How do you unwind after work?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lifequake

lifequake

• Pip
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

How do you unwind after work?  Do you have an evening/nighttime routine?  Do anything special to relax?

When I get home, I am so amped up that I don't know what to do with myself.  Mentally, I'm usually beat, but I don't end up falling asleep until very late.

In my quest to avoid drinking alcohol to relax, I'm wondering what other people do on a typical weekday evening/night after work.  Plus, I'm just curious.  :)

Thanks.

Dx: MDD, GAD, PMDD, bulimia
Rx: Viibryd (40 mg); Cytomel (25 mcg); Vyvanse (20 mg)

"What is to give light must endure burning." (Viktor E. Frankl)

#2 helloheartbreak

helloheartbreak

• Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

On days I work I usually come home, make dinner, play with my dog, take a bath, and knit while my husband does computer stuff or watches terrible tv. Super exciting I know :)
Don't lie, cheat, steal, or quit, and be nice when you have a chance because you never know when it will be the last one.

Dx: Schizoaffective, PTSD, & Refractory Migraine
Rx: Lithobid 900mg, Prazosin 4mg, Fanapt 12mg, Clozapine 100mg, EMSAM Transdermal 6mg/24hr, Botox Type A, Retin-A
PRN: Migranal, Phenergan, Zofran
Vitamin: Riboflavin 200mg, Gummy Veggie Omega-3s, Daily Multi

#3 MiaB

MiaB

another crazy cat person

• Inmate
  • 3604 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

Honestly, most days I'm so tightly wound up after work that the first thing I do when I walk in the door is swallow some diazepam to take the edge off. Then I have a set routine which helps calm me down - feed the cats, have a snack, take my early evening meds, watch a dvd, cook & eat supper, water the garden, take my night meds, go to bed and read/surf the net for a bit until the meds kick in.  One of my pdoc's repeat refrains is that routine can be a source of comfort for me, and also help me feel in control of my environment, and I think she's pretty much right in that respect.

Dx and Rx are on my profile.

I am not a healthcare professional of any kind.  Always consult your care provider.

Paragraph breaks are your friend.  Extra large fonts are not.  And posting in free verse is just annoying.

42  (Douglas Adams)

#4 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9126 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

Maybe have a warm milky drink, like cocoa or ovaltine, in the evening. That makes you relaxed and sleepy.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#5 pinkiemarie

pinkiemarie

Master Ruminant

• Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

In the winter I eat a huge dinner (ugh) and watch tv until about 8 when I zonk.  In the summer I eat a healthy dinner, exercise, watch tv for like an hour.

Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” - Charles Bukowski

DX: Bipolar II with psychotic tendencies, multiple anxiety disorders, PMDD.

Meds: Lithium 1200mg, Klonopin .5 mg PRN, progestin only birth control pills.

#6 Odetta

Odetta

• Pip
  • 596 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

My day doesn't stop when I come home. I've got kids to pick up, homework to oversee, dinner, never ending laundry, breaking up fights between the boys. I don't relax until the kids have gone to bed. Then I either veg out with my DVR tv shows, or read. Sometimes there is wine with dinner.
Odetta

Dx: BPII, usually mixed and/or rapid cycling
Current Rx: 200 mgs Lamotrigine, 100 mgs Trazadone, 40 mgs Geodon
Previous Rx: Prozac, Celexa, Welbutrin, a boatload of whole food supplements

#7 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

My day doesn't stop when I come home. I've got kids to pick up, homework to oversee, dinner, never ending laundry, breaking up fights between the boys. I don't relax until the kids have gone to bed. Then I either veg out with my DVR tv shows, or read. Sometimes there is wine with dinner.

I do the exact same thing minus the wine.

Dx: Bipolar Disorder I, ADD, BDD
Rx: Lamictal 300mg; Wellbutrin 300mg: Celexa 40mg
FAIL: Lithium; Geodon. Abilify

#8 dancesintherain

dancesintherain

• Pip
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

It depends on when I get home, but usually nothing more exciting than fool around with a facebook game and crazyboards while eating dinner (and after for a bit), drink a cup of tea, read, and sleep. But that's largely b/c I'm dealing with low energy level right now.

