20 replies to this topic

#1 shimmeree

shimmeree

• Pip
  • 756 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

http://www.takepart.com/node/34383

Dx: major depression, C-PTSD. (309.81, 296.3X), self- harm, alcohol abuse
Rx: 225 mg venlafaxine HCL (currently titrating up to 300 mg), 900 mg gabapentin TID, 50 mg trazodone
past Rx: Paxil, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, clonazepam, lorazepam

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being. ~ Carl Jung
We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. ~ Carl Jung

#2 tryp

tryp

Bawk Bawk Therapy Cranes!

• Inmate
  • 6898 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I don't see how this can be a good thing. False negatives could be potentially devastating.

I can see this being a research tool to help us understand endophenotypes of depression and predictors of treatmet response. But I can't see this being a good idea at point of care unless it can be proven that it is extremely sensitive.

Edited by tryp, 01 February 2013 - 01:08 PM.

Dx: Complex PTSD
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + "therapy"

#3 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3243 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

I think it's interesting.  I wonder what else is going to come out?  But, I wouldn't pay for it out-of-pocket if it isn't covered by insurance.

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel, topomax

It just may be a lunatic you're looking for

Billy Joel

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

#4 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2634 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Well, my last thought is the cost. I fully admit I have no idea how much a blood test for lithium costs, or a blood test for thyroid stuff costs. These are fairly "regular" tests that insurance companies pay for. But if i was queen of insurance I don't know if I would pay for this depression test.

I've read other articles about the prospects of a blood test for MI and I may have posted them. I like the idea but its the correct answer rate (for lack of better scientific term) that concerns me for a blood screening for depression, MI, etc.

db

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1500 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg

topamax 50mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

"Psychiatry is just this year's candy pink stove." from the tv show Madmen.

#5 skye

skye

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I think this is an incredible breakthrough! Medicine is finally coming out with tests for mental illnesses. It could be devastating but if the person is self-harming, suicidal or otherwise not functioning I doubt a decent physician would suggest it's not real. Plus if a blood test told me I wasn't depressed maybe it would cause a placebo effect. I don't know, this raises a lot of questions but I'm optimistic about it!

Hello, seizuredplz.gifI'm Skye

I have GAD

Dx: DID, GAD, BU, borderline, panic disorder, substance 
Current Rx: prozac 40mg, seroquel XR 50mg, seroquel (as needed) 12.5mg
Past Rx: prozac, zoloft 150mg, ativan 1mg

#6 tryp

tryp

• Inmate
  • 6898 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

I just don't see what it could accomplish that a decently competent physician taking a detailed history could not.

Sure, it would feel good for people who tested positive, but what about the negatives?

In physical illnesses, a screening test is followed by further imaging and confirmation. There is nothing further to verify the results of this test or catch individuals who are missed.

#7 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3243 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

I think it might be easier to accept a dx if you have a test and data.  I would think the competent physician would still take a history to verify the results.

Billy Joel

#8 tryp

tryp

• Inmate
  • 6898 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

I just don't really see depression as a yes/no answer. It is a spectrum and there are different subtypes and symptom clusters. I don't think this test provides any information that I would find relevant.

#9 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3243 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

I just think it's exciting that they are starting to come out with tests.  If you could differentiate bipolar and schizophrenia or major depression from bipolar that would be helpful.  And, I'm waiting for one that will predict which meds will work best.

(I know this test doesn't do any of that, just thinking)

Billy Joel

#10 tryp

tryp

• Inmate
  • 6898 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Tests that could differentiate similar illnesses would certainly be useful. I just doubt that psychiatry will ever be simplified to the point where a yes/no answer is possible. Maybe I am wrong.

I can just foresee a test like this being used to replace a comprehensive assessment by a psychiatrist, leading to incorrect treatment.

I have always been taught "Don't order a test unless it will change your management of the patient."

Edited by tryp, 01 February 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#11 WinglessFaery

WinglessFaery

• Pip
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I think it could be really good or really bad. I think tryp has a point and too further that are they going too make this availabe too people before they can use blood tests too identity MI other thanl MDD?

For example how many wipe BP who seek treatment during a depressive episode would get this blood test and if they did would they test positive? If not then would they be turned away and told there is nothing wrong with them? And if they test positive, got diagnosed with MDD and put on an SSRI, we know the damage that can cause and tons of people could be sent into destructive mania.

I think releasing this might be premature. They're is too much of a spectrum and too many overlapping symptoms in MI but if they could come with more test or a test that explores other possibilities than just one diagnosis than it. would be awesome.

