• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

Struggle is the price you pay

• Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

So I have been in this treatment program since September and every time I see my pdoc my meds change or there is a dosage change.  I am getting sick of this crap.  I know I am unstable but my god cant there be something that works?  I feel like a science experament.  Sorry end rant.

Diagnosis: Bipolar 1, GAD, ADD
twice daily
Current meds: Lamictal 400mg 1x daily, Lithium ER 900mg ,,Adderall XR 30mg 2x daily, Klonopin 2mg 2x daily, Vistaril  50mg , Geodon 60mg at bedtime, Lexapro 10mg at bedtime, Procardia XL 30mg( for HBP), Asprin 81mg, Zyrtec 10mg x1 daily,

Previous: Abilify 15mg, Zoloft 50mg, Lexapro 10mg, Zyprexa, Seroquel plain and XR, Trazadone,Vyvanse , Neurontin 100mg, Strattera, Geodon 120mg &160mg, Adderall 30mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mgmg, Geodon 80mg, Paxil, Risperdal, Buspar

#2 lifequake

lifequake

• Pip
  • 745 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

I hear you.  It makes life very difficult to be constantly changing meds.  Stick with it.  If you have a good pdoc, then you'll find more stability.  I hope you can continue to roll with the punches.  It takes patience and strength to ride the med-go-round, I know. 

Dx: MDD, GAD, PMDD, bulimia
Rx: Viibryd (40 mg); Cytomel (25 mcg); Vyvanse (20 mg)

"What is to give light must endure burning." (Viktor E. Frankl)

#3 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

• Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

I hear you.  It makes life very difficult to be constantly changing meds.  Stick with it.  If you have a good pdoc, then you'll find more stability.  I hope you can continue to roll with the punches.  It takes patience and strength to ridet the med-go-round, I know. 

I dont know how great she is, she was just assigned to me and first visit hse told me point blank that I was going to be difficult to treat based on the past and most recent ways my bipolar has come out to play.

twice daily
Current meds: Lamictal 400mg 1x daily, Lithium ER 900mg ,,Adderall XR 30mg 2x daily, Klonopin 2mg 2x daily, Vistaril  50mg , Geodon 60mg at bedtime, Lexapro 10mg at bedtime, Procardia XL 30mg( for HBP), Asprin 81mg, Zyrtec 10mg x1 daily,

Previous: Abilify 15mg, Zoloft 50mg, Lexapro 10mg, Zyprexa, Seroquel plain and XR, Trazadone,Vyvanse , Neurontin 100mg, Strattera, Geodon 120mg &160mg, Adderall 30mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mgmg, Geodon 80mg, Paxil, Risperdal, Buspar

#4 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

Are you giving the meds 6-8 weeks to work before changing or increasing dosage?  I would stick with the tried and true- lithium, depakote, plus AD and AP.  MOO.

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#5 Wonderful.Cheese

Wonderful.Cheese

Cheddar makes everything better!

• Pip
  • 2655 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:16 AM

Are you giving the meds 6-8 weeks to work before changing or increasing dosage?  I would stick with the tried and true- lithium, depakote, plus AD and AP.  MOO.

I second this.
Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder Type and GAD and OCD and Insomnia (unspecified)

Abilify 30mg, venlafaxine ER 225mg, lunesta 3mg prn, clonazepam 1.5mg, lamotrigine 250mg, seroquel 700mg

#6 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

• Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

She doesnt givve them a chance, I have no control really over what she might do.  Usually its ok stop this and start this other drug.  So she doesntnt give it any time to sink in I guess.  I am already on Lithobid, but I was on 1200mg when I got here ans my level was 1.1 when she saw that she  instantly knocked me down to 900mg because 1.1 made her uncomfortable.  I wish I could just shake her sometimes.........

twice daily

#7 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2158 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I don't know if you know this your_illusion97, but a lithium level of 1.1 is on the borderline of going toxic.  I think that's the reason why she was concerned. She didn't want your level to be toxic and develop other problems as a result.

