Photo
- - - - -

When should I be taking my Lithium for best results?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 peachy

peachy

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

I am taking 1200 mg Lithobid ER on the following schedule.

300 mg AM

900 mg PM

I am also having ongoing mild diarrhea, nausea, tremor, nystagmus, jello for brains (everything bounces off or slides down the sides) and a colander is doing duty as my memory.

Most of my meds I am taking at night. The only other things I am taking in the morning are Levobid (30 minutes before anything else) and 20 m g Propanalol.

My blood level at 1200 mg was 0.9 in case that is useful info.

I am continuing to have breakthrough hypomanic symptoms following a recent phosp for severe Mixed Mood w/mild psychosis.

I am meeting with my pdoc tomorrow to go over my current treatment plan.

I don't understand the way Lithium is processed by the body but I was wondering if I might have better results if I spread the dose out a different way.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience to share?

Edited by peachy, 02 January 2013 - 03:16 PM.

Bipolar I, Restless Legs Syndrome, Hypothyroid

Meds: Lithium 1200 mg, Lamictal 400 mg, Topamax 25 mg, Mirapex 1 mg, Deplin 7.5 mg, Propanalol 30 mg, Levothyorine .75 mg

Daily MultiVitamin

#2 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8757 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

No one really knows how Lithium works. There has been a little progress just in the last couple of years, but they still really don't know.

You are on extended release, so doesn't that affect the timing some what? Does the package insert give any information on the rate of absorption, or something like that?

I'm not on extended release, and my pdoc told me that normally, I could take all my lithium at bedtime, but because I have kidney damage, we spread it out. Sometimes when I forget the AM, I take it all at night.

Maybe I am wrong about this, but I believe that .9 is not prohibitively high. However, I also think that not every pdoc is willing to push it higher, even though the therapeutic range goes up to 1.1 (maybe 1.2?).

Have you discussed your side-effects and symptoms with your pdoc? What other meds are you on?

There is a forum down below on medications, and the first one is mood stabilizers, and you might get more feedback there. People other than those with bipolar use lithium, so you have a larger audience.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#3 Misty Grace

Misty Grace

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

My doctor prescribed that I take my Lithium at bedtime.  Mine is not extended release.

#4 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Briefly entertaining the possible outcomes of awkward moments...

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 4373 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

When did you start taking the lithium?

That might be an important factor in determining whether these side effects will continue.

Starting slowly with lithium tends to help start up effects, and the side effects may just "go away" with time.

Be certain you are well hydrated.

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

#5 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4566 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

I take my Lithium in the evening, once every 24 hours.  My doctor thinks that is easier

on the kidneys, so there seem to be differences of opinion.

I love Lithium myself, but it does not suit everyone.  You seem to be having some pretty bad

side effects and still have symptoms.  Maybe your doctor could review some other options for you.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#6 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

I took lithium for four years and took it all at night. I had blood tests done when I took it all at night and when I split it up and the serum level was comparable.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#7 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8757 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

ER doesn't stand for Extended Release? There is an extended release lithobid.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#8 peachy

peachy

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm doing as crtclms suggested and asking for more help down in the medications forum. For some reason I didn't see that when I decided to post in Bipolar.

Bipolar I, Restless Legs Syndrome, Hypothyroid

Meds: Lithium 1200 mg, Lamictal 400 mg, Topamax 25 mg, Mirapex 1 mg, Deplin 7.5 mg, Propanalol 30 mg, Levothyorine .75 mg

Daily MultiVitamin

#9 Conchar928

Conchar928

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

as far as theraputic benefit, i noticed that ER taken all at bedtime seemed no different than taking IR 3x daily.

as others have said some doctors prefer one dose because it's apparently better for the kidneys.

i had more of a tremor on the ER once daily but worse problems with constant urination and mental fog when i took it in divided doses.

theraputic though like i said i didn't notice a huge difference

"I don't understand.  Oh, I understand!"

Current rx:  venlafaxine XR 150mg/day, quetiapine IR 300mg/day, lithium 600mg/day.  Diagnosis unknown

Past rx:  valproate, fluphenazine, chlorpromazine, zolpidem, risperidone, haloperidol, carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, aripiprazole, clonazepam, perphenazine, nortiptyline, amitryptaline, trazodone, loxapine, clozapine, trifluoperazine, lorazepam  WHAT THE F#&@?!?!?!

