Worst book you ever finished

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 CeremonyNewOrder

CeremonyNewOrder

• Pip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:15 PM

I agree with everyone about Ayn Rand. I nominate Their Eyes Were Watching God.

Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder (bipolar type), Hypothyroidism, Sleep Apnea

Rx: Lithium 1800mg, Zyprexa 10mg, Effexor 150mg, Trazodone 50-150mg, Levothyroxine 0.05mg

Past rx: Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Effexor, Seroquel, Abilify, Wellbutrin,Tegretol, Depakote, Invega, Resperidone, Doxepin, Ativan, Valium, Haldol, Latuda, Clomipramine, Restoril, Trazodone, Remeron

"This is the part of me that needs medication"-Modest Mouse

#42 Crazyfroglady

Crazyfroglady

• Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:31 AM

toss up between    she's come undone   and  a tale of two cities

both books were horrifyingly awful in their own way

oh one book I didn't even make it 30pages into was  I think called the   Mason Dixon Line or something - there were so many grammatical errors that as a middle school kid I was picking them out.........my parents tried to read it as well  and yea none of us could stomach the idiocy

"I always wanted a happy ending... Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme,
and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change,
taking the moment and making the best of it without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity."
-- Gilda Radner

I'm so sick of when they say
It's just a phase, you'll be o.k. you're fine
But I know it's a lie - Skillet 'The Last Night'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paranoid Schizophrenia/ schizoaffective bipolar type

PTSD/

OCD
GAD

According to my brilliant pdoc - I do not need to be medicated   hahahahah

#43 San

San

Lawful Evil

• Inmate
  • 3665 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:50 AM

More, Now, Again by Elizabeth Wurtzel.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, ADHD - Inattentive

Rx: Risperdal Consta (25mg injection, 2 weeks) Clonazepam (1.5mg) Lexapro (20mg) Ritalin (40mg) Artane (PRN)

Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / Antipsychotic Comparison Tool

#44 Gearhead

Gearhead

The Iguana In a Room Full of Rabbits

• Pip
  • 1701 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

I loathe Wally Lamb. And Jonathan Franzen.

Bipolar I, sports fans. Autism spectrum. With just un soup├žon of migraine...

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR,
15 mgs escitalopram, 4000 i.u. Vit. D3

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#45 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 5374 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#46 helloheartbreak

helloheartbreak

• Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

Worst that I've read to the bitter end - A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, Fury by Salman Rushdie, The Time Travellers's Wife by Audrey Niffennegger, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

On the other hand, I love Jonathan Franzen and Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon. Good thing we have so many books in the world to choose from!
Don't lie, cheat, steal, or quit, and be nice when you have a chance because you never know when it will be the last one.

Dx: Schizoaffective, PTSD, & Refractory Migraine
Rx: Lithobid 900mg, Prazosin 4mg, Fanapt 12mg, Clozapine 100mg, EMSAM Transdermal 6mg/24hr, Botox Type A, Retin-A
PRN: Migranal, Phenergan, Zofran
Vitamin: Riboflavin 200mg, Gummy Veggie Omega-3s, Daily Multi

#47 Unstrung Harp

Unstrung Harp

• Pip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

toss up between    she's come undone 

I thought I was the only one who hated that book. It seems like everyone always raves about it, and Wally Lamb. It stuck with me, but not in a good way.

To the poster who said The Old Man and the Sea, I agree with you. That book was torture in high school. And some of my favorite books are by Hemingway.

DX: Atypical major depression, GAD, panic, social anxiety, migraines
RX: Brintellix (15 mg); buspirone (45mg); clonazepam (.5 mg PRN); alprazolam (.5 mg PRN)

#48 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8653 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:51 AM

I hated Catcher in the Rye as a student, but I really came to love it after teaching it. The framework is a little chaotic, and there are crucial plot points sort of hidden in the story if you don't pay attention (which bored students usually don't). But I really already liked JD Salinger, especially the Glass family stories. I wrote about "A Perfect Day for Banana Fish" for the essay for my college application.

Oh yeah, Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace. It was soporific. And so, my literary bona fides crumble around me.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#49 Hpunk94

Hpunk94

It's Always Something

• Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

Had to read Around The World In 80 Days in middle school.
Loathed it.
DX: OCD, Possibly Schizoaffective, Anxiety

Current Meds: 50mg Seroquel, 0.25mg Xanax/1mg Ativan as needed

#50 MiaB

MiaB

another crazy cat person

• Inmate
  • 3214 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood. There are no words.

Then, anything by Nadine Gordimer I was forced to read at university.  Most pretentiously boring and overrated Novel Prize winner in existence.

