Hate leaving my house

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BigDaddy

BigDaddy

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

But I still wish I could socialize more. Sometimes I won't leave my house for weeks, except to take out the trash or check the mail. At the same time, I wish I had more friends and I think my wife is getting bothered by it. Anyone deal with this?

Big Daddy

Lamotrigine:150mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg

#2 hagar

hagar

Television version of a person with a broken heart.

• Inmate
  • 8112 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

There have been times I've been holed up in my apartment for a month straight. I definitely understand. I, too, wish I could have friends, a partner, a life. Getting on the right antidepressant has helped a lot with this for me. I'm much less terrified of the world outside my bubble now.

"But nobody ever sees how far the things we shouldn't feel can take us. I just want to walk along the shore for an hour, watch the waves rearranging whatever they can. I like the way the sea encourages me to think about the past, as if I could leave it where it is: the moon on the water, the stars that gleam and are gone."

#3 kitkatt91

kitkatt91

• Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Yep, haven't spontaneously gone outside since I left school, and even then I only left the house if I absolutely had to. I don't really want friends and I stay indoors mostly because I am afraid to leave, but it is really embarrassing. Its difficult being with a sociable partner or having to explain to people why I am this way. Is there a reason why you don't leave the house? I cling to whatever reasons I have to go outside, even if it means forcing myself to walk around the block. The more I avoid the outdoors the harder it gets to go outside when I do need to.

#4 BigDaddy

BigDaddy

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

I was teased very badly as a young child due to my weight...my weight is very bad right now I was up to 440 though I am down about 75 pounds.

Big Daddy

Wellbutrin XL 300mg

#5 kitkatt91

kitkatt91

• Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

I'm sorry about that. I was teased very badly too, and even though its been years I still have a lot of fear of going outside. Do you and your wife have any mutual friends? I always try to ease my way back into social life by being with small groups of familiar people. its a lot more difficult facing the world when you feel so alone.

#6 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12793 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Read up on agoraphobia and see if you fit the bill.

It's important to make yourself leave the house periodically, even if it's just to buy grocieries or whatnot.  I've found that the longer I go without leaving the house, the harder it gets to do so when need to.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#7 A208B

A208B

• Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

I go with my husband (usually) to buy groceries and things, but that's pretty much it. I was doing a lot better about a year ago and had managed to make friends with another couple nearby, but since then my episodes have gotten worse in just about every respect and I've shut off a lot of communication to make things easier for myself and everyone else.

I often wonder if I make it hard for J to have friends. He swears he doesn't get the "Where is/what's wrong with your wife?" question too much when he does go out without me, but even so, he seldom goes out by himself because he doesn't want to leave me alone.

I feel for you, BigDaddy.

DX: Bipolar I, rapid cycling / mixed episodes

Current RX: quetiapine (400mg), bupropion (300mg)

Past RX: sertraline, aripiprazole, trazodone, clonazepam

Other Treatment: seeing tdoc x1/week; pdoc ~x1/three weeks

On hiatus. Be back soon! ♥

#8 ducky

ducky

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I have a hard time leaving the house too. My husband works and goes to school and sometimes I get jealous that he's able to do that stuff. I don't really have any friends and I don't drive so leaving the house without him is hard. I feel like I rely on him too much sometimes. 

Even if I did drive I don't know if I'd go anywhere. I usually go to the grocery store with him, but even that's hard on me sometimes. Like Velvet Elvis said, the longer I'm in the harder it is to get out.

Biploar, borderline personality, panic disorder, PTSD

Meds: 100mgs lamictal, 1.5mgs invega, 1mg klonopin up to 3x a day as needed

#9 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

You are doing better than me, I won't even chedck my mail.  I did go to walmart last night in pajamas and uncombed hair.  I was hoping to make it on that "people of walmart" website.

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#10 San

San

Lawful Evil

• Inmate
  • 3599 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

Moving this to Anxiety.

