Vista won't start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nicolee

nicolee

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that I have had since late 2009.  After installing windows updates, it has quit starting into windows.  I have tried system restore, startup repair, etc. 

Does anyone have any other ideas about what this could be?  I have a friend who's husband works on computers, but I have no income at the moment and want to avoid having to pay someone to fix it if there's something that I can do.   I'm pretty computer literate, but this has me stumped!

Diagnosis: Bipolar I (recovered borderline personality disorder)

Current Meds: Lamictal, Geodon, Trazodone

#2 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Can you get into safe mode?

http://www.computerh...s/chsafe.htm#03

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Propranolol 10mg TID + Centrum + Fish Oil

#3 San

San

Lawful Evil

• Inmate
  • 3830 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

What is it doing/not doing? Is it just booting up, then doing nothing? Do you have the Windows Vista (I HATED Vista) disks?

Odds are your BIOS is set to boot from a CD/DVD-ROM. When you turn it on hit the specified F-key (usually f2 or f8) and change it to boot onto the harddrive. Or put the disk in the CD/DVD-ROM and try to boot it from that and troubleshoot from Windows.

I hope that makes sense. I think that's what may be going on. The boot sequence, or a glitch in installation. In all honesty, Windows 7 is way better than Vista.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, ADHD - Inattentive

Rx: Risperdal Consta (37.5mg injection, 2 weeks) Clonazepam (1.5mg) Lexapro (20mg) Dexedrine (20mg) Artane (PRN)

Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / Antipsychotic Comparison Tool

#4 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3085 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Did the windows updates fail to install at reboot?  What about the system restore - does it complete?  Have you tried an earlier restore point?

And, yeah.. depending on what's going on, you'll want to look at BIOS settings and hard drive functionality.

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia and Panic Disorder, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (recently re-theorized by current pdoc)
Rx : Strattera 80mg, Armour Thyroid 60mg (1 gr), Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.