Trazodone Hangover?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nicolee

nicolee

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

I had a visit with my pdoc yesterday and asked her for Trazodone since I have been having a severe bout of insomnia for over a month.  I had been reading this forum for about a week before my appointment, and my mother takes it as well so I felt safe in asking for it.

I took the first dose (50 mg) at bedtime and had strange dreams, woke up about 4 hours later, stayed up for an hour or so, then went back  to bed and woke up around 9:00 am.  Problem is, I'm "hungover" and feel like I could sleep more, but I can't fall back asleep.

Pdoc told me that I can take up to 100 mg if the 50 doesn't work, but I'm going to stick with 50 and see how it works before I decide whether or not to take 100 mg.

I just got laid off from my job a little over a week ago, so the excessive sleeping isn't that big of a deal at the moment, but I was wondering from those of you who take it, if the hangover side effect will eventually go away after using it for a little while.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Diagnosis: Bipolar I (recovered borderline personality disorder)

Current Meds: Lamictal, Geodon, Trazodone

#2 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3710 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

I was on 50mg. As long as I got a decent amount of sleep (eight hours +) I didn't really feel hungover in the morning. Gave me weird dreams and I suspect it may have made some weird sleeping things I had before even worse, so I stopped taking it. And it's not like it ALWAYS worked either, which was annoying. I'm about to ask for something else.

I hope the hangover goes away for you! 

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#3 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

I could not handle this drug because the hangover was so horrible.  I stopped taking it shortly after trying it a few times.  Don't know if that side effect goes away with time.

Dx: Bipolar Disorder I, ADD, BDD
Rx: Lamictal 300mg; Wellbutrin 300mg: Celexa 40mg
FAIL: Lithium; Geodon. Abilify

#4 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

It does for some people but did not for me.

Edited by notfred, 31 January 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#5 nicolee

nicolee

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for all the helpful responses.  I'm glad I have a place to go where I can ask people who have actually tried it instead of just relying on the pamphlet that comes from the pharmacy or google, lol!

It's about 1:00 now and I feel more refreshed than I did before I started taking it, when I was relying on high doses of Benadryl and Melatonin to knock me out.  I think the key for me will be for me to go to bed earlier, since my internal alarm clock is set between 6-7 am. 

Thanks again!  I've been a member for a few years, but only lurk mostly now because I have been stable for quite some time and don't feel like I would be useful to anyone!

#6 Savannah

Savannah

• Pip
  • 629 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

I take 200mg of trazadone, 8mg rozerem and 2 mg clonopin. My hangover pretty much went away but I take provigil in the mornings to help.

Bipolar 1 with psychosis

Current meds: geodon 160mg, seroquel 500mg, prolixin 5 mg, lamictal 500mg, zoloft 150mg, trazadone 200mg, rozerem 8mg, Provigil 200mg

#7 Energizerhoney

Energizerhoney

• Pip
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

I know a lot of ppl who take Trazadone for sleep (I take Seroquel and still have a hangover, depending on the dose). Some ppl the hangover goes away, Some it does not. You might have to play around with your dose if it.
Sounds like you have a lot of stress going on as well which might be causing you to wake up during the night.
Bipolar 1, Panic disorder.

Lamictal 400mg
Seroquel 200mg
Klonopin 1mg prn

#8 Wonderful.Cheese

Wonderful.Cheese

Cheddar makes everything better!

• Pip
  • 2619 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I never had a hangover. In fact I've gotten so used to it I don't sleep well at all anymore. I know some people take it forever and it never stops working for them. Always makes them drowsy. I hope the hangover goes away for you and you are able to sleep soundly and through the night!

Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder Type and GAD and OCD and Insomnia (unspecified)

Abilify 30mg, venlafaxine ER 150mg, lunesta 3mg prn, clonazepam 1.5mg, lamotrigine 250mg, seroquel 700mg

#9 nicolee

nicolee

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Since my pdoc told me I can take up to 100 mg, I bumped my dose up a few nights ago. I have found that a higher dosage keeps me asleep all night, and if I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep, I take some Benadryl.  After almost a week on the traz I no longer have that hung over feeling.  I sleep until about 9 am, and wake up feeling rested.  This is some of the best sleep I've gotten in a while.  The strange dreams are gone, which I'm kinda bummed about...they were quite entertaining and very vivid.

