Only teens? Really?!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 wagmore

wagmore

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

I'm so frustrated. I'm in my mid-twenties and struggling SO MUCH with cutting lately, particularly the past few weeks, although over last summer I realized that I have an addiction to it (when depressed). I try to look up resources and all I come up with is stuff about teens. Is anyone else frustrated at the assumption that this is simply a "young immature" problem??? I'm an adult in all senses...have been on my own since technically three days before I graduated high school even, never depended on a person for anything. Ugh I can't be the only one here...

Anyone else feel like they're in a god damn plinko board???

#2 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Oh God no!  You are not the only one.  Stick around long enough and you will find a lot of people your age or older with the same disorder.  I've been struggling with SI for 25 years!

Dx: Bipolar Disorder I, ADD, BDD
Rx: Lamictal 300mg; Wellbutrin 300mg: Celexa 40mg
FAIL: Lithium; Geodon. Abilify

#3 wagmore

wagmore

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

I feel like it's a 'stupid' problem to be dealing with (attention seeking, ect), even though I "know" it's not. I also know that the addiction isn't going anywhere, only maybe the severity of it.

#4 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

I feel like it's a 'stupid' problem to be dealing with (attention seeking, ect), even though I "know" it's not. I also know that the addiction isn't going anywhere, only maybe the severity of it.

It's a very serious problem.  And I, for one, don't think it's about seeking attention.  Many people who SI will tell you that this is a way that they cope with stress.  Some studies have found that it actually releases dopamine in our systems which can help explain its addictive qualities. 

I have personally quit smoking, drinking, and drugs (both legal and illegal) but I still haven't conquered my SI.

Dx: Bipolar Disorder I, ADD, BDD
Rx: Lamictal 300mg; Wellbutrin 300mg: Celexa 40mg
FAIL: Lithium; Geodon. Abilify

#5 Katamaran

Katamaran

I'm on a boat...or wait, maybe I AM a boat...

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

I understand you completely. I am 22 and still struggle. I started when I was 13 but to this day it haunts me.

Diagnoses: Bipolar I Disorder
Rx: Lamictal 300mg, Abilify 10mg, Lithium 150mg

#6 wagmore

wagmore

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

I know it's a serious problem, as well as a life-long one. I had quit for years and re-started about a year ago off and on. On july 4 last year I thought I had (again) conquered it. I was pacing around the house screaming and punching walls with the effort to not cut, a battle that I won and ultimately lost.

I think right now my problem is that my boyfriend left me last week because of how I've been acting (I'm beginning to believe that I may had PTSD but lack resources to see a doctor) and he was my best friend, lover...my only confidant I have left. There's no words that come to mind other than devastated. I want nothing more than to text him and tell him how much I'm struggling but I feel like texting him saying "I can't stop cutting, I have a 6x8" patch on my leg that is 90% red with scratches, I need your help" is just 100% attention seeking. As much as it is the truth...

I had three days off work, part of which was spent healing and part of which was spent cutting. I know previously when I cut it's usually 1-4 cuts over a few days time and that irritates my leg when I have tight pants on for work. This is going to be insane tomorrow. I can feel it burning just walking around my bedroom with nothing touching it or loose fitting shorts.

#7 wagmore

wagmore

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

I just sent him a text that says I can't stop...now I feel even more weak. If I put down the razor I start eating and I'm already having problems fitting into my pants. When I put down the food (which makes me feel sick anyways because of my lack of appetite) I start to get a panic attack.

I guess the good news here us that I don't want to keep cutting but I'm just as stuck...

#8 Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro

If you want to make sense, what are you looking at me for??

• Pip
  • 510 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

You're not alone, I'm 31 and have had issues with SI for over 10years. I hope that you can find the support you need & start to feel better

Warm Regards

Chiaroscuro

"Visual bruises can be covered with makeup. But down to the core I'm all bruises" Majandra Delfino.
* These are just my personal opinions/ experiences/ things that have worked for me over time, they may or may not work for you, I'm not a medical professional. Seek medical advice before undertaking any exercise, medication, diet, or any major lifestyle changes *
Chiaroscuro: basically put; a juxtaposition of light & dark, commonly used in Art.
Current Dx:
Bipolar I -Rapid Cycling without psychosis-| Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)| Asthma| Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)| Self Dx: ED/ Calorie restriction/ Binging/ Over Eating/ Slight Purging/ Over Exercising /Fasting/ Abuse of laxatives/ Disordered Eating/ Self Injury/Harm.

