• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 eldorado

eldorado

village idiot

• Pip
  • 1051 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

What is one of the worst (if not absolutely the worst) book you've ever read all the way through?

Right now, I'm thinking of The Fountain Head. I remember reading it in high school and the near apocalyptic fit my English teacher had when I called it a work of self important, intellectual masturbation.

I didn't get a very good grade on that paper.

How about you?

​BPI  and stuff   You are not your diagnosis. 

Indifference:  (noun)  The amount of time between when the event occurs and the pain manifests. 

#2 koa

koa

Live every week like it's shark week.

• Inmate
  • 1759 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

Umm, probably Jonathan Livingston Seagull. That book was a trite piece of crap.
Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder, Depressive Type (or possibly depression with psychotic features)
RX:, Latuda 40mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg,
Previous RX: Zyprexa, Abilify, Prozac, Ativan, Risperdal

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." -- Henry David Thoreau

#3 InfiniteInsanity

InfiniteInsanity

• Pip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

A raisin in the sun. I was forced to read that in high school. It was so dry and boring.

Diagnoses: Schizoaffective bipolar type, self-harm, OCD, ADHD, PTSD, Possible ED, and possibly a personality disorder
Current Meds: 900mg Lithium, 300mg Seroquel , 100mg Amitriptyline, 40mg Vyvanse , .5mg Xanax as needed, .5mg Cogentin
Meds I took that didn't work:  Abilify, Prozac, Latuda, Saphris, Geodon (too big to swallow), Risperdal, Lamictal, 
Effexor

Also, my name may seem masculine or gender neutral, but I am a lady! :)

#4 simon_l

simon_l

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Goethe's Faust, probably the worst kind of pulp fiction I was ever forced to read. The German version's language is horribly out of date and the story is 'meh'.
DX: Anxiety disorder, OCD (intrusive thoughts) and something depressive-ish.
RX: Tianeptine 12.5mg / 3x per day, Lorazepam 1mg PRN - Tried and disliked: Sertraline, Paroxetine, Cymbalta

#5 koa

koa

• Inmate
  • 1759 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

What is one of the worst (if not absolutely the worst) book you've ever read all the way through?

Right now, I'm thinking of The Fountain Head. I remember reading it in high school and the near apocalyptic fit my English teacher had when I called it a work of self important, intellectual masturbation.

I didn't get a very good grade on that paper.

I agree with you about The Fountain Head. What makes the book kind of bad for me, other than that I don't personally object to collectivism, is that the writing style is not particularly good or interesting. It makes it hard to get through such a longwinded book.
Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder, Depressive Type (or possibly depression with psychotic features)

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." -- Henry David Thoreau

#6 eldorado

eldorado

village idiot

• Pip
  • 1051 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

I agree with you about The Fountain Head. What makes the book kind of bad for me, other than that I don't personally object to collectivism, is that the writing style is not particularly good or interesting. It makes it hard to get through such a longwinded book.

Yeah, I remember thinking that in addition to what I thought was poor writing and clearly Mary Sue characters, just how far her notion of individual Objectivism would take her if she was dropped off by herself in the middle of the forest in the Yukon. All of a sudden Collectivism doesn't sound like such repulsive notion.

Indifference:  (noun)  The amount of time between when the event occurs and the pain manifests. 

#7 koa

koa

• Inmate
  • 1759 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

I've never heard the term "Mary Sue character" before, but yes, looking it up I agree with you on that. All the characters are one dimensional and way too obvious in what they represent.

#8 Rowlena

Rowlena

• Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

I really disliked The Things They Carried, I had to read it for school, blech. I also despised The Bluest Eye(also read for school), it was just written poorly about a very important topic. And I love to read too, sad that two immediateatley pop to my mind, I think I might need to start the opposite topic. What is the best book you ever read.

"I refuse to Sink"

"The Truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off"

Gloria Steinem

DX: Bipolar NOS or II,  GAD, Panic Disorder but who realy knows...

