jaw clenching

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 eddie7978

eddie7978

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

has anyone ever experienced this ive been having this symptom for over a month now

#2 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate
  • 2917 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Do you take an ssri? Some are associated with teeth grinding.  Do you clench your jaw when you are anxious?

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.

Horace Walpole

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, including me. 

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#3 Twigged

Twigged

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Yes I had this and it got unbearable when I took certain antidepressants. However, jaw exercises really help.  Here are some near the bottom of this page http://www.chiroprac...-exercises.html  exercise 3 helps me a lot.

#4 eddie7978

eddie7978

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

im not sure i just hope its not something serious

#5 eddie7978

eddie7978

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

like my whole jaw doest feel right even when i unclench it it still feels like i need to clench it like i feel pressure on it all the time

#6 eddie7978

eddie7978

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

and it wont go away

#7 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate
  • 2917 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

maybe you should see a dentist?  Does it make any sounds, like clicking?

Horace Walpole

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#8 eddie7978

eddie7978

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

no i dont clench my jaw but it feels like i always need to

#9 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate
  • 2917 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

It's called bruxism and is associated with some anti-depressants.  I had it with paxil.  Ask your doc about it.  Maybe it will go away when you get accustomed to the med or you may need a change?

http://www.colgate.c...h-Grinding.cvsp

Horace Walpole

#10 eddie7978

eddie7978

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

ok as long aa its stress related

#11 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 7847 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Didn't you just come off one, then go onto a new SSRI very recently? You said this has been going on for a month. I don't think you can blame it on your current (new)  SSRI.

It could be this is a side effect of the old SSRI, and if that is the case, you might want to hang on to your SSRI and discuss it more fully with your pdoc. If the first SSRI was the problem, it could be that that symptom will lessen over the next few weeks.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; CoQ10; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Green Coffee Bean Extract; Lamotrigine; Lithium; Magnesium Chloride; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. PM me if you have any questions

#12 Jen78

Jen78

• Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

I have this problem and have had it since I started taking prozac, its starting to lessen the longer I take the med tho
Dx: Schizoaffective Bipolar type, PTSD

Fanapt 6mg 2x daily
Topamax 200mg 2x daily
Valium 10mg 3x daily
Hydroxyzine 50mg 3x daily
Prozac 20mg 1x daily
welbutrin xl 150mg 1x daily

#13 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

I had this same problem when I started Celexa.  It lessened with time and was gone completely within 3 months.

Dx: Bipolar Disorder I, ADD, BDD
Rx: Lamictal 300mg; Wellbutrin 300mg: Celexa 40mg
FAIL: Lithium; Geodon. Abilify

#14 JadeMultiple

JadeMultiple

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I do that all the time! whenever I catch myself doing it, I chew gum. it relaxes my jaw and prevents me from continuing to clench

Multiple Personality Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Phobia

Taking citalopram and risperidone

#15 Energizerhoney

Energizerhoney

• Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

I had this with Lexapro. I would be clenching without even realizing it.
Bipolar 1, Panic disorder.

Lamictal 400mg
Seroquel 200mg
Klonopin 1mg prn

#16 persongirl

persongirl

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Hello there,

I've had this for years. When I got afraid of hurting my jaw, I starting clenching down on my inner cheeks. My tongue also has a messed up shape from it. I never thought ssri's cause it. Hm, the more you know. If your really afraid of hurting your jaw you could get a mouth guard. I certainly know that my orthodontist didn't like that I clench my teeth. 

Diagnoses: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression. 

Meds: celexa 40mg, welbutrin 150 mg. 

#17 Mim

Mim

The world don't care, and yet it clings to me.

• Pip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

I have TMJ (tempromandibular joint) problems on both sides of my jaw from years of untreated bruxism. It also destroyed my teeth. It can be hereditary or stress related, as well as SSRI related.

See a dentist. Ask for them to prescribe or suggest a bite guard. That will keep you from doing damage to your teeth or jaw.

For pain I do jaw massages, sleep on a supportive pillow, and use temperature therapy. Sometimes I use a bottle full of ice water and roll that on my jaw, neck and shoulders. I also have a tube sock with a couple cups of rice in it. I microwave that and use it for heat therapy. If all else fails I take excedrin for headache.

"I THINK WE CAN DISPENSE WITH THAT BORING OLD SHIT, DON'T YOU?" Blaine asked.

BPII, Schizotypal PD with Schizoid traits, social phobia
lamotrigine, sertraline, olanzapine. Sundry vitamins. Fish oil.

I kept a chain upon my door that would shake the shame of Cain into a blind submission.

#18 San

San

Chaotic Good

• Inmate
  • 2993 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I have arthritis in my jaw, and clench my teeth as well, so I wear a nightguard often. You can get them at most pharmacies for under $30, rather than paying a dentist $300 like I (stupidly) did for mine. It'll save your teeth, which is a bonus.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type

Rx: Piportol Depot (50mg injection, every 2 weeks) Topamax (200mg) Clonazepam (1.5mg) Lexapro (40mg) Ritalin (40mg) Artane (5mg) Melatonin (5mg PRN) Zyban 300mg

Websites:  Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / WobblyPsyche Mood Tracker

#19 Mim

Mim

The world don't care, and yet it clings to me.

• Pip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

I have arthritis in my jaw, and clench my teeth as well, so I wear a nightguard often. You can get them at most pharmacies for under $30, rather than paying a dentist $300 like I (stupidly) did for mine. It'll save your teeth, which is a bonus.

Excellent point. Haha, probably could have saved myself quite a bit of anxiety and money. Oops. Oh well. Night guards are a must, though.

"I THINK WE CAN DISPENSE WITH THAT BORING OLD SHIT, DON'T YOU?" Blaine asked.

BPII, Schizotypal PD with Schizoid traits, social phobia
lamotrigine, sertraline, olanzapine. Sundry vitamins. Fish oil.

I kept a chain upon my door that would shake the shame of Cain into a blind submission.

#20 Genevieve

Genevieve

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

I ended up cracking a tooth in the few weeks I was on pristiq. Hard core teeth clenching with that one.

Dx: C-PTSD, MDD, panic disorder with agoraphobia, generalized anxiety disorder

Rx: Prozac 60 mg, Abilify 2 mg, Amitriptyline 10 mg

PRNs: Clonazepam 0.5 mg 

Previous meds: Paxil, Celexa, Effexor XR (for 7 years), Pristiq, Cymbalta, Ativan, Seroquel XR and IR, Remeron, Trazodone, Wellbutrin, Prazosin

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.