Photo
- - - - -

How long did it take for your Risperdal to start working?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Revan

Revan

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

About three days ago I was placed on 1mg of Risperdal for severe racing thoughts and mild paranoia and anxiety. So far after 2 nights of taking it I don't feel much better except it kind of acts like a good sleeping pill.

The pdoc mentioned that 3mg is what the average dose his patients take. He said I might have to go a little bit higher on the risperdal if 1mg doesn't relieve it well enough.

When did your risperdal start to calm you down...and at what dosage did it take to do this? any kind of anecdotal input would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 cfranco92

cfranco92

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

When I took risperdal, 1mg was my final dosage. It worked very well for my aggression and I snapped less at people. I also heard less voices, but they werent totally gone. I still had visual hallucinations and paranoia. I quit the med because it killed my libido, and my pdoc didn't see any use in increasing it because it would worsen the sexual side effect, Im 20 so it is a pretty big deal to me,

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder (bipolar type), PTSD, anxiety, hemiplegic migraines, asthma, hypothyroidism, tardive dyskinesia
Rx: Ativan 2mg PRN, Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Albuterol Inhalor
Past Rxs: Abilify, Saphris, Risperdal, Geodon, Lamictal, Prozac, Nortriptyline, Paxil, Pamelor, Celexa, Klonopin, Hydroxyzine, Propranolol, Bromocriptine, Zyprexa, Haldol, Invega, Clozaril, Lunesta, Ambien, Navane, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Seroquel, Cogentin, Verapamil, Trazadone, Latuda, Topamax, Synthyroid, Depakote, Zofran

I have been psych med free since 8/17/2013 as directed by my pdoc. 

A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. - John Steinbeck.

#3 g8orgirl

g8orgirl

• Pip
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:02 AM

I'm on 6mg of Risperdal, for me it took several weeks before I was able to notice any effect. Most anti-psychotics do take several weeks to start working so if you've only been on it a few days you might want to give it some more time.
Schizoaffective - depressive type
Meds: Abilify 5 mgs, Effexor 75 mgs, Trazodone 100 mgs

#4 Revan

Revan

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:14 AM

Thanks ppl.

I am 30 so sexual side effects are still a major concern to me too :) . I currently am experiencing no side effects of any kind. It's a seemingly benign med to me. g8orgirl...It really took you weeks to feel the full effect of risperdal? Personally with my past experiences with zyprexa and seroquel, both of those meds pretty much kicked in fully within 5 days, perhaps even less with the zyprexa.

Anyways...I took it again tonight and it did it's thing but the sleeping effect seems to have worn off, or else I would not be typing this.(Is it me or is it actually starting to give me energy?).Every other AP I have tried has knocked me out to the point of it being impossible to stay awake I am starting to feel more relaxed though. It seems as if I have been getting more done in the past couple days.

I was going to take some trazodone tonight to help sleep, but honestly I would like to feel what this med is doing to me all by itself. ...A night of sleep lost is worth some dead air space in my head :)

Edited by Revan, 29 September 2012 - 01:21 AM.

#5 konings

konings

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

I dont know why it isnt working for you, maybe you should compare the dosage equivalence to your past meds. Risperidone should start working at day 1 to a small extent, but for me a significant effect was had by 3.5 weeks.

#6 Revan

Revan

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:31 AM

I dont know why it isnt working for you, maybe you should compare the dosage equivalence to your past meds. Risperidone should start working at day 1 to a small extent, but for me a significant effect was had by 3.5 weeks.

It did work the first night. It made me tired and fall asleep but that's about it.(gave me some cool dreams BTW) I worked, as in... it did SOMETHING. However it working for what I need to still needs some work (racing thoughts).

#7 Revan

Revan

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:37 AM

PS. Zyprexa worked very well at 10mg and seroquel XR 200mg was the dose that worked.
Now that you mention it perhaps somebody could chime in on the dosage equivalents of 1mg risperdal to 200mg Seroquel and 10mg zyprexa.

#8 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9371 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

Everyone is different. You don't know that it *isn't* working for him. Not everyone responds to risperidone exactly the way you do. Three days, and you are ready to say it isn't working?

And by the way, folks: Libido is important even when you aren't under 40. It is probably unintentional, but it kind of sounds like you are saying libido and sexual relations are most important for younger people, and that if one is older, who cares if a med kills libido?

Newsflash: People of all ages enjoy sex.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Fish Oil; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate the boards for Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Neuropathic and Chronic Pain, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, Relationships, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#9 Revan

Revan

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

And by the way, folks: Libido is important even when you aren't under 40. It is probably unintentional, but it kind of sounds like you are saying libido and sexual relations are most important for younger people, and that if one is older, who cares if a med kills libido?

IK,you don't stop caring about sex as you get older... sorry for being a fuddy duddy about that. I just really dislike that SE.

#10 ArtlessAesthetic

ArtlessAesthetic

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

I was prescribed it while I was IP, to augment trazodone, and I felt calmer and less agitated and slept better within a few days. Took a few weeks for it to have any effect on my mood, but from I'm read it's fairly common for psych meds to affect things like appetite, sleep and movement issues before they head for your actual MI. So I wouldn't be too discouraged about not noticing much of a difference - you likely just haven't been on it long enough. Give it time.

Diagnosis: MDD w/ dysthymia and psychosis, GAD, OCD, Panic Attacks, Bulimia, Self Injury

Current Meds: Mirtazipine 45mg, Propranolol 60mg, Seroquel XL 200mg, Omega 3 capsules

Past Meds: Prozac, Sertraline, Citalopram, Venlafaxine, Trazodone, Temazepam, Buspirone, Risperidone, Zoplicone, Diazepam, Chlordiazepoxide

#11 cfranco92

cfranco92

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

Everyone is different. You don't know that it *isn't* working for him. Not everyone responds to risperidone exactly the way you do. Three days, and you are ready to say it isn't working?

Haha crtclms I am not an ageist, I know a lot of older couples who get it on when the lights come off. ;)

Sorry if I made you feel like a sexless hag. :(

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder (bipolar type), PTSD, anxiety, hemiplegic migraines, asthma, hypothyroidism, tardive dyskinesia
Rx: Ativan 2mg PRN, Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Albuterol Inhalor
Past Rxs: Abilify, Saphris, Risperdal, Geodon, Lamictal, Prozac, Nortriptyline, Paxil, Pamelor, Celexa, Klonopin, Hydroxyzine, Propranolol, Bromocriptine, Zyprexa, Haldol, Invega, Clozaril, Lunesta, Ambien, Navane, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Seroquel, Cogentin, Verapamil, Trazadone, Latuda, Topamax, Synthyroid, Depakote, Zofran

I have been psych med free since 8/17/2013 as directed by my pdoc. 

A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. - John Steinbeck.

#12 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

It took me a couple of weeks to feel full mood stabilizing effects of it, but when I jumped from 3 mg to 6 mg when I started having visual hallucinations (anyone want to hear my story about a life-sized cartoon character running across my back yard?) it stopped the hallucinations in a few days.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.