• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 brainweather

brainweather

post-human

• Pip
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

i don't think i've ever had really out of the ordinary (thankfully.. i don't really experience too many bad side effects). some of you have had some strange and horrific side effects! i feel for you guys.

- i have permanent tinnitus from one of my meds... i'm not positive which was the culprit but i suspect it was wellbutrin XR,

- i've gone on zoloft three times in my life. each time it helped immensely with anxiety. each time i gained 50-100 lbs, including this current round.  :( i'm afraid to go off it because of its effectiveness, even though it obviously triggers my binge eating.

- i think use of ssris has caused permanent anorgasmia, but it might just be primary anorgasmia since i started using them pretty young and my memory is shit.

- atarax makes me pass out pretty much instantly. benadryl also has a disturbing sedative effect on me.

- celexa caused horrible GI issues upon starting it. thought i had food poisoning at first.

beyond that, med combos usually give me some dizziness, sweating, sensitivity to sunlight, dry mouth. 

psych dx: double depression (MDD & dysthymia); GAD; OCD;

social phobia; panic disorder; EDNOS (bulimia, BED, BDD);

mixed features of cluster a & c personality disorders.

other dx: dyspraxia, dyscalculia, chronic fatigue/pain,

misophonia, myopia, photophobia, overactive bladder,

IBS-D, asthma, miscellaneous environmental allergies.

rx: wellbutrin 450 mg, zoloft 200mg, seroquel XR 150mg, ventolin,

flovent, vesicare, non-drowsy antihistamines, nasacort, 

visine, multivitamin, tylenol w/codeine prn, marvelon bc pills.

#82 Stickler

Stickler

Weird

• Pip
  • 2672 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:20 PM

Avelox made the whole world go on spin cycle, like, you know how when you're really drunk everything spins slowly?

Well, imagine it a whole lot faster.  I had to call off work, and I don't call off work-if I'm gonna be miserable I might as well get PAID to be miserable.

So far, it's the only fluoroquinone antibiotic that does weird stuff to me, others are fine.

Effexor sent me into an agitated suicidal rage.  Abilify did the same thing but not as intensely.

I used to take theophylline.  I tried wellbutrin on theophylline.

When my asthma got worse, I took more theophylline, as I was accustomed to do...and became very ill.  Like a very spectacular case of food poisoning.  

I was in and out of consciousness, and while in, was wracked with dryheaving and muscle spasms while sweating buckets and having excruciating pains in my head.  I'd come to and start moaning "maaake it stop! Maake it stop!"

I mean, two-exits-no-waiting was the beginning, but after my entire digestive tract was emptied of all contents in a mightily efficient manner, the wrenching just kept going and going and going.

I vaguely remember that my mom gave me a phenergan suppository to stick up my butt.  At least I could still stick it up my own butt.  Some vestige of dignity was still there.

A wreck in progress.

chaos.gif

#83 Light

Light

* Breathe *

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:11 AM

I was on paxil for over 10 days. Worse.med.ever.for.ME  - 10mg

- *Insomnia - never had it before - First night on paxil i was fine - infact i felt REALLY good and at peace and relaxed, i would say i was 'proper' sedated from then on, i had under 10 hours sleep - in 6 or so days
I was scared i was going to lose my mind completely - i was scared i was going to die, i did'nt and still don't know how i was even alive let alone not in psych ward..

- I think i went *psychotic, due to the insomnia, my brain was going, i felt it. I was SUPER paranoid and i saw a pdoc that agitated me and sent me into a episode ( psychotic / hyped / i don't know..) 
That's now damaged me so bad, and it's going to take alot for me to push myself into seeing a pdoc again and im so scared..

When in bed trying to sleep, all the time i was droozey but i just could NOT sleep. 
I was hearing shit, noises etc.. I even heard i think a female voice, say a name starting with C or S - that SCARED the f out of me.. 
One night i got so *agitated and out of my mind i was up and down off the couch at looking at the meds in the cubbard, seriously thinking i should kill myself. I even had the psych ward's number handy because i was just gone.. It was scary.. 

