How soon after leaving job permenantly should you file for SS

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Savannah

Savannah

• Pip
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Once it is determined that you can not return to work, should you file for disability then, or should you wait for a period of time, say 6 months?

<p>Bipolar 1 with psychosisCurrent meds: geodon 160mg, seroquel 500mg, prolixin 10 mg, lamictal 500mg, zoloft 150mg,, Provigil 200mg

#2 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9151 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Do it now, especially if you were just let go because you were considered unable to fulfill your duties. See if your state has disability benefits, too.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#3 ovOidampUle

ovOidampUle

• Pip
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Definitely as soon as possible. If I'd done it after my last real job, my benefits would be significantly higher. But since I spent two years limping through shit jobs and unemployment, my benefit was much lower. 

It's not really designed for mental illness; I mean if you go blind or become a paraplegic, it's obvious what you "should" be earning without your disability. But I don't think most people say, "fuck, I'm depressed and can't work right now so I should apply through a difficult process that takes up to a year to complete and will likely be rejected the first go around." It took me a long, long time to f igure out that  I should be on disability. 

Dx: BP2, ADHD, aggravated crankiness

Rx: Lamictal 400mg, Trileptal 600mg, Adderal 20mg

#4 Dusk

Dusk

Giggity.

• Pip
  • 648 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

I would do it now. I got SS for depression/OCD the first time around. It took 7 months from the date I applied to start receiving checks.

DX: Schizophrenia or Schizoaffective, OCD, type II diabetes

Current psych. RX: Haldol, Lithium, Viibryd, Wellbutrin, Ambien

Tried previously: ECT, Paxil, Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, Provigil, Remeron, Abilify, Geodon, Klonopin, Buspar, Lexapro, Trazodone, Luvox, Trilaphon, Pristiq, Loxapine, Pamelor, Neurontin, Lamictal, Ritalin, L-Methylfolate, Vistaril, Zyprexa, Seroquel IR and XR, Saphris, Latuda, Clozaril, Risperdal

#5 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 21030 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

I would definitely do it now.  It can be a long process, plus you have all the info in your mind right now (meaning you probably won't leave anything out by accident because it is all fresh in your mind).

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#6 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

I see no reason to wait, you are not hatching eggs.

#7 MageCorwin

MageCorwin

Just keep swimming

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Don't wait do it as soon as you've identified that you can't work. It already takes so long to get approved odds are you will be out of work long enough by the time you are approved.

Dx: Bipolar I
Rx: Lithium 1200mg, Lamictal 175mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, Topamax 50mg, Risperidone 6mg
Old Dx: MDD, BPD
Old Rx: (short list) Depakote, Seroquel, Abilify, Geodon, Haldol, Buspar

#8 Rowlena

Rowlena

• Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

This is fantastic

"I refuse to Sink"

"The Truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off"

Gloria Steinem

DX: Bipolar NOS or II,  GAD, Panic Disorder but who realy knows...

Former DX: MDD,

RX: Brain: Celexa  40mg, 1Xday, Lamictal 200mg, 1Xdaily, Seroquel 75mg 1Xdaily ,Welbutrion 100mg, Gabapentin going to 6mg Clonazepam 0.125 prn
Other: Synthroid 75mg 1xdaily, Metformin HLC ER 500mg 4Xdaily, Givani, Multivitaman, Vitaman D

45minuets of therapy a week, love/hate but important to me

*also a terible speller! (whoops did it there!)

#9 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

Do it ASAP as it can take years to get SSDI.  If you wait, they will say you were obviously able to work but were just lazy.

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#10 Savannah

Savannah

• Pip
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

Thank you everyone. I have started working on a list of my doctors so I have them all in hand.
<p>Bipolar 1 with psychosisCurrent meds: geodon 160mg, seroquel 500mg, prolixin 10 mg, lamictal 500mg, zoloft 150mg,, Provigil 200mg

#11 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

Sister Hand Grenade of Enlightened Compassion

• Inmate
  • 2185 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

SSDI is also a form of insurance.  If you stop paying your premiums (by working), you also lose coverage.  Seriously, I applied like...  2 months before my coverage would've stopped and they were supppperrrr bitchy about it.

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE TIME.

"There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution."

Dx and Psych Rx in profile.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#12 Savannah

Savannah

• Pip
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

saveyour sanity,

I am not sure I understand your post. Yes, Social Security is a form of insurance and is paid into when working. I was not aware of losing coverage when you stop working, only that the amount they pay you may change.

So, if you were out of work in January, you waited until April (example) and had problems?

#13 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3199 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

I would file now.

This might explain what saveyoursanity meant.  There is a 5 year limit

http://www.disabilit...ed-date-lid.htm

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel

It just may be a lunatic you're looking for

Billy Joel

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

#14 tomcat13

tomcat13

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

LOL - you made me shoot mt. dew out of my nostrils...That was funny.

Yeah, if you're going to apply then do it. One day I just happen to ask my shrink if he thought I should apply for disability and he said - Absolutely said Y E S because I could not work in my chosen profession. He was in full support of my decision.   So I went to some disability alliance group, and they helped me apply over the phone; it was easy.  I got accepted in about 4 monts or so on my first try. 

DX: ADD, BP-NOS

#15 Savannah

Savannah

• Pip
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

Tomcat,
Congrats on the quick approval.

How long ago was the approval ?

#16 tomcat13

tomcat13

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

Well, I was technically laid - off when I applied (not sure what affect that had). I Probably applied in Dec or January...I was approved April 1'st. So, about 3-5 months, I'd say closer to 3 months.  I was really surprised I got so soon and without any hassles.  I get angry with my shrink because I don't feel like they listen to me, but I'm sure it was his notes/records that got me on disability....It has been such a relief, a much more useful "med" than any pharmaceutical.   I've lost so many jobs. Each job loss was just more devastating. It was just tearing my psyche to shreds...I'd have ended up on disability at some point in time, so the inevitable was just hastened. 

Good luck on your application. 

Edited by tomcat13, 07 February 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#17 Savannah

Savannah

• Pip
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Tomcat,

How long ago did you apply? I am wondering what the current times are.

#18 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9151 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Savannah, I really think it is a case by case basis. My husband just got SSDI in 9 weeks for his epilepsy. But he has incredibly bad epilepsy, and tonic-clonic seizures are pretty spectacular to see. Other people who get it the first time seem to get it at 4-6 months. But truly, it depends. I just applied 3 weeks ago, and expect to have to appeal (apropos of nothing).

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#19 tomcat13

tomcat13

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Tomcat,

How long ago did you apply? I am wondering what the current times are.

I applied around December '10/January '11, and was approved in April 1'st 2011.

#20 Savannah

Savannah

• Pip
  • 696 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

I have started filling out the disability application online. I can only get so much at a time filled out or I get overwhelmed.

Today I order a copy of my birth certificate.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.