Curious about Gedeon or Abilify

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jadienne

Jadienne

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

So I fired my whackadoo shrink and started seeing my old one. Weight gain is still an issue to me and now I've noticed I've begun to have symptoms of akathisia. However, one positive about the restlessness is that I am able to get up and go and do what I need to do even if I am feeling crappy. But, sometimes I just wish that I can turn it off. Antipsychotics have saved my life and I can deal with some of the side affects but the weight gain is really bugging me and I heard that both Abilify and Geodeon have less side affects. My therapist suggested Geodeon for weight loss and I am curious to know if this is true. Thoughts anyone?

Dxed: Major Depression, PTSD, Bipolar NOS, Social Phobia/Anxiety, PCOS, Migraines, mild ADD, and OCDish tendencies.

Poisons: Deplin 7.5mg, Topamax 100mg, Seroquel XR 600mg, Prozac 20mg, Baclofen 20mg, Wellbutrin SR 300mg, Ibuprofen 800mg, Concerta ER 36mg, Metformin 1000mg, Tegretol 800mg, Ativan 3mg

Non-Rx: Multivitamin, Zinc, Omega 3s, Vitamin C

Alternative treatments: DBT therapy and skills, self-soothing and distraction, social exposure (intermittent), exercise, reading. healthy diet, my cats and dogs.

Abandoned: Paxil, Depakote, Effexor XR, Cymbalta, prescribed supplements (Stay Calm and Serotone), Buspar, Xanax, Valium, Lamictal, Vistaril, Tenuate, Phentermine, Phendimetrazine, Trileptal, Flexeril, Celexa

#2 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 22558 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

I am on abilify, and have had no weight gain from it. From what I remember from being on Geodon, I didn't have any weight gain with that either.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran,propranolol.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#3 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

I actually lost weight while on ziprasidone. My biggest problem was the random sedation and insomnia. It was really odd and disruptive.

Abilify is notorious for akathesia (I got it too with it), so you might want to keep that in mind.

#4 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2431 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

if all else fails akathesia is very treatable.

#5 konings

konings

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

Abilify is better for getting stuff done though.

#6 frankieG

frankieG

mentaliiU

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

I take Abilify now at 5mg. It's pretty effective for managing the psychotic features part of BP. However, I was upped to 10mg during a recent hospitalization, and the side effects were really bad. Fever, muscle aches, high blood sugar (which meant cravings for sweets and a lot of drinking and peeing). But, that's just me. Every medicine affects every person differently. Keep this in mind, and just keep your pdoc updated on how you feel if it's any different from before.

Current Dx: Moderate autistic spectrum disorder, GAD, OCD, depression

Current Rx: Escitalopram(Lexapro) 20mg, Apriprazole(abilify) 5mg

Always happy to help when it comes to ASD. Happy posting! :)

#7 SpartanForce

SpartanForce

• Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

I take Abilify now at 5mg. It's pretty effective for managing the psychotic features part of BP. However, I was upped to 10mg during a recent hospitalization, and the side effects were really bad. Fever, muscle aches, high blood sugar (which meant cravings for sweets and a lot of drinking and peeing). But, that's just me. Every medicine affects every person differently. Keep this in mind, and just keep your pdoc updated on how you feel if it's any different from before.

Strange. I'm at 15mg and only have the akathisia part. I take Artane for that.

Diagnosis: PTSD, Depression, Schizoid PD, OCD and Anxiety.
Meds: Aristab 10mg (2x), Assert 50mg AM, Luvox 50mg (2x), Lorax 1mg (2x), Artane 5mg (2x), Atenolol 50mg (2x), Losartan 50mg (2x), Glifage XR 2g PM.

#8 Parapluie

Parapluie

Cactus Grenade Girl

• Inmate
  • 2155 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

I take 15mg of Abilify and I had akathisia at first (when on 5mg, then 10mg) but it went away in two weeks. No weight gain so far, other than some weight from starting school and sitting on my ass all day. Abilify is my wonder drug.