- Agitation
- Restlessness
- Suicidal thoughts mixed in with the agitation and restlessness*
- Depression started/triggered
- Diarrhea - that made me poo my pants..
- Teeth grinding at night mostly - resulting in a sore jaw throughout the hell period of time i was on paxil, and lasting weeks after i was off..
- Trouble with weeing. Did'nt know when or if i really needed to pee ( i think i had this before i was on paxil though, i'm not totally sure - during all this things kinda of fall into each other.. ugh )

The Insomnia was so bad that i got a OTC herbal sleep aid that would'nt interfere with paxil, made me sleepy but it did'nt work, and i was already feeling sleepy.. it was going to sleep and staying bloody asleep was the real problem..
Finally got temazepam, when i was finally able to see a doc again - i had to get up early enough to answer a call from the mental health team before i went to stay with family - was home alone at this time - took sleeping tablet - worked.. i guess i got 2-3 hours i woke up, looking at the time and noticing it was dark, i thought oh okay its 7am and it's just dark, turn tv on, tv show is on that's not on at this time of morning - started to get ready for the busy day ahead, finally woke up that i had only sleep 2 hour's and i DID'NT finally sleep throughout the night like i thought sleeping tablets do.. ( i know now at least! )

Horrible, frightening experience ...

Severe anxiety/Panic attacks/ Head picking/, OCD - Intrusive thoughts, Depression(back - 3 years 'clear') Agoraphobia, SH/SI

Current : Sodium Valproate 400mg x2 a day     As needed :  Temazepam 10mg,   Diazepam 5mg (twice a day) not helping!!

*Off* Paroxetine (paxil) - 10mg - Insomnia, etc. 

Venlafaxine SR/XR 150mg Useless

Mirtazapine 15mg

#84 Crazyfroglady

Crazyfroglady

• Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:08 AM

fanapt made me wet the bed every night for about 31 days

"I always wanted a happy ending... Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme,
and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change,
taking the moment and making the best of it without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity."
-- Gilda Radner

I'm so sick of when they say
It's just a phase, you'll be o.k. you're fine
But I know it's a lie - Skillet 'The Last Night'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paranoid Schizophrenia/ schizoaffective bipolar type

PTSD/

OCD
GAD

According to my brilliant pdoc - I do not need to be medicated   hahahahah

#85 freezing_moon

freezing_moon

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

Geodon made me fall asleep in public when i was on a higher dose. it was so sedating that a while after a dose, i'd just fall asleep wherever I was, even if that meant passing out on a table at a restaurant or in a waiting room chair or whatever

Edited by freezing_moon, 11 May 2014 - 04:43 PM.

Dx: bipolar NOS + panic disorder

Rx: lamictal 200mg, wellbutrin 150mg, tapering off of geodon 40mg x2

#86 iaawal

iaawal

• Pip
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Viibryd took away my coffee craving during the time I was on it - I had like 4 cups in a whole month. As soon as I got off of it, I went back to my 2-4 cups a day. 

Olanzapine knocked me out like a horse tranquilizer.

Diagnoses:

• Bipolar Disorder NOS
  • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
  • Psychotic Disorder NOS
  • Borderline features

Treatment:

• Lithium 300mg, Prozac 40mg, Saphris 15mg, Ativan 1mg PRN

Past Treatments:

• Viibryd 20mg, Xanax .5mg, Abilify 2mg, Zyprexa 7.5mg, Lamictal 200mg, Celexa 40mg and Risperdal 3mg
  • CBT, DBT, talk therapy

#87 San

San

Lawful Evil

• Inmate
  • 3657 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

Wellbutrin made cigarettes taste like shit. I couldn't enjoy a smoke because it tasted so awful. (It did kill the cravings, but I was stressed one day and bought a pack of smokes and they were DISGUSTING, my normal brand and everything) I threw them out.

Codeine makes my nose, and only my nose, itch like mad.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, ADHD - Inattentive

Rx: Risperdal Consta (25mg injection, 2 weeks) Clonazepam (1.5mg) Lexapro (20mg) Ritalin (40mg) Artane (PRN)

Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / Antipsychotic Comparison Tool

#88 Squish

Squish

• Pip
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

I have incredibly vivid, fantastical dreams on venlafaxine. On the one hand these are sometimes so interesting that I don't want to wake up from them. I've had several dreams set on man-made planets with impossible physics, a couple in a Middle Earth type place and another where I was a member of a family of Ghostbusters (complete with ghost hoovers to capture black demon things). CGI has nothing on my sleeping brain when it comes to dazzling special effects.