Former DX: MDD,

RX: Brain: Celexa  40mg, 1Xday, Lamictal 200mg, 1Xdaily, Seroquel 75mg 1Xdaily ,Welbutrion 100mg, Gabapentin going to 6mg Clonazepam 0.125 prn
Other: Synthroid 75mg 1xdaily, Metformin HLC ER 500mg 4Xdaily, Givani, Multivitaman, Vitaman D

45minuets of therapy a week, love/hate but important to me

*also a terible speller! (whoops did it there!)

#9 Octopuppy

Octopuppy

• Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Marked by P. C. and Kristin Cast.
I couldn't resist getting to the end in the desperate hope the authors were just warming up. It never happened, but another like, nine books did.

She may have well named the main character Mary Sue Redbird. Oh god, it's just so bad. Worst thing I've ever finished, started, handled, vomited on or attempted to flush down a toilet.

And still the sun shines over the tops of trees and into houses, and there's always another day.

Dx: Depression, anxiety, BPD, OCD, dissociation, transgenderism. Rx: Prozac.
Dx: Allergies: eczema, asthma, hayfever. Rx: Fexofenadine, Clenil and Ventolin inhalers.

#10 Titania

Titania

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 5260 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Anything by Dickens and 50 shades of grey. I hated Hard Times more though.

“I am naïve and I have fucked up but I tell you something else. I believe in change. I don't mind getting my hands dirty because my hands are dirty already. I don't mind giving my life to this because I'm only alive because of the compassion and love of others.” Russell Brand.

"She said to go ahead and feel the feelings. I did. They felt like shit." Anne Lammot.

"you are not too old/and it is not too late/to dive into your increasing depths/where life calmly gives out/it's own secret" Rilke

"You," he said, "are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world, and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain." Emilie Autumn - The Asylum For WayWard Victorian Girls.

#11 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Atlas Shrugged. Interesting ideas, turgid characters and insufferable monologues. Would be a pretty good book if cut 50%.

I learned last year that Ayn Rand refused to allow it to be edited. She gave up her income from the paperback edition in order to get it published as-is.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#12 CrankyMe

CrankyMe

Salty

• Pip
  • 987 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

I am so embarrassed to admit I read this book. However, it was very popular at the time and my marriage was falling apart.

Men are From Mars, Women Are From Venus

I doubt I have to go into detail about the hundred kinds of awful it was.

Don't you do that sometimes? Play turtle turtle? With your T-shirt?" - Guinea Pig

#13 Mirazh

Mirazh

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we're all mad here and it's okay.

• Inmate
  • 2374 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hot damn, it's good to be an ADDer. If I really, REALLY can't stand something, I literally cannot read it.

This kinkster who works in an adult store REFUSES to read 50 Shades. I knew it'd be utter crap before I ever read reviews. Onky good thing I'll say about it is how many women that get inspired by it who then come into my store and spend money. Okay, and they're exploring more of their sexuality.

So, the books are awful overall... okay the first is the best. "Earth's Children" series by Jean M. Auel, that one starts with Clan of the Cave Bear. I'm a nerd and I just adore all the endless descriptions of the geography, ecology, cultures, etc. Could do without the cheesy sex and other bits. I own the last book, I own the whole series, but the last book (Painted Caves) is the worst. Waited about a decade for the damn thing, and like 85% of the damn book is made up of written descriptions of prehistoric cave paintings. WTF. Ridiculous. Oh, and Ayla is rather a sort of Mary-Sue character too. BUT I still enjoy most of the other books.

I think that's it, though. I read a lot. I own a lot of books. But, if I think it's crap, I literally cannot read it, my brain turns to mush and it's painful. No exaggeration, no figurative speech - it's purely painful to try forcing myself to continue.

Important Info: Neighbourhood punkicorn and emogoff; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ne / nem / nir / nemself

tumblr_inline_n7dsmwRe2n1rghkw5.png

#14 Mirazh

Mirazh

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we're all mad here and it's okay.

• Inmate
  • 2374 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Oh and others think it's pretentious crap but I still love "Sophie's World." But, I first read it in Jr. High.