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Propranolol 10mg TID + Centrum + Fish Oil

#8 Indigo 'n dye

Indigo 'n dye

• Pip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

It seems that, right now, you have two choices. You can remain in the treatment/city that/where you campaigned long and hard for and ask the hard questions and demand the harder answers, or you can retreat to where you were a few months ago. You indicated then that you were moribund and needed more. Now you have more and you are still moribund.

What do you think, feel, and believe can be done to help you move forward?

#9 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

• Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

It seems that, right now, you have two choices. You can remain in the treatment/city that/where you campaigned long and hard for and ask the hard questions and demand the harder answers, or you can retreat to where you were a few months ago. You indicated then that you were moribund and needed more. Now you have more and you are still moribund.

What do you think, feel, and believe can be done to help you move forward?

Well if I return to my previous pNP she has already said she didnt know how to help me anymore and in the shit hole of a town I live in there arent any real good options as far as psych care.  Plus if I was forced to go back there I would be in hell.  At least here I have peace, my own place and the ability to lock my doors so no one will bother me.  I have no idea what moribund means so you will have to enlighten me. But I just feel like a hopeless case, but I am trying to stick it out here for fear of my parents yanking me back to misery.

twice daily

#10 Indigo 'n dye

Indigo 'n dye

• Pip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Moribund, simplistically, means to be in stasis; not growing or changing; without force or vitality.

That, at least as I remember you posts and blogs seems to describe your situation.

Take a look at you solution for increasing your income. Now, please know that I am not making judgments on sex sites or to/for women who hook up web cams and sell themselves to all comers. Each of us has a right to support ourselves in any way we can. HOWEVER, as a woman nearly 3X your age I will say that being selling sex in any manner, even within the supposed anonymous performances on the internet, is not a particularly fecund undertaking for anyone with MI.

If you were my niece I would counsel your strongly against taking that route to money and infamy. If I have ready you posts correctly you have done this in the past. If you can tell me that it was not demeaning and that the money more than made up for the exposure then I am willing to never respond to you in any manner...

#11 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

• Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Moribund, simplistically, means to be in stasis; not growing or changing; without force or vitality.

That, at least as I remember you posts and blogs seems to describe your situation.

Take a look at you solution for increasing your income. Now, please know that I am not making judgments on sex sites or to/for women who hook up web cams and sell themselves to all comers. Each of us has a right to support ourselves in any way we can. HOWEVER, as a woman nearly 3X your age I will say that being selling sex in any manner, even within the supposed anonymous performances on the internet, is not a particularly fecund undertaking for anyone with MI.

If you were my niece I would counsel your strongly against taking that route to money and infamy. If I have ready you posts correctly you have done this in the past. If you can tell me that it was not demeaning and that the money more than made up for the exposure then I am willing to never respond to you in any manner...

Yeah that basically describes what I'm going through, I'm not getting any better thats for sure, in fact now they are testing me because they strongly believe I have BPD, lovely.  I dont understand whats wrong with webcamming or stripping or anything like that.  I cant do what I used to do, Pharmacy tech.  I need something flexable, where I can set my own hours and if I need a day off I dont have to explain to a boss that I'm manic or something.  I am in the process of applying for disability on my case mamagers insistance.  But what the government will give me wont be enough to live on so camming and the like is a good backup, I dont understand the problem? For the record I found stripping to be very liberating.

Edited by your_illusion97, 08 January 2013 - 05:02 PM.

twice daily

#12 dancesintherain

dancesintherain

• Pip
  • 690 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

on your original question...I've had a tweak of some variety (i.e. dosage adjustment, sometimes adding something new) at nearly every appointment, which have been of the 4-6 week variety. That said, they're in small increments and in response to direct symptoms or side effects that I'm reporting. So having constant changes isn't necessarily a bad thing--my pdoc wants me to be asymptomatic and not hindered by side effects if at all possible and we're tweaking for a bit to see if that's possible.

