Photo
- - - - -

Cymbalta (Duloxetine) for ADHD or other concentration issues?

ADHD attention schizoaffective schizophrenia depression concentration bipolar disorder

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Überpolarbear

Überpolarbear

i second LunaRufina's member title.

• Pip
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hi,
(now that i'm free of mood swings and (maybe) psychosis or whatever) I have realized that i have probably a very massive case of AD(H)D.
The problem is that my doc is totally convinced that i have some sort of psychosis so i'm absolutely not going to get any sort of stimulant out of him although he also mentioned the possibility of ADHD. He didn't directly mentioned that I could have ADHD per se. The thing is i was diagnosed with Asperger's before and he believes the Asperger's diagnosis is Bullshit and he said you know sometimes people with ADHD produce positive Asperger's ... test results or diagnoses or whatever.

So i'm seriously "doing my homeworks" to find out what i could take for the inattention and concentration problems i have (which i have always had but when you are totally depressed or agitated as hell you dont really care but now i do care)

I'm basicly looking for some sort of ADHD relief which is not an stimulant and not Strattera (cant tolerate and insurance wont pay for it) so it will most probably be an antidepressant (which the insurance will also pay). And doc would also not prescribe wellbutrin because it's a dopamin reuptake inhibitor (psychosis)

So long story short, I went through all the possible antidepressants and Cymbalta looks quite good. It inhibits the uptake of both noradrenalin and serotonin (1:1) and to lesser extent dopamin (which is good). Note that it inhibits the uptake of noradrenalin 20 times as much as Venlafaxine (effexor) and the Nor. is the thing good for ADD. as well as dopamin.

And then there is this small study where they tested it on some kids with ADD and it worked: http://onlinelibrary...p.1188/abstract

Ok whatever, Have anyone ever tried cymbalta for ADHD or any other sort of problem with concentration or attention?

Cheerz
bear

"humor is therapy" (Viktor Frankl)
Diagnosis: [/size][/size]bipolar ultradian rapid cycling, schizophrenia NOS, being a pervert. Yes. this is bipolar. fuck the docs who say i'm schizo. ok maybe it's schizo, Clearly Schizoaffective disorder. Spooky shit!
meds: Lithium 675mg, valproic acid (generic depakote) 1200mg, Clozapine 300mg, Trazodone 50mg, Zyprexa 20mg, Carbamazepine 600mg, lamictal 50mg, valproate (generic depakote stuff) 1750mg Seroquel 600mg (soon to be 800 probably). Zyprexa 30mg, Solian (Amisulpride (AAP)) 600 mg, Lyrica 150mg, Topamax 150mg
, lamictal 25mg

#2 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

Struggle is the price you pay

• Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

I'm no expert, but have worked as a Pharmacy Tech on and off since I was 18 and I have never heard of it being used for ADD. Also being ADD myself have never been told about it. I may ask my dad (pharmacist) if he has heard of anything like that though.

Diagnosis: Bipolar 1, GAD, ADD

Current meds: Lamictal 400mg 1x daily, Lithium ER 900mg,Adderall XR 30mg 2x daily, Klonopin 2mg 2x daily, Vistaril 25mg 4x daily, Geodon 60mg at bedtime, Saphris 10mg at bedtime, Viibryd 40mg, Procardia XL 30mg( for HBP), Asprin 81mg, Zyrtec 10mg x1 daily,

Previous: Abilify 15mg, Zoloft 50mg, Lexapro 10mg, Zyprexa, Seroquel plain and XR, Trazadone,Vyvanse , Neurontin 100mg, Strattera, Geodon 120mg &160mg, Adderall 30mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mgmg, Geodon 80mg, Paxil, Risperdal, Buspar

#3 Titania

Titania

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 5012 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

If your pdoc is concerned about ADHD but won't prescribe a stim, what are his plans going forward? I think his plans are probably going to be more sound than internet research done with us, none of us have anything more than unreliable anecdotal thoughts on this. I am concerned that you are minimizing what I saw to be pretty heavy psychosis from a lot of what you posted and have self diagnosed with something you now want to figure out how to treat without really listening to your pdoc.

You don't sound well, tbh.

“I am naïve and I have fucked up but I tell you something else. I believe in change. I don't mind getting my hands dirty because my hands are dirty already. I don't mind giving my life to this because I'm only alive because of the compassion and love of others.” Russell Brand.

"She said to go ahead and feel the feelings. I did. They felt like shit." Anne Lammot.

"you are not too old/and it is not too late/to dive into your increasing depths/where life calmly gives out/it's own secret" Rilke

"You," he said, "are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world, and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain." Emilie Autumn - The Asylum For WayWard Victorian Girls.

