Getting sick and emotions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Derek

Derek

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hey guys, I've caught a few viruses over the last 6 months.  Right now I have a terrible cold.   Both times I noticed 1-2 days before I would get a lot of anxiety.  Then ontop of that, the actual sickness plays with my emotions a lot almost to where I feel like the meds stop working until the virus subsides.  Not always bad, but a lot of anxiety comes back which is my main ailment.

Just kind of thinking outloud, wondering if this is common with anyone else, I'm sure even in the healthiest of people it is, however I can never get enough reaassurance.

Wondering what happens with others who get sick and have mental health issues, share experiences please.  thank you

GAD/Panic Disorder

Current:   Effexor XR 300mgs, Ativan 1mg, Seroquel 50mg

#2 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 19136 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Are you taking meds as prescribed?  Are you under a lot of stress?  For me stress and/or lack of sleep will make me come down with something ie a bad cold.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#3 Derek

Derek

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Are you taking meds as prescribed?  Are you under a lot of stress?  For me stress and/or lack of sleep will make me come down with something ie a bad cold.

Ya meds are on schedule, family got sick, and then I caught it.  No extra stress.

GAD/Panic Disorder

#4 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 5648 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

I definitely notice a small spike in my feelings of "restlessness" before I notice symptoms of a head cold.

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#5 Derek

Derek

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

I definitely notice a small spike in my feelings of "restlessness" before I notice symptoms of a head cold.

Yes restlessness is good description.

One thing that bothers me a lot is fact I'm on meds, I wonder if it's a problem with the meds first before accepting it's just a seasonal virus....

GAD/Panic Disorder

#6 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 19136 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

I currently am sick and remember a few days beforehand I was very irritable and anxious, out of the blue.

Maybe you could talk to your pdoc about your meds for reassurance that it is ok to still be taking them while you have a virus.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#7 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8757 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

My pdoc in Pittsburgh told me that bad cases of the flu could trigger episodes, and prescribed me tamiflu several times.  This is info he told me at appts. like 15 years ago, I have no idea how to source it.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#8 Savannah

Savannah

• Pip
  • 630 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

When I get the flu I end up feeling suicidal. It took me awhile to make the connection.

Bipolar 1 with psychosis

Current meds: geodon 160mg, seroquel 500mg, prolixin 5 mg, lamictal 500mg, zoloft 150mg, trazadone 200mg, rozerem 8mg, Provigil 200mg

#9 SandNWaveS

SandNWaveS

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

I usually get restless, my heart beats fast, I shake and just feel pretty anxious before/during illnesses. I also get angry easily, my thoughts race, and I feel like I am wasting time resting and that I could be getting so much done (My anxiety episodes tend to go hand in hand with my hypomanic episodes, but not always.) 

Edited by SandNWaveS, 03 February 2013 - 01:07 AM.

Diagnosis: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Cyclothymia, SI, IBS-A
Current medications: Zyprexa 10mg/day.
Past medications: Cymbalta 90mg/day for G.A.D before I was diagnosed with Cyclothymia. 

#10 Mirazh

Mirazh

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons - and make SUPER LEMONS.

• Inmate
  • 2258 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

I can get incredibly moody, irritable, despondent, before a bad physical illness - especially anything that hits me with a fever (flu, sinus infection, kidney infection, etc.) It's never clear why it's happening, because I don't get the physical symptoms right away, but once they do hit I figure it out pretty quick. Also I am usually too ill to tell if it's continuing to fuck with my mood.

I haven't yet caught anything bad enough since I started getting treated for my mentalhealth, so no feedback on if the meds help me with this or not.

Important Info: Neighbourhood punkicorn and emogoff; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ne / nem / nir / nemself

tumblr_inline_n7dsmwRe2n1rghkw5.png

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.