77 replies to this topic

#61 eternalsun

eternalsun

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

clozaril made me pee the bed

klonopin makes me hiccup constantly for hours

topomax gave me alice in wonderland syndrome (distorting the sizes of objects in visual field... very strange and disorienting)

the tricyclic i'm on now is giving me intensely vivid dreams every night, often spiritual... that i don't mind so much, it's actually quite nice as i hardly remembered dreams before

Edited by eternalsun, 20 March 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#62 CathyJoy

CathyJoy

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

Well, this isn't really weird, but for the brief time that I was on Abilify years ago, it made me gain weight -- a lot. I've never been able to lose it since, either...

Okay, this one is more weird: whenever I take Xanax, my legs start aching... Just my legs, and it happens around forty five minutes after I took the pill. Please note that I am not actually prescribed on Xanax, but my mom gives it to me sometimes whenever I have an episode. I should probably stop taking it.

I have

Bipolar : ADHD : Social phobia

I'm on

Concerta 54mg : Celexa 20mg : Geodon 80mg

#63 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3648 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

I would file all of these under worst and weird because they all sucked and I thought they were strange

ZOLOFT- fuck that, wouldn't even take one 25mg dose for a million dollars. It fucked me up almost immediately, but I took it as long as I could- five days. It seemed like a mixed episode or something. It was awful. No sleeping, suicidal thoughts like crazy, couldn't stop moving yet felt sedated, CONSTANT panic attack. All day. They didn't know I was BP, in their defense. I reacted like that to every SSRI, maybe a bit less intense and I would stop them MUCH sooner.

ABILIFY AND LITHIUM- I'm fat. Now I have to work really hard to lose weight. I was a bit underweight when I started them, a month and a half ago I was 8lbs overweight (I'm losing a bit now, thankfully)

CELEXA- Auditory hallucinations. "Why, that can't be! It only happens to an almost imperceptible amount of people!" "WELL IT OBVIOUSLY HAS TO HAPPEN TO SOMEONE! bitches." ugh.

TRAZODONE: SCARY and nightly hypnogagic hallucinations. ONE visual one was actually pretty sweet. The rest of it? Horrifying not to mention the most blurred line I've ever had between sleeping and waking.

and this last one was awful:

ANY SNRI: fucking urinary retention. I mean, I'd have to piss so bad, sit down and I was lucky to piss within five minutes of sitting down at home. If I was drinking at a party? Yeah, I'd wait fifteen minutes on the toilet a few times. Then I'd tell SO we had to leave because I couldn't piss. This sucks because as far as AD's go, I liked those the best, but I'd not choose to take them ever again because that was awful, he he. 

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II or NOS, GAD, ED-NOS
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, diazepam 5mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, clonazepam, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium

sun moon stars rain

#64 dancingteapot

dancingteapot

• Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

on loxapine i can't stop drooling. not just in my sleep, but during the day also which is very embarassing.

schizoaffective.

meds: haldol (depot) latuda concerta klonopin trazodone ambien and finally cogentin

other: ECT in 2013

#65 Parapluie

Parapluie

Cactus Grenade Girl

• Inmate
  • 1712 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Not really weird, but...

Celexa: Caused a mixed state-type thing (energetic depression?) which caused me to start cutting. They're serious when they say SSRI's can cause suicidal or self harm thoughts and behavior. 

Effexor: At first, it caused the WORST urinary retention. I would sit on the toilet for 15-20 minutes and be unable to piss. The only way I could piss was to drink like 2 L of water a day plus coffee and tea. 

Trazodone: Worst constipation of my life. 

Seroquel: Coincidentally coincided with my first psychotic episode. I doubt Seroquel caused the psychosis, but still... Strange.

Abilify: Gained 30 lbs. :( At low doses it causes akathisia and made me hypomanic.  But, now that I'm on 30 mg, I have no side effects at all! :D

Benadryl: Makes me SUPER hypomanic, for days. It's like a euphoric panic attack, if you can imagine that. 

