Photo
- - - - -

how to explain health care to MI providers?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2633 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hi,

I'm running into some big problems and my anxieties are going so sky-high that I can't think straight anymore.

I just had a 30 min telephone conversation with a tdoc about why I still have to pay money even though I have medicare.

I CAN'T EXPLAIN WHY....it is the way it is. Ask a republican. I don't know what the fuck to say!!!!!!!

Tdoc asks "why do you have to pay when you are on disability?" me: "I don't know." tdoc: "that doesn't make any sense."

I did not create the medicare system. What do I tell these people?

And then don't even get me started on my child's supposed transition from healthy families program to medi-cal or medi-caid (i don't know which one and i don't know the difference). This is not my choice. It is Jerry Brown's the governor of CA made this decision - NOT ME!!!!!!!!

Arg!! I don't know how to explain this stuff and I really don't want to. I'm not being paid to educate health care professionals on the details of these various programs.

thanks for the vent,

db

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1500 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg

topamax 50mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

"Psychiatry is just this year's candy pink stove." from the tv show Madmen.

#2 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 21030 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

From what I know, if you make over a certain amount in disability, you have to pay the medicare premiums.  But if you meet the QMB status of it all (qualifying for medicare and medicaid), you dont have to pay anything.  It is based on some equation that determines your % poverty level. I really dont know any details, just this because it is what I have.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#3 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

Sister Hand Grenade of Enlightened Compassion

• Inmate
  • 2185 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Tell them to call Medicare or have their support staff call Medicare (1-800-Medicare [622-4227 iirc]) and ask for the Medicare provider line number.  Seriously.  It's a service directly for people who provide professional services to Medicare beneficiaries (e.g. doctors, therapists) and nobody ever uses it so there's no wait time.

It won't do any good for you to call the number because they ask for your Medicare provider #, if I recall correctly, and when you don't have one and your question isn't "how do I get a medicare provider number" they will probably shunt you off, but you can ask for it and explain that you want to give it to the doctor or therapist.  You may not get it, which is why I stated that the provider/support staff should optimally call.

Edited by saveyoursanity, 09 February 2013 - 06:15 PM.

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE TIME.

"There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution."

Dx and Psych Rx in profile.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#4 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Did you apply for extra help through medicare.  My Dh was paying co pays for a while before I heard about it on here and told him to apply.  They won't sign you up automatically. 

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#5 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

• Inmate
  • 2185 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

extra help as done through Medicare only helps with prescription costs.

Done through the state, like Medicaid, the QMB/SLMB (and one other acronym maybe I can never remember) programs do pay for some or all of the costs Medicare doesn't cover.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#6 TOT

TOT

• Pip
  • 612 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Edited by TOT, 19 March 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#7 TOT

TOT

• Pip
  • 612 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Edited by TOT, 19 March 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#8 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2633 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

Thank you all. :)

Yes, I have medicare and the "extra help" for part D. I do not qualify for anything else.

My child is/was enrolled in "healthy families." Per their website this program is being dissolved and all children are being moved into medi-cal slowly over a certain time period depending where one lives in CA.

As far as i know her father does not have health insurance but one would have to verify with him. not me.

I apologize to everyone on CB but I just can't write anymore about this. Stupid insurances and providers getting me in a tizzy.

I guess the real question is how do I not get "emotional" or angry at people for my inability to explain these mysteries?

db

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1500 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg

topamax 50mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

"Psychiatry is just this year's candy pink stove." from the tv show Madmen.

#9 TOT

TOT

• Pip
  • 612 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

Edited by TOT, 19 March 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#10 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

• Inmate
  • 2185 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

In situations like this, my go-to is a one sentence summary.  "I know it's extremely confusing; it confuses me too, so I don't think I can explain any further or more clearly."  THEN I refer them.  "I've been told that if my providers have questions, they should use [this solution for your situation, such as the Medicare provider line, or calling the local MediCal office, etc]."

Repeat one sentence summary as necessary.  Give referral information no more than twice.  Don't answer any more questions.

It's upsetting and distressing to re-hash all of this, which is why I literally write out these summaries and repeat them verbatim when I'm talking to anyone who wants me to go through all of this shit to help their own understanding of the situation or problem.   :wall:

I hope this helps.  It sucks rocks.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.