Photo
- - - - -

Your pros and cons of lithium for bipolar II...and go!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 girlwiththefarawayeyes

girlwiththefarawayeyes

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

I've been given the assignment to research it. I'm reading up on all the medical sites, but I'd like anicdotal stuff too. What do you like? What don't you like?

Thanks!

...a little bleary and worse for wear and tear was a girl with faraway eyes...

Either major depressive disorder w/ADD or bipolar II. New pdoc votes MDD w/ADD...lots of ADD.

Trading Latuda for Lexapro and Seroquel, I guess. Keeping beloved Neurontin and Diet Coke.

#2 blcpd1

blcpd1

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hey girl...
I like the way it chills me out and helps stablize my mood and anger, but I don't like the weight gain, blood tests and the old man feel. My body doesn't move and bend like it used to. Overall I am good with it.
Meds- 160mg Geodon, 1800mg lithium, 60mg Cymbalta, 1.5mg Klonopin, 6.25 Corig, fish oil, folic acid, and vitamin D

Diagnosed- Bipolar with anxiety and ADD

"Once and while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

#3 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

What do you mean by 'assignment to research'?

#4 girlwiththefarawayeyes

girlwiththefarawayeyes

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

It's not a school project. My tdoc told me to do some research for my own use. Basically, I'm burned out on meds. I've been on so many in the past couple of years. Nothing seems to work. He's trying to warm me up to the idea of lithium. He's a sly one, my tdoc.Seriously, he's a good guy. He just wants me to be really comfortable with this. However, nothing I'm reading is making me want to do this.
I've taken a couple of meds in the last couple of years (vyvanse and lamictal) that I feel have screwed me up for the long-term. I do not want to do any more damage.

...a little bleary and worse for wear and tear was a girl with faraway eyes...

Either major depressive disorder w/ADD or bipolar II. New pdoc votes MDD w/ADD...lots of ADD.

Trading Latuda for Lexapro and Seroquel, I guess. Keeping beloved Neurontin and Diet Coke.

#5 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4541 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

my god give it a try
I love Lithium, lots of people, me included have very few to no side effects
it is an awesome medication, and natural in a way

some people, me included feel the calming effect within three days
I would give it a try if I were you

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#6 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:02 AM

I've only been on it a week but my suicidal thoughts seem to be melting away. I don't feel so despairing about the state of my life. I think this is going to be a good med for me. I think it's starting to pull me out of this severe depression I've been in. I'm so pleased by this because no AD ever really worked for me (I tried about eight). Lamictal was the only thing that helped and it stopped working.

I've been reading about lithium's neuroprotective/neuroregenerative properties and it looks like it might be very healthy for the brain. Check out psycheducation.org's lithium page if you want more info on that.

I can't say too much about the downsides after a weeks use but there are the blood tests you need to check the level in your blood. Over the long run it can affect thyroid and kidney function. It can also cause some weight gain. I think you should definitely try it. Especially if you're running low on options like I was.

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1250mg (0.9mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Valium 10-20mg

#7 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Personally, I could not tolerate it. I stopped taking it because of the tremors. They were so bad that I couldn't function.

Dx: Bipolar Disorder I, ADD, BDD
Rx: Lamictal 300mg; Wellbutrin 300mg: Celexa 40mg
FAIL: Lithium; Geodon. Abilify

#8 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8619 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

I love lithium. It is what finally pulled me out of a year long episode of blech. I'm using it as an add on to Lamictal.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#9 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

They can have my Lithium when they pry it from my hand (along with my Cymbalta).

It works good, lasts a long time. yes it has side effects, so does everything else. It's the gold standard for bipolar treatment. The blood checks are infrequent and just not a problem, the longer you are on it and stable the less its an issue.

There is a certain percentage of people (like 20 or 25%) who don't get a response to Lithium. For most others it works well.

Don't let 'possible" side effects of any drug scare you away from trying them. And remember that most side effects fade with time.

Hope you feel better. a.m.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#10 werehorse

werehorse

• Pip
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:46 AM

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread - it has been very interesting to me. I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that I may need to try lithium, even though it has always scared me.

