Can Seroquel XR be used to treat OCD?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SpartanForce

SpartanForce

• Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Well since I always go manic with SSRI when I try to treat my OCD, my only choice is to go for the antipsychotic route. So my question is, can Seroquel XR help with those nasty obsessive/intrusive thoughts?

Diagnosis: PTSD, Depression, Schizoid PD, OCD and Anxiety.
Meds: Aristab 20mg AM, Rivotril 2mg AM, Artane 5mg (3x), Luvox 100mg AM, Atenolol 50mg (2x), Losartan 50mg (2x), Venlafaxine 150mg AM, Glifage XR 1500mg PM.

#2 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Umm, It's worth a try. What type of OCD do you have? Like pure o or classic OCD? Because I don't go manic and I'm on two anti depressents. Also has your klonopin withdrawals went away.? How are you doing with that?

Diagnosed Drug Induced Psychosis...ADHD.....OCD.....Cannibas Psychotic Disorder..GAD.....Major Depression disorder-recurrent...Severe, Bipolar I....Migraines, Cluster headaches.... .

Gabapentin...600 mg once a day....Effexor XR 75 mg.....Risperdal...4 mg..... clonazepam 1 mg twice daily. Seroquel 200 mg once at night.....Prilosec 20 mg in the morning......Inderal 60 mg ER one in the morning. Remeron 45 mg once at night. Naratriptan 2.5 PRN .....Lyrica 75 mg 3x daily....Paxil 40 mg....Prazosin 2 mg......

The sun is a round window into the city of gold.

#3 SpartanForce

SpartanForce

• Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Umm, It's worth a try. What type of OCD do you have? Like pure o or classic OCD? Because I don't go manic and I'm on two anti depressents. Also has your klonopin withdrawals went away.? How are you doing with that?

I don't know what type of OCD I have, all I know I have some obsessive/intrusive thoughts regarding some stuff. I try it with Luvox for about 3 days and couln't handle it, my mind raced like hell, couln't sleep. About Clonazepam... well, was all well to get from 0,2mg to nothing within a few weeks - but with my mind racing I had to take more to couple with that. Back to fucking zero I guess. I will not take Luvox anymore, just worse it all.

Meds: Aristab 20mg AM, Rivotril 2mg AM, Artane 5mg (3x), Luvox 100mg AM, Atenolol 50mg (2x), Losartan 50mg (2x), Venlafaxine 150mg AM, Glifage XR 1500mg PM.

#4 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Seroquel has helped my anxiety, thank God.
But when I am upset I still ruminiate like crazy.

Talk to your doctor and try it. And you might need to experiment to find the best dose.
People are on anything from 25 mgs to 800 mgs.
Ask your doctor.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#5 larkspur

larkspur

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired

• Pip
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

In my experience, Seroquel XR was very helpful for obsessive and intrusive thoughts. It's worth a shot, and Seroquel XR was very well tolerated for me. After the first week, I had no side effects. At first, I had some drowsiness at night after taking the pill (expected) and in the afternoons (not so expected), but it faded after the first few days. I recommend it as a very low-side effect profile medication with good results for both depression and anxiety (including OCD symptoms).

Current Dx: bipolar ii, predominantly depressed/mixed; obsessive-compulsive disorder; generalized anxiety disorder and social phobia; attention deficit

Current Rx situation: Latuda 80mg, Lexapro 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Adderall 15mg b.i.d. clonidine .1mg b.i.d., Valium 2mg t.i.d.
Non-psych Rx:  levothyroxine 50mcg,  Voltaren gel 1%, Mobic 15mg, Flexeril 10mg q.6h for muscle relaxation
OTC/supplements: women's multivitamin, magnesium 250mg, biotin 1000mcg

Previous Rx's: Restoril (temazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Tegretol (carbamazepine), Pamelor (nortriptyline), Zyprexa (olanzapine), Viibryd (vilazadone), lithium, Topamax (topiramate), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Vistaril (hydroxyzine), Geodon (ziprasidone), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Seroquel XR (quetiapine), dextroamphetamine, Ritalin (methylphenidate), Depakote (divalproex sodium), Abilify (aripiprazole), Remeron (mirtazapine), Celexa (citalopram), Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts), Ativan (lorazepam), Ambien/Intermezzo (zolpidem), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Desyrel (trazodone), Lunesta (eszopiclone)

#6 SpartanForce

SpartanForce

• Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Seroquel has helped my anxiety, thank God.
But when I am upset I still ruminiate like crazy.

Talk to your doctor and try it. And you might need to experiment to find the best dose.
People are on anything from 25 mgs to 800 mgs.
Ask your doctor.

I did ask. He said to me to continue with the Luvox but I can't do it.

#7 albertolobat

albertolobat

• Pip
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

I have never taken Seroquel, but I am currently using Abilify which is another AAP. It is somewhat effective, it helps me stop the more paranoid ruminations. Just to give my input.
Dx: Pure O OCD ("obsessive neurosis").
Rx: Clonazepam 0.5 mg, Aripiprazole 2.5 mg, Paroxetine CR 12.5 mg.
Ex Rx: Risperidone, Fluoxetine, Venlafaxine, Escitalopram, Zolpidem.

#8 SpartanForce

SpartanForce

• Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I have never taken Seroquel, but I am currently using Abilify which is another AAP. It is somewhat effective, it helps me stop the more paranoid ruminations. Just to give my input.

Strange, Abilify with me did help with OCD but made me way more paranoid and anxious. I was on 10mg-15mg for 5 months.

#9 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

opinion -
if Luvox made your mind race and you could not sleep
and your doctor did not think that was significant and he told you to keep taking Luvox
you only took it for three days and your mind is racing? not good

well, I would get a second opinion, talk to a different psychiatrist

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#10 SpartanForce

SpartanForce

• Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

opinion -
if Luvox made your mind race and you could not sleep
and your doctor did not think that was significant and he told you to keep taking Luvox
you only took it for three days and your mind is racing? not good

well, I would get a second opinion, talk to a different psychiatrist

He eventually told me to drop the Luvox.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.