Worst book you ever finished

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 My PorcelainLife

My PorcelainLife

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

"Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead", Steinbeck's "In Dubious Battle", and "The Old Man and the Sea".
Four-way tie. I would rather eat all four books, page by page, than have to read any of them ever again.
"Am I the infidel? I thought it was supposed to be someone else, but now I see it's me. I am my own worst enemy."
-Rasputina "Retinue of Moons/I am the Infidel"

"Fee-fi-fo-fum. Now I'm borrowed. Now I'm numb."
- Anne Sexton

DX: Bipolar I, GAD, Panic Disorder, PTSD, ED-NOS, Crohn's Disease
Meds: Seroquel, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Trileptal,.Cimzia, Fentanyl, Tylenol-4, Vitamin B-12

#22 Kodos

Kodos

Knowledge is power.

• Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:57 AM

The Sirens of Titan, by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

#23 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 7837 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

I can't remember what the Sirens of Titan was about, but that meant it wasn't one I particularly loved. We read Slaughterhouse 5, and Cat's Cradle for English in high school, then I read almost everything else of Vonnegut's (through Deadeye Dick). I think Slaughterhouse 5 is his best "literary" work.

You guys keep throwing out more and more books that I think, "Hmm, maybe *that* is the one." But I have to stick with Atlas Shrugged. Someone handed it to me freshman year of college, and it was, um, turgid. And badly written. GOD, how did that woman get so many books published?

I used to struggle through books I hated, and then in my mid-20s it occurred to me that there were *too many books* to spend my time on ones I didn't like.

Miron, I love Sophie's World, and read it as an adult. I have a high-order spatial learning disability ("high-order" means it doesn't show up until mid-way through calculus), and I literally am incapable of understanding most philosophy. That book really made philosophy graspable for me. Maybe it *is* for young people, and that is why I can understand it. But I love it anyway.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; CoQ10; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Green Coffee Bean Extract; Lamotrigine; Lithium; Magnesium Chloride; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. PM me if you have any questions

#24 Mirazh

Mirazh

Magically Fabulous

• Inmate
  • 2033 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

They had us read it in Jr. High and I just loved it ever since. Only later did I learn that some folks first read it in an 'introduction to philosophy' University course or similar.

Important Info: Neighbourhood unicorn; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ze / zan / zir

"I refuse to let past bruises cover the light, it ain't all good but it's good enough, so I know I'm alright.  Agony is truth it's our connection to the living, I accept it as perfection and keep on existing in the now.  I can only build if I tear the walls down, even if it breaks me it will never make me frown, I'm falling but no matter how hard I hit the ground, I'll still smile."

rgww.gif

Why Slytherin?

#25 hagar running

hagar running

shantih shantih shantih

• Pip
  • 7390 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

Fucking Ulysses. What a pain in my ass.

"But nobody ever sees how far the things we shouldn't feel can take us. I just want to walk along the shore for an hour, watch the waves rearranging whatever they can. I like the way the sea encourages me to think about the past, as if I could leave it where it is: the moon on the water, the stars that gleam and are gone."

#26 Gearhead

Gearhead

The Iguana In a Room Full of Rabbits

• Pip
  • 1540 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

An irredeemable self-published piece of crap that a friend of my husband's wrote. So ghastly I have repressed the title.

But I also loathe Anna Karenina, and had to read it for two different classes while in college.

Edited by Gearhead, 24 November 2012 - 06:46 PM.

Bipolar I, sports fans. Autism spectrum. With just un soup├žon of migraine...

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR,
15 mgs escitalopram, 4000 i.u. Vit. D3

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#27 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 7837 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

Gearhead, do you like Dostoevsky? One of my friends has a theory that you like either Tolstoy, or Dostoevsky, but not both. I haaaaate Dostoevsky, but I really like Tolstoy. Anna Karenina is actually my favorite of his! I've read it more than twice. :)

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; CoQ10; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Green Coffee Bean Extract; Lamotrigine; Lithium; Magnesium Chloride; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. PM me if you have any questions

#28 Wonderful.Cheese

Wonderful.Cheese

Cheddar makes everything better!

• Pip
  • 2332 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Uh-oh! I just downloaded, after a long wait, the first 50 shades book. I guess we will see what happens! My SIL loves them, but I guess we will see!
Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder Type and GAD and OCD and Insomnia (unspecified)

Abilify 30mg, venlafaxine ER 150mg, lunesta 3mg prn, clonazepam 1.5mg, lamotrigine 350mg, seroquel 800mg, Wellbutrin XL 150mg.

