Tricyclic Antidepressants

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 nikkij0814

nikkij0814

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

I have depression as a result of thyroid hormone problems, and a new doctor recommended that I switch to a tricyclic antidepressant.  I realize that these are older antidepressants, but they are supposed to be more effective for patients with depression secondary to a thyroid problem.  Has anyone on this board been on them?  The doctor has already warned me that often the side effects are worse than that of newer SSRIs.  Anyone on this board experience them?  I realize that everyone will respond differently, but I'm worried about dealing with worse side effects.  FYI I'm currently taking Pristiq (50 mg) and Abilify (5 mg), and had sexual side effects to Citalopram and Lexapro.

#2 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4269 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

I've been off and on amitriptyline for 30 years.  It is the only antidepressant that seems to work for me.  I've tried a bunch and a bunch of different combinations but I keep coming back to amitriptyline because it is the only thing that works.  

The only side effect that I have is dry mouth.  Oh, and urinary retention (which isn't a bad side effect if you ask me).  It also makes me sleepy about an hour after taking it.  I'm currently on 150 mg.  That's a good dose.  Not the highest that I've ever taken but still, a healthy dose.

I hope that a TCA works as well for you as it has for me.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#3 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13024 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

The number one reason why TCAs are no longer used that frequently is because overdoses can be lethal.  This required that anyone who was potentially suicidal be hospitalized when starting the medication and stay there until it took full effect.  Newer antidepressants aren't nearly as lethal but, according to a lot of people, are not nearly as effective either.  

I've been on a couple TCAs and never had had problems with side effects.  My gf has been on desipramine forever and never had a problem with it. 

Really, the worst potential side effect is death in the event of an overdose.  If you're not suicidal, you'll probably be fine.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#4 Sparkle

Sparkle

• Pip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

I'm on Remeron (mirtazapine) which is either a tricyclic or a tetracyclic, depending on where you read.  I have found it really helpful so far, and the main side effects I have had are weight gain (my fault for eating junk food) and sedation, so I take it at night.  

#5 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13024 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

I'm on Remeron (mirtazapine) which is either a tricyclic or a tetracyclic, depending on where you read.  I have found it really helpful so far, and the main side effects I have had are weight gain (my fault for eating junk food) and sedation, so I take it at night.  

It's a tetracyclic.  I've never heard of it being referred to as a tricyclic.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#6 nikkij0814

nikkij0814

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Thanks everyone - this is very reassuring...

#7 TOT

TOT

• Pip
  • 612 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

I'm on Nortryptiline (sp?) i think brand is Pamelor. Or Pamerol. I think i've got it right in my sig. Only one that's done a signifcant amount to help, but still find it lacking - but i've been called "treatment resistant" - i'd definitely recommend trying it.

They used to only give me a couple weeks at a time of it because of the overdose potential.

I did research (was in very dark place) - ODing on that stuff would take a long time and be hell. When they cautioned me about it being lethal it gave me hope (sick, whatever) - but nah.

Just an honest review - TCA can be helpful, yes they can do damage, but if you learn about what it takes and what happens when you OD, you have to be beyond beyond desperate to use those as drug of choice.

#8 larkspur

larkspur

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired

• Pip
  • 629 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

I have been contemplating a switch to a tricyclic since my last hospitalization. It will probably be amitriptyline, which I have had before in baby doses (10-50mg) for IBS. Two birds, one stone. Hopefully.

Current Dx: bipolar ii, predominantly depressed/mixed; obsessive-compulsive disorder; generalized anxiety disorder and social phobia; attention deficit

Current Rx situation: Latuda 80mg, Lexapro 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Adderall 15mg b.i.d. clonidine .1mg b.i.d., Valium 2mg t.i.d.
Non-psych Rx:  levothyroxine 50mcg,  Voltaren gel 1%, Mobic 15mg, Flexeril 10mg q.6h for muscle relaxation
OTC/supplements: women's multivitamin, magnesium 250mg, biotin 1000mcg

Previous Rx's: Restoril (temazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Tegretol (carbamazepine), Pamelor (nortriptyline), Zyprexa (olanzapine), Viibryd (vilazadone), lithium, Topamax (topiramate), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Vistaril (hydroxyzine), Geodon (ziprasidone), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Seroquel XR (quetiapine), dextroamphetamine, Ritalin (methylphenidate), Depakote (divalproex sodium), Abilify (aripiprazole), Remeron (mirtazapine), Celexa (citalopram), Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts), Ativan (lorazepam), Ambien/Intermezzo (zolpidem), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Desyrel (trazodone), Lunesta (eszopiclone)

#9 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

I took Elavil twenty years ago for head injury migraines (long before my BPD dx) and it was fine.   In hindsight the effects were typical for any psych med, sleepiness,  a bit dopey, which fades with time, mucus membrane dryness, and initially some difficulty sensing when my bladder was full. 

