Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Free Online Courses from Top Universities (no kidding!)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 CrankyMe

CrankyMe

Salty

• Pip
  • 987 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

Nope, I have no vested interest in this site, other than I find it fascinating and am pretty much sharing it everywhere I can.

https://www.coursera.org/

They offer free online courses on a huge variety of topics - economics, biology, geo-sciences, etc, etc, etc. Most of them also use free online textbooks or no textbooks at all, just provided class notes. So it really is free-free.

You will not get college credit for these courses, although some offer certificates proving you took the course.

Participating universities include Duke, Princeton, U of Michigan, and many other well known colleges and universities.

Some courses are more advanced than others and require background education on subject matter, but there are a LOT that are entry level learning.

My only problem so far is picking something. So many sound interesting to me - Sustainability, Human Physiology, Science of Social Networking, and so on. Several courses are starting in September so now is a good time to sign up!

Hope it helps someone!

Don't you do that sometimes? Play turtle turtle? With your T-shirt?" - Guinea Pig

#2 Unstrung Harp

Unstrung Harp

• Pip
  • 1560 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for posting. There's some interesting classes in there.

DX: Atypical major depression, GAD, panic, social anxiety, migraines
RX: Brintellix (15 mg); buspirone (45mg); adderall xr (20mg); clonazepam (.5 mg PRN); alprazolam (.5 mg PRN)

#3 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Creating and embracing drama since 2004.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4377 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

Harvard and MIT [I thihnk it's mit] are now starting an actual certificate program that you can participate in for free online. If you go to their sites you can find the info.

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

Midway

#4 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Love that site.
Diagnoses: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type ("Significant, Severe, Chronic, and Clear Cut"), Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia (in remission; dx in early teen years), OCD (dx in early teen years)

Current Meds: 600mg Seroquel, 30mg Abilify, 100mg Trazodone, 200mg Lamictal, 300mg Effexor XR, 3mg Klonopin.

Some days are better than others, but I do what I can.

How I'm doing now: I am down and am suicidal. I want to stay in bed forever. I never want to leave the apartment. The voices have been really bothering me. They also put thoughts in my head that aren't mine. They do this to torture me constantly. It is never silent.

#5 shameshame

shameshame

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Thank you for the link! I like the idea of real courses with no pressure since you don't get a credit.
I used to use the openware courses from MIT to help supplement my understanding of certain subjects (in school or just for my own personal knowledge.)

It's http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm but you probably have already found the site before!

#6 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9142 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

MIT has great humanities departments, much to people's surprise. And one of the best business schools in the country (Sloane).

http://www.extension...ning-initiative

The heroic myth course by Prof. Nagy is awesome, and not that hard. We called it "Heroes for Zeroes," the entire football team took it. But it is a GREAT course.

Prof. Garber is a really renowned Shakespeare expert, and I really loved her course, but I wouldn't watch every lecture again. "Measure for Measure" I've bookmarked, because it is my favorite.

http://www.opencultu...eeonlinecourses

I'm not that familiar with this site, but there are free Hitchcock movies!

http://www.youtube.com/stanford

There are lectures on neuroscience. David Sapolsky, whose lecture is pinned to Depression, has a course online here.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#7 CrankyMe

CrankyMe

Salty

• Pip
  • 987 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

Thank you so much for sharing additional resources. The internet is truly amazing.

Don't you do that sometimes? Play turtle turtle? With your T-shirt?" - Guinea Pig

#8 apetasticaL

apetasticaL

scatterbrained scribbler

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

thanks, you guys, for posting these resources. my boyfriend was telling me about colleges offering free online courses a couple of weeks ago. i was interested but did not do any follow-up research on my own. so again, thank you for posting!
smiling despair. no solution, but constantly exercising an authority over myself that i know is useless. the essential thing is not to lose oneself, and not to lose that part of oneself that lies sleeping in the world. -albert camus

dx: bipolar disorder NOS, borderline personality disorder, substance abuse
rx: lamotrigine 25 [titrating back to 200], aripiprazole 10, topiramate 50

past rx: lithium carbonate, divalproex sodium, levetiracetam, gabapentin, fluoxetine, paroxetine, doxepin, trazodone, quetiapine, paliperidone, olanzapine, ziprasidone, risperidone, trifluoperazine, methylphenidate, phenobarbital, chlordiazepoxide, diazepam, clonazepam, lorazepam, temazepam, buspirone, hydroxyzine, zolpidem, ramelteon

#9 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for the additional links! I am trying one to test the waters so to speak!:) wish me luck!
Diagnoses: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type ("Significant, Severe, Chronic, and Clear Cut"), Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia (in remission; dx in early teen years), OCD (dx in early teen years)

Current Meds: 600mg Seroquel, 30mg Abilify, 100mg Trazodone, 200mg Lamictal, 300mg Effexor XR, 3mg Klonopin.

