Photo
- - - - -

Monkeysphere...?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Briefly entertaining the possible outcomes of awkward moments...

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

What is the monkeysphere?

OK. After reading this, the following came to mind:

*Look at the estimated monkeysphere of the average human being. Now look at how many people are "friends" of yours on facebook. How big is the overlap with "real life" friends?

*I've used the phrase "wandering moral compass" before, and meant it. But what if these people just have an extremely small monkeysphere? Possible?

*Those with ASD have a stronger tendency to see morality as black and white, wrong or right, yes or no... then apply it without discretion to their world, life, surroundings, and peers. Is the concept of the monkeysphere applicable here, in these specific cases where that is true? Do those with ASD who apply a blanket moral code have a bigger monkeysphere? If so, is this because EVERYONE is important... or no one is?

*also: "Monkeysphere"? REALLY!?

[Yes, some people will notice that I have also posted this elsewhere on the intarnets]

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

#2 TOT

TOT

• Pip
  • 612 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Heh. I have never heard of this before. But something inside of me snapped when i saw i had more than 150 friends on FB and immediately cut that number down to about 115. A little higher than i'd like in theory, but doable.

#3 WinglessFaery

WinglessFaery

• Pip
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

Omg that article was pure brillance..
Dx BP I Rapid Cycling, GAD, Social Phobia, Panic Disorder,PCOS

Rx lamictal 300 mg, Busprone 60 mg, Lithium 1000 mg, Vistaril 50 mg ( which doesnt do squat),Metformin 2000 mg

Previous Rx zoloft, prozac, lexapro,seraquel, depakote, xannax, ambien, trazadone, abilify, cymbalta

<p>[color=#40e0d0]Mental Illness is a flaw in chemistry not character.[/color

#4 vondick

vondick

• Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:42 AM

Very very interesting. Thank you for bringing the monkeysphere to my attention Luna.

What is the monkeysphere?

*Those with ASD have a stronger tendency to see morality as black and white, wrong or right, yes or no... then apply it without discretion to their world, life, surroundings, and peers. Is the concept of the monkeysphere applicable here, in these specific cases where that is true? Do those with ASD who apply a blanket moral code have a bigger monkeysphere? If so, is this because EVERYONE is important... or no one is?

This I find very interesting as well. I feel like this is a concept I see in a different light than most of my peers- although I didn't have a word like monkeysphere to put to it. As for your question about if it is because everyone or no one is important I don't have an answer, but it is an interesting question. I guess I haven't added much to the conversation, but it is super interesting. And I DO think those with ASD view it through a bit of a different lens.

Really quite very sure I'm on the spectrum. Awaiting report back from assessment.
Recently quit Wellbutrin XL 150, taking Dexedrine spansules when I can afford it.
A little slow with social interaction- if I offend you do not hesitate to let me know, chances are I really didn't mean it.

#5 vondick

vondick

• Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

I've been thinking about this more. Super interesting, trying to make my friends and family read it hahaha...

I feel that it is almost equally because everyone is important AND no one is important. In our day to day lives as we live it- everyone should be important (although via nature, there will always be people we perceive to be moreso), though in thinking about the bigger perspective, in relation to the earth on a whole, really, no one is important.

Is this just semantics?

Really quite very sure I'm on the spectrum. Awaiting report back from assessment.
Recently quit Wellbutrin XL 150, taking Dexedrine spansules when I can afford it.
A little slow with social interaction- if I offend you do not hesitate to let me know, chances are I really didn't mean it.

#6 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Briefly entertaining the possible outcomes of awkward moments...

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

i get it. i totally do. and it seems an accurate assessment.

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

#7 TOT

TOT

• Pip
  • 612 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

I was hoping this would get much more discussion. I posted the link on my FB - not a single person liked or commented on it. Yes, i did warn them of foul language, so that takes out a dozen readers right there, but still...

#8 vondick

vondick

• Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

Right? I did too, and got nothing but one like. Which in itself is sort of fascinating. How come noone else wants to talk about this? Hahahah

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.