Photo

what meds are you given for binge eating disorder?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 losteyes

losteyes

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I am on topamax 300 and now effexor xr lexapro was making me worse, i dont only have binge eating but the binge eating was what was making things really bad. Anyone else get percribed meds for it along with their anxiety depression?

#2 koali777

koali777

• Pip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

It hasn't been prescribed specifically for it, but Wellbutrin has been really good about making me not hungry. Sometimes it's a bad thing because I won't eat all day and then will wonder why I'm so weak, so it's good to try to force yourself to eat a little healthy. I'm on Adderall XR too though so the combination may potentiate it. I should add though that even though I haven't been diagnosed with an eating disorder or anything, before these meds I binge ate a LOT.

Edited by koali777, 08 February 2013 - 12:07 PM.

Diagnoses: Bipolar with psychotic features; juvenile diabetes; macular edema (due to over 2 decades of diabetes)

Current meds: Adderall- 10 mg twice daily; Wellbutrin SR- 150 mg twice daily; Latuda- 120 mg; Vistaril- 50 mg PRN; Trileptal- 300 mg twice daily; insulin pump; birth control

Past antidepressants: Celexa, Zoloft, Lexapro, Anafranil, Nortriptyline, Wellbutrin XL, Pristiq

Past antipsychotics: Geodon, Abilify, Seroquel, Risperdal, Saphris

Past mood stabilizers: Lithium, Tegretol

Past ADD meds: Vyvanse, Strattera, Adderall XR

Past sleep meds: Ambien, Rozerem, Restoril, Benadryl, Trazodone

Past anti-anxiety meds: Klonopin

Past misc. meds: Cogentin, various types of insulin

#3 bluechick

bluechick

• Pip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I think it would be good to know more about your history, other diagnoses and what you are on and have tried. Eating problems can sometimes be their own disorders or they can be symptoms of something else, like depression.

Even if you do find a good med combo for you, ultimately it is you who has to do the work. Are you currently seeing a tdoc and/or nutritionist? What about your lifestyle? Are you trying to make changes to that too?

Dx: Bipolar Disorder I, ADD, BDD
Rx: Lamictal 300mg; Wellbutrin 300mg: Celexa 40mg
FAIL: Lithium; Geodon. Abilify

#4 San

San

Chaotic Good

• Inmate
  • 2999 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

I've been told Zoloft can help, it just made me violent. Wellbutrin, also. CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) too, is a good idea. Probably cheaper than meds!

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type

Rx: Piportol Depot (50mg injection, every 2 weeks) Topamax (200mg) Clonazepam (1.5mg) Lexapro (40mg) Ritalin (40mg) Artane (5mg) Melatonin (5mg PRN) Zyban 300mg

Websites:  Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / WobblyPsyche Mood Tracker

#5 melissaw72

melissaw72

Pretending I'm a pleasant person all day is exhausting.

• Pip
  • 14950 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

I'm on Naltrexone for food issues.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin SR, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#6 Bipolar_Flower

Bipolar_Flower

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

I'm not on anything for my binge eating disorder. But I am starting to beat it :D It's emotional. Meds may seem like the best solution but ultimately it won't fix the problem. Once you stop the pills it's going to come back. You have to fight it off. I know you can do it. I am starting to do it and I have had BED for a year and a half. 

P.S. If your binge eating is CAUSED by another disorder or medication then ignore me lol

Edited by Bipolar_Flower, 27 March 2013 - 07:47 PM.

Diagnosed: Bipolar I Disorder, Aspergers Syndrome/Autism Spectrum Disorder

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treatment: Abilify 20mg, Lexapro 20mg, Lamictal 100mg, Topamax 125mg, Psychotherapy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a tough first year of life-suffered from neglect and my birth mother was emotionally unstable (She is most likely undiagnosed bipolar).

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.