On the other hand, nightmares are an awful lot more horrific and violent. I envy the people who have mundane dreams when I've spent the night being trying to stop a horde of zombies rising out of the ocean because of some kind of satanic ritual gone wrong (or right??). It's exhausting.

Dx: MDD

Rx: 300mg venlafaxine XR, 30mg amitriptyline, fish oil

If you stare into the sky on a clear winter night,
when the stars are aligned and the magic is right,
you may catch a glimpse of the Space Whale's flight,
As he sings his song with celestial might...

#89 MrTastybutt

MrTastybutt

Lazy Ninja!

• Pip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

I didn't know I had heart problems and was put on Fanapt. I blacked out while on the toilet and ended up falling over into the bath tub. Which is really bad because Fanapt worked really well for me.

Schizophenia

"More voices in her head than the Wu Tang Clan." - Christopher Titus

Previous:  Zoloft, Citalopram, Escitalopram, Bupropion, Paroxetine, St. John's Wort, SAM-e, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Abilify, Saphris, Fanapt, Tramadol, and others.

Current:  Levothyroxine SOD .2 MG, Carvedilol 3.125 MG x 2 daily, Effient 10 MG, 81 MG Aspirin, Onglyza 5mgs, Linosipril, and some others.  Vistaril and Buspar.  Tramadol 50 mg x 3 times daily for pain.

Now with Lantus!

#90 mellifluous

mellifluous

• Pip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

clozaril made me drool (Klassy) and it also gave me horrible constipation, among other things. the one "weird" thing was a result of that. i went just over a week without anything "moving" and then one day i's feeling the feeling and 

you know the film alien? that viscous goo the alien is coated in? something akin to that came out of my ass. it was HORRIBLE. definitely wasn't just out with it either, more like crapping rubber cement taffy. there were tears and a very, very hot shower.

the alien shit was my last straw with clozaril

#91 Crazyfroglady

Crazyfroglady

• Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:28 AM

fanapt made me wet the bed for an entire month when I started it

yea .......... not impressed

ummm

paxil made me suicidal

lamictal increased sexual urges - not sure how to put that delicately

"I always wanted a happy ending... Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme,
and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change,
taking the moment and making the best of it without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity."
-- Gilda Radner

I'm so sick of when they say
It's just a phase, you'll be o.k. you're fine
But I know it's a lie - Skillet 'The Last Night'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paranoid Schizophrenia/ schizoaffective bipolar type

PTSD/

OCD
GAD

According to my brilliant pdoc - I do not need to be medicated   hahahahah

#92 ballerinagirl

ballerinagirl

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:28 AM

In 1995 when I was first diagnosed with severe depression my usual psychiatrist was away and his "replacement" prescribed Serenase (haloperidol). I cannot remember much of what happened as I was admitted to hospital. I was psychotic and hallucinations and with parkinsonianism, still can't figure out whether it was the haloperidol or the antidote for the Parkinsonism that drove me off the edge. My husband was terrified and so was my usual doc when he got back. I only recently discovered that haloperidol is contraindicated for severe depression.
Last week a new psychiatrist prescribed Seroquel for insomnia. I took 12.5 for two nights. Never again. The nightmares were hallucinatory, and absolutely horrific - worse than any gory movie I've ever seen. I decided I'd rather stay awake all night than have any more of those, and I never want to repeat the famous Serenase incident of 1995. :-/

#93 RedMan

RedMan

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:23 AM

Worst side effects were on Remeron.  Woke up in a serious rage. Later that day was arrested for assault.  When I told my pdoc what happened she said that I should start cutting the pills in half.  I hung up in that bitch's face and never saw her again.

Second worst was Paxil.  Suicide attempt landed me in ICU.

Dx: PTSD/Anxiety & Panic Disorder

Rx: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, pet cat and dog, Mixed Martial Arts, Clonazepam 0.5mg PRN

Didn't Work: Elavil, Cinequan, Paxil, Zoloft, Haldol, Buspar, Remeron, Gabapentin (blurry eyes!)

