moclobemide

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Conchar928

Conchar928

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Moclobemide, a reversible MAOI, appears to be a rather ideal anti-depressant. It reportedly does not cause much weight gain, may actually increase sexual functioning, and unlike irreversible MAOIs, there aren't major dietary restrictions (with exception given to certain cheeses/other foods that contain unusually high levels of tyramine). It also doesn't seem to negatively effect the heart or cognitive functioning.

Has anyone here been on this and have some personal experience to share?

"I don't understand.  Oh, I understand!"

Current rx:  venlafaxine XR 150mg/day, quetiapine IR 300mg/day, lithium 600mg/day.  Diagnosis unknown

Past rx:  valproate, fluphenazine, chlorpromazine, zolpidem, risperidone, haloperidol, carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, aripiprazole, clonazepam, perphenazine, nortiptyline, amitryptaline, trazodone, loxapine, clozapine, trifluoperazine, lorazepam  WHAT THE F#&@?!?!?!

#2 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8727 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

I haven't taken it, and it apparently is not available in the United States. But I consulted Dr. Google, because I had never heard of it before.

The Wikipedia article is clearly a blow job for the pharma co.

The other things I can find that at least have some scientific underpinnings seemed to think it was of some use, but in a limited number of situations, and not effective for intractable depression. The studies they have done on using it for anxiety have been so mixed they can't draw any conclusions.

There is a slightly more positive, 10 year-old study on Pubmed, but they didn't think it was anything spectacular, except it had a low side effect profile for an MAOI. Apparently you can tolerate a lot more tyramine, but there is a limit (something which the Wikipedia article flat out lied about). Also, there is a short wash out period, although it varies according to class of AD.

Sorry if you knew all this. I learned something, at any rate.

ETA: They accidentally found out it helps control hot flashes in menopausal women!

Edited by crtclms, 02 December 2012 - 07:01 PM.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#3 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

I've taken moclobemide, which is sold as Aurorix here. I didn't find it helpful for depression at all. In fact, I think it helped push me into a mixed state, but back when I was taking it, I was diagnosed as MDD so I wasn't aware of what was happening at the time. The doctor prescribing it to me was a GP who was similarly clueless.

Later, I remember talking to my first pdoc about Aurorix and he was surprised I was prescribed it. He was of the opinion that it wasn't an effective medication.

#4 Not me

Not me

Who am I? That's one secret I'll never tell. You know you love me. x o x o

• Chat Inmate
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

I tried it, It helped my depression however it also gave me endless migraines. The migraines stopped the week I ceased it.

sigmark2.gif
Current Meds: Unicorns.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.