Ofcourse if someone had been going too a pdoc for a while and pdoc was already pretty sure it was MDD then gives a blood test just too further prove the diagnosis that would be great too

It definitly has potential too destigmatize MI but should not replace pyschological evaluations
Dx BP I Rapid Cycling, GAD, Social Phobia, Panic Disorder,PCOS

Rx lamictal 300 mg, Busprone 60 mg, Lithium 1000 mg, Vistaril 50 mg ( which doesnt do squat),Metformin 2000 mg

Previous Rx zoloft, prozac, lexapro,seraquel, depakote, xannax, ambien, trazadone, abilify, cymbalta

<p>[color=#40e0d0]Mental Illness is a flaw in chemistry not character.[/color

#12 WinterRosie

WinterRosie

Staring down the spoils of war

• Admin
  • 5024 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I wonder how this would work with depression that is situational, rather than purely chemical. Would it be able to identify "oh, you're grieving, and that's why you're sad" without a history being taken? I doubt it.

I did manage to get dx'd with depression once: they didn't do a good screening job and we were being abused at the time, as well as abusing drugs to cope with the abuse. Because they were never told about the abuse the symptoms seemed similar enough, I guess. I wonder what a test would have said; I doubt that it, too, would have noticed that pain that we were actually in.

Si nous ne sommes pas pro-nous-autres, nous sommes anti-nous-autres. Oh look! I made a Thing!

Rx: twice-weekly injections of Standard Knowledge

Note: Staff are here to think with you, not for you. Keep your thinking caps on. I've never been a doctor, not even in high school drama class, so you'll need to ask your own.

Boards I moderate: confessional, people suck, news/politics, dissociation, trauma + private, substance abuse, eating disorders, self-injury, chat

#13 WinglessFaery

WinglessFaery

• Pip
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Thats a really good point rosie

Rx lamictal 300 mg, Busprone 60 mg, Lithium 1000 mg, Vistaril 50 mg ( which doesnt do squat),Metformin 2000 mg

Previous Rx zoloft, prozac, lexapro,seraquel, depakote, xannax, ambien, trazadone, abilify, cymbalta

#14 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2431 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

The MDDScore test is expected to cost $745.

#15 Cacia

Cacia

• Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

;

Edited by Cacia, 08 July 2013 - 06:51 AM.

diagnosed with

| b.p.d | recurrent m.d.d (w/ psychotic symptoms) | s.a.d w/ selective mutism | chronic p.t.s.d | veganism | gifted |

daily medications

| venlafaxine 300mg | seroquel 800mg | mirtazapine 45mg | clonazepam 4mg prn |

You can delete my dicks but I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really need everyone to know how much I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really don't care.

#16 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 22533 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

I wouldn't want it solely to diagnose depression, but maybe as an adjunct to other factors.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran,propranolol.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#17 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

The MDDScore test is expected to cost $745.

Psh. Yeah, okay. 

I don't need to spend $745 to figure out that I feel like ass. I already KNOW that, and so does my doctor. I mean, the people who are going to pay for these tests, well, they already know something is wrong with them, right? So why don't they go see a person to diagnose them? It's cheaper. I find it interesting that it's possible to tell whether or not someone suffers from depression with a blood test, but I have no idea why this would be necessary. "He fits the DSM criteria for depression, but I think he's lying! Let's submit him to a blood test!"

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#18 WinglessFaery

WinglessFaery

• Pip
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

I think the whole idea behind this is too destigmitize and make people realize its a physical illness. Which is awesome and its needed but it might backfire. Like could it get too the point where insurance companies would refuses too pay for depression treatment if you dont test positive?

If it werent for alll the concerns though I would love too take the results and shove it in alll the peoples faces who tell me too just get over it.

Something needs too happen too destigmitize.

Also I wonder how this test might eventually be used too determine dissability eligibility

#19 kateislate

kateislate

• Pip
  • 372 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

An interesting blog post on the subject.

Dx: Depression and various anxiety disorders, factitious disorder
Rx: Latuda, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Strattera, Adderall, Zyprexa prn, Verapamil
Past Rx: Most of them.

"She said that 10 percent of any population is cruel, no matter what, and that 10 percent is merciful, no matter what, and that the remaining 80 percent could be moved in either direction."

--Kurt Vonnegut quoting Susan Sontag

#20 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 22533 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

There seems to be too many variables when looking at depression in general, let alone a blood test.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran,propranolol.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.