is adoption an option for us?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JadeMultiple

JadeMultiple

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

okay, here's a fear of mine. are we gonna be unable to adopt because of our mental illnesses?

Multiple Personality Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Phobia

Taking citalopram and risperidone

#2 Mirazh

Mirazh

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons - and make SUPER LEMONS.

• Inmate
  • 2258 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

There are some diagnoses, I believe but do not know, which already may prevent one from being approved by an adoption agency.

Which mental illness?

And, is this GLBT specific in some way? Because if not, I'm thinking of moving it perhaps to parents/parenting, as being more likely to garner on-topic answers there.

Important Info: Neighbourhood punkicorn and emogoff; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ne / nem / nir / nemself

tumblr_inline_n7dsmwRe2n1rghkw5.png

#3 WinterRosie

WinterRosie

Staring down the spoils of war

• Admin
  • 4431 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

I haven't done any research (I don't want kids, I fear that it would just end terribly for all concerned) but given that half the world doesn't even accept DID as a diagnosis I can't imagine that it is very high on the "cannot be responsible for others" list. Every system that I know of that went the parenting route is doing a really good job of it, so presumably it's okay? But I'd say if you're serious about it do your research. I don't know about GAD and social phobia though.

Also, Miron made a good point about this being in the parenting forum. If you want to add how it's a LGBTQ issue that would be a good idea, since we don't know the rules around that in your country anyway.

Edited by WinterRosie, 28 January 2013 - 08:01 AM.

Si nous ne sommes pas pro-nous-autres, nous sommes anti-nous-autres.

A diamond is just a piece of coal that handled stress exceptionally well. Oh well, there's always cubic zirconia. 

Rx: weekly injections of Standard Knowledge as needed

Note: Staff are here to think with you, not for you. Keep your thinking caps on. I've never been a doctor, not even in high school drama class, so you'll need to ask your own.

Boards I moderate: confessional, people suck, news/politics, dissociation, trauma + private, substance abuse, eating disorders

#4 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

I think more than the question of whether you can adopt you should first ask the question if you should adopt.  I make no judgment either way but I think you should seriously think about it.  I know plenty of MI people who have chosen not to have children or adopt because they do not feel stable enough.  The idea is that if you can't control yourself emotionally or physically, how can you care for children?  I had children before I was diagnosed and I don't regret it.  But if I didn't have DH to help me on my bad days I really don't know what I would do.  There are literally days when I cannot and should not care for children.

On the flip side, I know MI folks who do have children and can handle it.  Ultimately, the responsibility lies with you.  Out of curiosity, do you have any alters that could pose a risk to a child?  Or do you have child alters that are not capable of caring for a child?  Things to consider.

Dx: Bipolar Disorder I, ADD, BDD
Rx: Lamictal 300mg; Wellbutrin 300mg: Celexa 40mg
FAIL: Lithium; Geodon. Abilify

#5 Mirazh

Mirazh

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons - and make SUPER LEMONS.

• Inmate
  • 2258 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Okay, I am moving this into the Parenting forum. Even if it does veer into GLBQT territory, I'm still going to consider it a parenting topic.

Important Info: Neighbourhood punkicorn and emogoff; definitely not a doctor.  A crazy like the rest of you -- user first and moderator second.  For understanding, extended thanks.  Further info is on my profile.  Also on my Moderator Intro Post.

Pronouns (to eliminate confusion) :  ne / nem / nir / nemself

tumblr_inline_n7dsmwRe2n1rghkw5.png

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.