Edited by Parapluie, 27 May 2013 - 03:11 PM.

Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, ADHD, mathematics disorder
Abilify 9mg (tapering), Effexor XR 300mg, Lamictal 150mg,
 propranolol 20mg PRN

#66 Crazymusician0704

Crazymusician0704

Fire crazy monster

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:23 AM

Saphris - made me either stoned or have really bad akathisia

Depakote...just made me fat...I went from 125/130 to 160 in 6 months...

Thorazine - auditory and visual hallucinations...helps with the paranoia though

- not being able to tell between dreams and reality

- hallucinations in the between state of awake and sleep

Geodon - whenever I drank alcohol, I wouldn't get buzzed, tipsy, or drunk...I would just go straight to hungover

Abilify - horrid tremors

One of the meds i was on...don't remember which one, made me have really weird, vivid, and intense dreams, not bad...just weird

One made me wet the bed

most everything in the AP world has given me either TD symptoms or akathisia 

nothing too out of the ordinary...I don't really get shocked by much at this point.

Dx: Atypical Bipolar II, Psychosis, Depression, Anxiety, OCD, ADHD, Anorexia (recovered), Asthma, Hypoglycemia, Chronic Sinusitis (recovered with surgery), Insomnia, Accomodative Esotropia, Asperger's (possibly)

Rx: , Thorazine 10mg (3xday), Ambien 10mg (PM), Ventolin (PRN), Klonopin .5mg (2xday PRN), Wellbutrin 300mg (AM), Lamictal 25mg (2xday) and going up

Past Rx: Zyprexa, Abilify, Celexa, Seroquel XR, Saphris, Cogentin, Geodon, Lexapro, Depakote (getting weaned off!!!! as of 7/14/13, I'm on 250mg 3xday instead of 500mg 3xday), Ativan

"My songs know what you did in the dark, so light em up"

I'm actually doing considerably better than I was a few months ago when I joined here. I came here while I was hallucinating, having some intense delusions, couldn't control my anger (ie tearing the door off of the wall), and would fall flat on my face in a puddle of depression that would last for months. 

I haven't had a manic phase since I went IP in May...I was manic probably a few days/weeks before that. 

I've been depressed but only for short times, been suicidal yeah, but been able to keep busy.

I have a job now, so I'm making something of myself and I'm moving out of my parents house in a few weeks :)

I'd say I went from :wall: to  :D

If anyone needs any help, just let me know, I'm happy to help!

#67 Frolic

Frolic

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:41 AM

Weirdest reaction to medication is actually for a non-psych one. I cannot take Nyquil, Dayquil, or their generics. All of them make me hallucinate something awful. I think I must just be sensitive to it, because I have heard that people will abuse them and take large doses for a high, so who knows. For me, I don't see the appeal, because every time has been terrifying.

When I was on a combo of Wellbutrin and Trazadone, I had blurry vision problems, and muscle weakness. That was NOT fun. 

Dx: Bipolar I, GAD, AvPD
Possible Dx: BPD

Other Dx: Hypothyroidism, Various gastrointestinal issues exacerbated by anxiety
Rx: 20mg Lexapro, 7.5mg Abilify, 150mg Lamictal, 100mcg Levoxyl, 5mg Zyprexa
Past Rx: Prozac, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Trazadone, Effexor, Celexa, Nuvigil

#68 Anodyne Oblivion

Anodyne Oblivion

Dolphin SCUBA Instructor

• Pip
  • 489 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Topamax took away my ability to feel emotion.

Which apparently is NOT one of the listed side effects. 

Once again, I am 'special'.....  bleargh

Dx with BP II and ADHD because who wants to actually take the time to test a grown woman for an ASD?  No, that'd be stupid.  And I'm silly for even bringing it up.  Despite the fact that 2/3 of my siblings are on the spectrum. 

meds:

Buproprion

Focalin

(Buspirone?  Probably not gonna take it)

#69 Cattitude

Cattitude

Kintsukuroi 金繕い

• Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

I've never reacted as expected to anything (and I've been on many different meds, pdoc is running out of ideas). Example: OTC cold meds that are "non-drowsy" knock me out. The "drowsy" versions keep me awake. So many drugs and effects, so few remaining memories... 

