RX: Zyprexa, Abilify, Prozac, Ativan, Risperdal

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." -- Henry David Thoreau

#17 Likeabowlof0ranges

Likeabowlof0ranges

• Pip
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

I have that sometimes. I haven't figured out what it is or how to stop it. I really like the middle of the day like 12, that is the best time for me. I also like early mornings if I'm not depressed. I do badly with the cold when I'm depressed ha. But night times have always sucked for me, my mum said I used to get anxious for as long as she can remember as soon as it is dark out. I think my thing is more an anxiety issue. So many bad things can happen at night and you won't know about it until tomorrow morning.
Bipolar Disorder I, generalised anxiety disorder, social anxiety, somewhere on the aspergers/autism spectrum, non - verbal learning disorder, EDNOS
Current Meds: Seroquel 650 mg, Lamicital 350mg, Ativan 3mg, Abilify 10mg, Temazepam 30mg, Klonopin PRN <p>Previous Meds: Lithium, Zoloft, Lexapro, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Pristiq

#18 VioletB

VioletB

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

Far and away, the worst time of day for me is from 3-5 or 4-6 PM. It´s probably the time of day when I most notice that I haven´t gotten done as much as I´d hoped, which makes me miserable. On the meds I don´t notice that much anymore, but it's the time of day when I'm likely to nap out of depression rather than being tired. It's been this way for years.

I´m sorry you struggle so much with nighttime!
Diagnosis: (May 1, 2012) Cyclothymia (basically depression and some hypomania, probably for at least 30 years)
Meds: Wellbutrin 150, Lamictal 25-50-100, scaled back to 75 due to migraines/auras

#19 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4269 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

I wander through my mornings. Everyone at work knows that if you want an answer from me, wait until after lunch. I hate mornings. Always have. One time I had a job where we had to keep track of how many forms we did during the day. My count right before lunch was always very much lower than everyone else. Then, after lunch, I'd pass everyone and usually end up having more than everyone else. This really showed me that I'm not a morning person.

I'm not real crazy about evenings either. Actually, I don't really wake up until around 8pm. Between 6pm and 8pm, I can barely keep my eyes open. But come 9pm, I'm ready to go. I usually end up staying up until about 2am. I try to go to bed earlier but I can't seem to do it. I'm wide awake.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#20 Kodos

Kodos

Knowledge is power.

• Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

Diurnal mood variation:
http://neuroskeptic....e-to-laugh.html
http://www.beyondblu...link_id=89.1196

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.