• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon

• Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:29 PM

Hello all,
Right, I'm in a bit of a state- I was referred to my mental health crisis team nearly 2 weeks ago as I was depressed as hell. I was taken off prozac, which i'd been on for 6 weeks and started on mirtazapine last tuesday. After about 3 days at 15mg, the fun started- the suicidal depression went and was replaced by this incredible high- I was very talkative, kept laughing, concentration span even worse than before, not sleeping etc etc. After a couple of high days, I spent a couple of days in a mixed depressed/high state, and for the last couple of days I've been *really* high (well, high for me- i'm sure it's possible to go even higher, but, well, meh). I have a psychiatric nurse visiting me every day and am seeing my psychiatrist again soon (my dose was supposed to go up to 30mg but am still on 15 as everyone thats seen me has agreed im far too high).
Anyway, the point of posting was to ask- anyone have any idea whats going on? As far as I'm aware, I was just depressed (depressed as hell, mind- but thats what I thought was wrong). Anyone have any experiences to share? Am hoping my psych will shed some light soon, as much as im having fun im kinda aware that i need to come down (college work aint getting done).
Thanks for any help!!
dx: bipolar disorder I, rapid cycling with psychotic features
rx: Depakote 1500mg, Lithium 1200mg, Risperdal up to 6mg, Nitrazepam 5mg prn, Chloral Hydrate 2 tablets as needed, Ativan 1mg prn

#2 flutterfly

flutterfly

• Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:52 PM

hey sweets...i donno what your flavor of M.I. is but i'm on a pretty high dose of remeron so i've done some research on it...sooo that being said i found out it can make bi-polar people manic at high doses (45 mg) or more but you may just be having a different chemical reaction to it...but i'm not a doc and dunno if you're B.P. or not...so definatlely talk to your p-doc!!!

good luck with this issue n your studies!!! ;)

also good thoughts goin out ta ya

flutterfly xo
OHHH WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN N IS GONNA BE!!!!

when u guys figure out how to get the world to come to me let me know!!!!

I'M IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD....BUT AT LEAST THEY KNOW ME THERE!!!!

IF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED I'M ADDICTED TA !!!!† so if i'm NOT mad at ya DON'T take it personal...if i am...then FUCK-YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T MAKE ME V-8CHA!!!

#3 delicate

delicate

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:14 PM

hey-

I can definitely say that my first week or so on remeron (15 mg) was awesome. I would just sleep and eat all day, and when I was awake I felt high, just like I was floating on a cloud. I just felt very lightheaded and free- it was kinda cool.. but then of course- it went away. Not sure if this is the same thing, or what is up with your symptom.. but I just thought I'd share.

I'm also thinking about increasing the remeron since its the only drug that has done something so far.
love is like a barren place and reaching out for human faith is like a journey i just don't have a map for

#4 whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon

• Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:27 PM

Righty, well i've seen my psych- basically what i'm experiencing is apparently mania so for now i'm on seroquel (anti psychotic) instead to try and bring me the hell down- i stopped taking the mirtazapine a few days ago and am still as high as a kite!
Seriously wondering if i'm bipolar- my psych briefly mentioned it but didn't say whether i actually was or not. Apparently they're going to fiddle around until they've stabilised my mood, and once i've been ok for a few months they'll reduce me down, take me off the drugs and see what happens. suppose it's a wait and see thing.
Anyway, cheers for the replies- just hope the mania goes soon as it's taken on a horrid aggressive, irritable edge- not fun! and hope i get to the bottom of this thing- just thought i had really nasty depression until this manic episode happened.
dx: bipolar disorder I, rapid cycling with psychotic features
rx: Depakote 1500mg, Lithium 1200mg, Risperdal up to 6mg, Nitrazepam 5mg prn, Chloral Hydrate 2 tablets as needed, Ativan 1mg prn

#5 faith

faith

Can you see this, too?

