15 replies to this topic

#1 TOT

TOT

• Pip
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

http://www.psycholog...e-and-vitamin-d

"Lowest levels of Vitamin D are linked to suicide in the military."

You might not care for the source, but the data is interesting.

Sunbathe topless for your mental health!

#2 Rowlena

Rowlena

• Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

I found when I started takeing vitamin D (pill form on the recomendation of my Endroconoligist) my mood perked up in combonation with all of my other meds being added at that point.

"I refuse to Sink"

"The Truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off"

Gloria Steinem

DX: Bipolar NOS or II,  GAD, Panic Disorder but who realy knows...

Former DX: MDD,

RX: Brain: Celexa  40mg, 1Xday, Lamictal 200mg, 1Xdaily, Seroquel 75mg 1Xdaily ,Welbutrion 100mg, Gabapentin going to 6mg Clonazepam 0.125 prn
Other: Synthroid 75mg 1xdaily, Metformin HLC ER 500mg 4Xdaily, Givani, Multivitaman, Vitaman D

45minuets of therapy a week, love/hate but important to me

*also a terible speller! (whoops did it there!)

#3 skye

skye

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

I thought vitamin B was more important for mental health?

Hello, seizuredplz.gifI'm Skye

I have GAD

Dx: DID, GAD, BU, borderline, panic disorder, substance 
Current Rx: prozac 40mg, seroquel XR 50mg, seroquel (as needed) 12.5mg
Past Rx: prozac, zoloft 150mg, ativan 1mg

#4 olga

olga

Life is better when you bring home a furry pal

• Inmate
  • 10597 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

I think D is the one usually suggested to people, along with the Omega-3s in fish oils.

I've stopped using sun screen except on my face.  I keep hoping that it will help with my depression and with my osteopenia.  We'll see.

olga

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do what you want. I don't have time to spend on people who are mentally ill and refuse treatment.

#5 WinglessFaery

WinglessFaery

• Pip
  • 424 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Is this what light therapy is for?
Dx BP I Rapid Cycling, GAD, Social Phobia, Panic Disorder,PCOS

Rx lamictal 300 mg, Busprone 60 mg, Lithium 1000 mg, Vistaril 50 mg ( which doesnt do squat),Metformin 2000 mg

Previous Rx zoloft, prozac, lexapro,seraquel, depakote, xannax, ambien, trazadone, abilify, cymbalta

<p>[color=#40e0d0]Mental Illness is a flaw in chemistry not character.[/color

#6 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4568 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Is this what light therapy is for?

no, light therapy is something different

Vit D levels can be (and should be) measured in your blood

and your body uses it like a hormone

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#7 WinglessFaery

WinglessFaery

• Pip
  • 424 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Oh okay thanks!
Dx BP I Rapid Cycling, GAD, Social Phobia, Panic Disorder,PCOS

Rx lamictal 300 mg, Busprone 60 mg, Lithium 1000 mg, Vistaril 50 mg ( which doesnt do squat),Metformin 2000 mg

Previous Rx zoloft, prozac, lexapro,seraquel, depakote, xannax, ambien, trazadone, abilify, cymbalta

<p>[color=#40e0d0]Mental Illness is a flaw in chemistry not character.[/color

#8 Eden

Eden

• Pip
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

I find it fascinating that they at least partially acknowledge a shortage of evidence towards labeling cause and effect, more often than not people jump to conclusions. I would suspect that D levels and suicide frequency are more often than not the effect of an unmentioned cause.

New Dx: Psychosis NOS, MDD + Aspergers and ADHD Inattentive type w/ social anxiety.
Also: Celiac disease and chronic 'flavor of the week' insomnia.

-Scratch that, uncle Sam gave me a clean bill of health cuz I talk gud n stuff.

"Mankind are a herd of knaves and fools.
It is necessary to join the crowd, or get out of their way,
in order not to be trampled to death by them" William Hazlitt.

One does not simply walk into dictionary.

#9 Cerberus

Cerberus

Not Entirely Human

• Inmate
  • 1908 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

I find it fascinating that they at least partially acknowledge a shortage of evidence towards labeling cause and effect, more often than not people jump to conclusions. I would suspect that D levels and suicide frequency are more often than not the effect of an unmentioned cause.

Indeed.  One wonders whether the measurement of low levels of Vitamin D isn't the same thing as a measurement of low levels of stress-free walks on sunny days.

Kentuckian by birth, Gallifreyan by choice

... if you gaze too long into the Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you. - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Not only am I not a doctor, I'm not even human. See your psychiatrist or physician before taking any psychoactive medication.