#10 laursmd

laursmd

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Are you making sure you are staying hydrated? Dehydration can cause Lithium toxicity. Quickly.
Current dx: who the f knows? I've been given BPII and MDD with Persistent Depressive D/O, PTSD, possible OCD, essential hypertension, RLS, seasonal allergies from Hell and asthma
Current rx: Lamical 150 mgs, Brintellix 10 mg, Remeron 15 mg, Requip 0.5 mg, Klonopin 0.25g qAM, 0.5 qHS, a bunch of blood pressure and allergy meds, Calcium 1000 mg, prenatal Vit for the folate, Magnesium 400 mg, Vit D 2000 iu, Omega 3,6,9
Past rx: Prozac, Wellbutrin XL, Effexor XR, Lexapro, Paxil CR, Abilify, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Ambien CR

#11 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

Struggle is the price you pay

• Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

I am taking 1200 mg Lithobid ER on the following schedule.

300 mg AM

900 mg PM

I am also having ongoing mild diarrhea, nausea, tremor, nystagmus, jello for brains (everything bounces off or slides down the sides) and a colander is doing duty as my memory.

Most of my meds I am taking at night. The only other things I am taking in the morning are Levobid (30 minutes before anything else) and 20 m g Propanalol.

My blood level at 1200 mg was 0.9 in case that is useful info.

I am continuing to have breakthrough hypomanic symptoms following a recent phosp for severe Mixed Mood w/mild psychosis.

I am meeting with my pdoc tomorrow to go over my current treatment plan.

I don't understand the way Lithium is processed by the body but I was wondering if I might have better results if I spread the dose out a different way.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience to share?

When I was on 1200mg of Lithobid I was told to split it up 600mg AM and 600mg PM. My Li levels ended up being 1.1 wich is pretty close to the opper limit of 1.2, anymore than that and you risk toxisity. A Li level of .9 isnt bad, .6 is the lowest level pdocs want to see and for it to start to work. Also, you may need to be on another mood stabalizer as well, I am on Lamicatal and Lithium. But not everyone needs that, it up to your pdoc to determine that.

As for your side effects, hand tremmors are most likely to happen and dont go away and they can be bad or mild just depends. There are meds you can take for the tremmors like Cogentin, and I think the Inderal( propranalol) helps too, dont remember for sure. Definately discuss your symptoms, and site effects with your pdoc thats very important that he/she knows every thing you are experiencing so that they can adjust or change a med. Just be honest with you pdoc and hopefully they can help you feel better. Good luck.

Diagnosis: Bipolar 1, GAD, ADD

Current meds: Lamictal 400mg 1x daily, Lithium ER 900mg,Adderall XR 30mg 2x daily, Klonopin 2mg 2x daily, Vistaril 25mg 4x daily, Geodon 60mg at bedtime, Saphris 10mg at bedtime, Viibryd 40mg, Procardia XL 30mg( for HBP), Asprin 81mg, Zyrtec 10mg x1 daily,

Previous: Abilify 15mg, Zoloft 50mg, Lexapro 10mg, Zyprexa, Seroquel plain and XR, Trazadone,Vyvanse , Neurontin 100mg, Strattera, Geodon 120mg &160mg, Adderall 30mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mgmg, Geodon 80mg, Paxil, Risperdal, Buspar

#12 pinkiemarie

pinkiemarie

Master Ruminant

• Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

I take mine 600 mg morning and 600 mg night.  I had horrible symptoms like you're discribing for about a year and then everything went away except the drinking and peeing.  My memory isn't as sharp as it used to be either, but it's the price you pay.

Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” - Charles Bukowski

DX: Bipolar II with psychotic tendencies, multiple anxiety disorders, PMDD.

Meds: Lithium 1200mg, Klonopin .5 mg PRN, progestin only birth control pills.

#13 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4268 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

I took it all at night.  Somewhere between 1350 mg and 1800 mg depending upon the season.  Lithium ER is the only type I can tolerate.  The pills.  Regular old Li (in the capsules) messes up my stomach badly.  Not so much nausea as pain in my stomach.  Can't tell you how many times I've tried it over the years.  I keep going back to the ER tablets. 

The thing is, do it however you need to, to remain compliant.  The only way I can ever reliably take any med is to take it at night.  I'm on Adderall. Unfortunately, I can't take it at night.  Taking it in the morning is hit-or-miss for me.  If I don't remember it before noon then i don't take it.  Mostly, it doesn't get taken.

I guess this is my long winded way of saying to take it every day. From what my pdoc has said, and from my own experience, the time of day does not matter.  What matters is taking it each and every day.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.