#4 Überpolarbear

Überpolarbear

• Pip
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

If your pdoc is concerned about ADHD but won't prescribe a stim, what are his plans going forward? I think his plans are probably going to be more sound than internet research done with us, none of us have anything more than unreliable anecdotal thoughts on this. I am concerned that you are minimizing what I saw to be pretty heavy psychosis from a lot of what you posted and have self diagnosed with something you now want to figure out how to treat without really listening to your pdoc.

You don't sound well, tbh.

well i'm having a shitty day. i'm indeed not well. but you are assuming i'm having heavy psychosis by reading a handful of posts (are you a doctor?)
i have been diagnosed with ADHD before and have been prescribed ritalin and strattera before. ritalin was good but doctor pushed me to take 50 mg which was too much and strattera was bad. and changing doctor lead to different diagnosis and ... whatever.
i'm wondering which is more psychotic. my old posts or diagnosing me with "heavy psychosis" by just reading them.

Diagnosis: [/size][/size]bipolar ultradian rapid cycling, schizophrenia NOS, being a pervert. Yes. this is bipolar. fuck the docs who say i'm schizo. ok maybe it's schizo, Clearly Schizoaffective disorder. Spooky shit!
meds: Lithium 675mg, valproic acid (generic depakote) 1200mg, Clozapine 300mg, Trazodone 50mg, Zyprexa 20mg, Carbamazepine 600mg, lamictal 50mg, valproate (generic depakote stuff) 1750mg Seroquel 600mg (soon to be 800 probably). Zyprexa 30mg, Solian (Amisulpride (AAP)) 600 mg, Lyrica 150mg, Topamax 150mg
, lamictal 25mg

#5 Titania

Titania

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 5012 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

I am not diagnosing you, but to me at least, many of your posts seemed out of touch with reality, you said yourself it is what your diagnosis is. I am not trying to criticize you, I am asking if you are well because you don't seem yourself.

“I am naïve and I have fucked up but I tell you something else. I believe in change. I don't mind getting my hands dirty because my hands are dirty already. I don't mind giving my life to this because I'm only alive because of the compassion and love of others.” Russell Brand.

"She said to go ahead and feel the feelings. I did. They felt like shit." Anne Lammot.

"you are not too old/and it is not too late/to dive into your increasing depths/where life calmly gives out/it's own secret" Rilke

"You," he said, "are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world, and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain." Emilie Autumn - The Asylum For WayWard Victorian Girls.

#6 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

Struggle is the price you pay

• Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

I just got off the phone with my dad I needed to ask him something else, but I asked him about the Cymbalta for ADD. Cymbalta and Prozac are basically the same thing, one generic fluoxetine the other is duloxotine. The Cymbalta also being used for Fybromyalga. He has never heard of Cymbalta being used for ADD. He does keep up on current drug uses and new uses. But as a disclaimer* he is not a complete expert, just a pharmacist that I think does his job darn well.

Diagnosis: Bipolar 1, GAD, ADD

Current meds: Lamictal 400mg 1x daily, Lithium ER 900mg,Adderall XR 30mg 2x daily, Klonopin 2mg 2x daily, Vistaril 25mg 4x daily, Geodon 60mg at bedtime, Saphris 10mg at bedtime, Viibryd 40mg, Procardia XL 30mg( for HBP), Asprin 81mg, Zyrtec 10mg x1 daily,

Previous: Abilify 15mg, Zoloft 50mg, Lexapro 10mg, Zyprexa, Seroquel plain and XR, Trazadone,Vyvanse , Neurontin 100mg, Strattera, Geodon 120mg &160mg, Adderall 30mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mgmg, Geodon 80mg, Paxil, Risperdal, Buspar

#7 Überpolarbear

Überpolarbear

• Pip
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

I may or may not be myself (maybe old self) because i have done (and am still doing) a great deal of (IMHO very successful) talk therapy and have changed my meds quite a bit (muchas less zyprexa with doc's direction). I admit that i have a rather unique personality and it might have become even "uniquer" due to "being more myself" (because of less zyprexa but much more due to the psychoanalysis i do). I don't really belive in the Schizophrenia diagnosis anymore really. It's quite possible that i have schizoid or maybe a pinch of schizotypical PD and that would explain why i sound weird (apart from english being my third or fourth language and the possible ADHD ;-) AND it's 1 am AND i've had an extremely bad day. i'm indeed confused. but the ADHD idea is all but new. it goes back to 1999.

Edited by Überpolarbear, 28 October 2012 - 06:39 PM.

