success stories

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ahalo

ahalo

• Pip
  • 587 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

there's often a focus on negative side effects so what I'd like to read in this thread is success stories. what has worked for you? what not only works but has tolerable side effects? I know it's different for everyone but I thought it'd be nice to read some good things.

----0.jpg We don't benefit from ignorance. -Obama, 1/16/13

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. ~Ernest Hemingy, A Farewell To Arms

#2 hagar

hagar

Television version of a person with a broken heart.

• Inmate
  • 8112 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Invega. It has been so good to me. I have no side effects (that I notice), and it keeps me out of the extremes of both ends of BP and keeps my head clear, focused, and free of delusional thinking. I've found that I can't go below 9mg though. Before this, I had tried several other AAPs as well as lamictal, and none worked like Invega. 

"But nobody ever sees how far the things we shouldn't feel can take us. I just want to walk along the shore for an hour, watch the waves rearranging whatever they can. I like the way the sea encourages me to think about the past, as if I could leave it where it is: the moon on the water, the stars that gleam and are gone."

#3 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3192 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

I'm doing pretty well on abilify.  It helped pull me out of a psychotic episode and I don't have side effects that i know of.

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel

It just may be a lunatic you're looking for

Billy Joel

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

#4 MrCrazyPants

MrCrazyPants

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

abilify works great for me, just a little loss of feeling and sluggishness but the psychosis is gone.

#5 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I am doing well on Seroquel. I think my only frustration with it was when I lost the sedation (once I got used to it the sedation was just enough to stop my insomnia). But it has reduced both my psychosis and anxiety quite a lot, to a point where I have my life back. And it has been weight neutral for me. In fact my weight is a lot more stable on it than it ever was off meds / on wrong meds (when I used to constantly fluctuate between underweight and healthy because I couldn't eat).

Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#6 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Abilify is a very effective antidepressant augmenter for me. The only side effect I get is a slight hand tremor, easy to treat with propranonol. I have never had steady hands anyway so I now enjoy having them. Existing meds have given me a fast heart rate so being on propranonol, which slows heart rate, is a win/win in that now I have steady hands and a normal heart rate.

#7 Wonderful.Cheese

Wonderful.Cheese

Cheddar makes everything better!

• Pip
  • 2639 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hmm...well abilify has always worked pretty well for me. It seems to clear out some of the crazies. I have just started latuda as well a few months ago and the jury is still out on that one! haha But I think it must be doing something. I hope so at least!

Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder Type and GAD and OCD and Insomnia (unspecified)

Abilify 30mg, venlafaxine ER 225mg, lunesta 3mg prn, clonazepam 1.5mg, lamotrigine 250mg, seroquel 700mg

#8 MiaB

MiaB

another crazy cat person

• Inmate
  • 3496 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

Seroquel XR turned my life around this year.  I know that sounds dramatic, but in  early Jan 2012 I was a complete wreck, on 1000mg of the IR plus a bunch of other meds, and in desperation my pdoc finally suggested this. Switching to 600mg of the XR stabilised me for the first time in I can't remember how long.  I first realised how dramatic the change had been when my senior manager called me in March and commented on how dramatic the difference was in my performance and functioning compared to what had been happening in 2011 (and she had no idea that there had been a med change).  I had similar comments from close family members.

I still need lithium in my cocktail, and I do have to take an additional 100mg of the IR at bedtime to knock me out, and I do still have to have a benzo on hand for prn use... but to have gone from taking 16+ pills a day and barely holding it together, to having my pdoc say that she considers me one of her most high functioning patients, is a fucking MIRACLE.

eta sorry, I forgot to comment on side effects - I've been fortunate not to have had any negative effects from the seroquel XR.

Edited by miab, 31 December 2012 - 10:49 AM.