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 922 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:37 PM

Hey, Remeron did the same thing to me! And I also got put on Seroquel after that. I wonder if that's The Standard Procedure ... hmmmmm.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
~Faith~
Dx: bipolar 1, panic disorder w/agoraphobia, migraines .
Rx: 200 mg Lamictal, 900 mg lithium, 50 mg Seroquel, 12.5 mg Ambien CR

#6 Guest_Guest_Mike_*_*

Guest_Guest_Mike_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:43 AM

Sounds like maybe you're having a hyperserotonin reaction? I started on a very low dose of Elavil a few years ago and was high for a month. High is hardly the word for it, I was ecstatic, everything was a joy, and I felt mentally sharp as a tack, too. I had to watch it if something annoyed me, because even getting annoyed felt so good, I'd get too into it. I kinda wish it would still happen, it was wonderful. ;)

#7 Guest_freak_*

Guest_freak_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

Im on 90 mg remeron and 30 mg valergan mixed 3 times a day this is for depression and having trouble sleeping... after saving my remeron doses for two days having 360 mg of that shit i popped it all in less than 5 min sat there waiting for it to kick in.. never happend that shit doesnt give me anything even in huge doses so i popped my valergan and got to sleep ;)

#8 mudpuppy

mudpuppy

Gone.

• Pip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:46 PM

That's probably because remeron is more sedating a LOWER doses.  Anything over 30mgs typically isn't sedating at ALL.

15mg or less is the recommended amount for sedation.

Lucas Silveira > Lady Gaga

Dx: Combat PTSD, Gender Identity Disorder, Traumatic Brain Injury, ADHD [Inattentive Type]

Rx: Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Buspar 10mg, Adderall 10mg [dose finding trial],
Testosterone Cypionate 50mg Q 10 Days IM, Testosterone Cream 4ml 1% PLO Gel PRN
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Gender Therapy, Integrative Psychotherapy

#9 Persephone

Persephone

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

Remeron made me bat-shit crazy. I was prescribed "California Rocket Fuel" - Effexor/Remeron. Effexor by itself doesn't cause any problems for me, but within a few weeks of adding Remeron, I started getting really agitated. By the time I realized what was going on, I had a severe case of akathisia - I spent 19 hours pacing because I literally could not sit down. My mood flipped between this horrible anxiety/depressed state and what I now realize was mania. I was euphoric, had pressured speech, and could not stop giggling at my own jokes - but somehow was strangely irritated at everybody for moving so slowly. Because of the akathisia, thankfully I couldn't do anything all that stupid except make a few off-color remarks. I've never done drugs, but I don't see how they could be any better.

By the time I got a hold of my pdoc, he slapped me on some Abilify and told me to take sleep meds for a few days. The best part was on the way back down from the mania, I hit normal for about half a day before I went back to my normal depressed.as.fuck state.
Dx: MDD, history of anorexia and bulimia
Rx: Effexor 300mg, Trazodone 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.5 mg prn
Past Rx:
SSRIs: Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro
SNRIs: Effexor, Cymbalta
other ADs: Serzone, Wellbutrin, Remeron
MAOIs: Parnate, Nardil
Mood Stabilizers: Abilify, Lithium, Lamictal
Other: Cytomel, several sleep meds

#10 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:41 AM

California Rocket Fuel. Heh. I haven't seen that phrase in about five years. I was wondering what happened to the usage a month ago. I guess it was a prescribing fad that has come and gone. Probably for good reason.

a.m.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#11 Persephone

Persephone

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:48 AM

Yeah AM - it is some seriously hard-core stuff that needs to be prescribed with extreme caution. It's still around - it was the final stage in the Star*D study. I wonder how many people went nuts on it.
Dx: MDD, history of anorexia and bulimia
Rx: Effexor 300mg, Trazodone 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.5 mg prn
Past Rx:
SSRIs: Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro
SNRIs: Effexor, Cymbalta
other ADs: Serzone, Wellbutrin, Remeron
MAOIs: Parnate, Nardil
Mood Stabilizers: Abilify, Lithium, Lamictal
Other: Cytomel, several sleep meds

#12 Beetzart

Beetzart

• Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:29 PM

Yeah AM - it is some seriously hard-core stuff that needs to be prescribed with extreme caution. It's still around - it was the final stage in the Star*D study. I wonder how many people went nuts on it.