BP1 (with psychosis), migraines

Daily meds: Lithium 1000mg, Seroquel XR 600mg, Seroquel IR 125mg, Lamotrigine 300mg, Fluanxol 1mg, Loprazolam 2mg

PRN meds: Diazepam 10mg, Maxalt 10mg

Ex meds: Alprazolam SR, Amitriptyline, Ativan, Clozapine, Effexor XR, Etomine, Ritalin, Solian, Tegretol, Thorazine, Trileptal, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Zolpidem, Zopiclone, Zyprexa

I am not a healthcare professional of any kind.  Always consult your care provider.

Paragraph breaks are your friend. 

#51 koa

koa

Live every week like it's shark week.

• Inmate
  • 1605 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach.  That book sucked shit. 

Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder, Depressive Type (or possibly depression with psychotic features)
RX:, Latuda 40mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg,
Previous RX: Zyprexa, Abilify, Prozac, Ativan, Risperdal

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." -- Henry David Thoreau

#52 Stickler

Stickler

Weird

• Pip
  • 2679 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

Funny, I liked " their eyes were watching God.". I was really pissed off when I finished "the sound and the fury". I worked my way through all the stream of consciousness and felt no payback whatsoever. Really annoying.

A wreck in progress.

chaos.gif

#53 Stars

Stars

• Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

" Of Human Bondage" Somerset Maugham, 1915. I read this forever ago  and felt it was a long boring read.  Furthermore, the I felt the author just wallows in self pity. All I gained from this book was a healthy dislike of the author.

#54 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2620 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

I agree completely with Tatiana. Hard Times by Charles Dickens. I have a rule that I don't read any book more than 300 pages because I don't have that much time in my life. I read that book in HS. So, it was reading up to 300, and then getting cliff notes because my family did not have a personal computer or modem that would have been in use for 1989ish.  And then writing a report on it for my world history teacher. Yes, she made us read fiction books. And I agreed with her point. We can learn a lot about history from fiction written during that time. Hard Times was extra credit for failing one of Dickens other books and I've completely erased that out of my memory.  

If I was a character in that book I would have killed myself before it started.

db

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1500 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg

topamax 50mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

"Psychiatry is just this year's candy pink stove." from the tv show Madmen.

#55 writehellarandomshiny

writehellarandomshiny

"You are the little f-n engine that could" - Unstrung Harp

• Pip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Twighlight. By far. It doesn't help that I hate vampires, romance, and love stories.

<><>One of the best moments in life is when you find the courage to let go of the things you can't change.

<> I AM A SURVIVOR <>

----Always forgive your enemies; nothing upsets them more-----

Diagnoses: ADHD, Mood Disorder NOS, Generalized Panic Disorder Without Agoraphobia 

Meds: Ambien 10mg, Zoloft 25mg, celexa 40mg, Snythroid 75mg, adderrall 30mg, Visitril 25mg prn 

#56 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8653 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:38 AM

DB, I taught Western Civilization, and I made my kids read literature, and if possible showed movies of plays. It absolutely humanizes history. I had flexibility, because I taught at private schools.

I had a unit on Daughter of Time, which pits the two theories of whether Richard III was evil, or falsely usurped, against each other. Then we had a "trial" where lawyers questioned the characters, to get their side of the story. I was convinced of which side was correct, until my students did their trials. Now I'm not sure. But the point of the exercise was that contrary to belief, history is not written in stone, and to learn to read skeptically.

We read a story from Dubliners, one of the less opaque ones. Hamlet, because it is crammed with contemporary politics of the Tudor Era. And some poetry, I think all of it American, to be honest. I am also am really weak in18th century lit. They read Pride and Prejudice in English class. We did try to coordinate with each other, when possible.

I also taught English. I freaked my FIL out when we discussed the Mayor of Casterbridge after he had just read it, and he hadn't realized any of the points I raised. Heheh.

For Western Civ, we also watched Sister Wendy. The kids lurved her, they liked to watch each episode of her show several times.

Edited by crtclms, 10 July 2014 - 01:39 AM.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#57 Unstrung Harp

Unstrung Harp

• Pip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

For Western Civ, we also watched Sister Wendy. The kids lurved her, they liked to watch each episode of her show several times.

Sister Wendy! Who doesn't love Sister Wendy?

DX: Atypical major depression, GAD, panic, social anxiety, migraines
RX: Brintellix (15 mg); buspirone (45mg); clonazepam (.5 mg PRN); alprazolam (.5 mg PRN)

#58 StormBeforeCalm

StormBeforeCalm

Compulsive Snarky Geek Chick

• Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

I've read quite a few books to the end, hoping they'd get better, but they never do. The most recent one that springs to mind is Gone Girl. The first part was quite good, the middle rapidly declined, and the ending was just horrid. I've heard that the movie version of the book will be out soon and that they've completely changed the ending. So it may be the rare case where the movie outshines the book.

DX: MDD, GAD, OCD, skin picking, regular migraines, ocular migraines, allergies
RX: Lexapro, Pristiq, Celexa, bunnies, Topamax, Prozac 80 mg, Abilify 5 mg, Deplin 15 mg, Buspar 15 mg, One a Day VitaCraves Gummies multivitamin

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.