ECT was the worst. Not a drug, but my memory, which used to be amazing, is now Swiss cheese. I've completely lost the several months before the treatment, and it's sketchy now, both short and long term. I sometimes open my computer and see pages I opened the night before, that I have no memory of opening. Or, I will do odd things and later stop and not remember why I did them. Like buying a whole bunch of small fish tanks... I have 8 small ones and one big one, and no fish. 

Weight gain - I used to be morbidly obese to the point of nearly dying from various health problems (type II diabetes etc.). I had a gastric bypass, lost over 200 lb., kept it off for 5 years. Then last year I gained over 100 lb. on the meds. I paid $16 grand for a gastric band and have only lost about 25 lb. even though my current meds have knocked out my appetite and I only eat once per day, or two days. 

Weird bladder/gyno stuff: I'm on Modafinil so I won't sleep round the clock because of the other meds. It makes my bladder hurt, sometimes to the point where I can't tell if I need to pee, or I feel like I need to pee when I don't. I feel pressure "down there" - in a man it would probably be a permanent unpleasant erection, or partial erection. Remembering to drink a lot of water (see above) helps. Oh and yes I was checked for a bladder infection... 

Rashes: yes I've had the Lamictal full-body rash, to add to my usual eczema collection

AD side effects: Hot flashes and profuse sweats from Effexor, cutting myself and sticking needles in my skin from Paxil

I know there are others, but those are the ones I can remember right now

Dx: BP1 (Schizoaffective), PTSD, GAD, ADHD, BPD, Self-Harm, Med resistance
Rx: Latuda 80mg, Seroquel XR 200mg + IR 100mg PRN, Zopiclone PRN, Modafinil PRN.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Fails: Too many Rx to list, ECT, Booze

“Don’t be afraid of making an ass of yourself. I do it all the time and look what I got.” - William Shatner

“I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.” - Winston Churchill

chats_1-68.gif

"I'm running out of drugs for you" - My pdoc

#70 bookgirl

bookgirl

I think I can, I think I can

• Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Lithium made me piss and shit my pants in public and covered my skin (including my face and butt crack) with psoriasis. Plus, it didn't even work. I am never, ever, ever going on that med again.

Dx: Bipolar 1, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Binge Eating Disorder

Rx:  Seroquel (mania, psychosis, depression, and sleep), Lamictal (mood stabilizer), Trileptal (mood stabilizer), Lunesta (sleep), Mirapex (depression), Klonopin (anxiety)

Past Rx: Damn near everything

#71 Crazymusician0704

Crazymusician0704

Fire crazy monster

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:23 AM

Lithium made me piss and shit my pants in public and covered my skin (including my face and butt crack) with psoriasis. Plus, it didn't even work. I am never, ever, ever going on that med again.

I'm glad I haven't had that experience yet with a med, just bed-wetting with mine...thankfully nothing public (knock on wood)

I'm glad you changed meds!! I can't imagine how you felt..

Dx: Atypical Bipolar II, Psychosis, Depression, Anxiety, OCD, ADHD, Anorexia (recovered), Asthma, Hypoglycemia, Chronic Sinusitis (recovered with surgery), Insomnia, Accomodative Esotropia, Asperger's (possibly)

Rx: , Thorazine 10mg (3xday), Ambien 10mg (PM), Ventolin (PRN), Klonopin .5mg (2xday PRN), Wellbutrin 300mg (AM), Lamictal 25mg (2xday) and going up

Past Rx: Zyprexa, Abilify, Celexa, Seroquel XR, Saphris, Cogentin, Geodon, Lexapro, Depakote (getting weaned off!!!! as of 7/14/13, I'm on 250mg 3xday instead of 500mg 3xday), Ativan

"My songs know what you did in the dark, so light em up"

I'm actually doing considerably better than I was a few months ago when I joined here. I came here while I was hallucinating, having some intense delusions, couldn't control my anger (ie tearing the door off of the wall), and would fall flat on my face in a puddle of depression that would last for months. 

