• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Somebody

Somebody

A loose cannon cop that doesn't play by the rules

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

I was in bed this morning and I was wondering to myself what some of the worst or strangest side effects people on this site have experienced. It can be any type of side effect from any type of drug, I'm just interested in seeing what's happened to some people. You don't have to say what drug you were taking or go into detail, but you can if you want.

The first antidepressant I was put on was Seratraline, and I was fine for the first day. The second day however, I couldn't sleep, I vomited over 40 times, blacked out twice, went blind, my heart beat like I just ran a mile and it beat so hard that you could see the vein in my neck pulsating. I really thought I was going to die, but I didn't go to the emergency room or anything (I really should have, looking back on that).

As for strange side effects... I can't really think of any at the moment, maybe I'll remember something later.
Dx: Major Depressive Disorder

I also get to deal with cluster headaches and self-injury.

#2 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2147 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

The worst side effect came from the medication Abilify. It caused trouble swallowing, so I couldn't eat full meals and I lost over 30 pounds on it. (I went from 150lbs to 120lbs). I had to ultimately stop it and go inpatient because stopping it caused me to become suicidal.

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Propranolol 10mg BID + Centrum + Fish Oil

#3 melissaw72

melissaw72

Pretending I'm a pleasant person all day is exhausting.

• Pip
  • 14853 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

I was taking reglan for something and I produced lots of breast milk all of a sudden (I was not pregnant) because of it. Because it raised the prolactin levels, so much that my neuro at the time thought I might have a tumor on/in my in brain called a prolactinoma. Had an MRI with dye and everything so she could see every part of my brain.

ETA: grammar mistakes

Edited by melissaw72, 13 October 2012 - 09:36 PM.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin SR, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#4 DennInDetroit

DennInDetroit

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

Well, I am such a newbie to this I don't have enough experience. But the hospital pdoc gave me a very low dose of seroquel, 25 mgs, to help me sleep. Well, I must be very sensitive, 25 mgs knocked me out like a dart gun on a charging rhino. My dog had to go out in the middle of the night the first night, and I could not see straight, everything was foggy and spinning, and I had to hold onto things to walk/stagger. It was very unpleasant.

#5 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

Invega gave me Parkinsonian symptoms. My body went rigid, I had a mask-like expression on my face and I couldn't handwrite properly.

Invega was also the equivalent of a chemical lobotomy because I couldn't converse with people. It would take me a while to word find. It felt really weird to not have words.

#6 TOT

TOT

• Pip
  • 612 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Edited by TOT, 19 March 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#7 in_media_res

in_media_res

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

Worst is tinnitus, from 3 years on wellbutrin and lexapro. Those meds didn't do anything much for mood, but have left me with a permanent ringing sound in each ear. A recent attempt at lamotrigine seems to have made it worse -- it's subjective, so hard to tell. But it does a lot for my mood -- none of it good.

The weight gain I've managed to mostly eliminate. Have another 20-30 pounds to go, having lost 90.

dx: Atypical depression with some features of borderline personality; Obsessive-compulsive disorders
rx: Ziprasidone 60 mg, Zolpidem ER 12.5 mg, Lorazepam .5 mg. Synthroid 112 mcg

hx: Stuff that didn't work: Lamotrigine, Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Straterra (for attention), 5-HTP, supplements. Some sort of a TCA early on -- don't remember which one.

May you be held in compassion.
May you be free from pain and sorrow.

May you find rest in a peaceful heart.

#8 Mirazh

Mirazh

Magically Fabulous

• Inmate
  • 2033 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

DennInDetroit, it's my understanding that such a reaction to low-dose Seroquel is actually really common.

I was prescribed a similar dose for a week, to help me sleep, the emergency psych said. Well it didn't touch my sleep, and my sister informed me that my irritability increased noticibly after I started it. So.

Lamictal gave me a rash, literally all over my body. But no itchiness or anything. The docs said to stop it, rash went away right quick.

Lots of stress + abusive "friend" + Lexapro resulted in a pretty bad rage episode.

I think only my Lamictal rash qualifies as an SE.

Important Info: Neighbourhood unicorn; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ze / zan / zir

"I refuse to let past bruises cover the light, it ain't all good but it's good enough, so I know I'm alright.  Agony is truth it's our connection to the living, I accept it as perfection and keep on existing in the now.  I can only build if I tear the walls down, even if it breaks me it will never make me frown, I'm falling but no matter how hard I hit the ground, I'll still smile."

rgww.gif

Why Slytherin?

#9 malachite

malachite

• Pip
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

Topamax gave me Acute Closed Angle Glaucoma; I could have gone blind had I not gone to the ER when I did. That was the worst effect I've had. The strangest one was on Wellbutrin. I hallucinated an embroidered Minnie Mouse pillow in great detail. I had never seen anything like it before, and that I hallucinated something so mundane was, I am sure, a good thing. What's interesting is I can still see with my mind's eye that exact pillow.