I LOVED Johnathon Livingston Seagull... in early Elementary, because I used to have the movie as a young kid and watched it over and over and over.

Important Info: Neighbourhood punkicorn and emogoff; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ne / nem / nir / nemself

tumblr_inline_n7dsmwRe2n1rghkw5.png

#15 malachite

malachite

• Pip
  • 1316 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

Lord of the Flies. No. A book by Faulkner. It was so dreadful I can't remember which one it was. I feel like I should be putting this in The Confessional.

Type of Crazy: MDD and GAD
Former meds: Geodon, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Xanax, Klonopin, Zoloft, Paxil, Lamictal, Temazapam, Risperdal, Serzone, Trazodone, Lexapro, Xanax XR, Buspar, Effexor, Desipramine, and about seven more I can't remember.
Current psych meds: Clomipramine (50mg.) Valium (2mg.4
x a day) Trileptal (600mg.) Lunesta (2.mg) OR Ambien (10mg.) Trazodone (100mg.)
Other Meds: Crestor, Metformin,Omeprazole, Propanalol
Physical woes: Migraine, PCOS, CFIDS, Diabetes, High cholesterol
ECT (Fall 2010), (Fall 2012)

"You might be the wrong color, yeah, you might just be too poor. Justice isn't something, just anyone can afford."-Ani Difranco

#16 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

I also read The Fountain Head in high school and agree - it makes the list.
I think Bridges of Madison County is crap.

I totally disagree on Raisin in the Sun. It is a brilliant, timely play and groundbreaking.
The play was nominated for four Tony's in 1960. Sidney Poitier was, of course, awesome
both on broadway and in the movie.

There was an excellent revival in 2004 staring Sean Combs. The new production was filmed
and broadcast on ABC in 2004. 12,7 million viewers watched the television movie of the play.
I love this play and think it should be part of every young person's curriculum. If you watched
one of the films it might come more to life for you.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#17 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

Life is too short to finish a book I hate. Then again, I haven't read a novel in years.

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#18 YetAgain

YetAgain

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

Life is too short to finish a book I hate.

I agree, wholeheartedly.

I usually abandon books that I don't like, without finishing them. What follows is not the worst book I've read part of; it is the worst one I have read cover to cover.

The worst book that I finished reading was "Killer Crabs" by Guy N. Smith. I still can't believe I read the whole thing. The unrelenting awfulness of the story kept my eyes locked to the page. I haven't been able to scrub the memory of reading it from my brain, even though it has been many years since I read it. Ugh. Just, ugh.

After finishing this book, I wondered if my ability to read would be revoked by the universe, as punishment for my transgression.
I literally take everything literally. Please be patient if I don't understand.

#19 Unstrung Harp

Unstrung Harp

• Pip
  • 1560 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Anthem by Ayn Rand. Never moved onto The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged because I hated Anthem so much. Also, I found As I Lay Dying by Faulkner to be pretty horrid, but I was in high school when I read it, so I wonder if I would like it more now.

DX: Atypical major depression, GAD, panic, social anxiety, migraines
RX: Brintellix (15 mg); buspirone (45mg); adderall xr (20mg); clonazepam (.5 mg PRN); alprazolam (.5 mg PRN)

#20 eldorado

eldorado

village idiot

• Pip
  • 1051 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

Oh, this is a good one. I just finished Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn. Just wow! How do I even begin to explain? If I were making a Hollywood pitch for this book, it might go something like this,

"Okay, imagine Tom Clancy':s learning impaired, 14 year old son, writing Die Hard, but set in the White House. Oh, and we won't let him have an editor to cut out 3/4 of the book. And instead of Bruce Willis having a wife, the obligatory love interest is a young, strong, independent, feminist, journalist (by the way, have any of you noticed how often when they have a female charter in fiction just because, she's usually a journalist?), on her first day covering the White House, who can't help but be sway by the rugged manliness of the hero."

The only reason I was able to finish the book, was because of the occasional, unintended chuckle it provided.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.