• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 926 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

I have been this way my whole life. Dropped out of high school. When ever I try to read the bible my mind drifts into other things like music. The only problem I have is that I have a psychotic disorder and my doc is alittle scared to put me on a stim because he thinks it can flare up my schizoaffective disorder. I know I will be fine. Has anyone here had experience with concerta. I would rather try something that is less potent then adderall and dex....

Diagnosed Drug Induced Psychosis...ADHD.....OCD.....Cannibas Psychotic Disorder..GAD.....Major Depression disorder-recurrent...Severe, Bipolar I....Migraines, Cluster headaches....                                                                                                                                                                                                                              .Gabapentin...600 mg once a day....Effexor XR 75 mg.....Risperdal...4 mg....Zoloft 200 mg...Valporic acid 250 mg... clonazepam 1 mg twice daily. Seroquel 200 mg once at night.....Prilosec 25 mg in the morning......Inderal 60 mg ER one in the morning. Remeron 45 mg once at night. Frovatriptan 2.5 PRN .....Lyrica 75 mg 3x daily....                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      The sun is a round window into the city of gold......Written by Daniel B.

#2 ahalo

ahalo

• Pip
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

I found Concerta to be very subtle compared to Adderall XR and Vyvanse. I prefer methylphenidate over adderall, because it doesn't bother my appetite as much and I don't have problems sleeping at night with it. Good luck!

----0.jpg We don't benefit from ignorance. -Obama, 1/16/13

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. ~Ernest Hemingy, A Farewell To Arms

#3 Mirazh

Mirazh

Magically Fabulous

• Inmate
  • 2033 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

In my experience, stims can be taken safely in conjunction with other meds. But this is highly individual, and your doc would have a much better idea of the risks in your case than any of us would know.

I find Concerta plenty potent, though I do take a large dose.

Stimulant meds, including Concerta, can increase anxiety levels, exacerbate symptoms. From panic and general anxiety to OCD. Psychosis may not be the only risk.

Important Info: Neighbourhood unicorn; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ze / zan / zir

"I refuse to let past bruises cover the light, it ain't all good but it's good enough, so I know I'm alright.  Agony is truth it's our connection to the living, I accept it as perfection and keep on existing in the now.  I can only build if I tear the walls down, even if it breaks me it will never make me frown, I'm falling but no matter how hard I hit the ground, I'll still smile."

rgww.gif

Why Slytherin?

#4 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

I don't have SZA, but I have BP with some psychosis issues, and my pdoc was hesitant to start me on stims. So we started small and moved up slowly.

I can honestly say it's one of the most helpful medications I take.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#5 NEWcastle212

NEWcastle212

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

I have been this way my whole life. Dropped out of high school. When ever I try to read the bible my mind drifts into other things like music. The only problem I have is that I have a psychotic disorder and my doc is alittle scared to put me on a stim because he thinks it can flare up my schizoaffective disorder. I know I will be fine. Has anyone here had experience with concerta. I would rather try something that is less potent then adderall and dex....

I too have a mood disorder and struggle with focus like no other. My doc said I need my mood stabilized first before trying any stimulants. I will suggest concerta. tried 60 mg adderall ir and did absolutely nothing

Current meds: Lamictal 400mg Lithium er 450mg Lexapro 40mg Risperdal 1mg

Bi-polar II, OCD, ADD(inattentive), social anxiety

#6 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 926 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

60 mg's of adderall is like so high. I on ritalin and my doc finally caved in but I only take 5 mg's of ritalin. and I know I probably need it twice a day and I would be fine. IDK why 60 mg's of add isn't doing anything. Thats kinda just IDK?

Edited by sonicwhite, 27 January 2013 - 01:06 PM.

Diagnosed Drug Induced Psychosis...ADHD.....OCD.....Cannibas Psychotic Disorder..GAD.....Major Depression disorder-recurrent...Severe, Bipolar I....Migraines, Cluster headaches....                                                                                                                                                                                                                              .Gabapentin...600 mg once a day....Effexor XR 75 mg.....Risperdal...4 mg....Zoloft 200 mg...Valporic acid 250 mg... clonazepam 1 mg twice daily. Seroquel 200 mg once at night.....Prilosec 25 mg in the morning......Inderal 60 mg ER one in the morning. Remeron 45 mg once at night. Frovatriptan 2.5 PRN .....Lyrica 75 mg 3x daily....                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      The sun is a round window into the city of gold......Written by Daniel B.