Previous Dxs:

BPII

Rapid Cycling BPII
Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)

Some traits of some sort of personality disorder (Pdoc never said which PD he felt it was)

Lack of coping mechanisms

Impulse control issues
Current Rx:

Lamictal (Lamotrigine) 100mg AM| Zactin/Lovan/Prozac (fluoxetine) 20mg AM|Valium (Diazepam) 2mg tablets prn|Eutroxsig (levothyroxine as thyroxine sodium) 50mg AM 5 days & 100mg 2 days a week|Symbicort Inhaler 200mcd/6mcg prn|Nexium (esomeprazole) 20mg AM & PM |Zantac (ranitidine) prn|~for Hayfever~ Telfast (Fexofenadine) 180mg AM OR Zyrtec (cetirizine) 10mg AM 
Previous Rx:
Lithium| Seroquel XR & IR (Quetiapine) | Epilim (Sodium Valproate)|Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine)| Effexor XR (Venlafaxine)| Aropax (Paroxetine Hydrochloride)| Cipramil (Citalopram Hydrobromide)

"Think of the solution, not the problem" ~Richard Rahl~ -Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series-

#9 mynameisiforgot

mynameisiforgot

A mental case mess.

• Pip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

As multiple people have said you're definitely not alone when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm 20 and i've been self harming since a very young age.

Schizoaffective Disorder. Bulimia.

1,000mg Lithium. 400mg Seroquel. 20mg Escitalopram. 10mg Valium (PRN)

#10 Necroleon Blownapart

Necroleon Blownapart

Voices told me to have a beer, so I'm still sitting here

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

Oh man, you are so not alone. You're in good company here. It's frustrating and alienating to look for resources for coping and find yourself confronting a stereotype that makes you feel irrelevant or ridiculous. It's kind of the same for guys of any age who SI (though that's getting better I think). It's definitely seen as a teenage girls' problem when the reality is obviously very different. The frustrating thing is that the stereotype cuts both ways. No pun intended. It makes it more difficult for anyone to seek help, otherwise they're pigeonholed. Even professionals do this sometimes.

If it helps, I'm 27 and have been cutting longer than not, as bad as I feel saying that. I was on my own without professional support for years because I had no money and no insurance. It's horribly lonely and scary. But I found therapy at a sliding scale, which helped. I got seen every week for $14 US per appointment. I don't know where you are, but maybe it's worth looking into.

#11 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

I used to cut for a couple of years in my early 20's. It was part of my depression.

Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#12 Mirazh

Mirazh

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons - and make SUPER LEMONS.

• Inmate
  • 2258 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

27, guy, former cutter/still get urges/had a relapse at the start of 2012 but I don't start my 'in remission since' count all over again because of a relapse. So I say I've been in remission for ten years now, with some hiccups and bumps along the way. You're not the only one.

In high school I actually knew more guys with SH issues than girls. Most were cutters. I've met a few other former cutters who are guys too. Stereotypes often have little to do with actual prevalence of something, more to do with who is just more visible and peoples' confirmation bias.

I do get frustrated at these assumptions though, and there's many in the MI field (though it's hardly exclusive to here or even exemplary.) Trauma survivors all underwent sexual abuse. Self harmers are attention-seeking young girls. And how most if not all of the local resources I can find for ADHDers are specifically for kids. Blah.

I did manage to stop without support, medical or otherwise. I just kept trying and trying until it stuck. But it was lonely and scary and awful.

Sliding scale counselling, especially if you can find a community clinic or similar, could potentially be really beneficial. It was for me, not with the cutting but yes with anxiety and me going batshit a year ago. I agree that it'd be worth looking into.