I've been a hermit lately. Ugh. I had to force myself to get groceries because all I was eating was rice. It sucked.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, ADHD - Inattentive

Rx: Risperdal Consta (25mg injection, 2 weeks) Clonazepam (1.5mg) Lexapro (20mg) Ritalin (40mg) Artane (PRN)

Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog 

#11 inthebelljar

inthebelljar

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

I feel like this a lot when I am depressed.  I own my own business, and work mostly from home, so it is easy to barely leave the house for weeks or months.  I have found that the more time I spend in bed, the more likely I am to not leave the house.  I have spent most of the last two weeks mostly in bed, and rarely going out.  I am trying to make my way back out again.  The sun seems to help a bit, and luckily it has been in the 60's here the past few days.  I try to go outside in my fenced backyard and sunbathe for at least 20 minutes.  Hopefully this will get me out of this funk, and into the doctors office.  I know I need to change my dosage of meds.  The best advice I have for you, is ask your wife for help if you can.  I live alone, and wish that I had someone that I lived with to see me in this state.  I would hope if I did, they would try to help me out of it.  I wish you luck!

#12 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

I feel the same a lot of the time. When I'm depressed I get very scared of the outside world. If I do make it out there it doesn't help my mood. It all looks ugly and drab and depressing. I hate being looked at, and dealing with people. Right now I'm contemplating ordering a pizza online but I don't know if I want to answer the door.. 

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1250mg (0.9mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Valium 10-20mg

#13 BigDaddy

BigDaddy

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

Going to talk to my Therapist about this next time I see them, maybe it will help.

Big Daddy

Wellbutrin XL 300mg

#14 Brokendishes

Brokendishes

• Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Wow u all sound like me...I wish my hubs could read this and understand it for once.
I get so scared leving the house, im grateful i can even hold down a job...anything beyond that, forgetaboutit! People dont get this disorder and hubs dumb family think im rude and dont like them cuz im never around...and hubs friends think i consider myself queen shit....Fact is im terrified because of my agraphobia, plus his friends are all ones he shares with his exwife...His exwife has treated me like shit from day 1 and i hate her guts...so i avoid all th shitstorms by staying home. Hubby doesnt support me hardly at all...apparently if his tiny brain cant understand it, it cant exist--dumbazz...
At least we all understand each other that we cant help being this way and arent deliberately snubbing people. This is why i frikkin hate 'normals' or whatever u wanna call them. Cuz who the hell woud want to be like this?! Obviously we cant help it!! I wish people would get a clue...

#15 Genevieve

Genevieve

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

I hate leaving my house too. Lately I hate even leaving my room. I get panic attacks when I go into the outside world. I can still make it to pdoc appointments, thank goodness, but my world is always getting smaller and smaller as I experience panic attacks in new places and then can't go there again.

I've battled agoraphobia for 10+ years. I've always had to live within 5-10 min to work because I can't drive more than that in rush hour. I grocery shop at 7 am, when the store opens. I haven't taken public transportation in years. It's hard. I feel safe all the time because I avoid everything that makes me feel unsafe. But that leaves me with a very small world to live in. And that's depressing.

Dx: C-PTSD, MDD, panic disorder with agoraphobia, generalized anxiety disorder

Rx: Prozac 60 mg, Abilify 2 mg, Amitriptyline 10 mg

PRNs: Clonazepam 0.5 mg 

Previous meds: Paxil, Celexa, Effexor XR (for 7 years), Pristiq, Cymbalta, Ativan, Seroquel XR and IR, Remeron, Trazodone, Wellbutrin, Prazosin

#16 Brokendishes

Brokendishes

• Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Genevieve thats me too...get there when the doors open and get gone! I fought hard to not do that, an would go at high traffic times....i wind up missing half my stuff because people are stupid and rude and in the way. Ive wanted a big plow on the front of my cart to just shove them out of the way! I fought it for a long tim but im back to either not going, sending my husband, or going at odd times when thered be no people. I feel like a failure for backsliding but right now im in a "crazy" phase so i work on just getting better...groceries an stuff can come later. So, i totally relate!

#17 dolores

dolores

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

I am feeling like this also, these past two weeks I was so reluctant to leave the house that I kept making excuses but the truth is I was too anxious, I dont even want to think about waiting for the bus, I can manage to go teach English a few hours a week, I get social anxiety too, I feel guilty all the time like i am doing something wrong, I m going to move also in November and i have some bills that i couldnt pay and still dont know If i will be able to pay me rent, so all of these had turn my anxiety into a living hell.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.