Coming off Seroquel = Hell

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lauraishere

lauraishere

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

This is terrible! Just need a place to complain. I haven't been to sleep and it's 7:30 here, in part due to the nasuea and in part, probably, due to the lack of drug.

I did everything responsibly and slowly with the psychiatrist, tapered ever so slowly over a matter of 3 or so months from 100 to 50 to 25, and then even tried to break that 25 in half...but still, I am getting this terrible "withdrawl." I just need to wait it out so the drug can finally get out of my system, because everytime I try I cave to the nasuea and take more. I'm even trying to get someone to cover my shift bc i feel so sick...ugh, what a stupid reason to miss work.

Did/is anyone else having as terrible a time coming off of this drug as me?

Edited by lauraishere, 06 February 2013 - 07:33 AM.

dx: bipolar ii
rx: 1200mg lithium er, 60mg propranolol, 5mg lexapro, .5mg klonopin prn

past dx: major depression, generalized anxiety, anorexia nervosa, and add
past rx: zoloft, effexor, adderall and adderall xr, vistaril, seroquel xr, ativan, seroquel ir, ambien, geodon

#2 Not me

Not me

Who am I? That's one secret I'll never tell. You know you love me. x o x o

• Chat Inmate
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

I came off it from around 200mg cold turkey, I didn't have much nausea really, but I didn't sleep for several days. I felt like shit mainly due to the lack of sleep, I suspect.

sigmark2.gif
Current Meds: Unicorns.

#3 saoirse

saoirse

"seer-sha"

• Pip
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Coming off of Seroquel was hell, at least until the hypomania set in. Then I was briefly euphoric. But yeah, it's one of the rougher drugs I've come off of, especially given that my old pdoc was a moron and had me stop it cold turkey.
dx's: Bipolar I w/ psychosis, anxiety
meds: 1500 mg trileptal, 600 mg lithium, 4 mg risperidone

"but i don't want to go among mad people," alice remarked.
"oh you can't help that," said the Cat. "we're all mad here. i'm mad. you're mad."
"how do you know i'm mad?" said alice.
"you must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#4 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2630 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

yes.

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1500 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg

topamax 50mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

"Psychiatry is just this year's candy pink stove." from the tv show Madmen.

#5 SpartanForce

SpartanForce

• Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Never had a problem coming off seroquel, always did cold turkey.

Diagnosis: PTSD, Depression, Schizoid PD, OCD and Anxiety.
Meds: Aristab 20mg PM, 10mg AM, Rivotril 0,5mg (3x), Artane 5mg (3x), Venlafaxine 150mg PM, Luvox 100mg (2x), Atenolol 50mg (2x), Losartan 50mg (2x), Glifage XR 1500mg PM.

#6 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

I go through hell if I accidentally miss one dose. Some of my symptoms include nausea, headache, shakiness, dizziness, sleep disturbance. Probably some others that I can't think of right now but those are the main ones.

Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#7 lauraishere

lauraishere

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

enlightened_plutonium, you seem like me... going for my second night fully w/o it on 0 hours of sleep. naseau still present. i am DETERMINED to get off this stuff. seems like heroin withdrawl would be easier lol

past rx: zoloft, effexor, adderall and adderall xr, vistaril, seroquel xr, ativan, seroquel ir, ambien, geodon

#8 MiaB

MiaB

another crazy cat person

• Inmate
  • 3508 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Totally understand - I wound up in the ER on a drip and heavy duty anti nausea meds when coming off seroquel suddenly.  The withdrawal is a complete bitch.  You need to watch out for dehydration, and if you haven't already, I strongly advise you to ask your pdoc for a prescription strength antiemetic to control the nausea. 

Seroquel is actually a part of my current med cocktail, and while I believe it's the most helpful drug I'm on, I feel that after my discontinuation experiences, I'm pretty much trapped now and will be on it for life.

BP1 (with psychosis), migraines

Daily meds:  Etomine 80mg, Fluanxol 1mg, Lamotrigine 400mg, Lithium 500mg, Loprazolam 4mg, Seroquel XR 600mg, Seroquel IR 125mg
PRN meds:   Diazepam 5-10mg, Maxalt 10mg
Ex meds:     Alprazolam SR, Amitriptyline, Ativan, Clozapine, Diazepam, Effexor XR, Ritalin, Solian, Tegretol, Thorazine, Trileptal, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Zolpidem, Zopiclone, Zyprexa

I am not a healthcare professional of any kind.  Always consult your care provider.

Paragraph breaks are your friend.  Extra large fonts are not.  And posting in free verse is just annoying.

#9 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

I had a bad experience missing a dose once. I was extremely nauseous. When I did eventually taper off, it was okay. Weird.  

I hope you feel better soon.

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1250mg (0.9mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Valium 10-20mg

#10 MiaB

MiaB

another crazy cat person

• Inmate
  • 3508 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

I meant to add this morning (but by the time it occurred to me I was on the way out the door to work) that the nausea and vomiting are additionally a problem because you're on lithium.  The resulting dehydration can mess with your lithium blood levels, so please get help with it asap.  You shouldn't have to suffer through this without help - demand it from your pdoc!

BP1 (with psychosis), migraines

Daily meds:  Etomine 80mg, Fluanxol 1mg, Lamotrigine 400mg, Lithium 500mg, Loprazolam 4mg, Seroquel XR 600mg, Seroquel IR 125mg
PRN meds:   Diazepam 5-10mg, Maxalt 10mg
Ex meds:     Alprazolam SR, Amitriptyline, Ativan, Clozapine, Diazepam, Effexor XR, Ritalin, Solian, Tegretol, Thorazine, Trileptal, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Zolpidem, Zopiclone, Zyprexa

I am not a healthcare professional of any kind.  Always consult your care provider.

Paragraph breaks are your friend.  Extra large fonts are not.  And posting in free verse is just annoying.

#11 lauraishere

lauraishere

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Thank you for all of the helpful tips and your own stories! I think I am FINALLY out of the woods now. My psychiatrist prescribed me some ambien to help with the sleep before we are able to work everything out more permanently. Very glad this whole ordeal is coming to a close.

BYE BYEEEE seroquel!

#12 konings

konings

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Too bad about that. I quit 300mg just so and didnt have anything. I hope youll continue feeling better. Its really individual as I had similar problems coming off of geodon.

#13 Derek

Derek

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

Sorry to hear of your problem.  I honestly never noticed much of a Seroquel withdrawal when I came off mine from time to time.  I notice AD and benzo withdrawals big time, but seroquel has been a near perfect drug for me. 

Biggest problem that happens is that I can't sleep.  And when I cant sleep, that's when the real chaos begins for me.

GAD/Panic Disorder

Current:   Effexor XR 300mgs, Ativan 1mg, Seroquel 50mg

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.