Photo
- - - - -

What was/is your therapeutic dose of Effexor ER (venlafaxine ER)?

venlafaxine effexor AD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vandeeje

vandeeje

Jen

• Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

I'm going to see my pdoc on Wednesday and right now I'm only on 75mg of venlafaxine ER (Effexor ER) and still really struggling with depression. That's putting it lightly. I spend 14-18 hours a day in bed, I rarely eat, my motivation and concentration are shot...let's just say it's not good. And I know what you're thinking, I should have called my pdoc about this already, and I did. The nurse said to wait until I see him on Wednesday to bring it up. I know what you're thinking now, my pdoc's office is full of assholes, and you're right. I am seeing a new one at the end of next month.

Anyway, I'm wondering what dose people have found therapeutic (of the Effexor ER)? I want to ask my pdoc to double my dose and am wondering if I should ask if that doesn't work if I can just call and have it upped again without having to fight with the nurse. Does that make sense?

Jen

Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar type, Occipital Neuralgia (also with undiagnosed dermatillamania - mostly my face and fingers)
Psych Rx:  Lithium 900mg, Effexor 75mg, Haloperidol 30mg

Other Rx: Zomig 5mg PRN, Claritan 10mg, Nasonex, Minocycline 100mg BID, Omeprazole 20mg, Mirena IUD
Vitamins: Multivitamin
Allergies: Lamictal, Ambien, Cymbalta, Depakote, Saphris, Latuda, Zyprexa, Fanapt

http://memoirsofasch...c.blogspot.com/
550893_419689864746596_1163945994_n.jpg

#2 y58

y58

Occupant

• Pip
  • 808 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

225 here

Depression, social anxiety. Ambien 10 PRN. Old diagnoses: schizophrenia, schizoid personality disorder.

Old: Clozaril, Abilify, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Temazepam, Ritalin, Geodon, Effexor, Remeron, Latuda

#3 albertolobat

albertolobat

• Pip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

I went up to 150 mg. Did nothing to lift my depression in those times. I took it for 6 months and then simply drop it. Curiously enough, without any tapering at all and I did not get any withdrawals. I am not endorsing this irresponsible behaviour, though.... YMMV.
Dx: Pure O OCD ("obsessive neurosis").
Rx: Clonazepam 0.5 mg, Aripiprazole 2.5 mg, Paroxetine CR 12.5 mg.
Ex Rx: Risperidone, Fluoxetine, Venlafaxine, Escitalopram, Zolpidem.

#4 jt07

jt07

Existing on the very edge of sanity

• Pip
  • 5415 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

When I took it, I believe that I was up to at least 300 mg of the immediate release (75 mg 4 x per day).

Dx: Atypical MDD with anxiety, possible ADD, OCD (mostly recovered)
Rx: Citalopram (20 mg), Remeron (45 mg), Abilify (30 mg), Carbamazepine (800 mg), Lamotrigine (200 mg), Ritalin (20 mg AM, 10 mg PM)

горький осадок, но сахара не надо

#5 Antigone

Antigone

Queen of the Neverlands

• Pip
  • 613 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

300 mg.

I am not one and simple, but complex and many. . . .
~ Virginia Woolf

Dx: c-PTSD, Bipolar I with Psychosis, DDNOS, Migraines
Rxs: Saphris 20mg, Wellbutrin 450mg, Zoloft 25mg, Klonopin 0.5 - 1 mg prn, Imitrex 100mg prn

#6 shimmeree

shimmeree

• Pip
  • 709 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

currently 225 mgs, + 37.5 mgs. titrating up to 300 mgs.

Dx: major depression, C-PTSD. (309.81, 296.3X), self- harm, alcohol abuse
Rx: 225 mg venlafaxine HCL (currently titrating up to 300 mg), 900 mg gabapentin AM, 900 mg gabapentin PM, 50 mg trazodone
past Rx: Paxil, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, clonazepam, lorazepam

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being. ~ Carl Jung
We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. ~ Carl Jung

#7 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

It was never fully effective for me, but I was an extremely depressed 15 year old. I think I did best on 225mg/day. We did try to go up further but I got too jittery at 300mg. From reading people's signitures on here it looks like most people take 150mg+. Sorry to hear you're feeling so shitty. I hope this works for ya.

