• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hagar running

hagar running

shantih shantih shantih

• Pip
  • 7390 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

My new therapist keeps coming back to two main points in our sessions: the adult child of an alcoholic, and the borderline personality. What are the differences and relationship and overlap between them? Does one have anything to do with the other? I realize BPD is a diagnostic label for a psychological disorder, while adult child of alcoholics seems more like just a psychological construct/concept to explain certain personality traits(?), but do they have anything to do with each other? Does growing up in an alcoholic unstable household trigger BPD?

I'm just sort of confused. Any explanations would be appreciated :).

"But nobody ever sees how far the things we shouldn't feel can take us. I just want to walk along the shore for an hour, watch the waves rearranging whatever they can. I like the way the sea encourages me to think about the past, as if I could leave it where it is: the moon on the water, the stars that gleam and are gone."

#2 Titania

Titania

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 5012 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

They can coincide, but not all children of alcoholics develop a personality disorders. Living around an alcoholic person can cause someone to become codependent or develop problems with addiction, stress and mental health issues etc.

Marsha Linehans theory is that a combination of innate biological sensitivity in the brain to stress, along with a childhood where the sufferer was invalidated/neglected/abused/traumatized can combine to make a child adapt coping skills to survive. Over time and as that child grows up, the coping methods fail to work or have other consequences. It is these behaviors, not your personality or core self, which make up BPD, which is great because therapy can help you get new and healther skills.

People with BPD can be very perceptive, sensitve, creative, kind and brave. We do what we do to get by because we were never given the tools everyone else got given. We can and do recover.

“I am naïve and I have fucked up but I tell you something else. I believe in change. I don't mind getting my hands dirty because my hands are dirty already. I don't mind giving my life to this because I'm only alive because of the compassion and love of others.” Russell Brand.

"She said to go ahead and feel the feelings. I did. They felt like shit." Anne Lammot.

"you are not too old/and it is not too late/to dive into your increasing depths/where life calmly gives out/it's own secret" Rilke

"You," he said, "are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world, and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain." Emilie Autumn - The Asylum For WayWard Victorian Girls.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.