I would take it again for anything my doctor recommended.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#10 jt07

jt07

Existing on the very edge of sanity

• Inmate
  • 7481 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

The first antidepressant I took was amitriptyline. It didn't help me and left me feeling like a zombie. Then my doctor tried me on other tricyclics, but they all made me feel spacey and sedated. I just can't handle them. My aunt takes amitriptyline, and it really helps her. I must be too sensitive to them or something. A small dose (50 mg) of amitriptyline taken at 11:00 pm is enough to cause me to sleep until 2:00 pm the next day and still wake up like a zombie. This sedation never went away for me, but the worst was the spacey, other worldly feeling.

In contrast, I take Remeron, a tetracyclic. The sedation did go away for this med, and I never feel spacey on it. YMMV.

Dx: Atypical MDD with anxiety, possible ADD, OCD (mostly recovered)
Rx: Citalopram (20 mg), Remeron (45 mg), Abilify (30 mg), Carbamazepine (800 mg), Lamotrigine (200 mg), Ritalin (20 mg AM, 10 mg PM)

горький осадок, но сахара не надо

#11 hagar

hagar

Television version of a person with a broken heart.

• Inmate
  • 8112 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

I'm on amitriptyline, a TCA. It's the best antidepressant I've ever tried (and I have tried pretty much all the SSRIs, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, you name it). For me, the sedation has lessened drastically since I first started taking it. It no longer makes me sleepy, but it still works wonders for my depression and seems to have a positive effect on my anxiety as well. I'm on a pretty low dose, though. I would recommend giving it a try if you're looking for a TCA. 

"But nobody ever sees how far the things we shouldn't feel can take us. I just want to walk along the shore for an hour, watch the waves rearranging whatever they can. I like the way the sea encourages me to think about the past, as if I could leave it where it is: the moon on the water, the stars that gleam and are gone."

#12 whatfcknvoices

whatfcknvoices

Former Forensic Patient

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'm on Dothiepine  brand name Dothep  and apart from painful orgasms and fatigue if taken in the morning, its done wonders with my mood. lots more energy and i feel not too bad all things considered. It's still not as good as the efexxor but that sent my BP nuts and uncontrollable. - just take it at night is all i would say if go down a tricyclic route.

Dx: Major Depression Disorder also Anxiety, Social Phobia, Combat PTSD.
Rx Dothiepin
225mg - I used to like sex, now i take Dothep

Dexamphetamine 15mg x 2 - WOOHOOO!! - 0 to 100 in 4.3 seconds !!

Clonazepam 2mg PRN  - Who needs alcohol ??

Xanax 2mg - PRN - Ahhhh ..... who cares
Rohypnol 2mg -
Now i really am the walking dead !!

Propranalol 120mg - Sorry, i don't give a shit.

ECT - Awesome - i'm still alive -  the answer to all my problems, sorry i can't remember my name but it should come back by the 1st Tuesday in November (I Hope)

No, i didn't escape this time.

#13 Catnapper

Catnapper

Living in the South under Baptist Sharia law.

• Pip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

I was on protryptiline/Vivactil for couple of years to bring me out of bad depressive episode.  I kept trying to convince the pdoc that I didn't need it anymore because I didn't like the side effects, but my daily mood chart showed clearly that I did much better with it than without it.  I didn't like the dry mouth and constipation, so I never went anywhere without a bottle of water.  But it definitely worked.

New Improved Diagnosis: Probably BP II (instead of MDD recurrent), or as the pdoc said, "There's clearly some sort of cycle going on." The more I think about it, the more I think he's right. I've started a mood stabilizer and feel better, so I have my fingers crossed I'll stay far away from the abyss.