Edited by malachite, 13 October 2012 - 10:46 PM.

Type of Crazy: MDD and GAD
Former meds: Geodon, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Xanax, Klonipin, Zoloft, Paxil, Lamictal, Temazapam, Risperdal, Serzone, Trazodone, Lexapro, Xanax XR, Buspar, Effexor, Desipramine, and about seven more I can't remember.
Current psych meds: Clomipramine (50mg.) Klonopin (1 mg. 3 x a day)

Other Meds: Crestor, Metformin,Omeprazole, Ranitidine,Propanalol
Physical woes: Migraine, PCOS, CFS, Diabetes, High cholesterol
ECT (Fall 2010), (Fall 2012)

#10 mambo_kT

mambo_kT

Mambo

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

When I was taking 25-50mg of seroquel at night I also had a rather unpleasant experience. One night I took it then made the mistake of waiting a bit before my last smoke of the night. I almost blacked out outside and barely made it into my apartment. I slept on the floor with my front door open all night. ...But that was when I was drinking, so the beer was probably a contributing factor.

Also, Abilify makes me a little off balance. I've gotten kind of used to bumping into walls, especially when I turn corners haha

Edited by mambo_kT, 13 October 2012 - 10:54 PM.

Current Labels: Bipolar Disorder, ADHD inattentive type
Current Meds: Depakote 750mg, Latuda 40mg, Adderall 0-40mg
Current Mood: Better
Past Meds: Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Seroquel, Trazodone, Lamictal, Welbutrin, Effexor XR, Abilify

#11 Cade

Cade

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

Weirdest - Gaining a lot of weight on Wellbutrin. It also raised my anxiety levels with no symptom relief, but the weight gain is apparently far more unusual, especially over 25% of starting weight.
Worst - The nausea on Strattera. It was like having a bad case of stomach flu. The only things that would stay down were lukewarm Gatorade and water, and those only if I was lying down and not moving much.

Dx: GAD, Bipolar I with rapid cycling, inattentive-type ADD, ED-NOS
Daily Rx: Abilify 10mg, Adderall XR 20mg

There is no great genius without a touch of madness.

#12 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 7847 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

The worse side effect was that Zonegran gave me renal tubular acidosis (kidney disease). 8 years later, my kidneys have almost returned to normal, just in time to try lithium.

Clonezapam made me have rages two hours after I took it. So that was annoying, because I was already mixed as hell.

Atenolol gave me bruxism, which is an "unusual" side effect.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; CoQ10; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Green Coffee Bean Extract; Lamotrigine; Lithium; Magnesium Chloride; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. PM me if you have any questions

#13 cfranco92

cfranco92

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

Invenga caused me to have severe psychosis and cyclical vomiting even though I was prescribed it for psychosis.

Zyprexa increased my prolactin, causing me to stop my period for 16 months and to lactate. When I changed to navane it made it worse. Once I got on seroquel, my prolactin level returned to level and I had my menstruation again and no lactation.

When I was diagnosed for just bipolar 1 and I was taking no medication, my pdoc tried lamictal on me and I had a seizure.

Anti-depressants make me manic.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder (bipolar type), PTSD, anxiety, hemiplegic migraines, asthma, hypothyroidism, tardive dyskinesia
Rx: Ativan 2mg PRN, Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Albuterol Inhalor
Past Rxs: Abilify, Saphris, Risperdal, Geodon, Lamictal, Prozac, Nortriptyline, Paxil, Pamelor, Celexa, Klonopin, Hydroxyzine, Propranolol, Bromocriptine, Zyprexa, Haldol, Invega, Clozaril, Lunesta, Ambien, Navane, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Seroquel, Cogentin, Verapamil, Trazadone, Latuda, Topamax, Synthyroid, Depakote, Zofran

I have been psych med free since 8/17/2013 as directed by my pdoc. 

A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. - John Steinbeck.

#14 rowan77

rowan77

• Pip
  • 1939 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:31 AM

Drugs which caused my worst side effects were:
  • Zyprexa caused me to go from thin to obese in 4 months.I even ate in my sleep, which was weird! That was 10 years ago and I'm still trying to lose the weight
  • Risperdal caused me to lactate +++ which was extremely distressing and embarassing
  • Abilify caused extreme agitation and awful akathisia which drove me even more crazy

DX: Bipolar Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder

Current RX: Lithium Carbonate 800mg, Seroquel XR 800mg, Lamictal 100mg x2 daily, Procyclidine 5mg, prozac 40mg 