#7 Mirazh

Mirazh

Magically Fabulous

• Inmate
  • 2033 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

If my moods are heavily destabilised, if I'm in a mood episode, hell if I haven't had any sleep, my ADHD issues can be seriously magnified and my meds don't work as well if at all. While ADHD can be the source of some mood issues and anxiety - it is for me - it is a wholly different thing from my bipolar mood issues.

Important Info: Neighbourhood unicorn; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ze / zan / zir

"I refuse to let past bruises cover the light, it ain't all good but it's good enough, so I know I'm alright.  Agony is truth it's our connection to the living, I accept it as perfection and keep on existing in the now.  I can only build if I tear the walls down, even if it breaks me it will never make me frown, I'm falling but no matter how hard I hit the ground, I'll still smile."

rgww.gif

Why Slytherin?

#8 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1335 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

60 mg's of adderall is like so high. I on ritalin and my doc finally caved in but I only take 5 mg's of ritalin. and I know I probably need it twice a day and I would be fine. IDK why 60 mg's of add isn't doing anything. Thats kinda just IDK?

Is the Ritalin helping?

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1000mg (0.6mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Ativan 0.5-1mg PRN

#9 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Ya the ritalin is doing a GRT job at me atenttion and depression from not being able to focus.

#10 LordoftheMonkeys

LordoftheMonkeys

Worship me.

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'm schizoaffective and on Ritalin, and it doesn't make me more psychotic.  Stimulants affect everyone differently.  Even if a stimulant does make the schizoaffective symptoms worse, I think the ability to focus is well worth it.  In my experience, ADHD symptoms are much more debilitating than a slight increase in psychotic symptoms.

Current Dx: High-functioning autism, schizoaffective disorder (trying to change this to STPD), bipolar I ultra-rapid cycling, ADHD, temporal lobe epilepsy
Current Rx: Aderall, Risperdal, Geodon
Past Rx: Prozac, Cylexia, Trileptal, Anafrinil, Cogentin, Seroquel, Lithium, Saphris, Lamictal, Ritalin, Zyprexa
Past Dx: Major depression with psychotic features, psychosis NOS

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#11 vondick

vondick

• Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Really Lordofthemonkeys? I'm asking that with genuine curiosity, not with any assumptions behind it. So what- you just ignore the psychotic stuff??

Really quite very sure I'm on the spectrum. Awaiting report back from assessment.
Recently quit Wellbutrin XL 150, taking Dexedrine spansules when I can afford it.
A little slow with social interaction- if I offend you do not hesitate to let me know, chances are I really didn't mean it.

#12 LordoftheMonkeys

LordoftheMonkeys

Worship me.

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Well, when I don't take Ritalin, I can't engage in anything.  I literally just sit around doing nothing all day.  That's my entire life.  Being psychotic may impair my ability to make friends and not creep people out, but at least I can still perform basic life functions like going to classes, working at a job, getting exercise, maintaining my hygiene, etc.  Maybe my ADHD is just more severe than most other peoples'.

Current Dx: High-functioning autism, schizoaffective disorder (trying to change this to STPD), bipolar I ultra-rapid cycling, ADHD, temporal lobe epilepsy
Current Rx: Aderall, Risperdal, Geodon
Past Rx: Prozac, Cylexia, Trileptal, Anafrinil, Cogentin, Seroquel, Lithium, Saphris, Lamictal, Ritalin, Zyprexa
Past Dx: Major depression with psychotic features, psychosis NOS

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#13 vondick

vondick

• Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

I recently started being treated for ADD symptoms, and I think I'm still trying to break my mind of thinking that it's not that big of a deal, even though since I've started treatment it's sort of turned my life around. Not 180 or anything, but life is a LOT easier. Whereas I don't think I've had any psychotic symptoms, so I'm just curious :)

Edited by vondick, 29 January 2013 - 04:32 PM.

Really quite very sure I'm on the spectrum. Awaiting report back from assessment.
Recently quit Wellbutrin XL 150, taking Dexedrine spansules when I can afford it.
A little slow with social interaction- if I offend you do not hesitate to let me know, chances are I really didn't mean it.

#14 tomcat13

tomcat13

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I'm a hypomanic BP, and 20 mg of Ritalin causes me no problems.   I find my stimulant to be helpful. 

DX: ADD, BP-NOS

#15 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 926 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

I recently started being treated for ADD symptoms, and I think I'm still trying to break my mind of thinking that it's not that big of a deal, even though since I've started treatment it's sort of turned my life around. Not 180 or anything, but life is a LOT easier. Whereas I don't think I've had any psychotic symptoms, so I'm just curious :)

That was my problem....All I would do all day is think of my massive episode I had in 05 and, wondering whether I was going to have it again...I could do nothing during the day. I was so depressed and unmotivated....It was sad.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.