I have had appointments where we've just sat where things were to see if they would change, but they were few.

What sounds different, though, is that I trust my pdoc and his adjustments make sense to me. It seems like that isn't the case for you and, if so, is something worth addressing.

Dx: bipolar I. Some ADD symptoms, some GAD symptoms. Lots of fun.

current RXs re generics of: Ativan (0.5 mg a.m. and  sometimes p.m.); WellbutrinXL (300mg a.m.); Abilify (15mgs a.m.); Adderall (20 mg XR and 20 mg IR in morning, 20 mg IR in early afternoon); Seroquel (25 or 50 mg) as emergency sleep med.

Also synthroid and cytomel (25 mcg each) and allergy drug.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (something nasty); seroquel; ambien; sonata (all worked at different points in time, just changed for different reasons); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation); geodon (sedation issues); phentermine (helped with appetite, but not with energy, which is what I really needed it for); zyprexa (was just for sleep, and strangely it wouldn't induce it); lamictal (did wonderful anti-depressant things, stopped in order to see if it was causing lethargy).

#13 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

• Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

on your original question...I've had a tweak of some variety (i.e. dosage adjustment, sometimes adding something new) at nearly every appointment, which have been of the 4-6 week variety. That said, they're in small increments and in response to direct symptoms or side effects that I'm reporting. So having constant changes isn't necessarily a bad thing--my pdoc wants me to be asymptomatic and not hindered by side effects if at all possible and we're tweaking for a bit to see if that's possible.

I have had appointments where we've just sat where things were to see if they would change, but they were few.

What sounds different, though, is that I trust my pdoc and his adjustments make sense to me. It seems like that isn't the case for you and, if so, is something worth addressing.

Yeah my pdoc isnt really the approchable type personality.  Half the time she doesnt really tell me what she is doing.  No realy discussion on option and stuff or my opinion.  But then she always wants to see me every three weeks, but she is always booked 6 weeks out.......how does that work?

twice daily

#14 dancesintherain

dancesintherain

• Pip
  • 690 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

have you tried to get her to explain something? I know some won't because of time limitations and such things...but anything along the lines of "I respect that you want change X, but can you explain why we're doing it/how it'll benefit me/what the reasoning is?" Some people might not be likely to talk on their own, but will if confronted directly.

Dx: bipolar I. Some ADD symptoms, some GAD symptoms. Lots of fun.

current RXs re generics of: Ativan (0.5 mg a.m. and  sometimes p.m.); WellbutrinXL (300mg a.m.); Abilify (15mgs a.m.); Adderall (20 mg XR and 20 mg IR in morning, 20 mg IR in early afternoon); Seroquel (25 or 50 mg) as emergency sleep med.

Also synthroid and cytomel (25 mcg each) and allergy drug.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (something nasty); seroquel; ambien; sonata (all worked at different points in time, just changed for different reasons); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation); geodon (sedation issues); phentermine (helped with appetite, but not with energy, which is what I really needed it for); zyprexa (was just for sleep, and strangely it wouldn't induce it); lamictal (did wonderful anti-depressant things, stopped in order to see if it was causing lethargy).

#15 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

• Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

have you tried to get her to explain something? I know some won't because of time limitations and such things...but anything along the lines of "I respect that you want change X, but can you explain why we're doing it/how it'll benefit me/what the reasoning is?" Some people might not be likely to talk on their own, but will if confronted directly.