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1000mg (0.6mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Ativan 0.5-1mg PRN

#8 rowan77

rowan77

• Pip
  • 1904 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

It did not become effective for me intil I hit 300mg. Unfortunately that was also the dose that sent me into mania

DX: Bipolar Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder

Current RX: Lithium Carbonate 800mg, Seroquel XR 800mg, Lamictal 100mg x2 daily, Procyclidine 5mg, prozac 40mg 

Also Yasmin 0.3/3mg for PCOS and Losec 20mg for Hiatus Hernia

Previous RX:
Anti-depressants: dothiepin, clomipramine, paroxetine, mirtazepine, lofepramine, venlafaxine, escitalopram, agomelatine
Anti-psychotics: thoridazine, risperidone, olanzapine, haloperidol, aripiprazole, chlorpromazine
Mood Stabilisers: carbamazepine, sodium valproate,
Anxiolytics: alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam
Hypnotics: lormetazepam, temazepam, zopiclone, zolpidem, flurazepam

ECT: 6 Treatments in 2003; 11 Treatments in 2005

"Be yourself - everybody else is taken." Oscar Wilde

#9 San

San

Chaotic Good

• Inmate
  • 2937 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

300mg had me hypo, so 150 worked best..

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type

Rx: Piportol Depot (50mg injection, every 2 weeks) Topamax (200mg) Clonazepam (1.5mg) Lexapro (40mg) Ritalin (40mg) Artane (5mg) Melatonin (5mg PRN) Zyban 300mg

Websites:  Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / WobblyPsyche Mood Tracker

#10 Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro

If you want to make sense, what are you looking at me for??

• Pip
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

Weirdly, I could only tolerate the base dose (75mg) of extended release of Effexor, any higher and I felt sick, so I just stayed on the base dose for years.

I then moved onto its cousin Pristiq and stayed on the base dose of that (50mgs) for years. It did help with my depression at that dose, but would probably have been more effective at a higher dose, but my then Shrink never pushed me to go higher.

My current Shrink has gotten me to withdraw off Pristiq due to his feeling that at the base dose it was below therapeutic levels. I'm not convinced that's the case though, as I felt that even at the lowest dose, both Effexor & Pristiq did have an effect.

Sorry for the rambling, to cut a long story short, YMMV

"Visual bruises can be covered with makeup. But down to the core I'm all bruises" Majandra Delfino.
* These are just my personal opinions/ experiences/ things that have worked for me over time, they may or may not work for you, I'm not a medical professional. Seek medical advice before undertaking any exercise, medication, diet, or any major lifestyle changes *
Chiaroscuro: basically put; a juxtaposition of light & dark, commonly used in Art.
Current Dx:
Bipolar I -Rapid Cycling without psychosis-| Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)| Asthma| Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)| Self Dx: ED/ Calorie restriction/ Binging/ Over Eating/ Slight Purging/ Over Exercising /Fasting/ Abuse of laxatives/ Disordered Eating/ Self Injury/Harm.

Previous Dxs:

BPII

Rapid Cycling BPII
Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)

Some traits of some sort of personality disorder (Pdoc never said which PD he felt it was)

Lack of coping mechanisms

Impulse control issues
Current Rx:

Lamictal (Lamotrigine) 100mg AM| Zactin/Lovan/Prozac (fluoxetine) 20mg AM|Valium (Diazepam) 2mg tablets prn|Eutroxsig (levothyroxine as thyroxine sodium) 50mg AM 5 days & 100mg 2 days a week|Symbicort Inhaler 200mcd/6mcg prn|Nexium (esomeprazole) 20mg AM & PM |Zantac (ranitidine) prn|~for Hayfever~ Telfast (Fexofenadine) 180mg AM OR Zyrtec (cetirizine) 10mg AM 
Previous Rx:
Lithium| Seroquel XR & IR (Quetiapine) | Epilim (Sodium Valproate)|Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine)| Effexor XR (Venlafaxine)| Aropax (Paroxetine Hydrochloride)| Cipramil (Citalopram Hydrobromide)

"Think of the solution, not the problem" ~Richard Rahl~ -Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series-

#11 Mazzy

Mazzy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

I take 37.5mg every 3 days. I'm really sensitive to it. I take it when I start to feel the depressive part of my BP start to creep in. It zaps me out of wanting to wallow and sleep all day. Plus only taking it every three days allows for me to avoid sexual side effects. Working so far...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: venlafaxine, effexor, AD

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.