When I was first prescribed Mirtazapine (15mg) is completely knocked me out. At 45mg I just wanted to eat all the time. I told the pdoc this and he changed me to citalopram 10mg to start with, then my mood just shot up. After a day of taking it I remember pacing up and down and laughing at silly things all the time. Trouble is it soon wore off!

Dx: Bipolar and Aspergers

Meds: Lithium Carbonate 800 mg, Sertraline 200 mg, Pregabalin 300 mg x 2, Mirtazapine 30 mg, Aripiprazole 15 mg, Agomelatine 25 mg, Diazepam 4 mg, Co-codamol 30/500 mg PRN. 

Previous meds: Lofepramine, Seroxat, Diazepam, Fluoxetine, Largactil, Imipramine, Venlafaxine, Propanolol, Tamazepam, Xanax, Zopiclone, Zolpidem, Citalopram, Buspar, Venlafaxine, Olanzapine.

http://www.youtube.c...7?feature=guide

#13 Guest_Jessica jacquline_*

Guest_Jessica jacquline_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

Hi this is jessica im a m to f female but was born inter-sexed but have a family that doesn't understand the whole gender spectrum thing going on with me.I have had severe depression and maybe i still have it but who knows but i know for sure i have severe anxiety and sleeping issues and have had the bi-polar diagnosis put down on paper to me but my current doctor doesn't really treat that part.I have been off meds for a while but on hormones which can effect your emotions/thoughts/and so on.Yesterday i was put on Mirtazapine to be taken every night i go to sleep as to help me sleep and since its used for other things like depression and bi polar and im guessing anxiety also she issued me this as a all in one treatment.

Take one by mouth at bedtime is my dosage right now and its 15mg. Lets see what happens as i hope i don't go into a episode as when they where testing me out on meds in the past omg i had alot of reactions to lets just say.Been in and out of the hospital.Different ones of course but 5 times so far.

Don't even go to group or anything anymore but was when waiting to get assigned a doctor but now no because i have a doctor.going to ask about group.

#14 Guest_lexy_*

Guest_lexy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:42 AM

I was on 300mg serequel but I didn't find did anything for me. My psych has lowered dose to 50mg and put me on 30mg mirtazapine which I started last night, she is half+half between wheth I have bipolar or borderline personality disorder, - I've stopped the quetiapine as what's point if aint doin anyfin? + feel as high as a kite! Its great!! Am I manic or what?

#15 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

You could be. I have found people that say "I am as high as a kite" to usually be feeling a bit TOO good.

Time to call doc, I would think. If you're not manic, your doc is the best person to assess that. If you are, your doc is the best person to treat that. YOu may be able to keep the med with the judicious addition of something ELSE if it's really working for the depression, or you may need a total switch.

I tend to try and think of euthymia as a non-burning kind of happiness. I am content. I can get stuff done. I have energy, but am not on a tear to do anything specific. Colors are not too bright, food doesn't taste too good, I can sleep, mostly (I don't count my current sleep issues because I AM coming off seroquel and otherwise feel fine) and I don't feel.... odd.

The best I can describe it is that it is similar to when I was about 12 and had interests, responsibilities, friends, social activities, and enjoyment in life, but wasn't wildly over the top full of energy, just normally perky and whatnot.

When I am euthymic I can sing around the house and clean it up, but i don't HAVE to. I can also sit still and veg if I need to. I can take breaks, and I can plan clearly.

This, to me, is the best description of euthymia I can come up with. I have had to really define it for myself over the years and come to accept it as the most desirable state. To me, it truly is, because it is SUSTAINABLE. I'd rather be super functional all the time, happy mostly (sometimes situational things bring me down, which is normal) and managing my life in a responsible way.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#16 Guest_lexy_*