BP1 (with psychosis), migraines

Daily meds:  Etomine 80mg, Fluanxol 1mg, Lamotrigine 400mg, Lithium 500mg, Loprazolam 4mg, Seroquel XR 600mg, Seroquel IR 125mg
PRN meds:   Diazepam 5-10mg, Maxalt 10mg
Ex meds:     Alprazolam SR, Amitriptyline, Ativan, Clozapine, Diazepam, Effexor XR, Ritalin, Solian, Tegretol, Thorazine, Trileptal, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Zolpidem, Zopiclone, Zyprexa

I am not a healthcare professional of any kind.  Always consult your care provider.

Paragraph breaks are your friend.  Extra large fonts are not.  And posting in free verse is just annoying.

#9 discomposed

discomposed

• Pip
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

risperidone (Risperdal): It did wonders for my anxiety and I wasn't hit by any real side effects. The only reason I'm not taking it now is because a doctor at the hospital decided to try ripping me off both this and my AD and replacing it with Abilify. That didn't work, but hospitals don't like to move backwards, so...

aripiprazole (Abilify): Despite what I said above, Abilify did eventually work, just not the way the hospital pdoc had intended. Once they got me up to 15mg they re-added my antidepressant and the one-two punch worked too well! I was zippy the squirrel, cleaning the house multiple times over because I couldn't sit down. As my pdoc started bringing it down though, that resolved itself and at 2mg it worked nicely as an augmenter to my antidepressant without any side effects.

Dx: Bipolar I, Anxiety Disorder NOS, "disordered eating"
Rx: 250mg divalproex, 10mg escitalopram
Past Rx: aripiprazole, bupropion, citalopram, divalproex, escitalopram, fluoxetine, lorazepam, olanzapine, quetiapine, risperidone, sertraline, trazodone, venlafaxine

#10 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

I've been on risperdal for two years and its very effective at eliminating hallucinations and my mania. It killed my period (although my OB/GYN says that the IUD did that) and doesn't work so hot on mixed episodes (that's what the depakote is for) I really like risperdal and don't want to give it up unless absolutely necessary.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#11 Pamito

Pamito

Happy on my meds :)

• Pip
  • 324 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Seroquel is the greatest thing to ever happen to me. I've been on it 12 years and it has taken my life from excruciating to pleasant.

DX'd Schizoaffective

Taking Seroquel 1000mg, Remeron, and Effexor. 

#12 konings

konings

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Risperidone has helped my anhedonia in different ways by something between very notable and amazing. Ive had side effects too though.

#13 koali777

koali777

• Pip
  • 1061 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Obviously I am on a cocktail so my antidepressants and stimulants listed in my signature help overall, but if we are just talking antipsychotics then Latuda all the way. No other antipsychotic has ever worked so well. It hardly has any side effects, no weight gain, I can still think on it, and I am not psychotic anymore.

#14 Jaxson Dallas

Jaxson Dallas

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Currently I'm pleasantly surprised and relieved to be taking Saphris. I had serious doubts about it and it's one of the worst tasting substances on earth, but it works for me and I'm grateful. The delusional irrational thinking is GONE. Such a relief.

I just want to be okay... :excl:

dx: Bipolar I, Panic/Anxiety disorder, Agoraphobia, PTSD. Also a lot of physical problems, blah blah blah...

Current meds: Zoloft, Saphris, Clonodine, Ambien, Trazodone, Seroquel, Vistaril (for anxiety...?), other non-psychotropic meds

#15 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Latuda is the best AAP I have EVER taken.... complete clarity and feel all my emotions but more insight, better thinking, slightly MORE energy and better mood if anything and yes, it has no SEs for me at all, esp. no weight gain which I love....  Anna

BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#16 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 19678 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

Abilify saved me.  Brought the hallucinations down to a minimum.  Provigil and naltrexone really help me also.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran, Iron.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#17 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

I have taken many antipsychotics and I found Zyprexa to be the best one. It stops my delusions and works very quickly. The only problem is the weight gain so I take it  PRN. I have to be extra careful with my symptoms because I have to remember to take it when my symptoms start to worsen. 

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.