I haven't had a manic phase since I went IP in May...I was manic probably a few days/weeks before that. 

I've been depressed but only for short times, been suicidal yeah, but been able to keep busy.

I have a job now, so I'm making something of myself and I'm moving out of my parents house in a few weeks :)

I'd say I went from :wall: to  :D

If anyone needs any help, just let me know, I'm happy to help!

#72 teluia

teluia

The Ultimate Thread Killer

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

Ambien: Very distorted perspective, as though everything was melting. Severe amnesia.

Klonopin: Complete blackout... that did not end well.

Vistaril: In starting it, there were severe suicidal thoughts and embarrassing impulsiveness.

Any One Of Them (Unsure): Essentially full body, disabling tremors that lasted 30 minutes.

Happy Lights!: Contributor to mania when used during the summer.

Sushi & Red Bull: No side effects, they are just a brilliant combination of consumable food and liquid.

Squid Head: Not so much.

#73 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

Sister Hand Grenade of Enlightened Compassion

• Inmate
  • 1960 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:17 AM

Gabapentin:  Dizziness, Alice in Wonderland syndrome, vertigo.  Then after that wore off, I'm pretty sure it's causing an increased level of suicidality.  Great.

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE TIME.

"There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution."

Dx and Psych Rx in profile.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#74 Rowlena

Rowlena

• Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

Weridist: celexa the rest of the curents causing diahria and not constapation, werid

Worst: Viibrd-made me suisidal, cymbalta made me suisidal and brain zaps, prozac like sugar pills, trazadone hello hypomania, tegratol and geadone made me have the number 3s all night to the point I fell asleep in the bathroom, also did not help with the feelings of wanting to hurt myself. Yeaa meds!

"I refuse to Sink"

"The Truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off"

Gloria Steinem

DX: Bipolar NOS or II,  GAD, Panic Disorder but who realy knows...

Former DX: MDD,

RX: Brain: Celexa  40mg, 1Xday, Lamictal 200mg, 1Xdaily, Seroquel 75mg 1Xdaily ,Welbutrion 100mg, Gabapentin going to 6mg Clonazepam 0.125 prn
Other: Synthroid 75mg 1xdaily, Metformin HLC ER 500mg 4Xdaily, Givani, Multivitaman, Vitaman D

45minuets of therapy a week, love/hate but important to me

*also a terible speller! (whoops did it there!)

#75 shesellsseashells

shesellsseashells

zoom zoom

• Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

My hair became extremely dry and brittle after a few months of Lithium, and about 1/3 of it broke off/fell out.  I tapered off of Lithium this summer after taking the med for almost two years, and the state of my hair has greatly improved, of which I'm appreciative because that's one of the few things I like about myself.

Current diagnoses: ADHD-inattentive type, alcohol abuse, bipolar disorder, eating disorder, migraine, OCD

Current psych meds: Adderall ER (20 mg), Geodon (60 mg), Lamictal (400 mg), Propranolol ER (80 mg), Propranolol (60 mg), Prozac (40 mg)

Past psych meds: Abilify, Ambien, Amitriptyline, Ativan, BuSpar, Campral, Celexa, Cymbalta, Depakote, Effexor, Lexapro, Lithium, Lunesta, Nortryptaline, Paxil, Ritalin, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Tamazepam, Topamax, Trazodone, Zoloft

#76 tinypunx

tinypunx

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

Lamictal - gave me akathisia, sent me into a mixed state, and gave me violent/scary intrusive thoughts for all of the first two weeks. I got a smaller taste of it each time I went up with the dose, and the higher I went, the more prone to mania I seemed, and the more tinnitus I got. The intrusive thoughts/impulses/fears (OCD-esque symptoms, basically) have stuck around, too. And to make matters even weirder, decreasing the dose causes constant suicidal ideation (but not depression) and a sense that I'm dreaming, that nothing is real. It's a really bad combo, and is largely the reason I haven't tapered off of it yet. I also get acne, slight cognitive dulling, and random little rashes from it, but that's fairly normal I guess. 

