• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Crazymusician0704

Crazymusician0704

Fire crazy monster

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Okay, so I recently started Saphris and it makes me have really vivid intense dreams (doesn't bother me), but this morning I ended up waking up while wetting the bed :/
Has anyone else had this happen??

Dx: Atypical Bipolar II, Psychosis, Depression, Anxiety, OCD, ADHD, Anorexia (recovered), Asthma, Hypoglycemia, Chronic Sinusitis (recovered with surgery), Insomnia, Accomodative Esotropia, Asperger's (possibly)

Rx: , Thorazine 10mg (3xday), Ambien 10mg (PM), Ventolin (PRN), Klonopin .5mg (2xday PRN), Wellbutrin 300mg (AM), Lamictal 25mg (2xday) and going up

Past Rx: Zyprexa, Abilify, Celexa, Seroquel XR, Saphris, Cogentin, Geodon, Lexapro, Depakote (getting weaned off!!!! as of 7/14/13, I'm on 250mg 3xday instead of 500mg 3xday), Ativan

"My songs know what you did in the dark, so light em up"

I'm actually doing considerably better than I was a few months ago when I joined here. I came here while I was hallucinating, having some intense delusions, couldn't control my anger (ie tearing the door off of the wall), and would fall flat on my face in a puddle of depression that would last for months. 

I haven't had a manic phase since I went IP in May...I was manic probably a few days/weeks before that. 

I've been depressed but only for short times, been suicidal yeah, but been able to keep busy.

I have a job now, so I'm making something of myself and I'm moving out of my parents house in a few weeks :)

I'd say I went from :wall: to  :D

If anyone needs any help, just let me know, I'm happy to help!

#2 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 4652 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Bed wetting is a thing that happens.

No big deal.

Seriously.

If it persists, good to get it checked out by a doc and maybe make some behavioral alterations (ie not drinking liquids after a certain time of day/evening).

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#3 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3023 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

it does happen to people more than you think, but i know personally it's hella embarassing.

i had to give up seroquel as my sleep med for the same reasons.  crazy dreams/nightmares, and being so soundly asleep that i could not wake up to pee (and on lithium, i need to get up at least three times every night).  for that matter, i could not wake myself from the nightmares.  my husband would have to shake and shake me to stop yelling or screaming in my sleep.

i also had bedwetting problems regularly for a long time due to abuse issues when i was younger.  thankfully it's something i no longer have to live with, except for when i run into a med that knocks me out too hard!

with the seroquel, the solution for me was to change meds.  you may not have to do that - like Wooster said, if it keeps up, tell your pdoc and tdoc.  there are physical and psychological reasons it can happen.

please know that it isn't as shameful as you think.  nobody ever talks about this kind of thing, but there's a myriad of reasons that bedding pads exist.  i've had to sleep over at other's homes (my family mostly), and i had to tell them it might happen.  i thought i was going to die of embarrasment.  they were way less disturbed than i expected and were happy to make accomodations for me.  they were more concerned for my health than having to do extra laundry.

i bet there are a lot of people on this board who struggle, too.  thanks for posting.  i hope you get some good help.

current dx:

BPI/II (depending on whom you ask), DDNOS, ED issues (recovered anorexic), major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), hallucinations.
current rx:

wellbutrin 300 mg, latuda 20 mg, clonazepam 1.5 mg, seroquel 50 mg, synthroid 0.1625 mg, vitamins D3, B12, omega3.  PRNs - seroquel, ibuprofen, tylenol, nicotine, caffeine, chocolate
past rx:

lithium, lamotrigine, prozac, paxil, zoloft, effexor, citalopram, wellbutrin, lyrica, imipramine, nortyrptaline, lorazepam, buspar, mirtazipine, risperdal, remeron, abilify, parnate, zyprexa, zopicolone, l-tryptophan, trazadone, melatonin, omega-3, B6, ECT, more stuff i can't remember

kittybuttxa3.jpg

#4 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4385 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

yeah

with Seroquel I sleep heavy

and have wet the bed

small price to pay for the great effect 'Quel has on my symptoms

there are small, light weight, blue pads called Puppy Pads

that I got at a pet store, and I take a few with me if I travel

laugh if you want

Edited by bpladybug, 08 January 2013 - 05:50 PM.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#5 pawnshopbassist

