• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 koa

koa

Live every week like it's shark week.

• Inmate
  • 1756 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

This is kind of out there, but recently I found this study which suggests that, when used in combination with an antipsychotic, ancient Chinese medicine can possibly aid in treating schizophrenic patients.

http://bjp.rcpsych.o.../190/5/379.full

Edited by koakua, 20 August 2012 - 09:38 AM.

Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder, Depressive Type (or possibly depression with psychotic features)
RX:, Latuda 40mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg,
Previous RX: Zyprexa, Abilify, Prozac, Ativan, Risperdal

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." -- Henry David Thoreau

#2 aregon

aregon

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

Well then, let's go to China to be treated, maybe we'd be better. I'd do it, seriously.

#3 Jen78

Jen78

• Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Well then, let's go to China to be treated, maybe we'd be better. I'd do it, seriously.

I just wanna go to china lol
Dx: Schizoaffective Bipolar type, PTSD

Fanapt 6mg 2x daily
Topamax 200mg 2x daily
Valium 10mg 3x daily
Hydroxyzine 50mg 3x daily
Prozac 20mg 1x daily
welbutrin xl 150mg 1x daily

#4 aregon

aregon

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

I'm saying that because Asians are very spiritual, not that technical as our docs. I guess they try to heal the soul rather than brain.

#5 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13115 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

When used in combination with an antipsychotic, peanut butter can possibly help in treating schizophrenic patients. No matter how you look at it, it's the AP doing the heavy lifting.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#6 koa

koa

• Inmate
  • 1756 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

Not suggesting most of the work isn't the antipsychotic, or that anyone go off of their antipsychotic in favor of herbal alternatives. I'm sure that's why there wasn't a group in the study "Chinese Medicine alone." Because it would be irresponsible to abandon proven antipsychotics for untested Chinese herbal medicine, especially with a disease as severe as schizophrenia.

I was looking up herbs that might help with psychosis and found this. I posted it because I was surprised by the results. I'm not saying I put a lot of stock into Chinese herbal medicine. But if peanut butter seems to help you, I think you should eat peanut butter.
Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder, Depressive Type (or possibly depression with psychotic features)

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." -- Henry David Thoreau

#7 Guest_newbie_*

Guest_newbie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

Koakua well said. Alternative adjunctive therapies are worth exploring. Out of a curious mind I now want to discover if there is less incidence of mental health issues in the Chinese who use these herbal medicines as compared to groups or cultures who do not. Interesting and thankyou for posting.

#8 hammock

hammock

inky

• Pip
  • 417 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:03 AM

" 13 million Chinese people with schizophrenia "
even if it's a placebo effect for some symptoms, because of cultural expectations, any little bit of extra help on top of the APs is always nice

"Herbal medicine alone v. chlorpromazine
Only one study (Zhang et al, 1987) gave the treatment group herbal medicines without the addition of an antipsychotic. Over a 20-day period, global state outcome `not improved/worse' significantly favoured the control group receiving chlorpromazine (n=90; RR=1.88, 95% CI 1.2 to 2.9, NNH=4, 95% CI 2 to 14). No participant left the study early."

oh and looks like they did have some people without an AP, but the chinese medicine alone did not help them. only the combination of the two, was better than either by itself.

Edited by hammock, 21 September 2012 - 03:04 AM.

I have either psychotic depression or schizoaffective disorder.
I take prozac 40mg, Wellbutrin, and seroquel 400mg a day; and ambien or temazepam at night.
I'm an artist for a living. you can visit ***my art blog*** that's how I pay the rent.

#9 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:21 AM

I wouldn't put too much stock into any official numbers about how many people in China have <x> mental illness. Mental illness is something that's still heavily stigmatised, so if anything, I would say any official numbers are underreporting the number of actual affected people.

As for the study quoted in the OP - it's promising but I think more research is definitely required. It seemed the study was limited by numbers and time period.

#10 Catnapper

Catnapper

Living in the South under Baptist Sharia law.

• Pip
  • 1744 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

Although I use Chinese herbs for colds and flu, and have had great success with acupuncture for hormonal trouble, and at the risk of sounding completely xenophobic, I don't really trust any medical studies coming out of China. I read the article and can't say for sure that the studies were done there (the link is to a meta-analysis), but they were all done in hospital settings. Since it's doubtful that a western hospital is going to let a doctor study Chinese medicine, I assume the hospitals were in China.

I don't trust medical studies from China not because of the Chinese people, but because of the authoritarian Chinese government. It's apparent that China plays with data to make it show what they want it to show, and also threatens and jails people who do nothing else but disagree with the party line. I am unable to believe that subjects in a Chinese medical study weren't coerced to respond as expected, especially if those studies were done in a hospital setting.

[edited for typos]

Edited by Catnapper, 21 September 2012 - 03:36 PM.

New Improved Diagnosis: Probably BP II (instead of MDD recurrent), or as the pdoc said, "There's clearly some sort of cycle going on." The more I think about it, the more I think he's right. I've started a mood stabilizer and feel better, so I have my fingers crossed I'll stay far away from the abyss.

RX: Generic versions of Lamictal 200 mg, Wellbutrin SR 300 mg, Ambien 10 mg, Gabapentin 900 mg (for hot flashes), lots of vitamins and fish oil tablets.
RX Graveyard: Prozac, Topomax, Zoloft, Vivactil, Adderall, Provigil
DX: Previously DXed with Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Without Psychotic Symptoms; still enjoying Dysthymia and Binge Eating Disorder

"All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental." Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

#11 koa

koa

• Inmate
  • 1756 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

Interesting point catnapper. I don't trust the regulation in China, either. I almost never buy food products from China for that reason.

#12 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

Phlegm-Fire syndrome sounds like a pretty cool dx!!

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#13 Catnapper

Catnapper

Living in the South under Baptist Sharia law.

• Pip
  • 1744 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Yes, the translations are interesting. My acupuncturist told me something like I had a hot and dry liver.... But he fixed what was wrong, so all's well that ends well.
New Improved Diagnosis: Probably BP II (instead of MDD recurrent), or as the pdoc said, "There's clearly some sort of cycle going on." The more I think about it, the more I think he's right. I've started a mood stabilizer and feel better, so I have my fingers crossed I'll stay far away from the abyss.

RX: Generic versions of Lamictal 200 mg, Wellbutrin SR 300 mg, Ambien 10 mg, Gabapentin 900 mg (for hot flashes), lots of vitamins and fish oil tablets.
RX Graveyard: Prozac, Topomax, Zoloft, Vivactil, Adderall, Provigil
DX: Previously DXed with Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Without Psychotic Symptoms; still enjoying Dysthymia and Binge Eating Disorder

"All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental." Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.