#94 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8641 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

The worse side effect was that Zonegran gave me renal tubular acidosis (kidney disease). 8 years later, my kidneys have almost returned to normal, just in time to try lithium.

Well, because this thread is still active, I will tell you of the further consequences of Zonegran (for *me*). I was in remission form the Renal Tubular Acidosis (RTA) for several years. Then in November of 2013, we called an ambulance because I had chills, and a *little* flank pain. I never have much flank pain during kidney infections, and the pain is supposed to be incredible, and helps with the diagnosis. So the EMT didn't believe me, and tried to talk me into staying home. Then the ER treated me the same way. Until they got the blood tests back saying I had reached the point of sepsis.

The underlying problem was that I had some huge kidney stones blocking a duct. So I was in the hospital for 4 days while they stablized me, and a couple of weeks later went back to have my stones removed surgically. Hooray. In the interim, I had a bag attached to my kidney draining off urine to bypass the blocked duct. It was like having a really bad smelling tail.

From the xray taken for my follow up exam, it became evident there was already a kidney stone developing on my right side. An xray 6 weeks after that showed multiple kidney stones in both kidneys. I had to do this ultrasound break up of stones in my right kidney. And two months later, it looks like there may be yet another stone. And my left kidney is crammed.

So the RTA is back; I take a buffer three times a day, that is supposed to make my blood less acidic.

And the worst part was I *hated* Zonegran, I got a lot of the more usual side effects to. I kept asking to come off of it, but my ndoc said my headache diary said I was having fewer headaches. Ugh. I should have been a stronger advocate for myself.

So this is pretty rare, and is not something that should drive you away from trying Zonegran. But it happened.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#95 Bixo

Bixo

I navigate in a forlorn sea.

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

Haloperidol: seizures and parkinsonianism.

APs and ADs in general: numbness, "voidness" (Nev was almost never there. If I am sedated, he is sedated too)

Edited by Bixo, 21 June 2014 - 03:38 PM.

Immersed in the waters of melancoholy. Sunk by oneself.

Dreaming.

I am a complex mix, so what? I am tired of my misdiagnosis, I hate them.

I would write those symtoms that caused the mistakes instead of the misdiagnosis, or I would erase my signature later: psychosis, dissociation, social delay, anxiety, stress, depression, hypomania, obsessive-compulsive tendencie, secundary speech disorder, trauma-related problems, depression, Self-injury, unsociality, antisociality, akathisia, panic attacks, high pain tolerance...

I have tried APs, ADs and Benzos.

Well diagnosis: High cortisol, high ACTH.

#96 saddest

saddest

enjoy failure

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

Venlor/Venlafaxine: hot flushes, constricted throat, rage, tears, restless leg syndrome, breathlessness, suicidal and more.

My entire life fell apart, just because of my reaction to a drug that works beautifully for many.

Edited by saddest, 17 July 2014 - 12:47 PM.

Dx: cptsd, bpd features, clin depression, poss bipolar.
Rx: 40mg citalopram, 150mg quetiapine.

ain't got no how whatchamacallit (kurt cobain)

#97 pearlzandlace012

pearlzandlace012

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

Not weird, but Haldol made/makes me extremely tired. When I was on 20mg of it, I could barely stay awake. Now I'm on 7.5mg and just feel a bit tired the whole day.

Diagnosis: Psychosis NOS, Mood Disorder NOS, Anxiety

Medication: Haldol 7.5mg, Zyprexa 2.5mg, Cogentin 2mg, Lexapro 10mg

Past Medication: Risperdal .5mg, Topamax 50mg, Seroquel 300mg, Latuda ?mg

Still not understanding.

#98 San

San

Lawful Evil

• Inmate
  • 3657 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

Artane, after I take it, and until I go to bed, makes me belch a LOT. It's kinda gross. How classy of me! But it helps with side effects, so I'll deal with it. Maybe I have acid reflux? I don't know. I just notice that after I take Artane I start belching a lot, and i take it PRN.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, ADHD - Inattentive

Rx: Risperdal Consta (25mg injection, 2 weeks) Clonazepam (1.5mg) Lexapro (20mg) Ritalin (40mg) Artane (PRN)

Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / Antipsychotic Comparison Tool

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.