I really appreciate all the responses I've received.  This is such a great place to lurk (and post occasionally).

#10 emsed1

emsed1

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

For me the top I can take of Trazodone for the sleep effect is 50mg.  Trazodone is a "dirty" drug in that it hits different receptors as the dose goes up.  It tops out on Histamine around 50mg so taking 100 or more starts getting into the Alpha and Serotonin (anti-depressant) effects.

It's wierd and I'm a nerd though...  It's like Remeron.  Small dose = sleepy, large = not so sleepy.

If you aren't on Trazodone 100 or more for depression try 25mg or 50mg on an empty stomach.

I go down like a rock.  (That being said I have some TERRIBLE Trazodone side effects and can only do this about 2 or 3 nights before I have to switch to another med for a few days).

In the last 14 years I've taken every prescribed sleep med from A(mbien) to Z(opiclone), and everything in between.  They all affect people differently. 

Example:  Did you know that a side-effect of Ambien is threatened divorce? :)  Yep... I don't recommend taking it for ten years at escalating doses and during the day for stress.   But that's for another time...

Dx:  Bipolar NOS, ADHD, Chronic Insomnia

Rx:  Lamotrigine 400mg, Concerta 72mg,  Lithium 900mg, Seroquel 50mg, Lorazepam 2mg

#11 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Example:  Did you know that a side-effect of Ambien is threatened divorce? :) 

Huh?  Now this is a story I want to hear.

Dx: Bipolar Disorder I, ADD, BDD
Rx: Lamictal 300mg; Wellbutrin 300mg: Celexa 40mg
FAIL: Lithium; Geodon. Abilify

#12 Breebree93

Breebree93

That one guy

• Pip
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

My Trazadone hangovers went away VERY slowly. It got better after time (I take 150-300mg). 

The ONLY thing that didn't go away was the morning ass breath. 

You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then the one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking

And racing around to come up behind you again
~Pink Floyd

#13 vondick

vondick

• Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:27 AM

Example:  Did you know that a side-effect of Ambien is threatened divorce? :)

Huh?  Now this is a story I want to hear.

I second this motion

Really quite very sure I'm on the spectrum. Awaiting report back from assessment.
Recently quit Wellbutrin XL 150, taking Dexedrine spansules when I can afford it.
A little slow with social interaction- if I offend you do not hesitate to let me know, chances are I really didn't mean it.

#14 brokenchina

brokenchina

• Pip
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

I'm 17 and have been taking  trazodone since I was about 12-13. Can't remember the exact age. The first couple of years, I felt that "hangover" type thing in the morning. Sometimes couldn't even wake up to get to school on time. Now it takes a few hours to work usually (at 100mg) with some benadryl and melatonin. I wish it would work like it used to. 

Dx: Asperger's Syndrome, Bipolar I Disorder, ADD (Inattentive Type), OCD, Anxiety Disorder, Sensory Processing Disorder, some sleep disorder that needs to be diagnosed
Rx: lamictal (100mg), lithium (900mg), lorazepam (1-1.5mg), doxepin (50mg sleep), benadryl (sleep), melatonin (sleep)

Past Rx:

adderall

aripiprazole (abilify)

atomoxetine (strattera) 

bupropion (wellbutrin)

citalopram

dexmethylphenidate (focalin)

escitalopram (lexapro)

fluoxetine (prozac)

meclizine

methylphenidate (ritalin)

risperidone (risperdal)

trazodone 

#15 emsed1

emsed1

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Well...a couple of nights of low dose remeron have been good. Trazodone is wonderful except for the bad alpha-antagonism that cause my nose to swell shut. About three nights is all I can you take.

Dx:  Bipolar NOS, ADHD, Chronic Insomnia

Rx:  Lamotrigine 400mg, Concerta 72mg,  Lithium 900mg, Seroquel 50mg, Lorazepam 2mg

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.