I do try to talk to her and she knows I am more familiar with the drugs than an average patient because I have been a pharmacy tech for the past 4 years and before that on and off since I was 18

twice daily

#16 Indigo 'n dye

Indigo 'n dye

• Pip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

cally describes what I'm going through, I'm not getting any better thats for sure, in fact now they are testing me because they strongly believe I have BPD, lovely.  I dont understand whats wrong with webcamming or stripping or anything like that.  I cant do what I used to do, Pharmacy tech.  I need something flexable, where I can set my own hours and if I need a day off I dont have to explain to a boss that I'm manic or something.  I am in the process of applying for disability on my case mamagers insistance.  But what the government will give me wont be enough to live on so camming and the like is a good backup, I dont understand the problem? For the record I found stripping to be very liberating.

Until you can be open with your parents regarding your "camming" activities that is completely descriptive of what is "wrong with it".

As you have mentioned elsewhere that you are very careful to put all the cameras and toys away when your parents are expected. I do not believe that your liberation is as complete as you would have me to believe.

#17 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

If you are unstable, it is common to have small med tweaks at every pdoc appt. I've been seeing my pdoc every 2-3 weeks for the past couple of months, and he does little tweaks every time. That's what pdocs do... Prescribe meds.

I agree with Andy, 1.1 on lith is borderline toxic and needed to be changed for safety reasons. What are some of the other changes that are being made that you don't like?

You have to realize that inpatient and intensive OP programs move at a much faster progress than when you are on your own. Time and space is money, and their goal is to stabilize you and move you out ASAP. So that's also why the meds are being changed so frequently. One of the times I was IP, the pdoc completely switched four of my meds. All at once. Cold turkey. That was rough, but it worked.

You need to tell your pdoc that you need more discussion about the med changes and the how and whys. You said she knows you are a pharmacy tech. Maybe she figures you know everything about the meds already and you are a very informed consumer and she doesn't need to talk to you about the changes. If you don't communicate your feelings with her, how is she ever going to know how you feel?
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#18 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

• Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

If you are unstable, it is common to have small med tweaks at every pdoc appt. I've been seeing my pdoc every 2-3 weeks for the past couple of months, and he does little tweaks every time. That's what pdocs do... Prescribe meds.

I agree with Andy, 1.1 on lith is borderline toxic and needed to be changed for safety reasons. What are some of the other changes that are being made that you don't like?

You have to realize that inpatient and intensive OP programs move at a much faster progress than when you are on your own. Time and space is money, and their goal is to stabilize you and move you out ASAP. So that's also why the meds are being changed so frequently. One of the times I was IP, the pdoc completely switched four of my meds. All at once. Cold turkey. That was rough, but it worked.

You need to tell your pdoc that you need more discussion about the med changes and the how and whys. You said she knows you are a pharmacy tech. Maybe she figures you know everything about the meds already and you are a very informed consumer and she doesn't need to talk to you about the changes. If you don't communicate your feelings with her, how is she ever going to know how you feel?

Yes I agree I do need to assert myself more with her.  Thanks

twice daily

#19 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

• Pip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

cally describes what I'm going through, I'm not getting any better thats for sure, in fact now they are testing me because they strongly believe I have BPD, lovely.  I dont understand whats wrong with webcamming or stripping or anything like that.  I cant do what I used to do, Pharmacy tech.  I need something flexable, where I can set my own hours and if I need a day off I dont have to explain to a boss that I'm manic or something.  I am in the process of applying for disability on my case mamagers insistance.  But what the government will give me wont be enough to live on so camming and the like is a good backup, I dont understand the problem? For the record I found stripping to be very liberating.

Until you can be open with your parents regarding your "camming" activities that is completely descriptive of what is "wrong with it".

As you have mentioned elsewhere that you are very careful to put all the cameras and toys away when your parents are expected. I do not believe that your liberation is as complete as you would have me to believe.

This post has nothing to do with my original question.  Please keep things on topic.  Thanks.

twice daily

#20 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8910 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

You have no right to try to control what people say to you, or order them around.

It isn't as if we are only familiar with you from this one thread. We know things about you from a variety of threads, and are free to bring them up willy-nilly. That's part of the deal if you post here, or anywhere, for any length of time.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.