My diagnoses and medication info can be found on my profile.

#9 jarn

jarn

• Pip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

I lost weight on Abilify. Gained weight on Geodon but I put that down more to me trying to eat to stay awake as the second time I was on it I was so sedated it was ridiculous.

Current meds: Saphris 25mg, Latuda 80mg, Lamotrigine 250mg, Pristiq 100mg, Ativan 1mg

#10 Conchar928

Conchar928

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

I used to take Abilify, started at 15mg/day and titrated up to 30mg/day with no akathisia at all. No weight gain, either. It actually gave me a decent boost of energy without that zonked out feeling caused by many APs.

"I don't understand.  Oh, I understand!"

Current rx:  venlafaxine XR 150mg/day, quetiapine IR 300mg/day, lithium 600mg/day.  Diagnosis unknown

Past rx:  valproate, fluphenazine, chlorpromazine, zolpidem, risperidone, haloperidol, carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, aripiprazole, clonazepam, perphenazine, nortiptyline, amitryptaline, trazodone, loxapine, clozapine, trifluoperazine, lorazepam  WHAT THE F#&@?!?!?!

#11 jt07

jt07

Existing on the very edge of sanity

• Inmate
  • 8466 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Abilify has been a godsend to me. It killed my depression, and now I am as stable as I have been in years. However, I have gained weight on it, but to be honest, I feel so good on it that I don't really care.

Edit: I never got akathesia at any dose.

Edited by jt07, 09 December 2012 - 10:44 AM.

Dx: Atypical MDD with anxiety, possible ADD, OCD (mostly recovered)
Rx: Citalopram (20 mg), Remeron (45 mg), Abilify (30 mg), Carbamazepine (800 mg), Lamotrigine (200 mg), Ritalin (20 mg AM, 10 mg PM)

горький осадок, но сахара не надо

#12 dancesintherain

dancesintherain

• Pip
  • 734 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

I didn't gain weight on geodon, but hit sedation issues that weren't manageable and had to come off it. My pdoc said they're not typical, but they have happened to others here, like vapourware mentioned above.

I'm on abilify. I haven't yet figured out the weight gain. I ended up getting put on another med for appetite/concentration/low energy issues and that one definitively took away the appetite. But I think it might have been stronger on abilify beforehand. I probably just wasn't on it long enough to tell.

Dx: bipolar I. Some ADD symptoms, some GAD symptoms. Lots of fun.

current RXs are generics of: Ativan (0.5 mg a.m.); WellbutrinXL (300mg a.m.); Abilify (15mgs a.m.); Adderall (20 mg XR and 20 mg IR in morning, 20 mg IR in early afternoon); Seroquel (50-100 mg) as emergency sleep med.

Also synthroid (25 mcg) and allergy drug.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (something nasty); ambien (worked, can't remember why we stopped it); sonata (stopped working); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation); geodon (sedation issues); phentermine (helped with appetite, but not with energy, which is what I really needed it for); zyprexa (was just for sleep, and strangely it wouldn't induce it); lamictal (did wonderful anti-depressant things, stopped in order to see if it was causing lethargy); provigil (insurance denied prior authorization).

#13 dancingteapot

dancingteapot

Somewhere out of a memory

• Pip
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

i had no weight issues on geodon. however, it did randomly sedate me throughout the day.

back to schizoaffective...

meds: clozaril klonopin topamax

other: ECT in 2014 and 2013

#14 MageCorwin

MageCorwin

Just keep swimming

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

I also had some sedation issues with Geodon at the higher levels, but I was eventually able to acclimate to it. It did wonders pulling me out of my last depression.

Dx: Bipolar I
Rx: Lithium 1200mg, Lamictal 175mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, Topamax 50mg, Risperidone 6mg
Old Dx: MDD, BPD
Old Rx: (short list) Depakote, Seroquel, Abilify, Geodon, Haldol, Buspar

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.