Dx: Refractive Double Depression (Treatment-resistant MDD + Dysthymia), Asperger's Syndrome, Hemiplegic Migraine, and a touch of Tourette's Syndrome for the delightful cherry on top.
Rx: EffexorXR 450mg, Prozac 20mg, Adderall 30mg, Topamax 25mg

Boards I Moderate: Depression. Antidepressants. Migraines. Sleep. Therapy. Parenting. Spirituality. GLBT.

#10 Eden

Eden

• Pip
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

Indeed.  One wonders whether the measurement of low levels of Vitamin D isn't the same thing as a measurement of low levels of stress-free walks on sunny days.

More or less what I am thinking, if low D is associated with low sun exposure it may be relevant to consider that those who commit suicide are often prone to isolation (shared causality), I would suspect in at least some cases this general dynamic would contribute to the figures.

New Dx: Psychosis NOS, MDD + Aspergers and ADHD Inattentive type w/ social anxiety.

#11 Cerberus

Cerberus

Not Entirely Human

• Inmate
  • 1908 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

In the study cited, one of the principal factors identified in causing the reduction of Vitamin D in these soldiers (aside from being cocooned in camo fatigues from head to toe) was night deployment.  So they're studying men and women shipped off to a war zone to sleep by day and facing terrors both real and imagined in the dark of night for weeks or months on end, and they seem somehow surprised at their "findings" that this group suffers a higher rate of suicides.  Must be the Vitamin D.  :brooding:

... if you gaze too long into the Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you. - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Not only am I not a doctor, I'm not even human. See your psychiatrist or physician before taking any psychoactive medication.

Dx: Refractive Double Depression (Treatment-resistant MDD + Dysthymia), Asperger's Syndrome, Hemiplegic Migraine, and a touch of Tourette's Syndrome for the delightful cherry on top.

Boards I Moderate: Depression. Antidepressants. Migraines. Sleep. Therapy. Parenting. Spirituality. GLBT.

#12 WinterRosie

WinterRosie

Staring down the spoils of war

• Admin
  • 4528 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

One of the ways that low vitamin D can be studied is to look at population groups like Canadians, Brits, Scandanavians, etc whose climate do not allow for year-round access to sunlight in sufficient levels to enable Vitamin D production. The theory is that that's why Scandanavia, despite ranking very high on the happiness index, also ranks high for suicide rates.
It is more than just that they're studying people who don't go outside, generally speaking. And as Cerb pointed out here, too, there are other factors.

Si nous ne sommes pas pro-nous-autres, nous sommes anti-nous-autres.

A diamond is just a piece of coal that handled stress exceptionally well. Oh well, there's always cubic zirconia. 

Rx: weekly injections of Standard Knowledge as needed

Note: Staff are here to think with you, not for you. Keep your thinking caps on. I've never been a doctor, not even in high school drama class, so you'll need to ask your own.

Boards I moderate: confessional, people suck, news/politics, dissociation, trauma + private, substance abuse, eating disorders

#13 Cerberus

Cerberus

Not Entirely Human

• Inmate
  • 1908 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Sooooooo many factors.  Did they control for whether or not the subjects were drinking Vitamin D-fortified milk or other dietary sources?  They don't mention.  Such factors complicate even those studies that one might think more intuitive, such as the research Rosie refers to regarding Canadians, Brits and Scandinavians - yes, these populations are closer to the Land of the Midnight Sun, but they are also populations statistically more likely to eat salmon, sole, halibut and other fish that are a significant source of Vitamin D.

#14 Eden

Eden

• Pip
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

That was actually exactly the point I was shooting for Rosie, that there are other factors, too many to currently allow for a definitive conclusion (edit: IMO).

I would put more weight in what we do know, for instance we know what D is for our bodies and it's a fair and reasonable conclusion to just flat out say "not having enough of that shit in us might increase suicides".

I keep going to abbreviate vitamin D as V D, then I realized that I would end up saying something like "a lack of V D might cause suicide", now that's some correlative evidence I could put some thought into...

jk jk of course, but still, I had a bit of a chuckle.

Edited by Eden, 05 February 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#15 Savannah

Savannah

• Pip
  • 650 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

My pdoc is the one who found my Vit D deficiency.

Bipolar 1 with psychosis

Current meds: geodon 160mg, seroquel 500mg, prolixin 5 mg, lamictal 500mg, zoloft 150mg, trazadone 200mg, rozerem 8mg, Provigil 200mg

#16 Socially Unacceptable

Socially Unacceptable

• Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

you should still wear sunscreen to avoid skin cancer and skin damage. sun screen doesn't prevent your body from absorbing vitamin D from the sun.

Edited by Socially Unacceptable, 03 March 2013 - 11:24 PM.

Diagnosis: Panic Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, Eating Disorder NOS

Previous Diagnosis: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, C-PTSD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Psychosis

Medication: Lexapro

Failed Medications: Abilify, Saphris

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.