Dx: bipolar I. Some ADD symptoms, some GAD symptoms. Lots of fun.

current RXs re generics of: Ativan (0.5 mg a.m. and  sometimes p.m.); WellbutrinXL (300mg a.m.); Abilify (15mgs a.m.); Adderall (20 mg XR and 20 mg IR in morning, 20 mg IR in early afternoon); Seroquel (25 or 50 mg) as emergency sleep med.

Also synthroid and cytomel (25 mcg each) and allergy drug.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (something nasty); seroquel; ambien; sonata (all worked at different points in time, just changed for different reasons); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation); geodon (sedation issues); phentermine (helped with appetite, but not with energy, which is what I really needed it for); zyprexa (was just for sleep, and strangely it wouldn't induce it); lamictal (did wonderful anti-depressant things, stopped in order to see if it was causing lethargy).

#9 lifequake

lifequake

• Pip
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for sharing.  Maybe I need to cut back on the afternoon espresso and drink tea instead hehe.

I admire that you all with little ones and kids running around have the energy and strength to work a "second shift" at home.  Your you-time must be precious!

Dx: MDD, GAD, PMDD, bulimia
Rx: Viibryd (40 mg); Cytomel (25 mcg); Vyvanse (20 mg)

"What is to give light must endure burning." (Viktor E. Frankl)

#10 Rowlena

Rowlena

• Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

I come in put my unpack my lunch bag, flop on my bed (I live in a graduate dorm), and close my eyes for about five minuets. Then I watch some TV, check my e-mail, facebook, pintrest, read for school or for plesure(depends on the day, the mood, the work load). Sometimes i'll do some art, I also knit. Then I have dinner of some sort, watch my night TV show (Monday 2 broke girls, Tuesday nothing yet, mainley hulu Wendsday(i'f i'm home from class in time) Modern family, the middle on DVR, Thursday Big Bang Theroy. I journal most nights, take my meds watch some bad TV to fall asleep to about 45 mins after med time.

"I refuse to Sink"

"The Truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off"

Gloria Steinem

DX: Bipolar NOS or II,  GAD, Panic Disorder but who realy knows...

Former DX: MDD,

RX: Brain: Celexa  40mg, 1Xday, Lamictal 200mg, 1Xdaily, Seroquel 75mg 1Xdaily ,Welbutrion 100mg, Gabapentin going to 6mg Clonazepam 0.125 prn
Other: Synthroid 75mg 1xdaily, Metformin HLC ER 500mg 4Xdaily, Givani, Multivitaman, Vitaman D

45minuets of therapy a week, love/hate but important to me

*also a terible speller! (whoops did it there!)

#11 Gearhead

Gearhead

The Iguana In a Room Full of Rabbits

• Pip
  • 1824 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Walk in the door, turn off the alarm, put down my things, reset the alarm and walk straight out the front door with the dogs in tow. Take the dogs for their walk, 45-55 minutes depending on the quality of the day's sniffing and how many people want to pet Milo. Return home, turn off the alarm, give the dogs their treat, take them down in the basement and get them settled with their chew toys so I can have some privacy. Check whatever needs checking on the computer, including Crazyboards. Change into my exercise clothes and spend an hour exercising. Stretch, feed the dogs dinner, take a shower, start laundry/put laundry in drier/empty dishwasher/fold laundry as needed. Lie on couch and read for an amount of time determined by whether I'm cooking dinner, or prepping dinner, or not. If not I may also check the boards again. Husband arrives home between 7:30 and 10:00, depending on which day of the week it is. Dinner is usually at 9:00 but can be as late as 10:15. Eat dinner with husband while watching TV or a movie. We favor BBC America and the SciFi channel but are not adverse to Mythbusters or the fascinating program about moonshining that's been on lately. You get the drift. Load dishwasher, run or not depending on how full it is. Repair to the couch in the basement to watch TV and drink 4 oz. of wine with husband, punctuated with frequent looking up of things via iPad on Google, until bedtime, generally 12:00-12:30.

Even when I'm not working, this is how my day goes from about 4:00 on. With virtually no deviations, ever, Saturday through Wednesday (husband has Thursdays and Fridays off, so I do, too, and my weekend routine has a different pattern).

Bipolar I, sports fans. Autism spectrum. With just un soupçon of migraine...

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR, 
60 mgs Cymbalta

4000 i.u. Vit. D3

Azelastine nasal spray 2x/per nostril 2x daily

Etodolac 400 mgs  2x/daily and Votaren Gel 2 grams 2x/daily for joint pain NOS

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, escitalopram, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.