, lamictal 25mg

#8 Titania

Titania

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 5012 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

We do try to keep peoples medically trained relatives advice off CB, I know you meant well and you put the disclaimer in, but it's best for people to speak to their own docs and not rely on what is second hand info that seems legit because a relative said so. It's not possible to know someones medical history or triage them here, let alone at a remove, and like you say, it's possible there is information your Dad doesn't have to hand.

#9 Überpolarbear

Überpolarbear

• Pip
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

I just got off the phone with my dad I needed to ask him something else, but I asked him about the Cymbalta for ADD. Cymbalta and Prozac are basically the same thing, one generic fluoxetine the other is duloxotine. The Cymbalta also being used for Fybromyalga. He has never heard of Cymbalta being used for ADD. He does keep up on current drug uses and new uses. But as a disclaimer* he is not a complete expert, just a pharmacist that I think does his job darn well.

Thank you very much. i just saw the study and went yay ok cool. I found cymbalta quite compelling also because there are all these studies around that it can be given to schizophrenics. in case that i actually have it as my doc says. I cant see why it shouldn't work because it does the same thing as desipramin (particularly muchas noradrenalin RE).

, lamictal 25mg

#10 chicchick

chicchick

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

Cymbalta is almost the same as prozac? I was considering switching to cymbalta, but if this is true it likely won't be of much help to me then :( Isn't Cymbalta a SNRI? I know prozac has a higher affinity for NE than many other SSRIs, but I guess I assumed ADs in two different classes would be more different.

Edited by chicchick, 29 October 2012 - 04:29 AM.

Dx: Major Depressive Disorder (Severe "Atypical") and ADHD-PI..... suspected BPII?
Past Dx: Panic Disorder and Tachycardia
Rx: Adderall XR 25mg, Adderall IR 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Prozac 20mg and Ritalin 20mg prn

Past Meds: Lexapro, Effexor, Concerta, Vyvanse, Xanax, Dexedrine, Ritalin SR

#11 Überpolarbear

Überpolarbear

• Pip
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Cymbalta is almost the same as prozac? I was considering switching to cymbalta, but if this is true it likely won't be of much help to me then :( Isn't Cymbalta a SNRI? I know prozac has a higher affinity for NE than many other SSRIs, but I guess I assumed ADs in two different classes would be more different.

Cymbalta is NOT the same as prozac. it has very high afinity for NE. even very much higher than effexor. 20x 3x higher. and a little of afinity for dopamine. prozac doesnt have ANY afinity for NE.

Oh i'm so stupid. Cymbalta has 3 times higher affinity than effexor not 20 times. I mistaked it with Milnacipran. Sorrryyyyy

source:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18622372

Edited by Überpolarbear, 29 October 2012 - 06:41 PM.

, lamictal 25mg

#12 chicchick

chicchick

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Cymbalta is NOT the same as prozac. it has very high afinity for NE. even very much higher than effexor. 20x higher. and a little of afinity for dopamine. prozac doesnt have ANY afinity for NE.

My mistake, I should have clarified, I meant 5-HT which often leads to indirectly effecting NE. As far as I believe (I could be wrong, not a doctor) I know Prozac has a realtively high affinity for 5-HT and is one of the less selective of the SSRIs, with Paxil being the only AD that is even less selective than Prozac. Prozac, and to a greater extent, Zoloft, also has a higher affinity (Though likely insignificant) for DA than other SSRIs, such as Luvox, Celexa, and Lexapro. Because DA is converted into NE, I would assume the indirect effects of these two factors combined, more so the 5-HT effect, would lead to a general increase in NE levels.

That's interesting about Cymbalta though. I wonder what the NE affinity of that drug is like compared to conventional stimulants like amphetamine.

EDIT: I just wanted to add sources to justify these claims.
Sources-
http://www.nature.co...l/1300057a.html
http://apt.rcpsych.o...nt/7/3/170.full

Edited by chicchick, 29 October 2012 - 04:06 PM.

Dx: Major Depressive Disorder (Severe "Atypical") and ADHD-PI..... suspected BPII?
Past Dx: Panic Disorder and Tachycardia
Rx: Adderall XR 25mg, Adderall IR 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Prozac 20mg and Ritalin 20mg prn

Past Meds: Lexapro, Effexor, Concerta, Vyvanse, Xanax, Dexedrine, Ritalin SR

#13 Titania

Titania

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 5012 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

I am going to lock this thread if people cannot provide evidence for the medical claims they are making about medications to advise each other. We are here to discuss personal experiences and how to work with our healthcare providers, not give each other questionable claims about medication which may not be fact.

Please rethink where this is going.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ADHD, attention, schizoaffective, schizophrenia, depression, concentration, bipolar disorder

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.