pawnshopbassist

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

It is embarassing but you're definitely not the only one, and it's not the end of the world. If it's a one-off then it does happen to people every now and then for seemingly no reason, a few years ago I wet the bed one night and still have no idea why but it just happened the once. If it continues then see your doctor, it might be the meds or you might have a urinary tract infection or some other reason. If you're worried then sleep on a towel tonight, it feels a bit odd but it's a bit easier to sort out in the morning. My ex-husband wet the bed regularly, we had a plastic mattress protector thing and if it happened the sheets just got bunged in the washer in the morning, no big deal.

"Don't for one second feel ashamed of those scars on your chest. You're just wearing on the outside what the rest of us wear on the inside."

- Sean MacNamara, Nip/Tuck

Slartibartfast: "Science has done some amazing things, but I'd far rather be happy than right any day."

Arthur: "And are you?"
Slartibartfast: "No. That's where it all falls down, of course."

"This must be Thursday. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."
- Arthur Dent

#6 melissaw72

melissaw72

Pretending I'm a pleasant person all day is exhausting.

• Pip
  • 14835 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

It happens.  Fortunately at the moment I wake up just making it to the bathroom.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin SR, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#7 Energizerhoney

Energizerhoney

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

I know it's embarrassing but it's happened to me before also. I think I must be so knocked out so hard I don't wake up.
So what I've done to control it and what has helped so far (knock on wood), is not drinking anything about 2 hours before bed, make sure that I try to pee right before bed whether I feel like it or not.
Don't be embarrassed, at least not with us here, I think it's more common than we realize cause who wants to tell others that "hey, I wet the bed a lot!"
Bipolar 1, Panic disorder.

Lamictal 400mg
Seroquel 200mg
Klonopin 1mg prn

#8 radicalfeminist

radicalfeminist

sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning & you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way

• Pip
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

If you have chronic "leakage" issues during the night or otherwise that are not helped by behavioural modifications like not drinking before bedtime or not drinking too much in general, doing kegel exercises, etc. there are meds specifically for that. I have an overactive bladder and without the med I take for it I can urinate as often as every five minutes (not exaggerating). It's really distressing and before the med I was afraid to go anywhere where I'd be out of reach of a bathroom or sleep too long because I might wake up and it took me hours to get to bed in the first place. But honestly, I know quite a few people who have some sort of bladder/wetting related issue whether it's urinating when they laugh or cough or not making it to the bathroom or bedwetting. I agree with Energizerhoney - it's a lot more common than you'd think, but no one wants to talk about it because it's embarrassing.

Edited by radicalfeminist, 13 February 2013 - 11:11 PM.

Psych DX: MDD, dysthymia, OCD, GAD, SA, panic disorder, EDNOS.

Meds: Wellbutrin 450 mg, Zoloft 200mg, Quetiapine XR 150mg.

#9 cfranco92

cfranco92

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

Oh I totally have this problem. I wet the bed and I also soil myself when I sleep. My pdoc increased my cogentin and that sort of curbed the bedwetting until I upped my seroquel and then bam I started peeing all over again. I have a really big sleeping pad that goes underneath my fitted bed sheet that absorbs liquid and doesn't spill onto my mattress. But it was pretty pricey (but totally worth it).

I soil myself and THAT is really embarrassing. Its like diarrhea all over the place and I feel so awful awaking up hours later and I am just covered in brown. Ugh. But all hail the sleeping pad--totally absorbs that too.

My fam doctor is a bit concerned cause I am only 20 (and I had this problem for almost 2 years now) and I am just finally getting it under control. Side effects blow.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder (bipolar type), PTSD, anxiety, hemiplegic migraines, asthma, hypothyroidism, tardive dyskinesia
Rx: Ativan 2mg PRN, Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Albuterol Inhalor
Past Rxs: Abilify, Saphris, Risperdal, Geodon, Lamictal, Prozac, Nortriptyline, Paxil, Pamelor, Celexa, Klonopin, Hydroxyzine, Propranolol, Bromocriptine, Zyprexa, Haldol, Invega, Clozaril, Lunesta, Ambien, Navane, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Seroquel, Cogentin, Verapamil, Trazadone, Latuda, Topamax, Synthyroid, Depakote, Zofran

I have been psych med free since 8/17/2013 as directed by my pdoc. 