Guest_lexy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for your reply anna.
Well since posting, I had stopped my quiteiaping having been at 300mg per day, but my doc wanted me to take just 50mg plus the 30mg mirtazapine, so I thought I'd just stop the quetiapine if they were gonna stop t anywau, but all sat+sun I was wired, I felt hyper, excited, on one. I rang my cpn and she told me to go bk on 50mg quetiapine, whichj I did but found no better, then on the tues I was no longer wired, just feeling as high as a kite, - I feel like I have so much positive energy, I want to do things, I keep having urges to spend + do crazy things like speeding around in mt car + going out in next to nothing, even though its cold I don't really feel it. I feel great. Did speak to my doc at clinic on tues+told her (by the way she hates me-they all do), and she upped my quetiapine to 150mg per day, but went to docs yest, my own doc, as up at the clinic they were indecisive wheth I had borderline or bipolar but are going along with me being borderline, - I don't feel I am as I can't control my moods, when I'm upo I'm uo+high like I am now, and then when I'm down I'm down, but I have no fear of being alone, I like to be by myself, so surely I camt be borderline? I don't feel that I am.
Since the quetiapine was lowered or ot there I feel I've beem manic. I've had a high sex drive, totally overactive+ive set £yself up 2 sex dates for this week. My own doc has put me back up to 300mg quetiapine per day, staying on the mirtazapine 30mg amd aso on a sleeping tab, - I've had more sleep but my head is still feeling out of it like I'm buzzing, but I'm hoping they work cos today is first day back at the 300mg dose. I don't like my doc at the cliinic or my cpn, they both hate me, so my doc is getting another cpn and doc uop there to see me. Does it sound like I've been manic??? I still feel tingly all over, like I'm untouchable+everthing is beautiful, I've been flat out either shopping or decorating,or cleaning, just totally hyper+flat out, I stil feel good, its a lush feeling+i don't want that feeling to end. I'm a 26yr female + honestly have never touched any drugs in my life, but my head is wanting to try ecstacy + coke, amd my body wamts to party. What's wromg with me wanting to taake drugs???

#17 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

Yes this sounds very manic to me. I would try to get a new doc and a new medication plan ASAP.

If you start acting on dangerous behaviors it is totally ok to go to the ER and explain what is goign on and that you cannot control these urges and you are a danger to yourself and others.

That is grounds for a hospitalization (voluntary) and they will most likely do it if you print out the post(s) above and explain that you are REALLY manic. Mania is dangerous you could catch aids, you could have a lot of things happen.

Please be careful. I have been almost hit by cars when manic (thought I had superpowers and could stop traffic) acting out sexually, all kinds of craziness, etc.. I am very lucky to be alive today and do feel I have a guardian angel over my shoulder.

Anna

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#18 Guest_lexy_*

Guest_lexy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

Thanks again Anna.
I'm afraid I can't go the ER as its just me+my 3 kids, and I wouldn't want to be separated from them.
Today was my first day back on the 300mg quetiapine + already I am feeling the effect. My head is still busy, like its overactive+wanting to do so much, but my body +my eyes are so tired. I still feel really high, + untouchable, but I don't feel really excited anymore. I want to make as much money as I can + spend it, that's what I want to do. Am thinking of setting up my own naughty modelling agency, speciallizing in gothic modelling too, and also going back to my mobile beauty, doing makeup+eyelash parties. - I have so much I want to do, am feeling so positive+feeling out of it. Is this how I'm meant to feel? Do I sound like I'm borderline or bipolar? I don't think I'm borderline, they can't take my quetiapine away, -ive already tried that +i went on over drive. Am seriously thinking about street drugs, just want to block everything out+see if I can rise further on this high.

#19 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

Deinitely biplar, dont start any of those projects, don't take street drugs, don't die, you'll be separated from your kids then for reals. NO BIG DECISIONS.

Can anyone watch them for you if you went in for a day or two? Seriously, no family around? I'm worried about you.

Anna

#20 Guest_lexy_*

Guest_lexy_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:14 AM

Hi anna. No, I have no family around really who would be able to have the kids, my parents aren't in best of health, its just me and them. My eyes are really tired+my body is feeling the effects, its exhausted, but my head is still going over+over. I overslept this morn and then after the late school run I found myself over tescos spending like 90pnd. I didn't even know if my card would go through cos I'm already overdrawn, but it did. I then went down my parents for lunch. I had to go out and do something. I feel exhausted. Is this normal for bipolar? My head is still fast on these things, do I keep going with the tabs I'm on now or do I phone my doc or what? Will they be able to slow my head down? ,x

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.