Abilify - gave me Parkinson's-like symptoms (terrible shaking, some muscle stiffness, tremor, etc.), some twitching (including in my lips!), I couldn't concentrate on anything to save my life, AND it made me immediately hypomanic. Not anxious, no akathisia, just hypomania and movement issues galore. I was on it for four days. (Edit: Ahhh, I almost forgot! The first two days, I had the hiccups of death and nausea. But they went away. As a plus, I finally learned how to stop even the most resilient of hiccups, for real!)

Other side effects haven't been too strange, I guess. Trazodone gave me headaches and dizziness the first week or so, but nothing now. Lithium gives me a slight tremor, increased thirst/urination, spotty memory, acne, elevated TSH, and (weirder) may or may not have something to do with my current swollen lymph nodes (they've been like this for over a month, and they're the higher ones, under my jaw). It also messed with my vision the first few weeks.

Oh, and it's not exactly a psych med, but hydromorphone (6-8 times stronger than morphine?) makes me (hypo?)manic, and most opiates have weird or minimal effects on me. And both haldol and benadryl make my mother hallucinate. 

Edited by tinypunx, 21 December 2013 - 11:58 AM.

current dx: bipolar type I with mixed states, psychotic features, and ultra rapid cycling

past dx (made at age 8): ADHD, oppositional defiant disorder, chronic depression, night terrors (from ages 0-12)

current rx: oxcarbazepine 450mg, lamotrigine 75mg, trazodone 100mg, alprazolam 0.5mg prn

current supplements: multivitamin, vitamin D 5,000 IU

past rx: aripiprazole, lithium citrate, levetiracetam, bupropion

past supplements: omega-3s, zinc, melatonin

#77 CeremonyNewOrder

CeremonyNewOrder

• Pip
  • 570 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

The worst was a mere .5 of Haldol put me into full blown dystonia. I was grinding my teeth so hard I thought I was going to break my teeth and my neck was as stiff as wood. Resperidone gave me a similar reaction but not as bad.

Abilify made me manic. I never slept the week I was on it and went on shopping sprees and slept around. I finally ended up inpatient and was taken off of it.

There's others but those were the worst.

Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder (bipolar type), Hypothyroidism, Sleep Apnea

Rx: Lithium 1800mg, Zyprexa 10mg, Effexor 150mg, Levothyroxine 0.05mg

Past rx: Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Effexor, Seroquel, Abilify, Wellbutrin,Tegretol, Depakote, Invega, Resperidone, Doxepin, Ativan, Valium, Haldol, Latuda, Clomipramine, Restoril, Trazodone, Remeron

#78 Jessamine

Jessamine

• Pip
  • 462 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:47 AM

I've had all kinds of odd one's.

Lexapro nearly gave me horrendous chest pains to the point my GP took me off it quick fast.

Dothep turned me into a zombie. I couldn't get out of bed. Ever.

Effexor XR made me forget which side of the road to drive on. I left my daughters school with kiddies in the back seat and drove on the wrong side of the road. I was taken of it pretty soon after reporting that one. Scared the pants off me.

Remeron caused massive thundering headache and so much tired. Anxiety also got worse.

Citalopram worked first time around but when I tried to get back on it had 5 hour long panic attacks and stomach pain that made me double over.

Endep, zombie.

Paxil made my body think it was pregnant. It worked well for about 9 months, then all of a sudden I got permanent PMS and finally started to lactate. Supposedly this happens to about 1 in every thousand people who take it. This was the strangest of the lot.

GAD, Panic Disorder, IBS, Fibromyalgia, Agoraphobia-semi recovered.
Currently  unmedicated. Valium if needed.

Past medications: Paxil, Dothep, Effexor XR, Lexapro,
Luvox, Remeron, Citalopram, Endep Cipramil, Sinequin/Doxepin, Xanax.

:ninja:

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.