• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 TOT

TOT

• Pip
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Mr. Lappytoppy has returned home.

Computer dude put AVG on it. I *used* to use AVG years ago, but switched to MSE.

I've been reading reviews online, figured i'd ask people i knew weren't just trying make their company look good, etc.

So, when it comes to your computer (or, if you had a laptop with Windows 7 and wanted something free) - AVG or MSE?

#2 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2177 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

I have windows 7 on my desktop computer and I use MSE for antivirus.

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia + Acid Reflex Disease
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Pantoprazole + Centrum + Fish Oil

#3 wj74

wj74

complicated

• Pip
  • 2280 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I switched to AVG after my other antivirus expired a few years ago. I also use a spyware program (spybot?) on top of that. Haven't had a problem with the combo. Before I put the spyware thing on after one of my kids clicked on a fake software update and got spyware infected. I use the free versions. The other one I was paying for slowed my computer way down.

SZA, bipolar type.

#4 Rianne

Rianne

Kinda Crazy

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

I use MSE. Haven't gotten a virus yet. Although, I've never gotten a virus in my whole life...

Primary Dx's: Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Schizoaffective Disorder, Fibromyalgia

Rx: Lamictal 200mg, Klonopin .5mg

#5 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13232 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

I use MSE. Having the virus definitions update along with windows is really handy.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#6 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I use MSE as well on my Windows 7 Laptop. I did look at reviews etc. and I think AVG did get better reviews from CNET but I find MSE to be more unobtrusive. I forget it's there. No viruses so far.

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1250mg (0.9mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Valium 10-20mg

#7 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13232 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

It's good to scan your system every few weeks with the free version of malwarebytes as well.  It picks up a lot of stuff you don't want on your computer which isn't a virus.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#8 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Yes, I have that as well. It probably is time for a scan actually.

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1250mg (0.9mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Valium 10-20mg

#9 San

San

Lawful Evil

• Inmate
  • 4243 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

I use MSE after AVG missed a LOT and took my netbook down. Reinstalling Windows on a netbook is fun! (HA)

Oops.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, ADHD - Inattentive

Rx: Piportil Depot (75mg injection, 2 weeks) Clonazepam (2mg) Ritalin(30mg)  Wellbutrin (300mg) Artane (10mg) Seroquel (200mg) ECT (2008)

Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / Antipsychotic Comparison Tool

#10 Manic Maverick

Manic Maverick

• Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

MSE is best for anything below Windows 8. For Windows 8 and above MSE is actually built in as Windows Defender so you don't have to worry about installing anti-virus at all.

#11 ovOidampUle

ovOidampUle

• Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

I'm using Avast Antivirus. AVG was OK but a little more intrusive and I was having some compatibility problems. It might be fine now, though. 

I also have Comodo firewall which asks for permission for any unapproved application to access the internet. 

And I run a peerblocker which blocks a lot of unwanted traffic, mostly from anti-P2P groups, but it also cuts out some potentially malicious and annoying sites. 

Dx: BP2, ADHD, aggravated crankiness

Rx: Lamictal 400mg, Trileptal 600mg, Adderal 20mg

#12 Manic Maverick

Manic Maverick

• Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

Comodo firewall is absolutely brilliant. If you turn on DefensePlus it'll also monitor what unknown applications are doing to your system.

#13 ovOidampUle

ovOidampUle

• Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

If I add one more security program to my PC, I'm pretty sure that it won't let me use it anymore. Can computers become paranoid? 

#14 Manic Maverick

Manic Maverick

• Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

Can computers become paranoid? 

If so mine absolutely is. I have a little thing at the corner of my screen telling me about every single internet connection in and out of the computer and I have two firewalls running. And in my browser all plugins are click to run and I have Ghostry, AdBlock, and HTTPS Everywhere installed. I also refuse to use my uni's internet because they won't let me hook a router up to it and I don't want to expose my laptop to the rest of the network (which contains everyone else in my halls).

But then I'm guessing this is just the computer reflecting the user... :P

Edited by Manic Maverick, 13 February 2013 - 12:23 AM.

#15 ovOidampUle

ovOidampUle

• Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

From my peerblocker I've realized that there are a lot of computers trying to talk to my computer; I've also learned it takes about a minute to figure out who everyone is and if I should let them through or not. If I had one of those screens monitoring activity like you had, I'd have to read it constantly just to know what's going on and I probably wouldn't be able to waste my time doing anything else. So for me, monitoring all my connections wouldn't do too much for my security, but it might grant me an illusion of control. That's right. I went there. You cannot escape the implications of that other thread by hiding in here. 

Still, I'd be interested to learn more about this little thing at the corner of your screen. Where can I get one?

#16 Manic Maverick

Manic Maverick

• Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

If you have P2P programs running in the background all the time then yes you will have lots of connections going in and out, but I don't so it's fine for me.

It comes with Little Snitch, which is an outgoing firewall for OS X. I paid ~£30 for it but it's well worth the piece of mind for all the features it has. It gives me complete control over every single connection my computer makes as well as showing them to me in realtime.

Comodo does the controlling connections bit but I'm not sure if there's an equivalent Windows app that shows you all the connections going in and out of your system. I imagine there is, but I personally don't know of one.

#17 ovOidampUle

ovOidampUle

• Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Oh my God! AND you run OS X? Your computer should definitely be posting on the paranoid delusions thread. "Yes, bad things happen to computers, but nobody is really THAT interested in a Mac."

#18 Manic Maverick

Manic Maverick

• Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

It's locked down to shit I tell ya, it should be on antipsychotics :P

#19 ovOidampUle

ovOidampUle

• Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

You're probably overclocking it too. Poor thing. 

#20 Manic Maverick

Manic Maverick

• Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

I'm not, although it has actually has a thing built into the CPU so that it'll overclock itself if it needs to.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.