Important Info: Neighbourhood punkicorn and emogoff; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ne / nem / nir / nemself

tumblr_inline_n7dsmwRe2n1rghkw5.png

#13 wagmore

wagmore

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

I just made another thread, but today in the locker room at work I was showing a co-worker the worst of my injuries that I sustained today out of klutziness. It's just above my knee on the back of my right leg, which happens to be the leg I target most when I cut. My pants were up around my thigh to prevent them from rubbing the new wound and the guy says "I saw that" (pointing to the front of my leg). I quickly pulled down my pant leg and mumbled a "yea, I'm not having a good time lately". He alluded to him cutting too and that was the end of the conversation. It's in the back of my mind that he's someone I could eventually talk to a little bit down the road. I drove him home from work and I think he was testing me out a bit as well regarding personal bits of his life. I didn't even think of him being a guy that self harms. That must be frustrating and make it even harder to find people to talk to.

#14 Teacup

Teacup

I'm too damn busy trying to stay alive

• Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

I am a 34yr old female. Its more shameful for me to think of myself as an adult injurer because I feel people expect me to be better adjusted now that I am an adult..or maybe it's just me who expected myself to be well adjusted by now..i think it's both.
Dx: Bipolar II depressive type, Borderline Personality, history of Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia.

Rx: 100mg Lamotrigine, 25mg Seroquel and participating in a fully functioning DBT program.

Past Rx: I've tried LOTS of different meds. And unsuccessful ECT.

#15 Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro

If you want to make sense, what are you looking at me for??

• Pip
  • 510 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

Oh & I've just remembered that Hubby has a close friend who's a guy who also has SI issues, so you're def not alone.

"Visual bruises can be covered with makeup. But down to the core I'm all bruises" Majandra Delfino.
* These are just my personal opinions/ experiences/ things that have worked for me over time, they may or may not work for you, I'm not a medical professional. Seek medical advice before undertaking any exercise, medication, diet, or any major lifestyle changes *
Chiaroscuro: basically put; a juxtaposition of light & dark, commonly used in Art.
Current Dx:
Bipolar I -Rapid Cycling without psychosis-| Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)| Asthma| Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)| Self Dx: ED/ Calorie restriction/ Binging/ Over Eating/ Slight Purging/ Over Exercising /Fasting/ Abuse of laxatives/ Disordered Eating/ Self Injury/Harm.

Previous Dxs:

BPII

Rapid Cycling BPII
Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)

Some traits of some sort of personality disorder (Pdoc never said which PD he felt it was)

Lack of coping mechanisms

Impulse control issues
Current Rx:

Lamictal (Lamotrigine) 100mg AM| Zactin/Lovan/Prozac (fluoxetine) 20mg AM|Valium (Diazepam) 2mg tablets prn|Eutroxsig (levothyroxine as thyroxine sodium) 50mg AM 5 days & 100mg 2 days a week|Symbicort Inhaler 200mcd/6mcg prn|Nexium (esomeprazole) 20mg AM & PM |Zantac (ranitidine) prn|~for Hayfever~ Telfast (Fexofenadine) 180mg AM OR Zyrtec (cetirizine) 10mg AM 
Previous Rx:
Lithium| Seroquel XR & IR (Quetiapine) | Epilim (Sodium Valproate)|Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine)| Effexor XR (Venlafaxine)| Aropax (Paroxetine Hydrochloride)| Cipramil (Citalopram Hydrobromide)

"Think of the solution, not the problem" ~Richard Rahl~ -Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series-

#16 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

I find that a lot of resources target what they see as the main audience. So for SI, the belief is the main audience are teenage girls. It seems that in a lot of cases, teenage girls do SI - but obviously they aren't the only ones. However, because the resources are looking at what they see as the main population, it does exclude people who don't belong in that group. It's a real shame.

I've had issues with SI, on and off. I started when I was in my 20s and I had a big relapse last year. 

#17 SandNWaveS

SandNWaveS

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

You are not alone, trust me! I started self harming when I was 20 years old and I'm now 22 and still struggle with it. It's a serious problem and no way is it "attention seeking". 