#29 Gearhead

Gearhead

The Iguana In a Room Full of Rabbits

• Pip
  • 1540 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

I'm neutral on Dostoevsky-my husband loves Crime and Punishment, but I'm lukewarm about it. I find his life story more interesting than his books! I like Pushkin's short stories, but the Russian writer I love most is Alexander Solzhenitsyn. Excuse me. I need to go read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich again.

Come to think of it, Solzhenitsyn had a might interesting life, too.

Bipolar I, sports fans. Autism spectrum. With just un soup├žon of migraine...

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR,
15 mgs escitalopram, 4000 i.u. Vit. D3

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#30 stormy13

stormy13

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Catcher in the Rye. Angsty teenager. Big whooping deal.They are a dime a dozen.

#31 stormy13

stormy13

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I agree with you about The Fountain Head. What makes the book kind of bad for me, other than that I don't personally object to collectivism, is that the writing style is not particularly good or interesting. It makes it hard to get through such a longwinded book.

Yeah, I remember thinking that in addition to what I thought was poor writing and clearly Mary Sue characters, just how far her notion of individual Objectivism would take her if she was dropped off by herself in the middle of the forest in the Yukon. All of a sudden Collectivism doesn't sound like such repulsive notion.

I'm not going to say that Ayn Rand was a great writer, but how exactly would Collectivism help anyone who was dropped off "by herself" in the middle of the forest in the Yukon? Sounds like Individualism or self-sufficiency would come in more handy there. Just sayin.

Edited by stormy13, 28 January 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#32 WinglessFaery

WinglessFaery

• Pip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

I guess im the only one here that likes ayn rand haha. Must be the libertarian in me.

If I had a problem with the fountianhead it would be that the main female character got raped by the main male character than just fell in love with him like "its all cool"

I find the bible a bit of a snooze fest does that count?

Im not intellectual enough for this conversation.

Edited by WinglessFaery, 28 January 2013 - 11:39 PM.

Dx BP I Rapid Cycling, GAD, Social Phobia, Panic Disorder,PCOS

Rx lamictal 300 mg, Busprone 60 mg, Lithium 1000 mg, Vistaril 50 mg ( which doesnt do squat),Metformin 2000 mg

Previous Rx zoloft, prozac, lexapro,seraquel, depakote, xannax, ambien, trazadone, abilify, cymbalta

<p>[color=#40e0d0]Mental Illness is a flaw in chemistry not character.[/color

#33 Likeabowlof0ranges

Likeabowlof0ranges

• Pip
  • 720 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

The entire twilight series, yeah all of them. I have no excuse. My ex was mad into it.
Bipolar Disorder I, generalised anxiety disorder, social anxiety, somewhere on the aspergers/autism spectrum, non - verbal learning disorder, EDNOS
Current Meds: Seroquel 650 mg, Lamicital 350mg, Ativan 3mg, Abilify 10mg, Temazepam 30mg, Klonopin PRN <p>Previous Meds: Lithium, Zoloft, Lexapro, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Pristiq

#34 stormy13

stormy13

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

The entire twilight series, yeah all of them. I have no excuse. My ex was mad into it.

Oh yeah, I guess I blocked out that first twilight book. I did read the whole thing. AND saw the movie. Ugh. I blame my daughter.

#35 LordoftheMonkeys

LordoftheMonkeys

Worship me.

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

The worst book I've finished would probably be Monkey Bridge.  I had to read it in my senior year of high school.  It was the more boring, pointless load of drivel I have ever read.  All it was was a 300-page long ramble about how the backwards farming culture of early 20th century Vietnam was vastly preferable to that of the Western world, not-so-cleverly disguised as a story.

Current Dx: High-functioning autism, schizoaffective disorder (trying to change this to STPD), bipolar I ultra-rapid cycling, ADHD, temporal lobe epilepsy
Current Rx: Aderall, Risperdal, Geodon
Past Rx: Prozac, Cylexia, Trileptal, Anafrinil, Cogentin, Seroquel, Lithium, Saphris, Lamictal, Ritalin, Zyprexa
Past Dx: Major depression with psychotic features, psychosis NOS

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#36 sizzlestatic

sizzlestatic

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

It tickles me how many people have said Atlas Shrugged or other Rand books. It was terrible, but I was determined to finish it.

dx:

bipolar 2 (i think - long story)

before that, depresion, anxiety

self-diagnosed as maybe OCD/ADHD

rx:

celexa 40 mg

wellbutrin 150 mg (i think)

Li 900 mg

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.