Also Yasmin 0.3/3mg for PCOS and Losec 20mg for Hiatus Hernia

Previous RX:
Anti-depressants: dothiepin, clomipramine, paroxetine, mirtazepine, lofepramine, venlafaxine, escitalopram, agomelatine
Anti-psychotics: thoridazine, risperidone, olanzapine, haloperidol, aripiprazole, chlorpromazine
Mood Stabilisers: carbamazepine, sodium valproate,
Anxiolytics: alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam
Hypnotics: lormetazepam, temazepam, zopiclone, zolpidem, flurazepam

ECT: 6 Treatments in 2003; 11 Treatments in 2005

"Be yourself - everybody else is taken." Oscar Wilde

#15 San

San

Chaotic Good

• Inmate
  • 2993 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

I was literally tripping balls in a bad way on tegretol.
Thorazine.. I don't remember anything from the time I was on it, that was 4 months of my life gone.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type

Rx: Piportol Depot (50mg injection, every 2 weeks) Topamax (200mg) Clonazepam (1.5mg) Lexapro (40mg) Ritalin (40mg) Artane (5mg) Melatonin (5mg PRN) Zyban 300mg

Websites:  Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / WobblyPsyche Mood Tracker

#16 Jen78

Jen78

• Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

My worst was the full body lamictal rash. I had it from head to toe. Got it cleared up then got the rash off of depikote :/
Dx: Schizoaffective Bipolar type, PTSD

Fanapt 6mg 2x daily
Topamax 200mg 2x daily
Valium 10mg 3x daily
Hydroxyzine 50mg 3x daily
Prozac 20mg 1x daily
welbutrin xl 150mg 1x daily

#17 CrankyMe

CrankyMe

Salty

• Pip
  • 974 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

Cymbalta gave me oily, orange diarrhea within 30 minutes of eating any meal. I stayed on it for 2 months, hoping the side effect would go away because it actually helped with my depression. I lost 40 lbs and was malnourished (although still overweight).

Clonazepam gave me hiccups, randomly, at any time, even in sleep. I actually found it funny. The episodes never lasted very long ,else I may not have found it so amusing. I still take it, but the hiccuping has subsided.

Effexor made me suicidal. This was in its early days, when it was still new.

Edited to add non-psyche med: Benadryl makes me hyper and unable to sleep.

Edited by CrankyMe, 14 October 2012 - 09:41 AM.

Don't you do that sometimes? Play turtle turtle? With your T-shirt?" - Guinea Pig

#18 Jen78

Jen78

• Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

I forgot about cymbalta. It made me not able to pee. Seriously I would go maybe twice a day. Pdoc took me off of it after two weeks
Dx: Schizoaffective Bipolar type, PTSD

Fanapt 6mg 2x daily
Topamax 200mg 2x daily
Valium 10mg 3x daily
Hydroxyzine 50mg 3x daily
Prozac 20mg 1x daily
welbutrin xl 150mg 1x daily

#19 vandeeje

vandeeje

Jen

• Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Thorazine made me blackout and gave me night terrors.

Depakote made my ankles swell up to the size of grapefruits and made my pupils dilate WAY bad. My neurologist asked me if I had been to the eye doctor earlier.

Zyprexa gave my dystonia in my legs, which I guess doesn't happen much with Zyprexa. It was literally half an hour after I took it I could barely walk.

Lamictal and Cymbalta gave me edema in my legs and made me feel like I was going to fall over when I was sitting.

And worst of all, Latuda gave me neuropathy in my arms, legs, and lower back. Saw several doctors about the pain, had a ton of tests, nothing helped. Then I stopped the Latuda and three weeks later, BAM, all better.

ETA: I forgot about Fanapt. I was peeing every half hour and still retaining water. I had my legs up constantly because they would swell for no reason.

Edited by vandeeje, 14 October 2012 - 03:31 PM.

Jen

Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar type, Occipital Neuralgia (also with undiagnosed dermatillamania - mostly my face and fingers)
Psych Rx:  Lithium 900mg, Effexor 75mg, Haloperidol 30mg

Other Rx: Zomig 5mg PRN, Claritan 10mg, Nasonex, Minocycline 100mg BID, Omeprazole 20mg, Mirena IUD
Vitamins: Multivitamin
Allergies: Lamictal, Ambien, Cymbalta, Depakote, Saphris, Latuda, Zyprexa, Fanapt

http://memoirsofasch...c.blogspot.com/
550893_419689864746596_1163945994_n.jpg

#20 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

I got horrible akathesia on abilify - I literally could not sit down without the aid of 2 mg of Xanax. I fell asleep while cooking at my stove when I took geodon. Zyprexa almost tripled my triglycerides and now I have to take meds for it. One of the most disturbing side effects for me was that I would pee while asleep in bed while on cogentin. We're not talking like once a month - it happened four times in a single week! I got off it pretty fast.

Edited by gizmo, 14 October 2012 - 02:29 PM.

Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.