RX: Generic versions of Lamictal 200 mg, Wellbutrin SR 300 mg, Ambien 10 mg, Gabapentin 900 mg (for hot flashes), lots of vitamins and fish oil tablets.
RX Graveyard: Prozac, Topomax, Zoloft, Vivactil, Adderall, Provigil
DX: Previously DXed with Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Without Psychotic Symptoms; still enjoying Dysthymia and Binge Eating Disorder

"All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental." Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

#14 CatLady82

CatLady82

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

For those on amitriptyline, what dosage did you start out on, how long did it take u to work up dosages and what dosage are you on now? I was just prescribed it for major depression, starting at 25mgs.

#15 hagar

hagar

• Inmate
  • 8112 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

For those on amitriptyline, what dosage did you start out on, how long did it take u to work up dosages and what dosage are you on now? I was just prescribed it for major depression, starting at 25mgs.

CatLady, I've been on amitriptyline since early November 2012. I started on 50mg as I was coming off prozac, which was a disaster for me. I'm now on 150mg. I was on 50mg for about a month, then 100mg for about another month, then my dosage was raised to its current 150mg. I love this medication; being on it has been the first time in years that I haven't been depressed. I noticed a positive effect at 50mg, but it wasn't till I went up to 100mg that I really felt the benefits of it. When I first started taking it I would be fast asleep within an hour, but it no longer puts me to sleep. Which kind of sucks, but I cannot complain because this is still the best I've felt in a very long time. I hope it works for you as well. 25mg is a really low dose but it's a perfectly acceptable starting dosage.

"But nobody ever sees how far the things we shouldn't feel can take us. I just want to walk along the shore for an hour, watch the waves rearranging whatever they can. I like the way the sea encourages me to think about the past, as if I could leave it where it is: the moon on the water, the stars that gleam and are gone."

#16 CatLady82

CatLady82

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the reply. He started me on 25 since I've been very sensitive to meds before. He said if I don't have any bad reactions the first few nights I can go to 50mg then ill be re-evaluated in 2 weeks. I'm hoping for the best, I am sick of this depression! Did u or do u have any side effects?

#17 hagar

hagar

• Inmate
  • 8112 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

I've been lucky in that regard; no side effects that I've noticed. Perhaps the tiniest bit of weight gain (<10lbs), but I don't even know that I can blame that on the amitriptyline. In fact, I had sexual side effects on all my previous ADs but none at all on amitriptyline, which is a great relief. I wish you the best! I know the feeling of being so sick and tired of the depression that feels like it will never end. 

#18 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4269 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

TCAs are anticholinergics so they'll have a pretty standard set of side effects.  The ones that bother me are:

• Dry mouth
  • Urinary retention
  • Constipation

All of these side effects can be dealt with.  Sugar free chewing gum, sugarless mints, drinking plenty of water, and sometimes a little Colace (stool softener) help with the side effects..  

I've taken amitriptyline for a long time.  Way back when I started, I'm pretty sure they titrated my dosage.  Now, after this many years, I know that I need to start at 100mg and go from there.  I've been on anywhere from 100mg to 300mg.  Mainly, I'm on 150mg.  My pdoc gives me 50mg tablets so that I can adjust as needed.  I never go higher without first consulting my pdoc, even if it's just a call to say this is what I'm doing and if you disagree, call me.  Going lower is at my discretion.  

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#19 CatLady82

CatLady82

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Wow. After taking the 25mg of amitriptyline last night, it's the first AD out of about 10 that I've tried that actually let me sleep and didn't make me feel all cracked out/hungover this morning! Before i couldnt even manage to sleep and not feel weird even on the smallest doses of the other ADs ive tried. I'm excited now because this is something I can actually take and give it time to work. Feeling positive!!

#20 Trixx123

Trixx123

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hi, I started taking amitriptyline (my first AD) 10 days ago for headache/migraine prevention. Started at 10mg for 7 days, and have been on 20mg the last three days. I have noticed that it has made my anxiety significantly worst and I wake up every morning with palpitations. I'm just wondering if it is the medication or am I on too low a dose for it to affect my anxiety? Should I just wait it out or ask my doc to prescribe me something for the anxiety?

Dx: GAD, panic attacks, agoraphobic and claustrophobic

Other Dx: Chronic daily headaches with chronic migraines, IBS-D and endometriosis

Rx: Amitriptyline 30mg (need to taper off), Nadolol (need to taper on),  Ativan .5mg PRN and whatever pain meds I have (OTC and prescribed)

Other Rx: Alesse (for the endometriosis)

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.