• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 WinterRosie

WinterRosie

Staring down the spoils of war

• Admin
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Is this even possible? I'm really tired. I need to go to the store and by more. I'm so tired.

I'm told that there is a non-drowsy version. Is this true?

Si nous ne sommes pas pro-nous-autres, nous sommes anti-nous-autres.

A diamond is just a piece of coal that handled stress exceptionally well. Oh well, there's always cubic zirconia. 

Rx: weekly injections of Standard Knowledge as needed

Note: Staff are here to think with you, not for you. Keep your thinking caps on. I've never been a doctor, not even in high school drama class, so you'll need to ask your own.

Boards I moderate: confessional, people suck, news/politics, dissociation, trauma + private, substance abuse, eating disorders

#2 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

I'm pretty sure there are non-drowsy anti-histamines but I don't know how well they work.  Ask the pharmacist.  They'll know.

Dx: Bipolar Disorder I, ADD, BDD
Rx: Lamictal 300mg; Wellbutrin 300mg: Celexa 40mg
FAIL: Lithium; Geodon. Abilify

#3 Parapluie

Parapluie

Cactus Grenade Girl

• Inmate
  • 2026 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Staying awake on Benadryl is totally possible, at least in Canada. It's active ingredient is psuedoephedrine. Benadryl actually makes me act hypomanic, with a heaping dose of anxiety attacks. 

Edited by Parapluie, 25 January 2013 - 12:32 PM.

Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, ADHD, mathematics disorder
Effexor XR 300mg, Lamictal 200mg, Ritalin SR 20mg, 
propranolol 20 mg PRN

#4 WinterRosie

WinterRosie

• Admin
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Seriously? I use it as a sleeping pill 1/2 the time.

A diamond is just a piece of coal that handled stress exceptionally well. Oh well, there's always cubic zirconia. 

Note: Staff are here to think with you, not for you. Keep your thinking caps on. I've never been a doctor, not even in high school drama class, so you'll need to ask your own.

Boards I moderate: confessional, people suck, news/politics, dissociation, trauma + private, substance abuse, eating disorders

#5 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

Sister Hand Grenade of Enlightened Compassion

• Inmate
  • 2092 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

In the United States I think Benedryl is diphenhydramine, which is ...  yeah, pretty sedating.

I didn't remember seeing 'non-drowsy' Benedryl at the drug store and I'm not seeing a non-drowsy version when I look online, but somene recommended Claritin if that works for you.

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE TIME.

"There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution."

Dx and Psych Rx in profile.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#6 lifequake

lifequake

• Pip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

In my experience, the drowsiness wears off the longer you take Benadryl.  I took it for months for akathisia last year and could stay awake better as time went on (and with caffeine). 

Plain old Benadryl, in the U.S., is diphenhydramine HCl, the same ingredient in Unisom, ZZZQuil, and many other OTC nighttime sleep aids.  Hence, you are likely going to be a bit sleepy on it. 

Maybe look into a different antihistamine, like the one Parapluie suggested.

Dx: MDD, GAD, PMDD, bulimia
Rx: Viibryd (40 mg); Cytomel (25 mcg); Vyvanse (20 mg)

"What is to give light must endure burning." (Viktor E. Frankl)

#7 hagar

hagar

Television version of a person with a broken heart.

• Inmate
  • 8112 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I take Zyrtec (cetirizine) for allergies. I find it to be non-drowsy, and it works just as well as Benadryl ever did for me.

"But nobody ever sees how far the things we shouldn't feel can take us. I just want to walk along the shore for an hour, watch the waves rearranging whatever they can. I like the way the sea encourages me to think about the past, as if I could leave it where it is: the moon on the water, the stars that gleam and are gone."

#8 WinglessFaery

WinglessFaery

• Pip
  • 423 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

How big a dose are you taking? My pdoc says if you take too much it can actually keep you awake.
Dx BP I Rapid Cycling, GAD, Social Phobia, Panic Disorder,PCOS

Rx lamictal 300 mg, Busprone 60 mg, Lithium 1000 mg, Vistaril 50 mg ( which doesnt do squat),Metformin 2000 mg

Previous Rx zoloft, prozac, lexapro,seraquel, depakote, xannax, ambien, trazadone, abilify, cymbalta

<p>[color=#40e0d0]Mental Illness is a flaw in chemistry not character.[/color

#9 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 18216 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

In my experience, the drowsiness wears off the longer you take Benadryl.  I took it for months for akathisia last year and could stay awake better as time went on (and with caffeine). 

Plain old Benadryl, in the U.S., is diphenhydramine HCl, the same ingredient in Unisom, ZZZQuil, and many other OTC nighttime sleep aids.  Hence, you are likely going to be a bit sleepy on it. 

Maybe look into a different antihistamine, like the one Parapluie suggested.

^THIS.  I can only take it for little bits of time because I develop a tolerance to it easily.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin SR, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#10 Vanya

Vanya

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Benadryl is diphenhydramine; chlorphen(ir)amine is an antihistamine that I prefer for solely anti-allergy purposes - first-generation and (for me) nonsedative. But if you must try and stay awake on Benadryl, lots and lots of caffeine or - as mentioned - tolerance is your friend. Something like three days before it becomes equal to placebo (in terms of sedation), I think. I don't think you can hit the dose at which it becomes nonsedative sans tolerance without entering delirium.

Dx: MDD (severe unmedicated, mild-moderate medicated), GAD (moderate), OCD (mild, formerly severe), social anxiety (severe-ish), paranoid ideation (mild-ish)

Rx: citalopram 40mg qd, quetiapine 300mg qhs, alprazolam 0.25mg prn; formerly trazodone 50mg qhs

Not-really-Dx: emotional instability, interpersonal insecurity, singularity

Not-really-Rx: caffeine ~100mg prn, diphenhydramine 50-150mg prn (?!⸮), phenibut ~2g prn

#11 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

Sister Hand Grenade of Enlightened Compassion

• Inmate
  • 2092 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I don't think you can hit the dose at which it becomes nonsedative sans tolerance without entering delirium.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this sentence.  Could you explain it to me?