A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. - John Steinbeck.

#10 Energizerhoney

Energizerhoney

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

DDAVP is a drug used for nocturnal enuresis just fyi. Might be something to consider if it's a real problem.

Edited by Energizerhoney, 12 April 2013 - 01:05 PM.

Lamictal 400mg
Seroquel 200mg
Klonopin 1mg prn

#11 hagar running

hagar running

shantih shantih shantih

• Pip
  • 7390 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

I've pissed my bed a few times in the past, but it was always my own fault for being an idiot and drinking liquor while taking Seroquel. By which I mean, yeah it's not a good feeling, but it happens and you're not alone. 

"But nobody ever sees how far the things we shouldn't feel can take us. I just want to walk along the shore for an hour, watch the waves rearranging whatever they can. I like the way the sea encourages me to think about the past, as if I could leave it where it is: the moon on the water, the stars that gleam and are gone."

#12 exl2398

exl2398

• Pip
  • 1314 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

I have wet the bed twice in the last two years. Its embarassing to the nth degree. I'm sorry ur going thru that. Idk what mine was related to.
Diagnosis: Bipolar type I rapid cycling, PTSD, OCD, intermittant psychosis, general insanity
Past diagnosis: MDD, bipolar type II, schizoaffective disorder (this might have been a more accurate description of what I have, but who knows), depression
Rx: Lamictal 300mg, topomax 100mg, clomipramine (spelling?) 225mg, lithium carbonate, idk the dose.
Past Rx: Symbyax (made me paranoid), Celexa (worthless), Abilify (blurry vision), Geodon (made me paranoid), Wellbutrin (made me rage), Pristiq (worthless), topomax (worthless), emsam (worthless), risperdal (worsened diabetes and made me gain 82lbs, discontinued 10/2011), remeron (worthless POS that made me binge eat at night, discontinued 6/2012)

...In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid...

#13 nicolee

nicolee

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

When I was on Seroquel I wet the bed frequently.  I would wake up with soaking wet underwear and sheets and not able to figure out what happened.  Only after reading other posts here did I realize that it was a possible side effect of medications.  I'm no longer on Seroquel, but I find that I wake up every night around 2:30 - 3:00 and am barely making it to the bathroom.  Nothing to be embarrased about, as you can see from the posts above.  This community is very understanding and sympathetic.

Diagnosis: Bipolar I (recovered borderline personality disorder)

Current Meds: Lamictal, Geodon, Trazodone

#14 Energizerhoney

Energizerhoney

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

Cfranco: that must be tough. The soiling yourself. Is it like the bed wetting, your so knocked out?
They must create a lot of anxiety for you. Too bad there isn't a magic pill for all our problems

Lamictal 400mg
Seroquel 200mg
Klonopin 1mg prn

#15 cfranco92

cfranco92

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

Cfranco: that must be tough. The soiling yourself. Is it like the bed wetting, your so knocked out?
They must create a lot of anxiety for you. Too bad there isn't a magic pill for all our problems

Yeah 

I am totally unconscious the whole time, and I don't feel it on the bed. So I try not to eat anything I have an intolerance to before sleep but that doesn't help.

I don't stay over anyones house anymore

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder (bipolar type), PTSD, anxiety, hemiplegic migraines, asthma, hypothyroidism, tardive dyskinesia
Rx: Ativan 2mg PRN, Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Albuterol Inhalor
Past Rxs: Abilify, Saphris, Risperdal, Geodon, Lamictal, Prozac, Nortriptyline, Paxil, Pamelor, Celexa, Klonopin, Hydroxyzine, Propranolol, Bromocriptine, Zyprexa, Haldol, Invega, Clozaril, Lunesta, Ambien, Navane, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Seroquel, Cogentin, Verapamil, Trazadone, Latuda, Topamax, Synthyroid, Depakote, Zofran

I have been psych med free since 8/17/2013 as directed by my pdoc. 

