Photo
- - - - -

Walgreens won't accept my medical assistance?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mimsy

Mimsy

Mew2

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

So, until this year I had both Blue Cross/Blue Shield (under my dad) and medical assistance.  Then my dad changed his insurance, so I just have medical assistance now.  I called Walgreens today to get a prescription refilled, and they said that "it wouldn't run through" as just medical assistance, now that I don't have Blue Cross/Blue Shield.  Then they told me to talk to my case manager about it (I called her, she hasn't called back yet).  I've had problems with this Walgreens before and "not being able to run medical assistance through", which last time turned out to be their mistake.  Both Planned Parenthood and my regular clinic have been able to take my MA alone since the first of the year, so I'm confused as to why this is not the case for Walgreens.  Anyone had any similar experiences?

Dx: Clinical Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety Disorders
Rx : Lamictal 400mg, Seroquel 300mg

#2 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

If you are having problems with Walgreens then you may consider switching pharmacies.  You shouldn't have to be dealing with this.

Dx: Bipolar Disorder I, ADD, BDD
Rx: Lamictal 300mg; Wellbutrin 300mg: Celexa 40mg
FAIL: Lithium; Geodon. Abilify

#3 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Briefly entertaining the possible outcomes of awkward moments...

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 4285 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

I have no idea as to what you are referring when you write "medical assistance"

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

#4 Mimsy

Mimsy

Mew2

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

What my card says is "Minnesota Health Care Programs (MHCP)", but I've always heard it referred to as MA or Medical Assistance.  It's basically free insurance for low-income people.

#5 CrankyMe

CrankyMe

Salty

• Pip
  • 975 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Did you tell Walgreens to run it through your dad's insurance first (to get a rejection since you aren't on it any more) and then try running it through MHCP? It may be that MHCP thinks you still have coverage and is therefore denying the claim. 

You can also call MHCP and find out what the situation is with your account. I know I had a lot of mistakes and misunderstandings when I switched to Medicare and had Part D insurance plus what is called QUIMBY here, which is extra coverage for those with disabilities and/or particularly low incomes. It was a nightmare getting one of them to accept a claim, they all said the others were responsible. It finally got straightened out, but it was very stressful.

Don't you do that sometimes? Play turtle turtle? With your T-shirt?" - Guinea Pig

#6 FlamelessCandle

FlamelessCandle

A candle without a flame sheds no light...

• Pip
  • 1653 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Oh... and to make the terminology even more confusing each state usually has its own "brand" of Medical Assistance/Medicaid. Ours is BadgerCare. The logo was originally a smiling rodent in a white doctors' coat. Or BadgerCare Plus. Or Badger Care CorePlan. PICK YOUR BADGER! California has Medi-Cal. I think Tennessee is Tenn-Care.

Others correct terms are "Title 19 or XIX" for Medicaid (the low income insurance) and "Title 18 or XVIII" for Medicare (elderly and/or disabled) which relate back to sections of original law. A person can be on both Title 19 AND Title 19 if they are : low-income, AND disabled or senior citizen)

Hope this helps a bit.

DX: (1) Major depressive disorder  (2) Anxiety/panic disorder    (3) Substance abuse (opiates) in remission . .  .  six+ years sober

Psych RX:   Lexapro, 20 mg.   

Non-psych RX:  Levothyroxine (for hypothyroidism)  112 mcg daily & Triamterene/Hctz 37.5/25  (diuretic for unexplained swelling in legs) + Potassium supplement 

Prior RX

Klonopin (clonazepam)   (tapered off completely from Feb 2013 - August 2013 after 10 years ... went from 4 mg / day in Jan. 2013 to ZERO by Aug. 2013) 

Suboxone (buprenorphine/naloxone) ended treatment for good January 2013 / ending dose  2mgs/day.

LOTUS

1a094b77-6561-4df2-a113-05fdeddf47f6_zps

#7 Mimsy

Mimsy

Mew2

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

BadgerCare?  Sound like Wisconsin to me!  So, CrankyMe, I think you were right.  I went back to Walgreens today and they said that since Blue Cross/Blue Shield was my primary insurance, they have to run it through that first.  I asked if they could try to do that and get it rejected, but they said it wouldn't work.  They said that usually it's just a quick change my case worker has to do on my file to say that I don't have that insurance anymore.  However, I had called my case worker on Tuesday and she said that I would have to talk to my county's financial office.  I called them, they said that they thought that Walgreens doesn't accept MA.  Went back to Walgreens, they said that wasn't the case.  All I can say is: F**K insurance.  I have to go through all this bullshit because no one wants to put effort into a system that works for poor people.

Now I wait for my case worker to call me back on Wednesday, because apparently the holiday applies to places of work other than mine.

#8 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 5304 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

What a mess.

I hope you get what you need soon!

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#9 Mimsy

Mimsy

Mew2

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

So I did end up getting it figured out, and I was probably a bit hasty in blaming Walgreens.  My case worker had to call a financial worker in my county, who then had to call my old insurance to confirm the date that I stopped being covered under it.  Walgreens was at least nice enough to give me 5 days of meds to last me until this whole mess got cleared up.  So hooray, I get meds again!  The plan was to walk in there and be like "f**k you guys, I'm switching to another pharmacy," but I didn't.  At least I didn't do anything that I'll have to feel guilty about later.

Thanks for your help, guys!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.