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE TIME.

"There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution."

Dx and Psych Rx in profile.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#12 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1420 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Have you just started taking it? Your body will get used to it pretty quick so hang in there. I don't think there's a non-drowsy version but there are the newer non-sedating antihistamines such as Allegra, Claritin and Zyrtec, which you could try if you haven't already. 

ETA: I think if you feel like you're quite drowsy, don't drive because I've had it really affect my driving at times when I've taken more than normal. I was weaving etc. So yeah, be safe. 

Edited by mcjimjam, 27 January 2013 - 08:39 PM.

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1250mg (0.9mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Valium 10-20mg

#13 WinterRosie

WinterRosie

• Admin
  • 4277 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I don't drive all that often (a couple times a year) so I'm not worried about the driving. And I take it very infrequently - anywhere from 'all day' to 'all week' once a month or three.

I don't know what Canada you're in Parapluie, but in this Canada Benedryl was diphenhydramine - the sleepy stuff. I wanted something more activating like Allegra but nothing else said "for hives" on it, which is what I need it for.

Also, I don't take very much - 25mg every four hours. Which might be why it's so sedating.

#14 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1420 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

I have cholinergic hives and Allegra was the first med recommended to me. I was told it was particularly good for that. It didn't work for but basically no antihistamines have. I think it's worth trying the various newer drugs. I mean if one of them helps then you only have to take it once a day and it is basically free of side-effects. 

#15 vanderk

vanderk

Thimk!

• Pip
  • 844 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Zyrtec is a Benedryl derivative, so it may work for you. If you have to continue with Benedryl, the sedative effect usually fades over time. But it may take weeks/months for this to happen.
I believe in everything, nothing is sacred.
I believe in nothing, everything is sacred.
Ha ha, ho ho,and hee hee.

The Chink

#16 InfiniteInsanity

InfiniteInsanity

• Pip
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

I take claritin clear, and that is a non-drowsy allergy medication, over the counter. It works great for me without making me sleepy! :)

Diagnoses: Schizoaffective bipolar type, self-harm, OCD, ADHD, PTSD, Possible ED, and possibly a personality disorder
Current Meds: 900mg Lithium, 300mg Seroquel , 100mg Amitriptyline, 40mg Vyvanse , .5mg Xanax as needed, .5mg Cogentin
Meds I took that didn't work:  Abilify, Prozac, Latuda, Saphris, Geodon (too big to swallow), Risperdal, Lamictal, 
Effexor

Also, my name may seem masculine or gender neutral, but I am a lady! :)

#17 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2620 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

Hi all,

Im in a crisis as well as very sicky sick. For my normal insomnia I usually take 1 tablet of US benadryl (which I think is 25mgs). And I use it maybe 3-4 times a week.

crisis + sick + totally not sleeping even when I would take 1 tablet - I tried 2. No help at all. :(

I read this thread awhile ago and didn't think US benadryl would really prevent sleep. Other than seroquel this is the only thing that has worked. Damn you benadryl!!! Come back to me.

db

edited to fix emoticon. must sleep.

Edited by december_brigette, 18 February 2013 - 07:38 AM.

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1500 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg

topamax 50mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

"Psychiatry is just this year's candy pink stove." from the tv show Madmen.

#18 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1420 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

Hi all,

Im in a crisis as well as very sicky sick. For my normal insomnia I usually take 1 tablet of US benadryl (which I think is 25mgs). And I use it maybe 3-4 times a week.

crisis + sick + totally not sleeping even when I would take 1 tablet - I tried 2. No help at all. :(

I read this thread awhile ago and didn't think US benadryl would really prevent sleep. Other than seroquel this is the only thing that has worked. Damn you benadryl!!! Come back to me.

db

edited to fix emoticon. must sleep.

Here in Australia, on the box it says you can take up to 100mg for insomnia. So 3 or 4 of your tablets might be okay. You could call your pharmacist and ask?

#19 radicalfeminist

radicalfeminist

sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning & you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way

• Pip
  • 647 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

There's a non-drowsy version of Benadryl where I live (I'm also Canadian). It's the one my family has in the house (or usually does). I have no idea what is in it, but if I can find a box tomorrow I'll post the ingredients on here as I'm assuming its not diphenhydramine. For hives in the past my sister has been prescribed Atarax which works really well but is also sedating. I take Claritin for allergies which doesn't really work since my environmental allergies are pretty severe but I am not sure that it is often prescribed for hives. If you don't have the non-drowsy Benadryl then you can try experimenting with different non-sedating antihistamines to see if one of them works for you. I find Claritin the strongest but everyone has different reactions and preferences.

Edited by radicalfeminist, 18 February 2013 - 11:56 PM.

Psych DX: MDD, dysthymia, OCD, GAD, SA, panic disorder, EDNOS.

Meds: Wellbutrin 450 mg, Zoloft 200mg, Quetiapine XR 150mg.

#20 radicalfeminist

radicalfeminist

sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning & you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way

• Pip
  • 647 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

I forgot all about this, but I figured out it was not Benadryl, but the Benadryl knock-off that has the "non-drowsy" option. Sorry for the confusion. My family members refer to it as Benadryl so I've always thought that it ... was.  :closedeyes:

Psych DX: MDD, dysthymia, OCD, GAD, SA, panic disorder, EDNOS.

Meds: Wellbutrin 450 mg, Zoloft 200mg, Quetiapine XR 150mg.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.