Curious: Buddhism and Hinduism.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lifequake

lifequake

• Pip
  • 746 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

I am very interested in studying Buddhism and Hinduism.  Coming from a Western background, though, I feel like there is SO much to learn and my curiosity abounds. 

Unfortunately, I do not know anyone in my real life who practices or studies either religion.  Does anyone have any suggestions for books or readings?  Or know of any good books on meditation or mindfulness?

What are your experiences with Buddhism or Hinduism? 

I have read The Bhagavad Gita, The Dhammapada, & the Upanishads but want to keep exploring...

Thanks for any thoughts, experiences, or suggestions.

Dx: MDD, GAD, PMDD, bulimia
Rx: Viibryd (40 mg); Cytomel (25 mcg); Vyvanse (20 mg)

"What is to give light must endure burning." (Viktor E. Frankl)

#2 Titania

Titania

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 5260 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

I was raised a Buddhist by my Dad, I still observe some tenets of it. I think that, because Buddhism has developed over time in different countries, the different kinds can be a confusing. A tibetan puja (offering ceremony) can seem pretty esoteric, Japanese and Thai Buddhist culture can vary. Lineages (passing a teaching down through teachers tracing back a heritage) is how a teaching carries some consistency, so a lot of Buddhist infighting and politics is about lineage issues.

My recommendation is to perhaps think about the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order or an organisation that recognises that westerners can have different cultural needs when it comes to teaching. The teacher Siddartha, the figurehead in Buddhism (if you could call it that) was reported to have encouraged his followers to be a lamp unto themselves and determine what works for them, not to trust a teacher or guru on reputation alone. The Buddhist communities (Sangha's) I have liked have been inclusive, non elitist and able to relate to different perspectives.

I know less about Hinduism never having practiced it. There are some really common misconceptions about it in terms of the nature of it (people assume it is many Gods and Goddesses, not so for many Hindu's) and again, a good community will recognize that and be willing to educate you.

Thich Nhat Hanh, Jon Kabat Zinn and Pema Chodron are my favourite authors for Buddhism. All are accessible to those not having practiced before.

Edited by Titania, 31 January 2013 - 12:22 PM.

“I am naïve and I have fucked up but I tell you something else. I believe in change. I don't mind getting my hands dirty because my hands are dirty already. I don't mind giving my life to this because I'm only alive because of the compassion and love of others.” Russell Brand.

"She said to go ahead and feel the feelings. I did. They felt like shit." Anne Lammot.

"you are not too old/and it is not too late/to dive into your increasing depths/where life calmly gives out/it's own secret" Rilke

"You," he said, "are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world, and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain." Emilie Autumn - The Asylum For WayWard Victorian Girls.

#3 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 5996 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Thich Nhat Hanh, Jon Kabat Zinn and Pema Chodron are my favourite authors for Buddhism. All are accessible to those not having practiced before.

Seconding this... and adding Gil Fronsdal and Noah Levine as additional American western buddhist teachers that are highly accessible.

Gil and Noah have a lot of audio teachings available at zencast and against the stream (respectively)

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#4 lifequake

lifequake

• Pip
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

Thank you, Woo and Titania.  Library lunch-break tomorrow to scope out books!

#5 Rowlena

Rowlena

• Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

I am in seminary and my freinds rave about the book "The World's Religions" by Huston Smith from our world religions class. It talks about many difrent religions but definetly Hinduisim and Buddhisim

http://www.amazon.co...ns of the world

"I refuse to Sink"

"The Truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off"

Gloria Steinem

DX: Bipolar NOS or II,  GAD, Panic Disorder but who realy knows...

Former DX: MDD,

RX: Brain: Celexa  40mg, 1Xday, Lamictal 200mg, 1Xdaily, Seroquel 75mg 1Xdaily ,Welbutrion 100mg, Gabapentin going to 6mg Clonazepam 0.125 prn
Other: Synthroid 75mg 1xdaily, Metformin HLC ER 500mg 4Xdaily, Givani, Multivitaman, Vitaman D

45minuets of therapy a week, love/hate but important to me

*also a terible speller! (whoops did it there!)

#6 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

Sister Hand Grenade of Enlightened Compassion

• Inmate
  • 2185 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

I'm a Buddhist, or at least aspiring to be.  I'm not super comfortable calling myself one yet because my practice is erratic but I deeply desire to get more into it.

Anyway, I own "The World's Religions" and had to read it for a class.  It's dated but the general information is good.

Other books on Buddhism that I recommend are "Buddhism for Busy People" and anything by Pema Chodron.  It seems like most people really like Thich Nhat Hanh, but I've never really connected with him personally, still, he absolutely does get recommended a lot and tastes always vary!

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE TIME.

"There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution."

Dx and Psych Rx in profile.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#7 lifequake

lifequake

• Pip
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Rowlena, I actually own that book from a course I took at uni!  Thanks.

I found a good book by Kabat-Zinn that I started yesterday.  It is called Wherever You Go, There You Are

I'll check out something by Pema Chodron next, but they were all out at my local lib.  Thanks, saveyoursanity!

#8 Titania

Titania

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 5260 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I LOVE WHEREVER YOU GO THERE YOU ARE! It is freakin' amazing.

“I am naïve and I have fucked up but I tell you something else. I believe in change. I don't mind getting my hands dirty because my hands are dirty already. I don't mind giving my life to this because I'm only alive because of the compassion and love of others.” Russell Brand.

"She said to go ahead and feel the feelings. I did. They felt like shit." Anne Lammot.

"you are not too old/and it is not too late/to dive into your increasing depths/where life calmly gives out/it's own secret" Rilke

"You," he said, "are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world, and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain." Emilie Autumn - The Asylum For WayWard Victorian Girls.

#9 lifequake

lifequake

• Pip
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

Titania, I LOVE, love, love it, too.

#10 Rianne

Rianne

Kinda Crazy

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

I studied Buddhism last year for a whole year, and it was pretty fun. I just completed a 36-week course on it through http://www.dharmagiri.org/13.html , the two instructors are from South Africa. You learn quite a bit, is ran by donations (I didn't pay them anything because I'm poor), and they love to talk to you via email. I don't know when the next session starts, but you could always ask :)

Primary Dx's: Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Schizoaffective Disorder, Fibromyalgia

Rx: Lamictal 200mg, Klonopin .5mg

#11 Emettman

Emettman

One point of view lacks depth.

• Pip
  • 2151 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

I have done some reading, and am currently obtaining considerable education and fun from an Indian forum (in English) on spirituality. mainly on Hinduism, but saying that leaves a vast spectrum open.
I'm one of a minority of "outsiders" coming without being raised with Hinduism as part of their natural culture, and that is really showing up some of my assumptions, and some of those common for anyone raised to a Hindu or Buddhist background.

My top quotation from Siddhartha Gutama: 
 "Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

Now that, I can work with....

I've also taken points on board about detachment and living in the moment, though I'd not call myself a Buddhist.

Hinduism I'm finding far more of a struggle, because of a couple of core principles which, when I think them through, jar with me badly.

But that could just be me:  I'm still trying to weigh that, allowing for biases in every direction.  Not easy.

Chris.

"The world still doesn't make sense, but now I know why it doesn't make sense. That's progress."

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.