Getting the doctors to agree may of course be another problem!

@Were_Horse

http://werehorse.blogspot.co.uk

Current Dx: Persistent Mood Disorder Not Otherwise Specified
Current Rx: lamictal 100mg, depakote 1500mg, quetiapine 500mg, paroxetine 30mg

Previous Rx: fluoxetine, lofepramine, citalopram, risperidone, quetiapine, aripiprazole, amisulpride, carbamazepine

#11 rowan77

rowan77

• Pip
  • 2417 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Lithium has been great for me. I've been taking it almost 10 years now and can only say good things about it!

DX: Bipolar Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder

Current RX: Lithium Carbonate 800mg, Seroquel XR 800mg, Lamictal 100mg x2 daily, Procyclidine 5mg, prozac 40mg 

Also Yasmin 0.3/3mg for PCOS and Losec 20mg for Hiatus Hernia

Previous RX:
Anti-depressants: dothiepin, clomipramine, paroxetine, mirtazepine, lofepramine, venlafaxine, escitalopram, agomelatine
Anti-psychotics: thoridazine, risperidone, olanzapine, haloperidol, aripiprazole, chlorpromazine
Mood Stabilisers: carbamazepine, sodium valproate,
Anxiolytics: alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam
Hypnotics: lormetazepam, temazepam, zopiclone, zolpidem, flurazepam
ECT: 6 Treatments in 2003; 11 Treatments in 2005

"Be yourself - everybody else is taken." Oscar Wilde

#12 ahalo

ahalo

• Pip
  • 587 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Personally lithium really helped my symptoms and I didn't gain weight or anything like that. It really helped with nervousness believe it or not. I stopped biting my nails completely (and when I went off of it I started biting them again). Why i went off it... it made me have a horrible hand tremor. I couldn't write, I looked nervous all the time, etc. I miss the heck out of lithium and might ask to go back on it at some point. It helped, but I cant really be super detailed on HOW. I just know I felt better. BTW I have bipolar II.

----0.jpg We don't benefit from ignorance. -Obama, 1/16/13

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. ~Ernest Hemingy, A Farewell To Arms

#13 glitterpants

glitterpants

dork!

• Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Pro: works FAST, little to no side effects, really helped my symptoms for the most part.
Con: not always the best for depression (I still get depressed although it's far less severe than what it used to be), lots of drug interactions.

Personally it was a lifesaver for me, although not a magic bullet for the depression side of things.

Every storm runs out of rain. --Gary Allan

[bipolar II, PTSD with complex features, possible pure-O OCD.]

[900 mg lithium. 100 mg trazodone. 300 mg lyrica. 10 mg prozac. 5 mg abilify PRN.]
[Medication Graveyard: Lexapro/Cipralex, Effexor, Clonazepam, Ativan, Seroquel IR, Seroquel XR, Zyprexa, Zoloft, Propranolol]

#14 Titania

Titania

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 5260 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

What are you prepared to risk to get better?
Are you suffering enough and missing out on enough of your life to feel that it is okay to try a pill that you can discontinue at any time?
If not Lithium, do you have a better plan?
Do you trust your tdoc/pdoc, have they given you reason not to?

Is the misery you are in comfortable enough that you'd rather stick with it than take a chance of something with the potential to change your life? If I offered you an envelope that could have $5 or $5,000,000 dollars in it, would you refuse it in case it was only $5 inside?

Every person here who is taking Lithium is taking it for different reasons at different times in their life with differing results. You can research all day and never get a consensus. The important thing to consider is how ill do you have to be to feel like you haven't anything to lose?

“I am naïve and I have fucked up but I tell you something else. I believe in change. I don't mind getting my hands dirty because my hands are dirty already. I don't mind giving my life to this because I'm only alive because of the compassion and love of others.” Russell Brand.

"She said to go ahead and feel the feelings. I did. They felt like shit." Anne Lammot.

"you are not too old/and it is not too late/to dive into your increasing depths/where life calmly gives out/it's own secret" Rilke

"You," he said, "are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world, and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain." Emilie Autumn - The Asylum For WayWard Victorian Girls.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.