Diagnosis: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Cyclothymia, SI, IBS-A
Current medications: Zyprexa 10mg/day.
Past medications: Cymbalta 90mg/day for G.A.D before I was diagnosed with Cyclothymia. 

#18 Crazymusician0704

Crazymusician0704

Fire crazy monster

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

SI can be a problem for anyone, teen females are not the only ones, most of my close male friends have done it too, I'm almost 22 and I've been doing it since 13.

It is not attention seeking

I've started, stopped, started again, stopped again, thought I conquered it again, to starting after 2 1/2 years of not doing it, now half the time I do it to stop the impulse or the game, I do it when I'm bored, mad, sad, when I wanna play a game, I don't know. 

I hope one day I stop, I hope I can encourage others who are less into the addiction to stop while they still can...I'm a nanny and some of my kids are starting to show signs of "future SI'ers" and that scares the hell outta me, it makes me wanna cry, so I have a responsibility as a SI'er to BE THERE AND HELP THEM. and of course I go off on a tangent...

but long story short, it can happen to anyone, any sex, any age, any lifestyle, any anything.

Dx: Atypical Bipolar II, Psychosis, Depression, Anxiety, OCD, ADHD, Anorexia (recovered), Asthma, Hypoglycemia, Chronic Sinusitis (recovered with surgery), Insomnia, Accomodative Esotropia, Asperger's (possibly)

Rx: , Thorazine 10mg (3xday), Ambien 10mg (PM), Ventolin (PRN), Klonopin .5mg (2xday PRN), Wellbutrin 300mg (AM), Lamictal 25mg (2xday) and going up

Past Rx: Zyprexa, Abilify, Celexa, Seroquel XR, Saphris, Cogentin, Geodon, Lexapro, Depakote (getting weaned off!!!! as of 7/14/13, I'm on 250mg 3xday instead of 500mg 3xday), Ativan

"My songs know what you did in the dark, so light em up"

I'm actually doing considerably better than I was a few months ago when I joined here. I came here while I was hallucinating, having some intense delusions, couldn't control my anger (ie tearing the door off of the wall), and would fall flat on my face in a puddle of depression that would last for months. 

I haven't had a manic phase since I went IP in May...I was manic probably a few days/weeks before that. 

I've been depressed but only for short times, been suicidal yeah, but been able to keep busy.

I have a job now, so I'm making something of myself and I'm moving out of my parents house in a few weeks :)

I'd say I went from :wall: to  :D

If anyone needs any help, just let me know, I'm happy to help!

#19 EyeMindBeingGrim

EyeMindBeingGrim

A Person Shaped Hole

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

You're not alone, even if every piece of advice seems like it applies to teenagers. Especially if they are girls. Necroleon's right. If I don't talk about SI, then no one's going to help me get over it. If I do, I'm just doing it because I just want attention. Again, I feel like it's a silly problem I should get over and grow out of, though it is undoubtedly serious.

Case in point: When I was asked by a doctor if I wanted to hurt myself and I said no more than usual (when I was into SI and he didn't know) and he was concerned.

When I have told pdocs about my SI, they just play it down like it doesn't mean anything.

I started in my twenties. I can't help that that was the time when it became an option. I don't want attention but I don't want to be sick any more.

Depressive Disorder NOS, Anxiety (Suggested), Physical Health Problems.

"Hey, let's go play on the mood swings!"

#20 Mim

Mim

Gentleman loser

• Pip
  • 2137 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

I've self-harmed in different forms for a long time, but didn't start "overt" SI like cutting until I was 22 or so. Studies and demographics have a major flaw, especially in socially stigmatized things like MI and self-harm: they depend on who is available to be studied. In our sexist cultural atmosphere, guys are discouraged from coming forward with mental problems. That's why, while the reports of are observed to be higher among females, the reports of successful suicides are higher among males, at least in the US and UK.

The stereotypes annoy me as well because I identify as neither male nor female. Where does that put me? Heh.

"I THINK WE CAN DISPENSE WITH THAT BORING OLD SHIT, DON'T YOU?" Blaine asked.

Dx: Pending new doc assessment
Currently unmedicated

I kept a chain upon my door that would shake the shame of Cain into a blind submission.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.