3 replies to this topic

#1 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3125 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

He's 79 and blind. He lives with my mother in a condo and now they just have social security. I'm trying to find any info that will help. Some of my siblings have been sending them money, but we can't afford to and no one has asked. I found some things on ssi, but I'm not sure if they would qualify. I thought social security paid more if you are blind but I can't find anything on that. It wasn't because of his vision that he lost his job. He said something to a customer and they complained.

Also, my mother is worrying that he will have trouble finding something to do. He seemed more accepting of his vision loss the last time I saw him, but my brother says he's sounding depressed. He's had seizures so he takes keppra, which I read somewhere here can cause depression? He doesn't like the way it makes him feel, so he doesn't take the full dose and has some seizures (I'm not sure how frequently). I've been keeping them at a distance so I'm not up on things.

Edit: I talked to my dad on the phone and he sounded fine. He didn't mention anything about his job. Then I talked to my sister and she said she is going to help my dad find something to do and not to worry.

Edited by confused, 07 February 2013 - 12:56 AM.

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel

It just may be a lunatic you're looking for

Billy Joel

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

#2 shinydistraction7

shinydistraction7

I put the caps in ADHD!

• Pip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

I don't know where you live, but if you live in the states they can call 2-1-1. The 2-1-1 provides referrals to food pantries (3-5 day supply of emergency food), as well as rental assistance and help with paying other bills. 

If you're not from the states, try asking local organizations that assist with poverty-they may have some excellent resources.

<><>One of the best moments in life is when you find the courage to let go of the things you can't change.

<> I AM A SURVIVOR <>

----Always forgive your enemies; nothing upsets them more-----

Diagnoses: ADHD, Mood Disorder NOS, Generalized Panic Disorder Without Agoraphobia 

Meds: Ambien 10mg, Zoloft 25mg, celexa 40mg, Snythroid 75mg, adderrall 30mg, Visitril 25mg prn 

#3 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3125 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Thanks.  I'm in California.  We do have 211.  I'm really not sure what they would accept even if they do qualify, but I'll keep that in mind.

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel

It just may be a lunatic you're looking for

Billy Joel

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

#4 shinydistraction7

shinydistraction7

I put the caps in ADHD!

• Pip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Thanks.  I'm in California.  We do have 211.  I'm really not sure what they would accept even if they do qualify, but I'll keep that in mind.

Not a problem. Hope that they are able to be of some assistance to you.

<><>One of the best moments in life is when you find the courage to let go of the things you can't change.

<> I AM A SURVIVOR <>

----Always forgive your enemies; nothing upsets them more-----

Diagnoses: ADHD, Mood Disorder NOS, Generalized Panic Disorder Without Agoraphobia 

Meds: Ambien 10mg, Zoloft 25mg, celexa 40mg, Snythroid 75mg, adderrall 30mg, Visitril 25mg prn 

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.