Some days are better than others, but I do what I can.

How I'm doing now: I am down and am suicidal. I want to stay in bed forever. I never want to leave the apartment. The voices have been really bothering me. They also put thoughts in my head that aren't mine. They do this to torture me constantly. It is never silent.

#10 Antecedent

Antecedent

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/

loads of things on iTunes under the heading "itunesU" almost all of it is free.
An antecedent is a word, phrase, or clause referred to endophorically by another expression which precedes or follows it.

As far as I know that means "An antecedent is a bit of a sentence."

The picture in my avatar is from a wonderful artist who can be found here: http://www.joannaall.../paintings.html

#11 LouiseBom

LouiseBom

Queen of Ambivalence

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

There's also this website - Academic Earth, where Harvard, Yale, Berkeley and others post lectures from select courses.
Dx - Borderline Personality Disorder, Depression, Anxiety

On - Sertraline, Xanax, Seroquel

#12 kittyloaf

kittyloaf

• Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

If you have an Apple device there is a free app called ITunes U that has free courses from many disciplines.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder-bipolar type, PTSD, social anxiety disorder, ADHD inattentive, trichotillomania, physical stuff
Meds: Seroquel IR (300 mg), Topamax (200 mg), Cymbalta (90 mg), Vitamin D (50,000 IU), Effexor XR (300 mg), Ativan (1 mg prn), levothyroxine (0.100 mg), copper IUD

#13 vondick

vondick

• Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

So cool! I just signed up for 2 courses to take :D

Really quite very sure I'm on the spectrum. Awaiting report back from assessment.
Recently quit Wellbutrin XL 150, taking Dexedrine spansules when I can afford it.
A little slow with social interaction- if I offend you do not hesitate to let me know, chances are I really didn't mean it.

#14 Twigged

Twigged

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

Wow. Thanks for posting.

#15 radicalfeminist

radicalfeminist

sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning & you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way

• Pip
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

If you have an Apple device there is a free app called ITunes U that has free courses from many disciplines.

I've "taken" two Yale courses through iTunes U and the problem with it (or maybe just the ones I chose, I dunno) is that they don't choose free textbooks, articles, journal volumes. They do link to places where you can purchase them, but it kind of, I don't know, is really limiting since people are doing this for personal knowledge/pleasure or to supplement their other courses and I already have a hard enough time paying for the classes I take for academic credits, so. Again, maybe it was just the two I looked into, or maybe just the courses Yale offers through iTunes U. It's cool nonetheless. I used to listen to the lectures while commuting to decompress and relax before my "real" classes.

Psych DX: MDD, dysthymia, OCD, GAD, SA, panic disorder, EDNOS.

Meds: Wellbutrin 450 mg, Zoloft 200mg, Quetiapine XR 150mg.

#16 TOT

TOT

• Pip
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Edited by TOT, 19 March 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#17 isthisit?

isthisit?

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

I signed up for some at the University of Austin Texas for September but im not sure if I will actually take them as I may be moving home.

Please excuse my spelling i have a learning disorder.

#18 avidwriter

avidwriter

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:42 AM

another option is check your local public library- mine has a bunch of DVDs that are basically college profs teaching an entire course, made for home learners.  No textbooks required.  I watched a really great series on astronomy by one of the best astronomy profs out there, it was awesome.  They're Great Courses series, made by http://www.thegreatcourses.com/ really expensive to buy but check if your library has them they're really good

OS X user.  Currently running a Hackintosh with i3 2120, XFX 7850 2GB and OS X 10.8.4.  Last read: Stephen Hawking The Grand Design

Schizoaffective bipolar - Invega Sustenna + zoloft + vitamin D + fish oil + multi vitamin

#19 inthepines

inthepines

• Pip
  • 477 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

I recently finished KNOW THYSELF which was a philosophy course. The lecturer was awesome and the material thought provoking...
https://www.coursera...rse/knowthyself

It's not currently on but you can add it to your WATCHLIST which hopefully means they should tell you when the next one is on(?).

#20 Forbidden91

Forbidden91

Credo ut intelligam (I believe so that I may understand)

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:52 AM

Seems really cool, but as radicalfeminist pointed out do you have to purchase textbooks for the courses provided or are they free...I will definitely pass this on.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
—Aristotle

"You may call it nonsense, but I've heard nonsense compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"

— Red Queen, "Alice in Wonderland

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.