A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. - John Steinbeck.

#16 Crazymusician0704

Crazymusician0704

Fire crazy monster

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one, it only happened a few times, hasn't happened since this last time though :)

Dx: Atypical Bipolar II, Psychosis, Depression, Anxiety, OCD, ADHD, Anorexia (recovered), Asthma, Hypoglycemia, Chronic Sinusitis (recovered with surgery), Insomnia, Accomodative Esotropia, Asperger's (possibly)

Rx: , Thorazine 10mg (3xday), Ambien 10mg (PM), Ventolin (PRN), Klonopin .5mg (2xday PRN), Wellbutrin 300mg (AM), Lamictal 25mg (2xday) and going up

Past Rx: Zyprexa, Abilify, Celexa, Seroquel XR, Saphris, Cogentin, Geodon, Lexapro, Depakote (getting weaned off!!!! as of 7/14/13, I'm on 250mg 3xday instead of 500mg 3xday), Ativan

"My songs know what you did in the dark, so light em up"

I'm actually doing considerably better than I was a few months ago when I joined here. I came here while I was hallucinating, having some intense delusions, couldn't control my anger (ie tearing the door off of the wall), and would fall flat on my face in a puddle of depression that would last for months. 

I haven't had a manic phase since I went IP in May...I was manic probably a few days/weeks before that. 

I've been depressed but only for short times, been suicidal yeah, but been able to keep busy.

I have a job now, so I'm making something of myself and I'm moving out of my parents house in a few weeks :)

I'd say I went from :wall: to  :D

If anyone needs any help, just let me know, I'm happy to help!

#17 Energizerhoney

Energizerhoney

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

Hmmmm....I was just thinking. Does anyone think it could be related to abuse? The bed wetting? I've been doing a lot of "therapy" and thinking about my abuse this past year and how it's affected me. I know bed wetting, fire starting, etc are signs (usually in children) of abuse. Idk, just a thought.
Probably just due to meds though.

Lamictal 400mg
Seroquel 200mg
Klonopin 1mg prn

#18 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3023 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

for me, yes it was related to abuse.  i wet the bed regularly from around age 7 until some point in my teens (now that i think about it, it stopped when i ran away from home).  as an adult, it came back as i was processing childhood memories.  then thankfully i stopped again.  now it only happens if i'm oversedated when i go to bed and just can't wake up.

i'm sure this isn't true for everyone, but i know i'm also not the only one either, if that makes sense.

current dx:

BPI/II (depending on whom you ask), DDNOS, ED issues (recovered anorexic), major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), hallucinations.
current rx:

wellbutrin 300 mg, latuda 20 mg, clonazepam 1.5 mg, seroquel 50 mg, synthroid 0.1625 mg, vitamins D3, B12, omega3.  PRNs - seroquel, ibuprofen, tylenol, nicotine, caffeine, chocolate
past rx:

lithium, lamotrigine, prozac, paxil, zoloft, effexor, citalopram, wellbutrin, lyrica, imipramine, nortyrptaline, lorazepam, buspar, mirtazipine, risperdal, remeron, abilify, parnate, zyprexa, zopicolone, l-tryptophan, trazadone, melatonin, omega-3, B6, ECT, more stuff i can't remember

kittybuttxa3.jpg

#19 WinterRosie

WinterRosie

Caution: I'm rude and authoritarian

• Admin
  • 3672 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

It is linked to abuse here because some of the younger children have yet to learn to not be so scared to get up. We have a nightlight but they are still scared.

Si nous ne sommes pas pro-nous-autres, nous sommes anti-nous-autres.

A diamond is just a piece of coal that handled stress exceptionally well. Oh well, there's always cubic zirconia. 

Note: Staff are here to think with you, not for you. Keep your thinking caps on. I've never been a doctor, not even in high school drama class, so you'll need to ask your own.

Boards I moderate: confessional, people suck, news/politics, dissociation, trauma + private, substance abuse, eating disorders

#20 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 4652 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

My hunch is that for some people it probably is, but for the majority, probably not.

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.